Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Shhsh! I have a secret, listen closely: "It's a movie, it is not actually real!" /midblown Who cares who the lead is?

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Tbh, I do think he looks really out of place in it.
    The demons / dragons look out of place too tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Also, when I saw the title I thought this thread title I thought it was going to be about Trump's wall.
    I, too, thought it was gonna be a movie about Trump.

On topic: I don't understand the outrage here. The movie has fucking monsters capable of scaling the wall and eating everyone on it without the help of any equipment. It would be like having a movie set in middle ages London with a bunch of Latino actors, but the movie is about those Latino actors taking on Godzilla. I don't think anyone would give a shit that they're Latino when the movie's premise screams "straight to Sci-Fi channel."

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    reminds me of the people who were like

EMERGERD BLACK STERMTROOPER
    People did that? I thought that one was absolutely brilliant.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Sure id love to see someone like So Ji‑sub play the lead ( if his english was up to snuff) but would people pay money to see him outside of koreans and a few who enjoy their cinema? Suggest an actor to play the lead other than matt damon that i would happily pay to see ( hint Cho isnt it)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chetnik View Post
    it would be like having a movie set in middle ages london with a bunch of latino actors, but the movie is about those latino actors taking on godzilla. I don't think anyone would give a shit that they're latino when the movie's premise screams "straight to sci-fi channel."
    "omgerdzilla"

Non-Asian actors in this movie: "Creative freedom! Who are you to question the director's vision?!"
    Non-white actors playing traditionally white characters: "God damn SJW agenda! Why should the director get to change iconic characters just to please the libruls?!"

Trailer looks awkward as fuck but it might work out.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I'm torn on this issue...

On the one hand, I like for actors who are portraying historical figures to be accurate in heritage. On the other hand, if the movie isn't all that serious, it's actually pretty funny to have inaccuracies all over the place.

But this. This looks like it's trying to take itself seriously and it just... isn't. Why the fuck are mongolians dragon-like monsters? Or at least have dragon like monsters at their disposal. This looks like it's stylistically trying to be 300 and is just going to fail in every other way.
    I could see if it was a film about a specific historical setting. I could see it if just a pinch of fiction was thrown in to make a plot fun and coherent.

But all of that goes right out the window the moment you throw in fantasy/sci-fi shit. At that point, you've already tossed your historical pitch to the wayside. It's like people who say a black dude in a middle-ages setting with dragons and shit "ruin the experience cuz history". Like, really? There's dragon and magic and shit and the Tolkien black dude is your historical beef? Okay.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    The demons / dragons look out of place too tbh.
    Sure, technically, but they've taken a backdrop from the real world and added a fantasy spin to it. Movies do it all the time and it's clear what the fantasy spin is, but when the backdrop has such a weird inconsistency that has nothing to do with the fantasy, it sticks out.

Thought this was about Trump's wall. Damn.

I remember JJ Abrams is one of those fools who thinks the % of races in movies need to represent the % of those races in the American population. You can see how well that worked out for the new Daily Show. Whole bunch of diverse members of every race, and sex. Less than half of them actually funny. But hey, they got diversity at the expense of their view count! That's a victory in their book.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Non-Asian actors in this movie: "Creative freedom! Who are you to question the director's vision?!"
    Non-white actors playing traditionally white characters: "God damn SJW agenda! Why should the director get to change iconic characters just to please the libruls?!"
    Not the same. The character Mad Demon plays is a new character. They didnt change a already established succesfull asian character to white for their shady agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Probably casted to make it more appealing to the western audience. Has any full asian casted movie ever done well here can't seem to remember one, with well i mean box office succes.
    Curse of the Golden Flower and House of Flying Daggers I believe are both Asian casted. Both damn good too, if you don't mind reading subtitles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickyick79 View Post
    Curse of the Golden Flower and House of Flying Daggers I believe are both Asian casted. Both damn good too, if you don't mind reading subtitles.
    Jet Li's Hero and Fearless are up there to. My dad took me to Martial Arts epics growing up.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Looks stupid and boring, why cant they just make a good historical Great Wall movie about keeping invaders out and not freaking demons.
    It would be about 5 mins long. Army rides up, sees massive wall, camera pans back, back, back, back, until the army is a spec and the wall is still stretches on as far as the eye can see. The damn thing is 21,196.18 km long (13,170.69 miles for people who use real math(jk)) and 20-25 feet tall, and in case you didn't notice, there are VERY FEW trees near it NOW, let alone hundreds of years ago, so an invading army would have had to haul trees for wood to make ladders high enough.

The reason that it would be a very effective blockade, is the same reason it would be a very boring movie.

I doubt 300 was 100% historically accurate either, it's about making a good movie. On that front I really don't know because the main trailers I've seen of this film have been very short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Not the same. The character Mad Demon plays is a new character. They didnt change a already established succesfull asian character to white for their shady agenda.
    "Creative freedom! Who are you to question the director's vision?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Anyone seen the BS going on over Matt Damon's upcoming film? People are losing their shit over Matt Damon being the lead role in a ancient Chinese setting. People's beef on social media can be boiled down to this:White guy in Ancient China=historically inaccurate.
    Interestingly, the ones that are defending Matt Damon in this type of movie are the same ones that lose their minds when the Ghostbusters are all female, or the Human Torch is a black man.

Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by yoyogeegee View Post
    waaah more over pc people complaining about everything they can.
    He says, in a thread created for the express purpose of complaining about "PC people complaining."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised a lot of people thought I was talking about Trump's wall.

"The Great" wasn't enough? I'm not trying to give people shit. I'm just genuinely curious.