Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm fine with Win 10 on my home PC. I'm not fine with Win 10 on my shitty old school laptop that could barely run Win 7 forcibly installing itself without my permission. It runs even slower now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Win8 user here, didn't switched - because why, really? Win8 is more than enough for my home workstation which is used only for games, music, internet surfing and video. DX12, lol. Be serious guys, you won't see any real dx12 only games worth playing for next like 5+ years. Moreso now, when AAA gaming market becomes more and more shitty with every year, and only indie developers haven't forgot that games should not be only for profit, but for fun as well.
    Well said. I personally have Win7, and I like it just fine. Will be using it on this comp until I have a new one built.

I'll say it again: I don't need something new if what I have works just fine. And as l33t said, there won't be any dx12 required games for at least the next 5 years. At which time I will probably have a new comp built. F Microsoft's intrusive " TAKE OUR FREE SHT NAO"

a pal of mine who does comps for the army installed some software on this desktop that blocks that sht. Finally got tired of looking at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Enjoy the last few years of PC gaming you have left I guess. 7 already isn't supported anymore, and games are going to stop supporting it here soon enough too.
    Hence why I use 8.1, its not 10 and is still fully supported.
    As you said: years. At which time it'll be about time for me to build a brand new comp. This one I have now is about 4 years old, though i've upgraded parts from time to time.

And support for win7 on WoW aint going away for awhile.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    I'm fine with Win 10 on my home PC. I'm not fine with Win 10 on my shitty old school laptop that could barely run Win 7 forcibly installing itself without my permission. It runs even slower now.
    Yea I don't think anyone disagrees that the upgrade notifications weren't dumb as shit. Like...I know why they did, but it was done so horribly and intrusive.

Many people did exaggerate though admittedly. I hid the update on every single PC in my office since they have to be on Windows 7 and have never had it ask to upgrade since. I don't see what people are doing for it to apparently constantly keep reinstalling itself. Not that it excuses the update to begin with, but I think it's wasting time complaining about something for so long when it obviously going to go anywhere if you could easily stop it from happening.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling Microsoft will extend this again and again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Enjoy the last few years of PC gaming you have left I guess. 7 already isn't supported anymore, and games are going to stop supporting it here soon enough too. Hence why I use 8.1, its not 10 and is still fully supported.
    wow stil lsupports XP and thats nearly 20 years old so i aint worried about it and i dnt give a shit about AAA titles

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thrackerzod View Post
    Windows 7 support does not end until 2020.
    its microsoft updates and tech support, its not every game and software vendor support , god who cares about official support its fucking garbage anyway, all they do is like most companies is have indian call centres who read off a fucking script

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It's not that they have zero progress, it's that you can't predict how BILLIONS of different people will be using your software. There is bound to be a small percentage of people that run across problems. It's jjust that even a small percentage of BILLIONS of people is a large number of people.

Also, I bought a Toyota Tacoma in 2010, in the first 6 months it had to go in for warranty work 4 times. No matter the product, they will not have 100% perfect working. Things happen.
    First, there are not billions. And second, and most important, if there's just a little tiny tiny chance of COMPLETELY FUCKING UP someone's computer with your upgrade, then DO NOT CREATE that upgrade. What the fuck is this, the fuck-up lottery? Or at least put up a big warning "CAUTION! This upgrade can fuck up your computer. You've been warned!" not add an upgrade notification that cannot be removed from your WORKING operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Security updates. Nothing more.

Security updates are all that matter. It's not like they ever added any new features in mainstream support anyway.

Windows 8.1 is still in mainstream support but we didn't see it getting DirectX 12 did we. Mainstream support means squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelorra View Post
    First, there are not billions. And second, and most important, if there's just a little tiny tiny chance of COMPLETELY FUCKING UP someone's computer with your upgrade, then DO NOT CREATE that upgrade. What the fuck is this, the fuck-up lottery? Or at least put up a big warning "CAUTION! This upgrade can fuck up your computer. You've been warned!" not add an upgrade notification that cannot be removed from your WORKING operating system.
    Bug free software doesnt exists, doesnt matter how much money is invested and how many people are working on it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like they ever added any new features in mainstream support anyway.
    It's not like they haven't been putting out some decent updates every few months. Suppose to be a new built in Skype feature coming soon. Edge is getting extension support. Some more that isn't coming to the top of my head. But yea no new features ever.

Windows 8.1 is still in mainstream support but we didn't see it getting DirectX 12 did we.
    You're right. That's why 8.1 users and even 7 users got a chance for an entire year to upgrade for a hefty price of free. To get features such as DX12 rather than waste time implementing on older OS's. Even then they could have just told the Windows 7 users to get bent and only offer the free upgrades to 8.1 if they wanted. I had to pay to upgrade from 7 to 8.1 for just one machine. I'm not exactly complaining that I got a free upgrade to 10 across all my systems.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Phantombeard View Post
    I built my pc over a year ago and had windows 7 pro installed so I could use 64 gigs of ram. I have got very use to using windows 7 but I'm worried Microsoft will stop supporting 7 and I will have to eventually buy 10. I have gotten constant reminders to upgrade to windows 10 pro, so many reminders in fact that it almost feels like its being forced on me, criminal tbh. I even had microsoft to try and "Ninja" windows 10 into my system through a disguised update. The upgrade is Free and from my understanding. So will I get 10pro because I have 7 pro. Is 10 that much different that I will have to learn how to navigate a whole new OS. Does windows 10 support all my old and new games? I guess today is the day. So what is your professional Opinion. Is it a "Smart" move? Please help?
    just get classic shell and its pretty much the same thing with more stuff
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    i regret switching from 7 to 10. 7 loaded games noticeably faster and 10 has some shitty behavior that drives me nuts. for example, on 7 i didnt use my email to sign in and now i do for windows 10 so the computer doesnt recognise me as the administrator anymore. theres no way to access that old user profile and fix it. nothing in control pannel, nothing. it acts as though the old profile isnt there and yet it is and its fucky
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can easily take control over previous user folders and files. Just ask windows to give it to you by using your administrative privilege.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

It's not like they haven't been putting out some decent updates every few months. Suppose to be a new built in Skype feature coming soon. Edge is getting extension support. Some more that isn't coming to the top of my head. But yea no new features ever.
    Windows 8.1 is getting built in Skype and Edge? Oh no, well there you go. That's what mainstream support means, nothing. Of course Windows 10 is getting stuff, it's their new baby and they want everyone to use it. Anyway this is getting off the original point; Windows 7 is not unsupported now. It gets security updates until 2020, that's all I was saying. Just correcting someone's post.

You're right. That's why 8.1 users and even 7 users got a chance for an entire year to upgrade for a hefty price of free.
    Free garbage is still garbage. It was bad enough already with the data collecting, terrible UI, and crapware like Candy Crush installed by default, advertisments in Solitaire (seriously ms?) now they are removing features from Pro. Can't have people disabling Cortana or those lock screens, it's prime real estate for displaying ads and Cortana collects all that juicy data. I used to love Microsoft and liked every Windows version all the way up to 7 (and even 8.1 isn't completely terrible) but today's Microsoft is a horrible company that doesn't care about its customers wants or needs.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/mic...indows-10-pro/
    Last edited by Thrackerzod; 2016-07-29 at 08:28 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Free garbage is still garbage.
    Well again, you're entitled to your own opinion, but Windows 10 is objectively superior. Performs better and uses less resources while taking up a lesser amount of hard drive space. Really isn't denying that when the facts are there.

Yea I don't think anyone disagrees that the upgrade notifications weren't dumb as shit. Like...I know why they did, but it was done so horribly and intrusive.

Many people did exaggerate though admittedly. I hid the update on every single PC in my office since they have to be on Windows 7 and have never had it ask to upgrade since. I don't see what people are doing for it to apparently constantly keep reinstalling itself. Not that it excuses the update to begin with, but I think it's wasting time complaining about something for so long when it obviously going to go anywhere if you could easily stop it from happening.
    I declined the upgrade notifications repeatedly. And one day when it installed updates, it decided that Windows 10 was going to be one of those updates. I didn't mind it asking me to upgrade. But when you install shit on my computer that I declined for months, we have a problem.

Security updates. Nothing more.
    And? Look at how many corporations and businesses are still using XP. Your OS doesn't blow up just because they stop releasing updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Well again, you're entitled to your own opinion, but Windows 10 is objectively superior. Performs better and uses less resources while taking up a lesser amount of hard drive space. Really isn't denying that when the facts are there.
    For an "objectively superior" OS it sure does seem to be pretty widely hated. Funny how Windows 7 still maintains by far the largest market share followed by XP even after a year of Microsoft begging and doing every underhanded thing they could think of to force Windows 10 on everyone. When you can't even give your OS away you have some serious problems you need to address. Instead they just keep making things worse instead of listening to their customers' complaints. Microsoft needs new management plain and simple.
    Last edited by Thrackerzod; 2016-07-29 at 08:37 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For an "objectively superior" OS it sure does seem to be pretty widely hated. Funny how Windows 7 still maintains by far the largest market share followed by XP even after a year of Microsoft begging and doing every underhanded thing they could think of to force Windows 10 on everyone. When you can't even give your OS away you have some serious problems you need to address. Instead they just keep making things worse instead of listening to their customers complaints.
    You got it all wrong. The one and only reason some people hesitate to move from windows 7 to windows 10 (windows 8 is a no brainer) is fear of change. Same reason people stayed on XP, refusing to go 7 (vista was a no brainer), but they eventually moved on (I hope) to 7, and now it's all over again. The same situation will repeat itself in the future.

I haven't heard a thing in "7 vs 10" that I didn't hear in "XP vs All"
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Do not get Windows 10.

Many older GPUs have no drivers or support for windows 10.

The install software doesn't care if your computer doesn't have the specs it will force it's way in and kill your computer if it isn't fast enough(keep in mind your GPU will be fucked too).

Windows 10 has less features than windows 7 or 8 it will force you to download "apps" just to perform simple tasks that used to be built in. It's a nightmare navigating this new generation of OS.
    Being pretty current, my PC had no issues with the update.

I have not missed any features at all nor have I had to install any additional apps to do anything.

Navigating is just as easy as it was in 7/8/8.1 for me. Press Windows Button, type what I want to open, press enter, it opens. Super Easy.

Windows 7: Supports dx11, won't support the next generation Intel and AMD Cpu 2017-, Will cease to receive windows update support in 2020. Released in 2009 successor to vista.

Windows 10: Supports dx12 and mantle, will support the next generation cpu. Longterm Support. Was offered for free for a year. Successor to windows 8.1.

you can use up to the current i7 skylake cpu and AMD FX Piledriver core CPUs with windows 7. At some point very quickly hardware support for windows 7 will evaporate. New graphics cards won't support it already the next line up of processors wont.
    Last edited by Packing an i5; 2016-07-29 at 08:52 PM.