Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    In addition, there are plenty of people that prefer targeted adverts as opposed to just random adverts you could care less about. How else are companies supposed to let you know about things you might want? Targeted adverts cost them less as well. Instead of sending out a million adverts that all cost money to a million random people, they can spend less money and send out a few thousand to only people that will be likely interested, bringing the cost of advertising down and therefore the total cost of the product. How is this a bad thing?
    Well I never understood why anyone would like to see ads at all, targeted or not, but maybe I'm weird

But in any case for a consumer non targeted ads carry more information. When a company spends millions on a super bowl ad for a product I can be somewhat certain that this a larger company and confident that their product is good enough to return that investment. I also know that if a price is announced that this is the "public" price tag.

With targeted ads I can't sure how much effort a company put into the campaign and I might be seeing "special" prices.

So even if targeted ads were possible without tracking me (which I object to) I'd still prefer "public" ads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    remember there are W10 excluive gmes aswell
    Isn't that an argument FOR upgrading

The upgrade icon is gone! Finally, freedom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Isn't that an argument FOR upgrading
    Dude it was established a while back that the OP clearly has 0 clue about the topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Not amongst steam users it isn't.

Windows 10 has has only 5.5% market share less than Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8.1 64 bit. Windows 7, Windows XP 32 bit, Windows 8 64 bit, Windows 8.1, Windows Vista 32 bit, Windows 8 and Windows Vista 64 bit added together.

If you only look at the most used non-Win10 OS then (7 x64, 8.1 x6, 8 x64) they add up to 3% less market share than Windows 10 x64.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

In a couple of days, it'll be skewed even more in favour of Windows 10, which gained 3.41% market share in June 2016.

So no, Windows 10 isn't a failure in terms of market share, and it doesn't seem to be widely hated, because you can go back to your Windows 7 or 8.1 for 30 days after upgrading.
    MOST POPULARPERCENTAGECHANGE
    OS Version Windows 10 64 bit 42.94% +3.26%
    Win10 is at ~43% on Steam, not the 5,5% you say..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    yeah he is saying it only has 5.5 less than the rest COMBINED

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    Well, I don;t think it;s sensible to deny that Windows 10 had privacy issues. Some people - including me - just don;t like and aren;t comfortable with the amount of data 10 can potentially hoover up and send back to Microsoft for them to use pretty much any way they like. In fact it became so much of an issue that MS updated 10 to make turning a lot of it off easier. You only need to see some of the options you need to turn off to see how problmatic they are - particularly the ones which want to suck up your data to send you "targetted adverts"

It's really quite irrelevent as to whether a person is sifting through your data or a bit of software is, some of us just don;t want it to happen, and my big issue with 10 was that at launch Microsoft took considerable pains to bury the whole process so that users didn;t realise it was going on, took even more pains to bury the options to turn it off, or just didn;t give you the option to turn it off at all. So even they knew it was going to be controversial and caus eissues.

Your argument is essentially "nothing ot hide nothing to fear" and attempts to portray people who care about their privacy more than you do as being wrong-headed. I don;t "fear" it, I just dont; like Microsoft or anyone else knowing that much about me - because sure as hell they aren;t doing it for my benefit. If they "dont; give two shits" they wouldn;t collect it. They do care because they collect the data to flog to advertisers - and other corporations.
    Very well said, and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I am not denying that it had issues. They ar mostly resolved now though. I never recommend installing a new version of Windows immediately after it is out, however, by the time I did install it, with a fresh install, there were options to turn most of it off during the install. I have not taken any additional steps to remove anything other than turning things off at install and I have never seen a single advert, much less a targeted one. I have not had any apps force install themselves, nor any of the other horrible things that people speak of. and sure, they took steps to bury the whole process, but so does google and everyone else who collects data on you.

Seriously, nearly any site that you sign up for that gets an e-mail address from you is collecting data on you. It happens everywhere, all the time. Anytime you swipe your credit card at a store, data is being collected on you. What Microsoft is doing is no worse than what happens everyday, everywhere. Yet people lash out at Microsoft for doing it, so that they are able to keep up and compete. Just look at your mail. Half the stuff you get in your mail are targeted adverts.

In addition, there are plenty of people that prefer targeted adverts as opposed to just random adverts you could care less about. How else are companies supposed to let you know about things you might want? Targeted adverts cost them less as well. Instead of sending out a million adverts that all cost money to a million random people, they can spend less money and send out a few thousand to only people that will be likely interested, bringing the cost of advertising down and therefore the total cost of the product. How is this a bad thing?
    Just because data collection is everywhere doesn't mean that it's wise to just give up on privacy concerns. Also, there is a big difference between someplace recording information about you when you buy something or log-in to their site and your computer's operating system. One you use far more often than the others and for a much wider variety of things. Yes you can turn things off - for now - by a myriad of steps (various menus, registry edits, or 3rd party software that does it "in one click" (of course, that means you have to trust that software to do just what it promises and nothing more)), but there is no guarantee this won't change in the future.

This brings me to my biggest problem with Windows 10, and Microsoft in general at this point: trust. Before Windows 10, I wouldn't say that I implicitly trusted them, but I would give them benefit of the doubt. That was before they pulled stunts like making W10 a "recommended" update causing people's computers to upgrade without their permission. For the record, this did not affect me, as I have automatic updates disabled - that is just a scummy business practice. Changing someone's OS from under them is not an "update." Then there is the issue of Microsoft changing the big red X from "close" to "please upgrade me." It is indefensible for the universal "close this window/program" button to mean anything other than that.

It's because of these shenanigans that I don't trust them to have the power over my OS that they have in W10.

I understand benefits of W10 (such as DX12), and there are features I was truly excited about (multiple desktops, anyone?). The issue is trust. I honestly haven't decided what to do, OS wise, in the future. I may end up going Linux after-all.

Deleted
    i wish there was another provider other than mac,linux and windows, id love to have an OS that has the support of windows software but isnt windows

My only pet peeve with windows 10 is the AMOUNT of bullshit it installs on a CLEAN install. Fucking 20 useless apps I remove, some xbox one shadowplay like bullshit I am not interested in, onedrive etc. It be great if the Windows 10 N install would be a base version with just the requierements, not just the removal of some random ass media player..

I did a clean windows 10 upgrade yesterday and spent the rest of the day registry editting my ass off to lose dumb ass shit I didnt want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    My only pet peeve with windows 10 is the AMOUNT of bullshit it installs on a CLEAN install. Fucking 20 useless apps I remove, some xbox one shadowplay like bullshit I am not interested in, onedrive etc. It be great if the Windows 10 N install would be a base version with just the requierements, not just the removal of some random ass media player.. I did a clean windows 10 upgrade yesterday and spent the rest of the day registry editting my ass off to lose dumb ass shit I didnt want.
    another reason im not upgrading, as ive tweaked my windows 7 to my personal liking i dnt want to have to do it again in winows fucking 10

another reason im not upgrading, as ive tweaked my windows 7 to my personal liking i dnt want to have to do it again in winows fucking 10
    I am the kind of guy who has been using a pc since he was 4, I started with a ms-dos machine, moved to a windows 98 machine and then got my own windows XP machine. I knew everything inside out of that machine, every process, its load, why it was there, what it was doing if its load increased and wtf not, I stayed on this OS till 2012. Moved on to windows 7, and at the end of its era I knew it inside out.

I decided to upgrade to windows 10 cause it was free and its the last major windows revision, sooner or later we will all be using this in some form or another unless a completely new OS company shows up with the kind of support windows has. Yes it was alot of work and honestly im still tweaking things all the time.

Last night I seriously considered doing a reinstall of 7 but I might as well learn to use it now, it just takes some cutting away the fat to not hate it. So unless Vulkan becomes the mainstream over DX12 (good luck with that) or DX12 gets hacked in to windows 7 there is no reason to stay on windows 7 for another 3.5 years of security updates. Granted if you don't game on the machine or just play WoW then it'll do just fine but eventually you will have to bite the bullet.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wish there was another provider other than mac,linux and windows, id love to have an OS that has the support of windows software but isnt windows
    Linux, but either way you need a compatibility layer like Wine, and Wine sucks. This is why I implore Valve to fork Wine and make something that actually works. It would be in their best interests to allow people to use Windows applications on Linux. And CodeWeavers is taking Wine code and selling it as CrossOver, which deters people from contributing to Wine. Those who do will have their code denied like Gallium-Nine.

Wine's a stupid mess. It's a wonder why I can run Wii U games perfectly fine on PC, but DX9/OpenGL Windows games on Linux is like pulling teeth, and when you run of teeth you still didn't fix the issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    I am the kind of guy who has been using a pc since he was 4, I started with a ms-dos machine, moved to a windows 98 machine and then got my own windows XP machine. I knew everything inside out of that machine, every process, its load, why it was there, what it was doing if its load increased and wtf not, I stayed on this OS till 2012. Moved on to windows 7, and at the end of its era I knew it inside out. I decided to upgrade to windows 10 cause it was free and its the last major windows revision, sooner or later we will all be using this in some form or another unless a completely new OS company shows up with the kind of support windows has. Yes it was alot of work and honestly im still tweaking things all the time. Last night I seriously considered doing a reinstall of 7 but I might as well learn to use it now, it just takes some cutting away the fat to not hate it. So unless Vulkan becomes the mainstream over DX12 (good luck with that) or DX12 gets hacked in to windows 7 there is no reason to stay on windows 7 for another 3.5 years of security updates. Granted if you don't game on the machine or just play WoW then it'll do just fine but eventually you will have to bite the bullet.
    wont have to bite the bullet if windows 10 is the final OS from MS as they stated in an article a year or so ago, cant remember the site but iread it somwhere that windows 10 is the final windows ad if thats the case, wow will support it for decades to come, reason windows 95,98,me/2000 are no longer supported is cos there old as fuck and been replaced with newer windows versions where as windows 7 wont be that out dated if W10 is the final OS. the ultimate windows OS would just be to install the core components of basic windows for eample stuff it needs to boot etc and you just have a modular OS where you pick and choose what windows features you want installed on your system, im still hoping for a modular windows or windows gamer edition without all the useless bullshit you get pre installed on windows and that goes for every single windows not Just 10

wont have to bite the bullet if windows 10 is the final OS from MS as they stated in an article a year or so ago, cant remember the site but iread it somwhere that windows 10 is the final windows ad if thats the case, wow will support it for decades to come, reason windows 95,98,me/2000 are no longer supported is cos there old as fuck and been replaced with newer windows versions where as windows 7 wont be that out dated if W10 is the final OS. the ultimate windows OS would just be to install the core components of basic windows for eample stuff it needs to boot etc and you just have a modular OS where you pick and choose what windows features you want installed on your system, im still hoping for a modular windows or windows gamer edition without all the useless bullshit you get pre installed on windows and that goes for every single windows not Just 10
    If all you play is WoW then no you won't have to update but even then you are gonna out of date hardware problems, eitherway I do miss windows 7.

Deleted
    how will i have out of date hardware problems, most hardware have drivers that work with all windows platforms frrom xp onwards

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    I think you need to re-read what I wrote.

Windows 10 x64 has 43%.
    Windows 7 x64 has 30%.
    Windows 8.1 x64 has 10%.

Windows 10 x64 has more market share than the two other most popular Windows operating systems ADDED TOGETHER.

If you add ALL of the Windows operating systems that aren't Windows 10 (from Windows XP onwards), then that number is a mere 5.5% more than the two Windows 10 operating systems' market share.

I would be ecstatic about that adoption rate if I were on the board of Microsoft. If the trend continues, we'll see almost PARITY between Windows 10 and the previous OS versions from the July 2016 numbers. That conversion rate is fucking insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I think you need to re-read what I wrote.

Windows 10 x64 has 43%.
    Windows 7 x64 has 30%.
    Windows 8.1 x64 has 10%.

Windows 10 x64 has more market share than the two other most popular Windows operating systems ADDED TOGETHER.

If you add ALL of the Windows operating systems that aren't Windows 10 (from Windows XP onwards), then that number is a mere 5.5% more than the two Windows 10 operating systems' market share.

I would be ecstatic about that adoption rate if I were on the board of Microsoft. If the trend continues, we'll see almost PARITY between Windows 10 and the previous OS versions from the July 2016 numbers. That conversion rate is fucking insane.
    My fault..

I read an invisible comma between "market share" and "less than".. That way, the entire sentense shifted meaning..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    I figured they would allow some sort of loophole lol.

Deleted
    sticking with windows 7, microsoft can shove windows 10 up there ass, i mean having the X button on the upgrade menu disguised as yes i want to update jsut shows you how shady MS really is, before you have even updated to windows 10 and then people getting forced updates, sorry but having DX12 and a few FPS increase in games isnt even worth it, if DX12 is any good i expect a megathread of DX12 graphics etc in this forum, or is it ognna be like 9 and 11 nobody gave a shit about it apart from benchmarkers, everyone else oculdnt really give a crap, cos its overhyped