Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodSense View Post
    Not a big fan of it, feels clunky to me. Would like it a lot better if I had a permanent atonement I could drop on a single target like the main tank, so I could just worry about putting the shorter buff on a hand full other dps and healers. If you've ever played a chloromancer in rift you'll get the idea. Another cast time direct heal would also be appreciated.
    While i would still prefer a shield based spec (again, not the old disc) a permanent tank atonement would at least make this spec enjoyable for me. Obviously it would have to be tweaked in other ways if this was the case, but it would be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1717 View Post

Pretty sure it was 94kg. But that pic is like 2 years old now lol. Best competition lifts are 104kg/124kg/223kg
    Great numbers. And thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Again, never once did i say i wanted the old disc back. They could have taken disc to really cool places with shields, but they took the cop-out route....and that is what bothers me. They even know its bad by saying "if people dont like disc we are ok with that", only because we have holy that we can spec.....ridiculous.
    Anything that would give everyone and the tank more effective health would make it pretty much mandatory for raids. Before 7.0 who in their right mind would require a holy when there is no disc in the raid?? Now that is what i call ridiculous.

Deleted
    And THAT is my point i tried making on the first page that people couldn't grasp, they made the spec for them not us. If they intelligently designed a shield based spec (not one where you spam the raid with PW:S) you could absolutely balance it.
    I wonder. The other MMORPG I've played alot, Final Fantasy XIV, has a healer based around absorbs and while it's pretty OP, it at least functions 100 times better than Disc. It's a pretty basic game but we can explore the absorb options:

Spell 1 no cd: Cure Potency 300(You can think of this as spell power %), gives an absorb shield equivalent to the amount of hp restored(even if overhealing). Crit has double normal effect on the absorb shield. This spell has such a high mana cost you can't use it as your basic heal.

Spell 2 no cd: AoE. Cure Potency 150, gives an absorb shield equivalent to the amount of hp restored(even if overhealing)

Spell 3 2min cd: Extends the target's absorb shields to nearby party members

Spell 4 30s cd: Transforms the next absorb shield status into hp recovery equaling the amount of damage reduction intended for the absorb shield

These are the only spells that have something to do with absorbs. Would this setup be better? You do have some interesting tools like waiting for spell 1 to crit, then using spell 3, or for aoe first using spell 2 before it hits, then using spell 4 and then spell 2 again.

I honestly would prefer that sort of a thing. Where absorbs are used when you know heavy damage is incoming, but it's not the healing method you use 100% of the time.
    Last edited by mmoc06f0881615; 2016-07-30 at 02:50 AM.

Ya that is exactly the idea i am talking about, take all the spells you know of in WoW and other MMO's and adapt them to disc.....this could have easily been done and they missed the mark.

I've mained disc since wrath. Enjoyed Cata version up until this new update the most. In my opinion they fixed the spec. The biggest reason (outside of having a kid!) I left in WoD was the playstyle this past xpac. Incredibly boring to me and I always felt chagrined in healer chat during raids...other healers came to heal too...

Quote Originally Posted by Natrii View Post
    When I first picked it up in beta...I hated it...like really hated it. I gave it another shot in the pre-patch, it is very quickly growing on me. It is really not hard to track your atonement buffs and you can have like super hots on the tank with like 6 things dotted. I mean it is not perfect, I would like for something like PW:B applies atonement to everyone inside the Barrier, Possibly like a tick renewal of the attonement buff every second while it is up, do peoplce can dip in and out for the buff for that few seconds.. That would be fun
    In a previous build there was an artifact trait that applied atonement to everyone under the Barrier. There's still one item, a legendary ring, that when casting Penance heals everyone under the Barrier, regardless of atonement status, which is probably our 2nd best legendary item - http://www.wowhead.com/item=137276/n...nd-of-promises

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasoy View Post
    Sorry, just to check, isn't Castigation a good choice in that tier? Or is it that Schism is better for raiding? I was under the impression it cost too much mana for the short benefit (I can't watch the video where I am).
    Schism's going to be worse in Legion - how this impacts our talent choice then is unclear. During the pre-patch Schism has slightly higher throughput than Penance PLUS gives the 30% dps boost for 6 seconds. I use it and it's good, but I can only confirm it's viability during the relatively mana-irrelevant pre-patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayuki View Post
    I honestly would prefer that sort of a thing. Where absorbs are used when you know heavy damage is incoming, but it's not the healing method you use 100% of the time.
    Uhm Clarity of Will?!? You can still talent that, they did not remove it >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Helelos View Post
    Atonement duration is more like 5-7 seconds of dps-heal time because of having to apply enough to make a difference during burst periods. In practice, you have to spend a lot of time prepping just to throw out a handful of gcds of healing before you have to go back applying atonement. You spend much, much more time applying atonement than dpsing or healing, so it feels stressful and tedious at times.
    Applying atonement IS healing. All atonements except for Plea do decent healing. With the exceptions of the dutiful atoning of the tanks and atoning prior to upcoming expected damage, a lot of the atonement applications are chosen based on the amount of health that player has currently lost.

Deleted
    I only wish Disc Priests could get Instant PoM back. And I personally feel i would be great if every time PoM bounced it left atonement on the char. But that's not going to happen :/

I personally don't mind Disc atm. 1 key thing to mention which may be effective atm for Discs in raids, is just how much Damage they are actually capable of doing, especially compared to a MW and Resto Druid with DPS affinity. If the DPS is really good and perhaps with 2 healers combines doing some kind of substantial DPS, then perhaps Disc will see a lot more play in raids. otherwise with the shift away from absorbs and more into direct healing, it may just be the case of "Let's just bring the healers with best throughput because Disc DPS is terrible"

That is the problem that will make disc same or even more difficult to balance than the old one. On legion raid they really doesnt heals to much so the only motive to carry a disc if the dps they can do and a bit her heals

If they do very little dps and keep the actual heals, you will want other healer
    If they do a lot of dps (close to a real dps) and keep the actuak heals.... then why choose a dps? Put at least a disc counting "as dps"
    If they heals as a normal healer, then why choose a normal healer?

But the problem is when you actually need heals to kil la boss.....usually never will pick a disc on the actual state (on legion, not on the broke pre-expansion)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Franarok View Post
    But the problem is when you actually need heals to kil la boss.....usually never will pick a disc on the actual state (on legion, not on the broke pre-expansion)
    You rarely need all healers all the time.

In my opinion, as Disc you should mostly DPS during low and medium raid damage and only properly heal during high raid damage, using cooldowns. I believe that that's how you are able to contribute in the most meaningful way.

It's fine to not like a thing.

I've been testing Disc since Alpha and have played a few times on Live (7.0) with moderate success (surely better if I truly cared). It's much akin to how I never feel the desire to play MW or Holy Pally or (most times, at least) Shaman. I don't like how the spec handles (or is supposed to handle, if you prefer), and this is totally subjective and is a fine way for me to feel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    It's fine to not like a thing.

I've been testing Disc since Alpha and have played a few times on Live (7.0) with moderate success (surely better if I truly cared). It's much akin to how I never feel the desire to play MW or Holy Pally or (most times, at least) Shaman. I don't like how the spec handles (or is supposed to handle, if you prefer), and this is totally subjective and is a fine way for me to feel.
    What a nice post This is the pretty much the truth and the /thread right there. If you dont like something, that is perfectly fine.

That said, disc feels alot better once you get your artifact ability etc. Disc is clearly balanced and made around Legion and not for the prepatch.
    The throughput and general flow of the spec is vastly different.

just wait until you guys dont out gear or know the fights then it will sink in

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzle01 View Post
    Well gear doesn't really have anything to do with it. And learning the fights takes all of what, 3 attempts? Especially when for the overwhelming majority of people who will play disc will progress on encounters after using a guide too. So you already know the fight going in to it.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by sizzle01 View Post
    I think the fact that it's priest means you can get away with that. You have a pure healing spec to switch to if you need to push healing harder. Conversely, if you play holy and it's a dps race rather than a healer fight, you can go disc and still have the "half a healer" you might need with the bit of extra dps you need to down the boss. It's a cool option to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1717 View Post
    Well gear doesn't really have anything to do with it. And learning the fights takes all of what, 3 attempts? Especially when for the overwhelming majority of people who will play disc will progress on encounters after using a guide too. So you already know the fight going in to it.
    I don't know the recommended stat weight for Disc, but to say gear doesn't have anything to do with it is stupid. Ask any class that relies on Haste whether gear makes a difference.

And THAT is my point i tried making on the first page that people couldn't grasp, they made the spec for them not us. If they intelligently designed a shield based spec (not one where you spam the raid with PW:S) you could absolutely balance it.
    It is incredibly hard to find a balance Absorbs/Temp HP against Traditional Healing. It will almost always be either Underpowered and useless or Overpowered.

The pre patch is a terrible way to judge how a class plays. Remember that since the pre patch we are all playing characters that are below level cap (emphasized by things that happen every pre patch like the NPCs in AV are now 110).

Last pre patch, you could take a couple of disc priests in the middle of a mythic raid and do most of the healing by spamming holy nova. Pre patch makes all kinds of really wonky things happen. Standing in a raid stack and spamming holy nova was not "best practice" for discipline in WoD.

I do, however, agree that the discipline priest could not exist as a completely absorbed based healer in a balanced fashion. Yes, the spec when from very low skill cap to very high skill cap and that doesn't go over well. However, with the holy pally mastery change, game play for all healers has improved remarkably as a result.