Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Where does one go to find this Asian themed media you speak of? If you're talking about foreign films and TV shows, that tends to be of little interest to Asian-Americans since most of us can't understand what the hell they're saying, and the bulk of it tends to be overwrought, melodramatic pablum at any rate.
    On TV. On Youtube (Jpop/Kpop is massively popular in white nerd culture, which tends to be middle class). If I spit out a few examples I'm sure you'll laugh and say "hah, that's so white-washed!" well so what? (also, which European culture isn't "white-washed" and properly represented by americans?) Jackie-Chan adventures was Asian-themed. People loved it. White people loved it. I don't watch it but doesn't Hawaii Five O (or something to that effect) have a handsome masculine Asian male lead? (Daniel Dae Kim). Just a couple examples.

I think it would be easier just to establish what you really want. More Asian culture in America, or more Asian-American culture in America. And how much? Should American culture be dominated by Asian culture? Just don't answer "I want more Asians!"

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    On TV. On Youtube (Jpop/Kpop is massively popular in white nerd culture, which tends to be middle class). If I spit out a few examples I'm sure you'll laugh and say "hah, that's so white-washed!" well so what? (also, which European culture isn't "white-washed" and properly represented by americans?) Jackie-Chan adventures was Asian-themed. People loved it. White people loved it. I don't watch it but doesn't Hawaii Five O (or something to that effect) have a handsome masculine Asian male lead? (Daniel Dae Kim). Just a couple examples.

I think it would be easier just to establish what you really want. More Asian culture in America, or more Asian-American culture in America. And how much? Should American culture be dominated by Asian culture? Just don't answer "I want more Asians!"
    you just described the exception rather than the rule. Do you know that Fresh Off the Boat was the first Asian-American themed sitcom in TWENTY years (after All-American Girl), among hundreds of shows that were greenlit and even more that were pitched? Hardly 5%. Also, even if you consider Youtube streaming to be mainstream culture, you will find hardly any Asian top Youtubers. In cinema, the most positive Asian character (in terms of not being a walking stereotype) has been Han from the Fast and Furious series, and that's it. Black people caused a stir during the Oscars this year by complaining about the lack of black representation in movies, but their representation is actually a LOT higher relative to their population compared to Asian-Americans.

Let me ask you...how many years will it be before we see a sitcom or drama on network TV featuring an Asian-American character in the lead role, not as a sidekick or a stereotype? What I mean is, a show like Castle but where the main character is just a regular Asian-American dude living his life? Do you think there would be 1 out of 20 shows that would fit this description, commensurate with the 5% Asian population in the US? From where I am standing, I'm thinking it's never gonna happen.
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2016-08-01 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    you just described the exception rather than the rule. Do you know that Fresh Off the Boat was the first Asian-American themed sitcom in TWENTY years (after All-American Girl), among hundreds of shows that were greenlit and even more that were pitched? Hardly 5%. Also, even if you consider Youtube streaming to be mainstream culture, you will find hardly any Asian top Youtubers. In cinema, the most positive Asian character (in terms of not being a walking stereotype) has been Han from the Fast and Furious series, and that's it. Let me ask you...how many years will it be before we see a sitcom or drama on network TV featuring an Asian-American character in the lead role, not as a sidekick or a stereotype? What I mean is, a show like Castle but where the main character is just a regular Asian-American dude living his life? Do you think there would be 1 out of 20 shows that would fit this description, commensurate with the 5% Asian population in the US? From where I am standing, I'm thinking it's never gonna happen.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ..._an_Asian_Lead

Plenty of non-stereotypical asian leads.

Pretty sure Bruce Lee is the most positive and inspiriational Asian character/actor. Who cares if he adheres to the stereotype of "kung fu masta"? Didn't Psy hit the youtube record at some point?

I just want to get to the point, what do you want that we don't already have?

Hollywood casts blacks in settings they have never existed in history, but suddenly a white guy in China is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Tbh, I do think he looks really out of place in it.
    Just like Idris Elba looked in a fucking Norse mythology movie, but at least in Matt Damons case they can say he was a hired mercenary from Europe, but for Idris Elba playing Heimdall there is no excuse, sorry SJWs

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ..._an_Asian_Lead

Plenty of non-stereotypical asian leads.

Pretty sure Bruce Lee is the most positive and inspiriational Asian character/actor. Who cares if he adheres to the stereotype of "kung fu masta"? Didn't Psy hit the youtube record at some point?

I just want to get to the point, what do you want that we don't already have?
    I just described exactly what I wanted, but let me be more specific. I want a strong male lead in a non-action oriented show, where him being Asian is not an inherent "gimmick" or central part of the plot, in a way that most shows starring white dudes don't focus on them being white as a central plot point. Sullivan and Son was close to fitting these criteria, but unfortunately that show got canceled, didn't it? I have hopes that the same won't happen to Master of None.

Regarding the list of shows you linked from wikipedia, they mostly feature Asian WOMEN in lead roles, and it's actually interesting that the media treatment Asian-American women are getting nowadays is exactly what I want for Asian-American male characters. We can argue about the source of this disparity, but it definitly exists.

I didn't count Bruce Lee because he wasn't a recent example, and he was very much an anomaly at the time when it comes to portrayal of Asian males in American media. But ultimately even he was met with racism, being rejected for the lead role of Kung Fu in favor of David Carradine (in another example of whitewashing!).
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2016-08-01 at 07:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So it's pretty clear that this isn't meant to be a history film, just some kind of sci-fi fantasy stuff about the great wall, so in such a case I don't really care about the casting decision.

But to make another point, it seems that both sides of this are pretty hypocritical. On one side people will flip their shit if a role normally played by a white male, or a white person, or a male, is cast as some minority, a gay person, or a woman, but will sit there and defend all day when a white man is cast in the position of a minority, a woman or otherwise. Meanwhile the other side will defend a minority/woman/gay person being cast as a role typically done by straight/white/male, but will flip their shit if a white guy is cast in the role of a minority/woman/otherwise.

Both sides do it and defend their own versions of bullshittery.

My only preference is that if you're going to be a serious historical film, you cast appropriately. Otherwise I don't give a fuck.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    But this. This looks like it's trying to take itself seriously and it just... isn't. Why the fuck are mongolians dragon-like monsters? Or at least have dragon like monsters at their disposal. This looks like it's stylistically trying to be 300 and is just going to fail in every other way.
    This is a good reason.

I'm split about it at one hand it seems that the majority are asians so it's a bit odd, but having just being the great wall and chine architecture but the rest not does create room for it not to matter. Skin colour seems close enough and they made him blend in.

Although i do find history accurate complaint as well as the counter valid in the end it's also a movie made by western industry so it's not a problem either. I don't mind if this happens with asian movie industry either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    I just described exactly what I wanted, but let me be more specific. I want a strong male lead in a non-action oriented show, where him being Asian is not an inherent "gimmick" or central part of the plot, in a way that most shows starring white dudes don't focus on them being white as a central plot point. Sullivan and Son was close to fitting these criteria, but unfortunately that show got canceled, didn't it? I have hopes that the same won't happen to Master of None.

Regarding the list of shows you linked from wikipedia, they mostly feature Asian WOMEN in lead roles, and it's actually interesting that the media treatment Asian-American women are getting nowadays is exactly what I want for Asian-American male characters. We can argue about the source of this disparity, but it definitly exists.

I didn't count Bruce Lee because he wasn't a recent example, and he was very much an anomaly at the time when it comes to portrayal of Asian males in American media. But ultimately even he was met with racism, being rejected for the lead role of Kung Fu in favor of David Carradine (in another example of whitewashing!).
    I think this is just playing to hard with adding more criteria for 5% population.
    I find it good that that other etnicicities are present on tv but also find it good that white are more represented even if above demographic etnicity in western world.

I'd probably feel different if non-western world had similiar diversity with the represenation of asians and whites swapped for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    People aren't mad about historical accuracy you ignorant tools. Asian Americans are tired of seeing white leads saving the world in Asian settings.

"But the movie is made by Chinese!!!" Asian Americans aren't happy, can't say the same about Asians.
    So ur saying mainland Chinese should put mostly Americanized "Chinese" diaspora FIRST cuz they only pretend to be Chinese when they act like whiny SJW Americans...
    Those pseudo-Chinese feels before profit?

Roflcopter!

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    People are unbelievable. What started as a film intriguing me because of its concept turned into me being mystified by this Great Wall of Stupidity.
    Check the new King Arthur trailer:

Another historical movie. I don't know what the fuck were they thinking...
    Last edited by Eazy; 2016-08-01 at 09:59 AM.

He looks out of place, but considering the movie's content I really don't think this is something to be concerned over. Generation offended strike again.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

don't think they can have it both ways. if they're american then that's disqualifying by their own logic regardless of ancestry. same goes for everyone involved.

The only thing I'd even heard about this, was one article click bait that included some really hot looking chick complaining. I wanted to impregnate her and rub her probably tiny, cute feet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    So ur saying mainland Chinese should put mostly Americanized "Chinese" diaspora FIRST cuz they only pretend to be Chinese when they act like whiny SJW Americans...
    Those pseudo-Chinese feels before profit?

Roflcopter!
    Well, they's afraid of ghosts, but not afraid of Transformers? Is it cuz the aliens are far superior to americans and specialize in destroying american cities?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Meh, thought this was gonna be a Donald Trump thing. Disappointment level 2918.

10+ Year Old Account
    considering the movie was made by a chinses studio, with a chinese director, filmed entirely in china AND comes out like 2 months before the west in china, i would say the "whitewashing" thing is bs. this is a chinese studio trying to prove they can make a big hollywood blockbusters, so naturally they need a big hollywood star.
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

This looks like it's going to be a terrible movie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    So it's pretty clear that this isn't meant to be a history film, just some kind of sci-fi fantasy stuff about the great wall, so in such a case I don't really care about the casting decision.

But to make another point, it seems that both sides of this are pretty hypocritical. On one side people will flip their shit if a role normally played by a white male, or a white person, or a male, is cast as some minority, a gay person, or a woman, but will sit there and defend all day when a white man is cast in the position of a minority, a woman or otherwise. Meanwhile the other side will defend a minority/woman/gay person being cast as a role typically done by straight/white/male, but will flip their shit if a white guy is cast in the role of a minority/woman/otherwise.

Both sides do it and defend their own versions of bullshittery.

My only preference is that if you're going to be a serious historical film, you cast appropriately. Otherwise I don't give a fuck.
    Its funny people reacting to having a white guy and not mongolians as alien dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Its funny people reacting to having a white guy and not mongolians as alien dragons.
    Pretty sure they were alien dragons, though.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    I was 100% certain, upon walking into this thread, that you were gonna talk about Trumps wall.

So, my question is, why make a movie about the wall of China, you already got one upcoming yourselves.

With a relatable, "real" (well, in the movie sense real) threat - The Illegal Mexican.

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    considering the movie was made by a chinses studio, with a chinese director, filmed entirely in china AND comes out like 2 months before the west in china, i would say the "whitewashing" thing is bs. this is a chinese studio trying to prove they can make a big hollywood blockbusters, so naturally they need a big hollywood star.
    That's logic though on MMO-champ. How dare you
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"