Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Legion] Boomkin thoughts?

With Legion around the corner, I am having a very hard time picking a main. I usually main a Warrior, Rogue and a little Boomkin, I usually PvP but I would like to get in to the Raiding scene. Is anyone going to main a Boomkin for Legion? I know numbers are still being tuned but should they be viable for high end raiding and possible RBGs? Im really like how Boomkins play right now even without the MoonMoon spells that come with the artifact weapon. Can anyone give me their feed back on the spec in Beta or just in general?

Thank you!

Deleted
    Hi!

I have tried mosly PvE in beta and balance druid is very fun. As things stands we have great single target dps and the rotation feels so much better than before. The only negative thing about the spec is that in easier content like like regular dungeons, heroic dungeons and the low tier mythics aoe dps can be low. It takes a longer time for us to build enough astral power for our aoe (starfall) than for other classes. This will problably not be a problem in harder endgame content like raid instances. But overall, the balance druid is my favourite class in beta. And I have tried them all. And when you get the moon-spells, it will be even funnier.

Regarding PvP, my impressions are that a balance druid can do massive damage, but when you get focused by certain melee class(es), you can go down pretty quickly. Many of the melee classes have so much uptime on you. My impression is that the balance druid will be viable in both raiding and rbg:s as things stand now.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey,

Not to sound negative, balance really does have some redeeming features, but it's atrocious in Legion. Gearing up will be an absolute pain, you will have to fight for your spot in Mythic + dungeons and, even played at maximum skill level, your ramp up will make you hard to carry for the harder difficulties that are all about burst AoE which we really can't do.

That being said, once you're geared, it's really good. But prepare to have the heartbreak of being removed from a group at +6 because your class can't do +8.

Honestly, given the choice, I'd play a warlock or something like that over a balance druid but that's just me.

Highest regards,
    Nez

Stood in the Fire Lisa Frank Succubus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilnezhara View Post
    Hey,

Not to sound negative, balance really does have some redeeming features, but it's atrocious in Legion. Gearing up will be an absolute pain, you will have to fight for your spot in Mythic + dungeons and, even played at maximum skill level, your ramp up will make you hard to carry for the harder difficulties that are all about burst AoE which we really can't do.

That being said, once you're geared, it's really good. But prepare to have the heartbreak of being removed from a group at +6 because your class can't do +8.

Honestly, given the choice, I'd play a warlock or something like that over a balance druid but that's just me.

Highest regards,
    Nez
    This is exactly the problem I feared boomkins would have the second I learned about how CMs/mythics worked in Legion and it sucks my predictions seem to be right so far. Seems like people are going to still mostly want druids in the mythics for resto or tanking maybe.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabacr View Post
    This is exactly the problem I feared boomkins would have the second I learned about how CMs/mythics worked in Legion and it sucks my predictions seem to be right so far. Seems like people are going to still mostly want druids in the mythics for resto or tanking maybe.
    Just resto. =( Paladins and warriors are the only viable Mythic 6+ tanks. The damage is hyper absurd.

Deleted
    With starfall being ruined now i dont see how anyone wants to play boomkin anymore. Farming old stuff just became a pain and its not like boomkins has the best learning-curve/dps-reward ratio. Was looking for a change anyway i guess. Thank god i still have a month to prepare that char for it. 25k achievment points down the drain though *cry*

Just gonna play resto to gear. Problem solved.

Its kind of pathetic that will be what it comes to but its better than being a hindrance to my squad imo.

The 'problem' is utterly fabricated. It's amazing how one person can doomsay an entire spec, and everyone will just jump on the bandwagon with no experience, or testing themselves. Boomkins are absolutely fine in Mythic plus. Mythics aren't just about ZOMG AOE BURST either, depending on affixes. Packs don't just all die in 5-10 seconds... Boomkins will have time to do damage. Like, imagine saying you'll be removed from a plus 6 Mythic, as if plus 6 some mega hard level.

I see way to much of this in most forums. People talking shit about specs, which gives tons of people the wrong impression. People need to just stop.
    Last edited by Sarkol; 2016-07-29 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkol View Post
    The 'problem' is utterly fabricated. It's amazing how one person can doomsay an entire spec, and everyone will just jump on the bandwagon with no experience, or testing themselves. Boomkins are absolutely fine in Mythic plus. Mythics aren't just about ZOMG AOE BURST either, depending on affixes. Packs don't just all die in 5-10 seconds... Boomkins will have time to do damage. Like, imagine saying you'll be removed from a plus 6 Mythic, as if plus 6 some mega hard level.

I see way to much of this in most forums. People talking shit about specs, which gives tons of people the wrong impression. People need to just stop.
    Plus, I imagine most guilds are like mine and we have mythic groups set up for our raid members to gear our raid, and they are not gonna leave you out. If your guild isn't helpful and understanding, find a new guild IMO.

so what's a better range dps with good burst aoe for mythic+ these days? fire mage and destro lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilnezhara View Post
    Just resto. =( Paladins and warriors are the only viable Mythic 6+ tanks. The damage is hyper absurd.
    Why arent guardian druids good for mythic 6+? I heard very good things about them and have heard prot paladin is awful. Just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it just me, not getting something, or is Moonkins pretty broken ATM?

- Since we don't have the scythe yet, we don't have New/Half/Full Moon spells
    - Solar/spend phase never seem to occur (maybe because we don't have scythe yet), which means we pretty much just cast Lunar spells
    - Hurricane gone, which means no real AoE (I see no solution for this, except Blizzard caving in and giving us our beloved spell back)

Personally, I haven't been able to find out, how to play moonkin after PrePatch yet..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Obviously ....
    - Solar/spend phase never seem to occur (maybe because we don't have scythe yet), which means we pretty much just cast Lunar spells
    What are you talking about? We dont have any "solar lunar bullshit pingpong bar" anymore.
    - Hurricane gone, which means no real AoE (I see no solution for this, except Blizzard caving in and giving us our beloved spell back)
    The Solution is to simply cut the asp costs of starfall roughly into half, what would help us to maintain starfall for about 80% of the fight (With shooting stars talent ofc.) and decrease the ramp up time significantly.
    The other Solution would be to let all as it is now but increase the dmg of starfall by a far good amount that would justify the time we need to cast it for the first time (Right now, with 0 asp to start with, about 8 seconds, what is FAAAAAR to long.)
    Personally, I haven't been able to find out, how to play moonkin after PrePatch yet..
    You dont. Its prepatch. Who still wants to play that lame wod shit anyways? I dont get it.

Deleted

Single target priority: (Go to next line when conditions are met)

• Use moon spell whenever its up (Unless it wastes Astral power)
    • Both dots up on the target
    • If at 3 of stellar / solar reinforcement, cast the correspondding spell
    • > 40 Astral power AND Stellar / Solar reinforcement <3 --- Star Surge
    • If at least 1 charge of stellar / solar reinforcement --- Cast the corresponding spell
    • Solar Wrath

AoE
    • Use moon spell whenever its up (Unless it wastes Astral power) - Try to hit as many ppl as possible with Full Moon
    • Both dots up on the targets (If they are going to last for their duration)
    • >60 (50 with talent) astral power --- Meteor
    • Lunar Strike (If it hits at least 3 targets)

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree that the down-fall of Balance druids in Legion is that the burst damage is a bit low at lower gear levels, but I do not agree that it makes them non viable for mythic 6+ dungeons.

I'm not sure what to do with this post. Moonkins are fine pre-patch, you are correct, scythe will help. But after that your next two points are confusing. There are no more phases to our rotation, and you shouldn't be casting lunar strike as your main.

Was hurricane ever really a part of the AoE rotation? I can't say I used it but extremely rarely.

Here are a couple pre-patch guides (Icy Veins should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's not a bad start):
    http://www.wowhead.com/guides/classe...lance/overview
    http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/balance...-pve-dps-guide

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodroki View Post
    Single target priority: (Go to next line when conditions are met)

• Use moon spell whenever its up (Unless it wastes Astral power)
    • Both dots up on the target
    • If at 3 of stellar / solar reinforcement, cast the correspondding spell
    • > 40 Astral power AND Stellar / Solar reinforcement <3 --- Star Surge
    • If at least 1 charge of stellar / solar reinforcement --- Cast the corresponding spell
    • Solar Wrath

AoE
    • Use moon spell whenever its up (Unless it wastes Astral power) - Try to hit as many ppl as possible with Full Moon
    • Both dots up on the targets (If they are going to last for their duration)
    • >60 (50 with talent) astral power --- Meteor
    • Lunar Strike (If it hits at least 3 targets)
    i wish we had meteor

Deleted
    Now that the "solar lunar bullshit pingpong bar", as ShoopDaWhoop said is gone, I can finally enjoy boomkin again. Current rotation seems bit too simple but it's prepatch so I didn't even think everything is perfect, especially now when Artifact weapons are a big thing in our specs but not usable yet

Deleted
    Sunfire and Lunar strikes are 5yrd AoE you guys tend to forget about it, but i think Boomkin will be the new king of AoE so spot in MYthic dungeons for panzerkins will be there.