Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I guess consistency is good, but it's still a pretty ridiculous thing to be scared of. We've been "genetically engineering" crops since we had crops, just in different ways. Just check out this all natural, non-GMO banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    That often aren't even really organic. When my son was little I compared organic baby food to regular. The organic had "organic peas" water and a bunch of other added stuff. The regular just had peas and water.
    Depends on where you buy the "organic" food. If the food is from another country (such as China), we (stupidly) allow them to label and test their own products. I wouldn't trust an "organic" product that wasn't made in the USA. Not saying they are dangerous or anything, but another country might have a different standard for organic.

I am fine with this bill. People should know what is in their food and how it is made before they buy it. Isn't this the reason we put the ingredient labels on the foods in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Luccas View Post
    Wait, did that actually go throught Congress? I don't care enough and just assumed by thread title it was just another executive order.
    No, contrary to the buzzfeed level of click-bait in the title this actually was a bill that passed through Congress.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I would support this if every food item labeled as containing GMOs also came with the mountain of research showing that there's nothing wrong with GMOs.
    Er, there already is literally mountains of research showing that there's nothing wrong with GMOs.

If people want to pay more for their GMO food labelled as "organic" so be it. Most of what you each has been genetically modified through either cross-breeding programs (which involves mucking with thousands of genes) or what we like to call GMO today (mucking with a gene or two).

BTW, here are some pictures of non-GMO food:

- Real non-GMO banana

- Real non-GMO corn on the left

- Real non-GMO peach

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Link to source saying it is dangerous.
    Well I used quotes because that is the reason I see get thrown out about GMOs, not that they are actually dangerous.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GMO fanboys are out in force as usual I see. Love the misinformation on how genetic engineering and selective breeding is "essentially the same" since it changes the organism. I guess dying of old age and getting murdered in your teens is also the same then, since both leaves you dead...

Anyhow, sounds like this labelling law is written to be as weak as possible, and more aimed at sabotaging stricter individual state laws than actually giving the consumers what they want -clear information on whether or not a product contains GMO's. But of course, why give consumers what they want and let them decide for themselves if they want it or not? So congratulations, big business and state corruption won again, go on GMO fanboiz, celebrate another step towards your corporate plutocratic dream nation.

I am pro-food labeling, consumers should have as much information possible about what they are eating. GMO research doesn't support any sort of adverse health risks associated with eating GMO food, but then again a lot of special interests groups dictate the direction of research. We will see what the future holds.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Anyhow, sounds like this labelling law is written to be as weak as possible, and more aimed at sabotaging stricter individual state laws than actually giving the consumers what they want -clear information on whether or not a product contains GMO's. But of course, why give consumers what they want and let them decide for themselves if they want it or not? So congratulations, big business and state corruption won again, go on GMO fanboiz, celebrate another step towards your corporate plutocratic dream nation.
    Because labeling should be based on the merit of its relevance. If you want something new added the onus is on you to prove it is important based on evidence.

Somehow we became a people that values not giving people information.

Well I for one do prefer too much info than too little, especially about the food I'm eating.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care if GMOs are labeled or not; it's a novelty that might make me gravitate toward one or the other based on cost-effectiveness and nutritional value. What I'd really like is for it to be customary to place the kill dates on meat to ensure I'm getting the freshest cuts rather than some shit that's been sitting in a freezer for a month.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    Somehow we became a people that values not giving people information.
    Nutrition and toxin disclosure are already mandated. All the information is there.

If people want to know it contains GMOs then there's no harm in it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    There was once no scientific proof that Asbestos was bad for human either when it was first being used
    Did they do pharmacology testing on it beforehand and find nothing harmful? Using a case where there is something specific to measure isn't a great analogy.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-31 at 12:54 AM.

Hmf...it won't come as a surprise if big business tries to market the GMO label as something that people should want to look for...because it's "better."

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    There was once no scientific proof that Asbestos was bad for human either when it was first being used, the same with silicon implants. There is no scientific way of proving a long term effect of something that just started.
    Some other products turned out right. If there's no evidence one way or the other, there's very little reason to have strong opinions on the matter.

However, this line of thinking is an argument for another different label: "experimental food". For all the products including manufacturing techniques developed after X year. Just as useful, just as vague, just as fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I am pro-food labeling, consumers should have as much information possible about what they are eating. GMO research doesn't support any sort of adverse health risks associated with eating GMO food, but then again a lot of special interests groups dictate the direction of research. We will see what the future holds.
    Then wouldn't we have studies that show that GMOs are bad?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Then wouldn't we have studies that show that GMOs are bad?
    Not saying they are bad, as I've always thought regarding "GMOs" as a whole as bad is retarded (look at the merits of a specific GMO ffs), but something to point out - it often takes years, even sometimes decades, to find out something we ingest is bad for us.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

So is this everything with wheat in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    *nods*

This is about the right to know what you're eating/drinking. Period.