Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    And completely divide their leadership during a demon invasion? Does that really seem reasonable to you?
    Because he couldn't bring it up later? He never, at any time, attempted to have her held responsible. He put his brother away for eternity, or at least tried, and had no real qualms doing it. Again, his woman gets a pass. His brother gets buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Varteras View Post
    Because he couldn't bring it up later? He never, at any time, attempted to have her held responsible. He put his brother away for eternity, or at least tried, and had no real qualms doing it. Again, his woman gets a pass. His brother gets buried.
    His brother deserved to get buried. You're singling out Malfurion for something that is a problem with the entire Night Elf story, not just him, in that nobody but Maiev cares about Tyrande's actions.

This is just Illidan fanboys whining about Malfurion being mean to his brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illidan betrayed everyone and only sought personal power.He deserved everything he ever got.Malfurion while not a perfect guy (Mary Sue) atleast did whatever he did to help others and protect Azeroth.Sure hes sometimes overpowered but atleast hes not some emo hypocrite like Illidan.

Illidan fanboys are getting almost as bad as Azshara fanboys.Trust me, you guys baselessly justifying all his actions is not making anyone like Illidan,but rather hate the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    His brother deserved to get buried. You're singling out Malfurion for something that is a problem with the entire Night Elf story, not just him, in that nobody but Maiev cares about Tyrande's actions.

This is just Illidan fanboys whining about Malfurion being mean to his brother.
    I'm an Illidan fanboy? I even said he deserved to be punished. Not that I necessarily agree with the length of the sentence. I think at that point you should have just killed him. Eternity in a small cell is torturous. What I'm saying is that he buried his brother over some shit but didn't even attempt to have Tyrande answer for her actions. Malfurion deserves to be singled out for having double standards in his sense of justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he did, it would have happened between TFT and WoW because they wouldn't just make up a scene in WC3 of him yelling at her. Easier to just assume they discussed it. It also wasn't just Malfurion, only Maeiv really cared.

If he did, it would have happened between TFT and WoW because they wouldn't just make up a scene in WC3 of him yelling at her. Easier to just assume they discussed it. It also wasn't just Malfurion, only Maeiv really cared.
    Tyrande was never made to pay for what she did nor was there ever any literature telling us if anything ever came of it. They didn't have to bring it up exactly at that point but it would and should have been something a lot more involving than Malfurion yelling at her. She released a heinous criminal, who is now free (until he died), and she killed people to do it because they refused her insane, so they thought, orders. Yet there she is. Leading the Night Elven people and no one giving a shit that we had to go to Outland to deal with Illidan and watch a bunch of people die for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tyrande was never made to pay for what she did nor was there ever any literature telling us if anything ever came of it. They didn't have to bring it up exactly at that point but it would and should have been something a lot more involving than Malfurion yelling at her. She released a heinous criminal, who is now free (until he died), and she killed people to do it because they refused her insane, so they thought, orders. Yet there she is. Leading the Night Elven people and no one giving a shit that we had to go to Outland to deal with Illidan and watch a bunch of people die for it.
    Seems to me more like a problem with how Blizzard told that story than with Malfurion specifically.

Seems to me more like a problem with how Blizzard told that story than with Malfurion specifically.
    See, the problem with that is unless Blizzard comes out and says there was more to it than that or they give us some story later about how it all went down, with Malfurion doing what was right, then this is the Malfurion and Tyrande we're given. Until then, it is indeed a problem with Malfurion and Tyrande. As far as we need to be concerned, Malfurion kept his mouth shut and Tyrande never took responsibility. Even after it seemed like releasing him was perhaps a bad idea after all when he tried to blow up Northrend and then a bunch of people died to topple him in Outland.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alectis View Post
    Tyrande was still the leader (and the high priestess) of the Night Elves and the Wardens not only disobeyed her, but outright attacked her as well.
    1. I don't think it works that way, and
    2. You obviously haven't played that mission in the campaign because in lore she runs rampant through there killing all the Watchers, even ones who were asleep

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Malfurion wasn't bad in WC3 and isn't anything bad in WoW either, but Knaak's novels turned him into a freaking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Thrall and Me'dan
    That disgusting feeling when I see someone seriously putting Thrall on the same level of Med'an.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    Personally, i have no problem with the imprisonment, just the extreme length, which IMO goes well past the cruelty limit no matter how bad his behavior was in whichever version of events. If he was really that fucking evil, they should have executed him and been done with it.
    Yeah, that 10.000 years of imprisonment was retarded. A wonder Illidan didn't kill himself before, even 2 months of complete and utter isolation would be enough to drive anyone nuts in real life. But hey, fantasy and plot-nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alectis View Post
    I doubt Malfurion would've punished his own wive (at least outside of the bedroom).
    That doesn't sound professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    If the Wardens answered to anybody, it was to Elune herself
    Wardens are no priestesses. "Mundane" Night Elves may revere Elune but don't commune with her. In fact, all they did was reaffirm that Elune herself once condemned Illidan, which can be or not be important to the High Priestess herself, the one who should know more than anyone else the will of the goddess.

even ones who were asleep
    Da fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Illidan couldn't kill himself.
    Stupid magic cage kept him alive
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    Illidan couldn't kill himself.
    Stupid magic cage kept him alive
    Makes sense, I guess. But then he should have been utterly insane, which exposes the irony: Illidan dying as nothing but a madman in TBC was the actual realistic story, even though it sucked balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

See, the problem with that is unless Blizzard comes out and says there was more to it than that or they give us some story later about how it all went down, with Malfurion doing what was right, then this is the Malfurion and Tyrande we're given. Until then, it is indeed a problem with Malfurion and Tyrande. As far as we need to be concerned, Malfurion kept his mouth shut and Tyrande never took responsibility. Even after it seemed like releasing him was perhaps a bad idea after all when he tried to blow up Northrend and then a bunch of people died to topple him in Outland.
    You are wrong on the fact that Malfurion hates his brother. He actually went to visit Illidan in that prison according to Stormrage. It was him that let Illidan go in WC3 which was actually a dick move toward Maiev.

It's the other way around actually. It was Illidan who hated his brother. He was willing to tell Azshara of his brother's plan to infiltrate the palace knowing that it may have led to his brother and Tyrande's deaths.

Malfurion can be bias toward his loved ones. That's his flaw and he was called out for it by Maiev. However, it was never hatred that he held toward Illidan. It was anger and regret.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-08-01 at 07:12 AM.

I never played WC3 but I actually like Malfurion in the books more than in-game. Not sure which books I read, but I know I read some with him in them - maybe War of the Ancients?

My main issue with him in game is the weird way they have him move. I know he has bird feet (or that's how it looks), but not all birds waddle like ducks. Some hop, some even run very well. Malfurion waddles.

I'm a treehugger in RL and my first toons were Night Elves, so I'm certainly pre-disposed to like him. I think Blizz could do a better job with him.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Personally, i have no problem with the imprisonment, just the extreme length, which IMO goes well past the cruelty limit no matter how bad his behavior was in whichever version of events. If he was really that fucking evil, they should have executed him and been done with it.
    It is about how you percieve cruelty. To Malfurion it was about how would he save his borther's life but still seemed unbias. Illidan's crimes were unforgivable no matter how you look at it. It was the most he could do to imprison him. There were people who were killed and heavily injured by Illidan there. Illidan may not like the decision but the intention was not to torment Illidan. It was to save his life.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    This thread is really funny to read.

It basicly shows just why wow fans should never even try to judge lore.

Basicly people in this thread think Malfurion is badly written. Why?..........

They.... dont... like him....

so like.... what?

Because you dont like certain traits that person is now badly written?

Come the fuck on people
    That's basically how 90% of the lore-posts on this forum works. "I don't like this part of the lore, so the lore sucks and Blizzard are terrible".

I think it's just that he's been really boring in WoW, not that he's a boring character.

I also kinda give him a bit more of a pass than pointlessly awesome characters because he's meant to be a parallel to Illidan. I always saw Illidan as the more interesting one and Malfurion the more conventional one. Malfurion studied hard, always did good, always tried to understand others and had a strict moral code that he follows. Contrast this to Illidan, who while he is also a good person, has no moral boundaries, doesn't care who he has to fuck over and is perfectly willing to be the "bad guy" if it means that his people are saved.

I do think there needs to be more of a focus on Malfurion's mistakes - Firelands patch did an amazing job of this by creating Leyara, who was willing and able to call Malfurion out on his softness and unwillingness to actually defend his people in favor of "getting along" and the "greater good", but overall I think more steps need to taken in this direction and with Illidan's return I absolutely see it happening. I don't see their reunion ever being roses and sunshine.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    You are wrong on the fact that Malfurion hates his brother. He actually went to visit Illidan in that prison according to Stormrage. It was him that let Illidan go in WC3 which was actually a dick move toward Maiev.

It's the other way around actually. It was Illidan who hated his brother. He was willing to tell Azshara of his brother's plan to infiltrate the palace knowing that it may have led to his brother and Tyrande's deaths.
    But no matter what happened in the far or recent past, when we left off with them -- the last we left off, I mean, the last time we saw them together -- everything was water under the bridge with them. Malfurion and Illidan made amends with each other. That is the last thing that happened between the two before Illidan went through that portal to Outland.
    People keep arguing as is if that didn't happen, but it did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    I never played WC3 but I actually like Malfurion in the books more than in-game. Not sure which books I read, but I know I read some with him in them - maybe War of the Ancients?

My main issue with him in game is the weird way they have him move. I know he has bird feet (or that's how it looks), but not all birds waddle like ducks. Some hop, some even run very well. Malfurion waddles.
    He's really a badass in W3 and I don't want my posts to come off as if I don't like him (and I really don't dislike Tyrande, either). I'm just criticising how this one, very important plot line has never satisfactorily been resolved IMO.

As for his model, he's got a brand new one with this patch that looks really good, you should check it out.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    TBH, I think Malfurions actions concerning Illidans imprisonment should be considering torture, not mercy. He was left in solitary in an environment, where he was unable to harm himself or end his own torment. Execution or banishment would have been less cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    It is about how you percieve cruelty. To Malfurion it was about how would he save his borther's life but still seemed unbias. Illidan's crimes were unforgivable no matter how you look at it. It was the most he could do to imprison him. There were people who were killed and heavily injured by Illidan there. Illidan may not like the decision but the intention was not to torment Illidan. It was to save his life.
    Illidan didn't kill anyone in WC3 version of WotA. he just betrayed them to Azshara and she was prepared. Tyrande was injured and Malfurion's followers were killed in the process.