Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Whatever. I think this is as stupid as forcing people who get vaccines to sign a document saying, "Some people believe vaccines cause autism." But whatever.
    To inform people of what it really is you have information campaigns. By reading this label and pulling the wrong conclusion that means you are uninformed, by signing that what you state there yes that's just being willful ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Its been modified in a particular way, that matters.
    Not in a way that effects whether or not the food is dangerous in anyway for human consumption. And any nutrition difference needs only to be on the label in so far as changing the corresponding number up or down.

"If there's nothing dangerous then why not label them?" We know where this is going, because of the massive campaign of stupidity: "If there's nothing dangerous then when is it labeled?"
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    information is always good because i want the right to decide if i eat organic or not, i don't really care if a bunch of scientist tell me that gmo are best thing ever and i don't really care if by not eating gmo someone lose its job, i still want to know if what i eat is natural or not end of the story.
    Why is the distinction "natural" so important? You've probably never ate a single naturally occurring food product in your life, all of it being the result of selective breeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I see no problem with this the more informed teh consumer can be the better, everyone wins here.

If GMO food has a bad reputation it is on that industry to do something about it. The majority can always be swayed and educated.
    It's not the industry's fault that they have a bad reputation, it's a bunch of conspiracy nuts who did that. And, at that point, it becomes the governments job to educate people, and they're going in the wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Or it might help let people make a choice on what food they eat meaning they end up with less crap in it.

Like the comparison between French fries.
    There is no more "crap" in GMO's than in any other food, the resulting food is very little different from your regular selectively bred foods.

It's not a matter of laziness, it's a matter of it being effective.

When you enter an area that is dangerous, hazardous you have a single effective icon telling you that. Not a label explaining you why it is dangerous in writing. Making things more complicated just for the sake of it is bad policy.
    In what way are GMO's proven to be dangerous?
    Last edited by Lumicide; 2016-07-30 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    i love that he linked coconut water.

someone should look into the history of coconuts and where the vast majority of them are grown and processed.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Even if there's absolutely nothing wrong with GMO crops you should be able to make that informed choice without doing a crapload of research.
    You have entirely way too much faith in the general public if you trust them to make an informed decision.

Am I calling most people stupid? Yeah. Slightly more than half of the public has an IQ of less than 100 (it's not symmetric, there's slight skew).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its been modified in a particular way, that matters.

Should we label bananas and watermelons? you know we have modified those over the years also. Genetically modified even, just the slow way.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Link to sauce?
    I'm kind of in the mood for for a good bolognese.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Should we label bananas and watermelons? you know we have modified those over the years also. Genetically modified even, just the slow way.
    Well no because those genetic modifications are "safe" but doing the same thing in a more efficient manner is "dangerous"

10+ Year Old Account
    So the slow way? Your call then. Make the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Can you explain to me what's wrong with each of the things highlighted?
    Big scary words. Words so big they are scary. /SCREAM

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumicide View Post
    Not in a way that effects whether or not the food is dangerous in anyway for human consumption. And any nutrition difference needs only to be on the label in so far as changing the corresponding number up or down.

"If there's nothing dangerous then why not label them?" We know where this is going, because of the massive campaign of stupidity: "If there's nothing dangerous then when is it labeled?"

Why is the distinction "natural" so important? You've probably never ate a single naturally occurring food product in your life, all of it being the result of selective breeding.

It's not the industry's fault that they have a bad reputation, it's a bunch of conspiracy nuts who did that. And, at that point, it becomes the governments job to educate people, and they're going in the wrong direction.

There is no more "crap" in GMO's than in any other food, the resulting food is very little different from your regular selectively bred foods.

In what way are GMO's proven to be dangerous?
    Where did i say they are dangerous? I was making a point about how the easier a label to understand is the more effective it is.

No it is on the industry to launch information campaigns, they can do that in cooperation with the government of course.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Most people will still buy GMO foods. But There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with labelling them as such. You have the right to know what you're buying.

Even if there's absolutely nothing wrong with GMO crops you should be able to make that informed choice without doing a crapload of research.
    I want to know if any Unicorns were injured/killed in the making of my food. Can we get a label for that?

7+ Year Old Account
    You know who else wanted GMO labels on food? Nazis! Yeah, think about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    You know who else wanted GMO labels on food? Nazis! Yeah, think about that.
    Yeah but they wanted to put labels on everything, even people! funny lot those nazi's!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    You have entirely way too much faith in the general public if you trust them to make an informed decision.

Am I calling most people stupid? Yeah. Slightly more than half of the public has an IQ of less than 100 (it's not symmetric, there's slight skew).
    I believe the majority can be influenced and educated, it's better to do it that way even if it takes time then to try to hide it and hope nobody will ever make a case from it.

Look at those whole anti-vaxxer movement how large is that if we look at the whole western population?

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of like how even though there's nothing wrong with GMO crops, they still formed their uninformed opinion without doing a crap load of research. Or any.
    People will still buy the products they are used to and if they suddenly notice there is nothing wrong with something they have been consuming for years, it could very well have a reversed effect.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Well no because those genetic modifications are "safe" but doing the same thing in a more efficient manner is "dangerous"

Link to source saying it is dangerous.

- - - Updated - - -

So the slow way? Your call then. Make the argument.

I don't see the different between the end products. Why label one and not the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's rather unlikely. The anti-GMO crowd basically expect it to cause cancer 80 years later, not kill them within a week.
    Well that's true also, i wonder do that anti-GMO crowd also contest the amount of antibacterial medicine used in stock, excessive use even that causes super resistant bacteria's that end up being harmful for humans?

That would be a far more important issue to champion for. Anyway i do believe that information campaigns can sway opinions even in this day and age of misinformation through social media gossip and make believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccas View Post
    That's not what presidental executive power should be used for. Irrelevant if it's right or wrong thing to do.
    The president should not sign legislation that was proposed and passed by congress? Or do you mean "the president should not be allowed to pass laws that I don't like"?

Genetically modified even, just the slow way.
    This line of thinking doesn't really lead anywhere.
    Labels, like any word, are arbitrary. Any definition they may come up with will probably exclude selective breeding explicitly.
    Just like the "organic" label, silly as that one may be: most of the stuff we eat is organic (as opposed to inorganic) but doesn't meet the standard for the label.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-07-30 at 11:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    This line of thinking doesn't really lead anywhere.
    Labels, like any word, are arbitrary. Any definition they may come up with will probably exclude selective breeding explicitly.
    Just like the "organic" label, silly as that one may be: most of the stuff we eat is organic (as opposed to inorganic) but doesn't meet the standard for the label.
    Doesn't organic means grown without use of things like pesticide?

15+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with GMO foods as a general concept.

If you genetically modify say... corn, to produce a carcinogen, then yeah that's bad. But there's a strain of rice, yellow rice, that was genetically modified to produce vitamin A which is essential for eyesight. Rice is some of the only food many people in rural china get to eat, and there was a massive blindness problem. Genetically modifying this rice to have vitamin A has all but obliterated that problem.

How about this, each GMO item can be listed, and people can go online and look up what the genetic modification does and the research done on human ingestion.

I have family members that are allergic to monsanto's corn (yes, clinical testing allergies, along with consistent allergic reactions) but not heritage corn, so being able to see what type of corn is in food will be good.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Doesn't organic means grown without use of things like pesticide?
    There's organic pesticides. But for the most part, yes. There's lists with the products (pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers...) they can use.
    But it also excludes, for instance, gmo seeds (making "organic" some kind of "non-gmo" label).
    We also have organic chicken and eggs, which has to do with their living conditions more than anything.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-07-30 at 11:40 PM.