Poll: Would you support this change?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb A reasonable change for PvP servers?

I love PvP servers. Nothing is like getting to duke it out with the enemy while you're out and about. However it seems like that doesn't happen anymore. If you PvP with someone and you win usually a level 100 comes by to return the favor, if you lose, usually you return the favor in the same way.

What I propose is that on PvP servers it is limited to 5 levels above you and below you. For example if you're level 15 you can PvP with players from level 10-20, no higher, no lower. This removes this ridiculous notion of being ganked by a high level player as PvP and leaves PvP among similar levels intact.

What are your thoughts? Discuss.

Edit: Perhaps the real problem is the ability to leave as soon as you gank. In the past you had to try and get to a flight master or run away on your 100% mount if you had it. Otherwise you would likely feel the wrath of someones guild. I'm really looking for some sort of change that would promote world PvP between similar levels. At this current time (outside of Emerald Dream) it appears that real world PvP is dead. I want more PvP than ganking.

Edit 2: This really isn't about ganking, its about ganking being the only form of World PvP. If your only input is "go to a PvE realm" please refrain from posting as its not really useful input. I'm looking for suggestions, thoughts, something that can be discussed.
    Last edited by Aeriedk; 2016-08-07 at 04:13 PM.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by Aeriedk View Post
    I love PvP servers. Nothing is like getting to duke it out with the enemy while you're out and about. However it seems like that doesn't happen anymore. If you PvP with someone and you win usually a level 100 comes by to return the favor, if you lose, usually you return the favor in the same way.

What I propose is that on PvP servers it is limited to 5 levels above you and below you. For example if you're level 15 you can PvP with players from level 10-20, no higher, no lower. This removes this ridiculous notion of being ganked by a high level player as PvP and leaves PvP among similar levels intact.

A "timewalk"-like level adjustment per zone could also work.

It's been suggested before and it will never happen. That's not how Blizzard wants PvP realms to function.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

better idea a low level player when attacked by someone much higher should become invulnerable for a few seconds and then be scaled up in health + damage to give them a fighting chance.

Yes, I think that would be fine. I used to be on a PvP server and loved it back in Vanilla.. but nowadays all PvP really means is being ganked while leveling an alt, so I had to transfer to a PvE server because I just got tired of it. They can still keep open world PvP zones like the ones they have in Legion, I am fine with that.

Then what will all of us bored players do when we cant go to hellfire and annoy lowbies? /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    That's not how Blizzard wants PvP realms to function.
    How does Blizzard want PvP realms to function? Max levels ganking lowbies for fun and revenge? I just don't really understand it, PvP realms are effectively dead in the area of PvP. The most PvP I see is 100s duking it out outside of ICC. Hell even while I level alts when I see the opposing faction I just wave and move on because I know there will be repercussions if I attack. Don't really see how that would be Blizzards vision.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

If you don't want to be ganked move to a PvE server.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Then what will all of us cunts do when we cant go to hellfire and annoy lowbies? /s
    Whoopsie, I think you've made a typo, and there, I've corrected that typo.

Makes sense to me, where is the joy in beating up low level players? It's like the bully in school picking on the weakest kid, doesn't prove a whole lot.
    Last edited by Dandine; 2016-07-29 at 09:07 PM.

-=Member of the Champions of the Sunwell=-

Quote Originally Posted by Morkrul View Post
    If you don't want to be ganked move to a PvE server.
    What an idiotic thing to say. Who actually wants to be ganked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    What an idiotic thing to say. Who actually wants to be ganked?
    Me. I enjoy the thrill of getting chased and hiding etc on low alts on PvP servers, especially with friends.

Ganking and being ganked are part of what many of us love about PvP servers, especially if we grew up on them.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    It's been suggested before and it will never happen. That's not how Blizzard wants PvP realms to function.
    I think it's a valid argument. I haven't had a decent world PVP fight since Wrath. The entire thing isn't even a "gank or get ganked world" anymore, it's just "get ganked." There's usually a very small number of people per server that actually do the ganking until they piss off enough people, then it's 5v1 and they log off for awhile.

The entire spirit of PVP on PVP realms is dead. Everyone has too much pve shit to do. Most assume attacking another player is just going to be 1 sided and flat out an annoying interruption to their daily objectives.

I don't play on a PvP server so perhaps I dont have the best opinion on this, but on non-PvP servers there is an option to turn on PvP when you want to. How about a similar thing on PvP realms? For instance, you start out as the OP described only being able to engage in PvP with other characters within 5 levels of you, but you can then turn on the "wild" PvP mode and engage in PvP with any level of enemy. This way you can avoid unfair ganks if you wish, or if you find it fun, you can turn it on.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Me. I enjoy the thrill of getting chased and hiding etc on low alts on PvP servers, especially with friends.

Ganking and being ganked are part of what many of us love about PvP servers, especially if we grew up on them.
    Ya no, your point of view is not a popular one. Ganking was just part of being on a pvp server that we learned to live with, but before we had the option of calling in help or logging over to a high lvl alt to deal with the problem, that's not an option anymore. And not only that but world pvp won't be balanced at all in legion because your honor talents will only be active in bgs and arena.

It's time for a change, but no doubt it'll take a while for Blizz to catch on and do anything about it. Honestly there's really no point in world pvp at all anymore.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2016-07-29 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    Whoopsie, I think you've made a typo, and there, I've corrected that typo.
    Haha, I take it you might have been leveling in hellfire recently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    I think it's a valid argument. I haven't had a decent world PVP fight since Wrath. The entire thing isn't even a "gank or get ganked world" anymore, it's just "get ganked." There's usually a very small number of people per server that actually do the ganking until they piss off enough people, then it's 5v1 and they log off for awhile.

The entire spirit of PVP on PVP realms is dead. Everyone has too much pve shit to do. Most assume attacking another player is just going to be 1 sided and flat out an annoying interruption to their daily objectives.
    Ive been lvling a new rogue recently and to be honest, the only time ive seen alliance at my level we just waved and continued killing mobs. The max levels usually never stay around long.
    Last edited by Gsara; 2016-07-29 at 09:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    Ya no, your point of view is not a popular one. Ganking was just part of being on a pvp server that we learned to live with, but before we had the option of calling in help or logging over to a high lvl alt to deal with the problem, that's not an option anymore. And not only that but world pvp won't be balanced at all in legion because your honor talents will only be active in bgs and arena.

It's time for a change, but no doubt it'll take a while for Blizz to catch on and do anything about it. Honestly there's really no point in world pvp at all anymore.
    Actually you have zero evidence to back up your statement, and Blizzard agrees with me. If you think WPVP is dead I invite you to visit Emerald Dream-US.

Sorry for your loss.

If it's red it's dead, bring your friends.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

How does Blizzard want PvP realms to function? Max levels ganking lowbies for fun and revenge? I just don't really understand it, PvP realms are effectively dead in the area of PvP. The most PvP I see is 100s duking it out outside of ICC. Hell even while I level alts when I see the opposing faction I just wave and move on because I know there will be repercussions if I attack. Don't really see how that would be Blizzards vision.
    Blizzard wants people to call in high level friends or to log onto high level alts. That's the impression I get, at least. They want PvP situations to be handled with PvP solutions, and that solution is usually to call in reinforcements. It's also why they allow faction NPCs to be killed.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

This.
    Leveling @ STV on Vanilla in a PvP server was so damn fun. Lots of times it ended being a huge mass pvp when guilds started calling friends for help. Good times that got ruined because of flying mounts and too many instanced activities.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    A "timewalk"-like level adjustment per zone could also work.
    If they ever decided to do anything I hope it's something like this. A higher level would win just because of talents and abilities, applying a stat template won't save you but it might give you a fighting chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually you have zero evidence to back up your statement, and Blizzard agrees with me. If you think WPVP is dead I invite you to visit Emerald Dream-US.

Sorry for your loss.

If it's red it's dead, bring your friends.
    I play on ED, I can confirm that WPvP is alive and well. (Stormwind just got raided today)