France media will no longer publishes the names and photos of terrorists-but....

..but it's not really necessary to say ''it's a conspiracy to hide the truth'', Marine and co. are already saying it with abandon. (It's always a conspiracy after all). I will just say on that matter that usually, what people call ''hiding that this is an Islamist attack'' translate to ''wait for 2-3 hours to check who is the culprit and presumably send a forensic team at his home before CNN'' : French media never actually hides the nationality (and religion) of terrorists, and if one french media would, it's rival would not (1)

The idea is that giving coverage and publicity is pretty much what the average Islamist bomber/shooter wants, not unlike serial killers and school shooters. Is this really necessary to publish mugshots of the Nice mad driver, for instance ? (Once again, not for hiding he is a Tunisian)

(1)Contrary to a common ultra-conservative myth, there have been in France (and other countries) for centuries right wing media and left wing media, altough even Rivarol would end up being labelled as ''pinko'' by Internet Tough Guys, but I disgress...AKA, if Marianne (left wing, supporter of the government) tried to hide something, Le Figaro (right wing, politely calling François Holland and Manuel Valls bufoons) would gladly reveal it. The discretion of French media toward certain affairs (mostly the sex life of the poltiical class-hello Mazarine) does not extend to terrorism.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2016-07-31 at 03:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    News about terrorist attacks should be few paragraphs with super short facts about what happened. Tabloids that run front page articles for weeks afterwards should be charged with aiding terrorists.
    No, you need to stop reading those stories. Simply saying they need to stop is meaningless, when the point is revenue. You cut the revenue from your click, they will stop running them. Even as a microcosm, if you stop clicking on them, your wholesale news app will stop moving them to the front of your news feed.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    If they justify this by fighting off herostratic fame then I will back them up.
    However if they justify this by protecting muslim reputation then I will not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just bomb the hell outta them. Best solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

And before people say ''SJW'', Margaret Thatcher tried to do the same thing with the IRA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post

It would be stupid to point out here that this ''tactic'' have been tried repeatedly...

It would be stupid to point out here that this ''tactic'' have been tried repeatedly...
    the solution is bigger and more bombs. Not less.

Names should not be used. Take away the notoriety that people like Omar Mateen and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get is half the battle of fixing this problem.

However, race/religion/gender/age/nationality should all be disclosed if it is relevant to the motives behind the attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Names should not be used. Take away the notoriety that people like Omar Mateen and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get is half the battle of fixing this problem.

However, race/religion/gender/age/nationality should all be disclosed if it is relevant to the motives behind the attack.
    I agree. There are plenty of occassions where releasing names have caused families to be threatened and chased away from their homes. If that is one of the reasons to no longer mention the names, then I'll be for it.

Remember the Boston Marathon bombing, when newspapers and news stations reported that someone else reported that a rumor off the internet said that one of the guys looked like some RANDOM OTHER GUY. Which resulted in him and his relatives getting bombarded with death threats even after they had been completely cleared by the police.

Terrorisms goal isn't to kill people. Its to incite terror and effect a reaction from the populace as a result. Reporting in detail, hiding in fear, and kneejerk "kill them all" reactions is exactly what they want. Us vs Them politics work best when you have an opposing side screaming "DIE DIE DIE" at you to sell to your supporters as an enemy and the root of all your problems.

That the killers are lionized as heroes by ISIS is a moot point-they are-the issue is that they crave fame and recognition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republican heads are going to spin.

I agree with not giving the actors what amounts to publicity for their warped causes/organizations on top of them receiving almost celebrity like status for a couple of days.
    Certain media outlets shouldn't push fear and panic narratives, either.
    Honor the lives lost without honoring the actors.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I don't like the French that much either, but that sounds a little extreme...

The name and face of the terrorist (or any criminal for that matter) should be displayed in the media. I understand the idea of not wanting to promote this person and their cause, but there is a downside to not showing it. By seeing the individual it is very possible that someone will be able to recognize the person and be able to come forward to the police with information about them, including where they have seen that person, who that person may have hung out with, etc. The media shouldn't continue to push the person's face and name into the spotlight for weeks.

I live in Aurora, Colorado only a few blocks from where the theater shooting took place. The media kept shoving that moron's name and face all over the place to grab ratings for a year. After the first week there is no need for that, and to discourage others from seeing it as a way to get fame, the media should refer to the person in an insulting manner if there is a reason to refer to them at all.

France media will no longer publishes the names and photos of terrorists-but....
    WTF?! People need to know their heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Yeah, if you just ignore all those bombings, shootings, rapes, etc. they'll just go away.
    What a stupid fucking thing to say.

How about instead of beating around the bush you stop importing terrorists into your country?

So let me ask the question : you think that not postiing the mug shot is the same thing as ''not reporting the attack'' ?

Also, I know this point is badly understood, but most terrorists are not ''imported'' : the two of Saint-Étienne were born in France.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2016-07-31 at 07:10 PM.

On one hand: This is good. Took American media too damn long to realize they were making mass killers celebrities. Finally, they began to cut that shit down a notch.

On the other hand: We all know that is not the intent here. The intent is to protect a certain minority group from being targeted and hated. I find it strange that only now, after extremist attacks are getting to the point where even leftists are starting to have a hard time protecting a certain religion , they suddenly decide they want to cut down on reporting on some things that would identify the attacker.

Mark my words. Anyone else commits such a crime and they will have their name, picture, high school GPA, any rumors about their sexuality, and credit report plastered all over the news for at least a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    On one hand: This is good. Took American media too damn long to realize they were making mass killers celebrities. Finally, they began to cut that shit down a notch.

On the other hand: We all know that is not the intent here. The intent is to protect a certain minority group from being targeted and hated. I find it strange that only now, after extremist attacks are getting to the point where even leftists are starting to have a hard time protecting a certain religion , they suddenly decide they want to cut down on reporting on some things that would identify the attacker.

Mark my words. Anyone else commits such a crime and they will have their name, picture, high school GPA, any rumors about their sexuality, and credit report plastered all over the news for at least a week.
    Once again, the French media, contrary to a certain POV, does said it's terrorism. The Monde, who refuse to publish the pictures and names of the terrorists of Saint-Étienne, does say that they are Muslims.