Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Malfurion seems like a terrible character when analyzed outside of World of Warcraft, but within this game's story and lore... you are comparing him to characters such as Thrall and Me'dan, and suddenly he doesn't seem like that awful of a character in comparison.
    This is actually better than I could have said it.

The moment I knew I despised Malfurion was his reaction to Illidan being freed. His brother had already spent 10,000 years in prison for his "crimes" and even in a time of crisis would have rather watched his brother, who could have been very useful, continue to rot in prison. His attitude towards Illidan was one of just absolute contempt even after so many years. That's not the part that really sent me over the edge with him.

The part where I basically just said, "Fuck Malfurion" was when he confronted Tyrande and Illidan during his prison break. Tyrande had killed the guards of the prison. People who were just doing their job of standing watch over prisoners like Illidan. Malfurion didn't even really give a shit. Where was his sense of justice then? Shouldn't Tyrande have been sentenced to death or lengthy imprisonment for her actions? No. All Malfurion cared about was that Illidan was now free after 10,000 freaking years and he didn't like it one bit. He just swept Tyrande's quite recent murderous deeds right under the rug while he continued to condemn Illidan in his mind for something that happened countless lifetimes ago.

"Mafurion abused Illidan". I mean what? you mean Illidan who in WotA betrayed the fuk out of his brother? The guy led Varo'Then to captured and stole Dragon Soul from Malfurion.

And Malfurion saved Illidan from certain death at the end of WotA. He was to be killed by Maiev. Malfurion spoke on Illidan's behalf.

I mean you can dislike the character for various reasons but at least get your fact straight. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varteras View Post
    The moment I knew I despised Malfurion was his reaction to Illidan being freed. His brother had already spent 10,000 years in prison for his "crimes" and even in a time of crisis would have rather watched his brother, who could have been very useful, continue to rot in prison. His attitude towards Illidan was one of just absolute contempt even after so many years. That's not the part that really sent me over the edge with him.

The part where I basically just said, "Fuck Malfurion" was when he confronted Tyrande and Illidan during his prison break. Tyrande had killed the guards of the prison. People who were just doing their job of standing watch over prisoners like Illidan. Malfurion didn't even really give a shit. Where was his sense of justice then? Shouldn't Tyrande have been sentenced to death or lengthy imprisonment for her actions? No. All Malfurion cared about was that Illidan was now free after 10,000 freaking years and he didn't like it one bit. He just swept Tyrande's quite recent murderous deeds right under the rug while he continued to condemn Illidan in his mind for something that happened countless lifetimes ago.
    You do know how evil Illidan's betrayal was in WC3's context right? and you do know that the responsibility of the leader weighted on the Malfurion too right. How would night elf people would react if their leader just freed his brother just like that. That's why Malfurion stated that he would have no part in this.

Characters are allowed to have bias. That's why Maiev thought Malfurion was no better than his brother. She despised that Malfurion let Illidan go.

- - - Updated - - -

also the
    we should not retaliate crap
    also deciding night elves should stay mortal(this is one is a major kick in the teeth, seeing as there are conflicting stories on if night elves have trouble making babies or not. we do know tyrande cant have any.)
    Another misinformation. He could not decide if the night elves should stay mortal or not. He had no power to. He just warned against such a selfish act and he was right. Fandral was rejected by the Aspects.

A lot of people went "why this guy was such a dick to my favorite character(Illidan)? this guy is terrible."

Let's explore Malfurion's options at the end of the mission in Felwood.

1.Kill Illidan on the spot.
    2.Imprison him again.
    3.Banish him.
    4.Accept him back into the society.

Let's just say if it were me I would imprison Illidan again because he was only freed to help fight. His punishment was still in effect. What options do you gus think were realistic and rational? Malfurion made the 3rd choice which I think was terrible too but not because he was a dick but because he let Illidan go despite his responsibility to uphold the law.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-07-31 at 08:05 PM.

better be killed than being sentenced in prison for eternity. believe me, I would rather die then live through that shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    also deciding night elves should stay mortal(this is one is a major kick in the teeth, seeing as there are conflicting stories on if night elves have trouble making babies or not. we do know tyrande cant have any.)

If this confirmed as being 100% fact? All I thought was confirmed was that she hadn't had any and that she was discouraged, but I mean, her man has spend the vast majority of the past 10,000 years away from her (and damn, that woman must have absolute perfect control over her, uh, "needs" for her to have to not sought amusement elsewhere at least some points during that time, but that's another topic.)

Yeah, it's kind of a catch-22

Character is flawed - playerbase hates him because he does bad things

Character isn't flawed - playerbase hates him because he's just too damn perfect

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    better be killed than being sentenced in prison for eternity. believe me, I would rather die then live through that shit.
    The intention was not to torment Illidan. It was an act of mercy and it was as much as he could do while everyone was hellbent on killing Illidan.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-07-31 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    The intention was not to torment Illidan.
    oh yeah I know. killing him would be bad but imprisoning him for eternity just to sate your own ass is no big deal.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2016-07-31 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    If this confirmed as being 100% fact? All I thought was confirmed was that she hadn't had any and that she was discouraged, but I mean, her man has spend the vast majority of the past 10,000 years away from her (and damn, that woman must have absolute perfect control over her, uh, "needs" for her to have to not sought amusement elsewhere at least some points during that time, but that's another topic.)
    They did in it the their dreams. lol
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-07-31 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    Don't forget that Malf interfering directly resulted in the Frozen Throne not being destroyed by Illidan's spell, resulting in Arthas becoming the Lich King and all the shit that ensued. "but the earth hurt, why you hurt earth Illidan!?"
    He wasn't just going to destroy the Frozen Throne.
    He planned to destroy Northrend. All of it. Quite apart from the many innocents that would have been killed, Yogg Saron would likely have been completely freed from its prison and we would have known nothing about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    he failed to think WHY would my brother do these things, also failing to see reason, the best example of why i hate malf...

"illidan, a demonic beast, standing over a dead dreadlord who had been corrupting the forests of kalimdor, ruining felwood, and soon darkshore and ashenvale"
    Malf: illidan what the fuck? get out of my sight you monster
    Illi: what but, i... what!? fuck... fine, cya bitch...

>_>

- - - Updated - - -

and i dont think most of the people are saying they hate him because of bad writing... most are saying they hate him cause hes a bitch... but there are a few...
    I dont mind people disliking him. At all. I dislike him aswell for the way he behaved towards illidan. Plus this kind of guy should never end up getting the girl.

But that doesnt mean he is badly written

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    "He has a reason for his change we are just not going to tell you and noone will ever know since he is dead now."
    Seems like a cop-out to me.
    I just find it kinda sad that people actually care.

I mean i do care about lore. I follow it. But if something happens that i dont like(happened plenty of times) i dont bitch and whine about it. I just cant get myself to start blaming people for bad writing like so many on mmo-c are doing towards blizzard.

I'm sure they have sat down and talked about why they do the things they do and found a valid reason. If you really want to know ask them.

I just think all this excessive whining there is on mmo-c about every little thing blizzard does is fucking embarrassing.

its literally the reason blizzard doesnt read mmo-c that much and mostly laugh about it when they hey "some ppl on mmo-c said this".

Mmo-c has basicly become a laughing stock because of whiners and bad mods :/

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    He wasn't just going to destroy the Frozen Throne.
    He planned to destroy Northrend. All of it. Quite apart from the many innocents that would have been killed, Yogg Saron would likely have been completely freed from its prison and we would have known nothing about it.
    The funny thing is people are trying to find redeeming qualities in Illidan's actions. I think I have seen some people who actually said that people who imprisoned Illidan were actually evil when Illidan originally in WC3's WotA commited the worst crime possible in a war which was telling your people's enemies of the plan of your people. -_-"

Blizzard would not have come out with recent retcons to whitewash Illidan if the guy wasn't a total scumbag back then.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    The funny thing is people are trying to find redeeming qualities in Illidan's actions. I think I have seen some people who actually said that people who imprisoned Illidan were actually evil when Illidan originally in .......

Personally, i have no problem with the imprisonment, just the extreme length, which IMO goes well past the cruelty limit no matter how bad his behavior was in whichever version of events. If he was really that fucking evil, they should have executed him and been done with it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    Don't forget that Malf interfering directly resulted in the Frozen Throne not being destroyed by Illidan's spell, resulting in Arthas becoming the Lich King and all the shit that ensued. "but the earth hurt, why you hurt earth Illidan!?"
    "cry"
    you have remind of sad childhood
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Did he? Look at Fellwood. What part of it is still non-corrupted?
    Look at Ashenvale and Darkshore the two neighbouring zones. Both of those are unaffected and likely would have been corrupted if not for the intervention.

You do know how evil Illidan's betrayal was in WC3's context right? and you do know that the responsibility of the leader weighted on the Malfurion too right. How would night elf people would react if their leader just freed his brother just like that. That's why Malfurion stated that he would have no part in this.

Characters are allowed to have bias. That's why Maiev thought Malfurion was no better than his brother. She despised that Malfurion let Illidan go.
    I'm well aware of the weight Illidan's actions at the time had. Just because a character is allowed to be written with bias doesn't mean I have to accept that character's actions and like the character regardless. Tyrande committed multiple murders to release someone who was just "SOOO EVIL". Malfurion didn't even blink. Did not in the least bit hold Tyrande accountable for her actions of murder and releasing someone as "evil" as Illidan. That is an outrageous bias Malfurion has. One in which Tyrande is allowed to commit a series of heinous crimes and walk free but Illidan, his own brother, deserves to be buried and forgotten for his. You can paint Malfurion as a victim of circumstance all you want but from my view, his actions and contempt towards his own flesh and blood for things he would let Tyrande get away with is all I need to hope Malfurion gets his in the end.

I'm well aware of the weight Illidan's actions at the time had. Just because a character is allowed to be written with bias doesn't mean I have to accept that character's actions and like the character regardless. Tyrande committed multiple murders to release someone who was just "SOOO EVIL". Malfurion didn't even blink. Did not in the least bit hold Tyrande accountable for her actions of murder and releasing someone as "evil" as Illidan. That is an outrageous bias Malfurion has. One in which Tyrande is allowed to commit a series of heinous crimes and walk free but Illidan, his own brother, deserves to be buried and forgotten for his. You can paint Malfurion as a victim of circumstance all you want but from my view, his actions and contempt towards his own flesh and blood for things he would let Tyrande get away with is all I need to hope Malfurion gets his in the end.
    OR it was just a moment of particularly awful writing in a sea of bad writing.

I mean, according to the WarCraft 3 mission Illidan was condemned by Elune herself, and yet Tyrande never faces any repercussions for it. Tyrande murders a bunch of her own people to free a lawfully imprisoned criminal, and nobody (not just Malfurion) questions it. Well, except for Maiev, and she was basically made into a villain for it.

Think about it. How can anybody trust a leader who murders her own people and opposes the will of the goddess she's supposed to be bosom buddies with just because she has the urge to free somebody who sold out the entire world multiple times in his lust for power? Talk about favoritism.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is still a gaping hole in the entire Malf/Illidan/Tyrande/Maive story, IMO. I hold Tyrande more accountable for it because it's not even clear to me at which point Mal even knew exactly how far Tyrande went in there since he didn't witness it personally. And Tyrande has never had the slightest bit of remorse -- in fact she only ever got bitchy when questioned about it. God, no wonder Maiev left her for dead. . I mean, that wasn't the right thing to do and i'm not saying it was, but putting myself in the shoes of the Maiev character, I can only imagine the frustration at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    OR it was just a moment of particularly awful writing in a sea of bad writing.

I mean, according to the WarCraft 3 mission Illidan was condemned by Elune herself, and yet Tyrande never faces any repercussions for it. Tyrande murders a bunch of her own people to free a lawfully imprisoned criminal, and nobody (not just Malfurion) questions it. Well, except for Maiev, and she was basically made into a villain for it.

Think about it. How can anybody trust a leader who murders her own people and opposes the will of the goddess she's supposed to be bosom buddies with just because she has the urge to free somebody who sold out the entire world multiple times in his lust for power? Talk about favoritism.
    Sure, it could have just been bad writing, but that doesn't change the fact that this is Malfurion's character now. We don't know for sure if it was simply bad writing or if he was intended to really be that much of a bastard to overlook Tyrande's deeds but not his own brother's. Illidan was no saint, though many things he did were a type of "the end justifies the means". He definitely deserved punishments for the stunts he pulled. It's that I cannot overlook how Malfurion showed nothing but contempt towards his brother, even after 10,000 years, while sweeping Tyrande's sins under the rug. Sins that, mind you, should have carried quite a stiff penalty. It digs at me even more that Malfurion knew damn well how instrumental Illidan was in defeating the Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    This is still a gaping hole in the entire Malf/Illidan/Tyrande/Maive story, IMO. I hold Tyrande more accountable for it because it's not even clear to me at which point Mal even knew exactly how far Tyrande went in there since he didn't witness it personally. And Tyrande has never had the slightest bit of remorse -- in fact she only ever got bitchy when questioned about it. God, no wonder Maiev left her for dead. . I mean, that wasn't the right thing to do and i'm not saying it was, but putting myself in the shoes of the Maiev character, I can only imagine the frustration at that point.
    I can't stand her, either. It's pretty sad when someone as old as she is, with as much experience as she has, still acts like a brash 20 year old in very sensitive and dangerous situations. Pretty bad when Varian of all people had to show Tyrande the value of patience.

Sure, it could have just been bad writing, but that doesn't change the fact that this is Malfurion's character now. We don't know for sure if it was simply bad writing or if he was intended to really be that much of a bastard to overlook Tyrande's deeds but not his own brother's. Illidan was no saint, though many things he did were a type of "the end justifies the means". He definitely deserved punishments for the stunts he pulled. It's that I cannot overlook how Malfurion showed nothing but contempt towards his brother, even after 10,000 years, while sweeping Tyrande's sins under the rug. Sins that, mind you, should have carried quite a stiff penalty. It digs at me even more that Malfurion knew damn well how instrumental Illidan was in defeating the Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't stand her, either. It's pretty sad when someone as old as she is, with as much experience as she has, still acts like a brash 20 year old in very sensitive and dangerous situations. Pretty bad when Varian of all people had to show Tyrande the value of patience.
    well...maybe because they are immortal...their hormone balances never change, so they don't really mature that much :P