Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Isn't Trump / Le Pen THE argument for being against Big Government?

Liberals believe in Big Government. They think the central government should be able to directly control education, health care, housing, investment, factories, companies, and everything else. But isn't it inevitable that a crisis will arise that will scare voters into voting for a "strong man/woman"? For a thug? If you assume the liberal description of Trump and Le Pen is the correct one, that they fit into the thug category, isn't this a huge argument against big government?

Liberals create all these government mechanisms to control everything in society, and then the voters elect a dictator (who promises to protect you) and corrupts it all to personally suit him or herself? How do you prevent that except by never constructing all of those mechanisms in the first place?

Isn't the ONLY sane choice to be for small government?

But Trump is not for small government. So there's that...

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know liberals believed in big government.

7+ Year Old Account
    Trummp dunno wtf he is or what he's doing. He's just gonna have DensePence to do everything for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity82 View Post
    Trummp dunno wtf he is or what he's doing. He's just gonna have DensePence to do everything for him...
    Make America great again... and make the VP do it!

Deleted
    What? Striving for small goverment and personal freedom is the definiton of liberal. Big Goverment are authoritan left/right.

Here is how it works:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...ical_chart.svg

I don't know about that, but I think it's clear that the SCOTUS ruling that Obama did not have carte blanche to enforce immigration policies however he likes is something that people who want more open immigration should actually be happy about - it means that they can advocate for legislation and then get that legislation consistently enforced rather than policy being something that swings on the whim of a President.

Possibly. Unfortunately he's also THE argument against a bunch of other stuff, like civil liberties and good taste in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    In the U.S., the liberals are typically the big government, nanny state, big brother party. They want government to regulate all parts of your life. It might be different in other countries though. The conservatives trend towards a weaker fed government (at least weaker socially, but strong in military) and want most of the decisions to be made locally by the states.

7+ Year Old Account
    Trump/Pence is THE argument for being against democracy and pro technocracy.

#DemocracyDisease

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    When you build a big giant hulking imperial structure, eventually you will lose control of your creation.

The threat of a big, very ever present State is that eventually you will not be the one running things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Is this the French Le Pen you're talking about? Cause I really cannot see how you can group together Trump and Le Pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Depends, are we talking about how liberals started or what they have become?

Because liberalism from my understanding is not quite what it originated as.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    They really shouldn't be called liberals to describe such a wide variety of ideologies.

Classic liberalism typically is for small government and more freedom and free market.
    That's our libatarian party. unfortunately people can't be bothered to learn more about them. I feel like more people would vote libatarian if they knew more about them then what the mainstream media wants them to know
    Last edited by stabetha; 2016-07-30 at 02:46 PM.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account
    First, liberals and big government have little in common - I recommend that you look up the world "liberal" in a dictionary. Second, Trump/Le Pen is an argument against Trump /Le Pen, not a big government. Third, a big government doesn't necessarily lead to people electing a dictator. Last, corruption doesn't depend on the size of the government, it depends on the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    First, liberals and big government have little in common - I recommend that you look up the world "liberal" in a dictionary.
    Well as I commented, I don't think liberalism retains the same ideology as it originated with. That, again, is at least the impression I get. It kind of got Borg'd and assimilated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Well as I commented, I don't think liberalism retains the same ideology as it originated with. That, again, is at least the impression I get. It kind of got Borg'd and assimilated.
    Or maybe people just use the wrong word to label some ideology that, in reality, doesn't have much in common with liberalism. It is not that uncommon!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Or maybe people just use the wrong word to label some ideology that, in reality, doesn't have much in common with liberalism. It is not that uncommon!
    it because the democrates want to be thought of as the liberal party here but they aren't, the are the party of nannystate big government
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Depends, are we talking about how liberals started or what they have become?

Because liberalism from my understanding is not quite what it originated as.
    I think in the USA conservatives label anything that is not in favour of them as liberalism. Ive seen people believe liberalism hates free trade

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Liberals believe in Big Government. They think the central government should be able to directly control education, health care, housing, investment, factories, companies, and everything else. But isn't it inevitable that a crisis will arise that will scare voters into voting for a "strong man/woman"? For a thug? If you assume the liberal description of Trump and Le Pen is the correct one, that they fit into the thug category, isn't this a huge argument against big government?

Liberals create all these government mechanisms to control everything in society, and then the voters elect a dictator (who promises to protect you) and corrupts it all to personally suit him or herself? How do you prevent that except by never constructing all of those mechanisms in the first place?

Isn't the ONLY sane choice to be for small government?
    The fallacy you are making is assuming that a dictator can't exert power through a government that was "small" before him. That's not only wrong, but kind of dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    That's our libatarian party. unfortunately people can't be bothered to learn more about them. I feel like more people would vote libatarian if they knew more about them then what the mainstream media wants them to know
    People don't like libertarians because their ideas are bad, not because of the big bad media persecuting you.