Thread: MW Leveling

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

MW Leveling

Anyone try MW leveling in Legion Beta? How goes soloing, quests, etc?

It's awful TBH. Don't believe the blues that "healer leveling isn't 2-3x slower anymore" (sorry blizz, it's just not true for Monks). WW wrecks shit, MW is wet noodle. Night & day. The problem is MW has no burst for a 10-to-15-second fight whereas WW will just explode everything due to some of the new talents and Energy starting at 100. Mistweaver also gets 0 DPS gain from Mastery whereas WW gets a strong DPS gain from it.

tl;dr Mistweaver probably does 30-35% of WW's damage, if not lower.
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

That's really disheartening, why would you post something so sad? I was looking forward to leveling with my MW. You went and ruined my Sunday, thanks "friend"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansdog View Post
    That's really disheartening, why would you post something so sad? I was looking forward to leveling with my MW. You went and ruined my Sunday, thanks "friend"
    Truth hurts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Just level as WW and take the WW artifact to start. When you reach 102, you'll be able to get a second artifact weapon for MW.
    Agreed. As opposed to getting MW artifact then WW one --- Not sure if it will force some artifact power into the WW one while it's your only artifact (I hope not, it kept changing during beta, hoping it was a bug), but the time gain of using the WW artifact is probably worth it regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

I was doing full-time FWing on some of our Heroic boss kills (Literally the only heal spell I used was Chi Burst). I've got a rank 1 (Heroic though) DPS parse for full-time Fistweaving in which the WW was at the bottom of meters out of dps specs and still did twice my DPS. And yes I used an int pot and everything. Still only did 43k dps to his 82k. The damage is just meh.
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    Not sure if it will force some artifact power into the WW one while it's your only artifact (I hope not, it kept changing during beta, hoping it was a bug), but the time gain of using the WW artifact is probably worth it regardless.
    All items that supply AP are on-use now, putting the AP into your currently equipped artifact, so you can keep them to put them into the MW artifact. But it's no problem to put AP into the WW artifact, even if you want to play MW in the end. The amout of AP you get while leveling is a joke compared to world quest or even questing in Suramar, and the first 13 traits are cheap anyway.

Of course it's slower but it's not that bad. You're indestructible too.

Deleted
    Considering the amount of people that will be leveling you should have no problems in leveling as MW just tagging mobs but it will not be as fast and fun as WW. I had the same concern with Druid and after testing a bit in beta I am going to level as DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    Of course it's slower but it's not that bad. You're indestructible too.
    I thought it wasn't that bad when I did 2 levels as a MW, and then I went WW, and never looked back. The difference is pretty ridiculous.

Deleted
    Windwalkers does so muich more damage. Pretty much any normal mob dies to 1 salve of the rotation. Storm, earth and fire with fist of fury, artifact spell and Whirling Dragon Punch pretty much destroys groups of mobs.

You also barely lose anything on leveling your windwalker weapon up to the first golden trait. At 110 it takes just a couple of hours to get even more traits into the other weapon. The 13 first traits costs less artifact power then the 14th trait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mistweaver is one of the better healers to level, the problem is it's right next to windwalker, and windwalker is one of the best levelers in the game currently.

Just level as WW and take the WW artifact to start. When you reach 102, you'll be able to get a second artifact weapon for MW.
    Not sure you can get the WW artifact at a higher level than what you probably already have in just 2 levels. What ilvl are the relics dropping at level 101

Not saying you shouldn't take the WW first, but if you plan to heal dungeons, get the MW artifact first of course, then get thw WW one at 102.

Honestly, the rework to Windwalkers made it very enjoyable to level with.. the artifact spell you get pretty much 1 shot stuff.

But the key to a fast leveling is to unlock Chen Stormstout.. once you get him, set him as your bodyguard on the mission table, he will tank everything for you making it a breeze. I don't remember if you unlock him at 101 or 103, but pay a visit to the class hall at every level up, there is always something, plus you are a monk, so you won the lottery of the class halls teleports (don't tell anyone how a joke it us for us to go to a "rested area" to swap a talent lol)
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2016-08-01 at 05:15 AM.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Plus you are a monk, so you won the lottery of the class halls teleports
    Wait.. Zen Pilgrimage is staying with a 1 minute cooldown..
    Will it also continue to return us to a nearby graveyard?

You can get the MW artifact from the start, and just purchase the ilvl 740 weapon from vendor to do WW.

The 13 first traits costs less artifact power then the 14th trait.
    While true, that still puts you 13 artifact traits behind. If you play to dual spec in general, this is probably not a problem, but if you weren't going to use WW in the long term, it's a complete waste.
    Last edited by nocendi; 2016-08-01 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rizso1985 View Post
    Pretty much any normal mob dies to 1 salve of the rotation.
    Any group of mobs dies with one rotation. And that's where MW really lacks, the cleave damage is abysmal (since you really only have SCK for that).

Quote Originally Posted by nocendi View Post
    While true, that still puts you 13 artifact traits behind.
    You can't count like that. Having one artifact at 14 traits (13340 AP) or two artifacts at 13 traits each (2x 6500 AP) is (nearly) the same amount of artifact power. 6500 AP might sound like alot while you level up and get 100 AP at the end of each story chapter.

But it's really not. My warrior dinged 110 on saturday. The world quests available were worth 3845 AP. Plus there are tons of quests in Suramar that shower you with AP. And even that gets dwarfed when you get your Artifact Knowledge research rolling. My monk has a AK level of 13 right now, which means 1775% more AP. Every single world quest gives around 4000 AP with that, the harder ones even more, I've got a rare up that gives 10k AP. Random heroic daily dungeon 7500 AP.

Granted, on live you'll probably need 65 days to get to that AK level. But since raids and mythic+ doesn't open for like 2 or 3 weeks after the release you'll not be far behind at all (at max like 1 trait) when you spend a couple thousand AP in your offspec weapon.
    Last edited by thebdc; 2016-08-01 at 03:44 PM.

Deleted
    And you know what? Blizzard has reduced MW monk dmg in PvP zones for about 20 - 30% lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastashifu-khaz View Post
    Wait.. Zen Pilgrimage is staying with a 1 minute cooldown..
    Will it also continue to return us to a nearby graveyard?
    Yes and yes.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Quote Originally Posted by thebdc View Post

You can't count like that.
    I disagree. Early on while building for progression not only can you count like that, you actually have to. Sure, once you've done a bunch of artifact research, the first amount of AP becomes trivial, but you're already behind the curve at that point.

Now, I get that most people probably don't care about min/maxing to that degree, and for those who don't - go ahead. But there are a considerable amount of people in this game that aren't willing to leave anything on the table.

My monk has a AK level of 13 right now, which means 1775% more AP.
    Right, but that takes 39 days to get to that level; progression raiding isn't just started at that point - it's over.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nocendi View Post
    Right, but that takes 39 days to get to that level; progression raiding isn't just started at that point - it's over.
    You're talking about what, 100 players here? Let's be really generous and say 20 are monks. How is that relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    You're talking about what, 100 players here? Let's be really generous and say 20 are monks. How is that relevant?
    I don't think that's fair to say, you don't have to be in the world first race to be doing progression raiding. There are thousands upon thousands of players who do what is progression raiding for them, without being close to a world first. Gearwise handicap still makes that harder.