Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Normally I don't give a crap about what people do with their free time, but genuinely dislike people who are into anime...

Especially when they go full on weab... I can maybe wrap my head around someone having a particular taste... You like this particular artist, so you watch the anime he draws, or you like this particular writer and his stories... But most of the people I know who are into anime have no particular interest... They watch all anime all the time for no other reason than it is a Japanese cartoon... No particular interest in the story, no particular interest in the art... It is simply another anime to watch because they are completely obsessed with Japanese shit.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Normally I don't give a crap about what people do with their free time, but genuinely dislike people who are into anime...

Especially when they go full on weab... I can maybe wrap my head around someone having a particular taste... You like this particular artist, so you watch the anime he draws, or you like this particular writer and his stories... But most of the people I know who are into anime have no particular interest... They watch all anime all the time for no other reason than it is a Japanese cartoon... No particular interest in the story, no particular interest in the art... It is simply another anime to watch because they are completely obsessed with Japanese shit.
    So you hate dislike them for enjoying a particular entertainment medium? I guess you also dislike anyone who would only care about watching western movies or who only listens to a specific music genre?

If you meant those people who are really into it and think it's the best thing ever and wish they were japanese while being unable to stop talking about it and in general being incredibly obnoxious then sure, I don't really blame you for disliking them. Every medium has those kind of fans, although I can't deny that anime probably has a higher percentage than a lot of other groups, but it's still a small minority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleckens View Post
    If you meant those people who are really into it and think it's the best thing ever and wish they were japanese while being unable to stop talking about it and in general being incredibly obnoxious then sure
    I have never met a single person into anime that does not fit that criteria.

That's purely a consequence of the environment you grow up in. The vast majority of people I've met in New York, from school, to college, to work, watch some form of anime and it's merely a show to them. It didn't matter what field they were in, what ethnicity they were, or what background they were raised in, anime was as normal as playing a sport or listening to popular music
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

You ever considered that's because those who are into it but don't fit that criteria don't just talk to anyone about it? Like I wouldn't talk to someone about it unless i know they are also interested in it. You probably met a lot of people who are into it but just don't talk about it.

7+ Year Old Account
    You do whatever you want man...don't let numbers dictate how to live your life i.e. how old you are. If you like watching cartoons, do it. Shouldn't give a fuck about what others think.

My 2c: You can never be too old to laugh.

It's certainly a stigma that's alive here and there, but not one I've ever cared for. There's certainly plenty of good adult shows out there, but also ones that just seem to think they can substitute crudeness and foul language for substance.

I think people can do great things when they aim at that "all ages" category, where it's appropriate for children but complex and interesting enough for adults. Disney has been pulling that off just fine for years and I never see anyone mind. My favorite show to this day is a "kid's show." Avatar: The Last Airbender. Though Gravity Falls certainly gave it a run for its money.

Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-07-31 at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Like what you like, nothing wrong with it. I'll be 35 in a couple weeks, and I own the full Justice League/JL Unlimited series on DVD and watch them every so often, I also own several of the DC animated movies, and a few others as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleckens View Post
    You ever considered that's because those who are into it but don't fit that criteria don't just talk to anyone about it? Like I wouldn't talk to someone about it unless i know they are also interested in it. You probably met a lot of people who are into it but just don't talk about it.
    That is probably entirely the case... But I don't care about those people and what they do, it has no impact on me at all.

But literally everyone that I know that watches anime (because they can't shut up about it) go full on Japanophile.

Deleted
    That is probably entirely the case... But I don't care about those people and what they do, it has no impact on me at all.

But literally everyone that I know that watches anime (because they can't shut up about it) go full on Japanophile.
    You just said 2 different things in one post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without those 90s cartoons I probably would not be interested about animating. And I still do watch many cartoons as long as they got good humor or story. I am interest in different animation styles but nowadays it seems that quantity over quality is better :/ and those frame by frame animated jewels are more and more rare.

I animate everything as Disney did back in the days. On paper or digital with cintiq. Every frame has it's own drawing done from the scratch.

As said before, a lot of cartoon are made for adults in the first place. I like cartoon in general. Im more oriented in adult oriented cartoons (funny, rude, gore, inappropriate). All the Marvel/DC movies were/are huge blockbusters, yet they are based on cartoons and comic books. I also like anime, in the same genre as cartoon. Some of the anime have incredible stories and are very unique, as this genre allows no boundaries and is only limited by imagination.

Where Im less confortable is when adult like cartoon truly meant for kids, like the My Little Pony fans, Bronies as they are called. Or young man that are in love with an anime character and/or have oversized pillow with their anime character on it (cant remember the name for it). This is a little disturbing and shows how lonely/desperate these people are to be loved or to love. Its kinda disturbing/sad to see, IMO. But oh well, if they are happy in the end, thats what matter.

Deleted
    This is my favourite strip from XKCD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    You just said 2 different things in one post.
    I was referring to two different types of people in one post.

I have never met a single person who has walked on the moon. Clearly it never happened.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

My theory is something along the lines of.. It's a form of story telling. TV shows (GoT ect) is a story. Books.. are a story. Theater.. is a story. Video games.. are a story.. (sometimes). Why people look down on different forms of telling a story is beyond me.

The people who are so worried about doing "childish" things are IMO the childish people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    This is a little disturbing and shows how lonely/desperate these people are to be loved or to love. Its kinda disturbing/sad to see, IMO. But oh well, if they are happy in the end, thats what matter.
    The same could be said for people that watch "cartoons for adults"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

When I was a kid, my family took me to see The Land Before Time. I don't remember the outing all that clearly, but my mom has told me that after the movie, when we were leaving, my grandfather commented he wished they made more movies like that one.

If my grandfather could enjoy The Land Before Time, I'll continue to enjoy cartoons through my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It's certainly a stigma that's alive here and there, but not one I've ever cared for. There's certainly plenty of good adult shows out there, but also ones that just seem to think they can substitute crudeness and foul language for substance.

I think people can do great things when they aim at that "all ages" category, where it's appropriate for children but complex and interesting enough for adults. Disney has been pulling that off just fine for years and I never see anyone mind. My favorite show to this day is a "kid's show." Avatar: The Last Airbender. Though Gravity Falls certainly gave it a run for its money.
    I didn't think I'd watch Cartoon Network again with Courage and Samurai Jack barely showing, but after seeing one episode of Adventure Time with my younger brother...

The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.