Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Being an adult sucks sometimes, having to get a job can be one of those times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    They're called consequences. Starvation really sucks I'm told. Snark aside, Even if you live in a place that will give you enough welfare to live in a drug addled lethargy for the rest of your life, why would you want that?

Life is about overcoming struggle not avoiding it. You need to overcome whatever fear or apathy that is making you want to postpone adulthood indefinitely. There are few things more satisfying than enjoying the fruits from the work of your own hands. Go make your way in the world and enjoy feeling like an actual adult. It's far more fulfilling than a life of comfortable sloth.
    Not all people like that. I've had a full time job before, made decent money, and hated every second of it. Working 40+ hours every week doing the same damned thing building the same damned parts...I've never been more depressed in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAmIhere View Post
    Seems strange that everyone just accepts it despite not wanting to do it. This reminds me of Fight Club.
    If nobody worked we'd all be living in mud huts flinging shit at each other. The reason we can have such an advanced and awesome society is because people do their part for the betterment of the society. Imagine if all the people that ran the internet decided they didn't want to go to work anymore, or the people that work at power plants to provide energy for people so people can sit in front of their computers complaining that they don't want to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alectis View Post
    You gotta be kidding me. Are you seriously saying that people are paying for your fake illness?
    Gotta read further on... Seiko admitted to making that up. In reality its very hard to get disability even if you are legitimately disabled. And if you do manage to get approved you'll get barely enough to survive. I personally know someone on disability and he gets about 1000 a month to live on (in Nj which isnt a cheap place to live) and he still needs family to help him out if any unexpected expenses beyond rent/food/utilities come up like getting tooth pulled or anything like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you're a woman you could try marrying a finanically well-off man.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    If you're a woman you could try marrying a finanically well-off man.
    Hey this is 2016 in the United States... even if you're a man you can try marrying a financially well-off man! ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta agree. Getting a sugar daddy or just getting pregnant and be a stay at home mom. Once the kids are a bit older you'll have more time to work on indie stuff or whatever your heart desires.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Working 7am to 9pm tomorrow. It sucks and I don't want to, but I have to if I want a roof over my head, food and internet/entertainment.

It's standing on my feet, all day, with one 30 minute break (not much time for anything more, if I even get that). I will likely develop problems because of this, if it continues for an extended period of time longer. That's life. :\
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems strange that everyone just accepts it despite not wanting to do it. This reminds me of Fight Club.
    Hmm?

Get your ass up in work. I didn't want to scrub dishes during college, but I did.

You're not going to be a game designer overnight. You need income to supplement the pursuit of your dreams, and to not be a total parasite to your parents.

God damn white privilege.

The thing to keep in mind is it all stems back to primitive times. Before we evolved and advanced technologically, we survived nomadic lifestyles by hunting & gathering. Later we developed farming and built permanent structures to live in. You weren't "working a 9 to 5 job" you were doing what you needed to survive. If you were going to live you had to get food and shelter and to do that you had to do hard labor for many hours.

Today things are more advanced but the same principle holds. You aren't "working a 9 to 5 job you hate", you're doing what you need to do to make sure you have food in your stomach and a roof over your head. If you can manage to meet those needs on something other than a standard 9 to 5 job and that isn't a crime, then more power to you, go for it. I do feel for people who feel trapped in the time/society they live in though. It can be a hard life when the things you want to do/are good at aren't valued enough by society to support your living expenses. You can feel trapped by the routine of a job you hate with no way out in sight.

Unfortunately our free will can only take us so far. Eventually most of us have to make compromises to ensure our survival.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2016-08-01 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Hmm?

Get your ass up in work. I didn't want to scrub dishes during college, but I did.

You're not going to be a game designer overnight. You need income to supplement the pursuit of your dreams, and to not be a total parasite to your parents.

God damn white privilege.
    I agree with my boi Bigzo over here. Seriously just get a job, save up money and work towards your goals. Nothing worth having in life comes easy, you'll have to work and pursue what you want. I've never understood people who can't fathom working, it's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. I'm in a position where I have a nice boss and I go to work, do repairs or on site support for networks/servers and while doing all that if I can sit there playing on my 3DS my boss doesn't care as long as the work is done.

The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I need some advice on this. I don't want a job. I don't want to work 5 days or more a week from 9am-5pm slaving away. I've got some plans for the future about landing an apprenticeship or teaching myself and becoming an indie game developer but the one thing that seems to bother me is using up a lot time in my daily life devoted to working. I'm 19 years old and in Education but before these two years are up I need to seriously start making choices about how I'm going to solve this dilemma. I've never been obsessed with money and need help.

How do I get a job that requires barely any time or effort yet gets me the necessities in life? I don't want to feel like I'm wasting time. Anybody got some advice?
    Yes, get a degree wintin a field that you enjoy a lot so it doesn't feel like slavery. It's easy to get a job that you dislike, it really is. The hard part about getting jobs is getting something you really love and really look forward doing in the morning, and doesn't make you cringe your toes by thinking of it.
    There's a lot of hard work involved in this and you really need to give 110% in order to do so. Find that awesome thing you like doing, pursue it with passion and you'll be happy.
    Good advice is, to not mix your favorite HOBBY with it (i.e computers or something, you'll get tired of your hobby then). Find the balance and get it

Edit; The base of my advice is actually from a personal experience. I've always loved to cook and discover new things to add to food to make it more interesting. I became a chef. After a while I had to stop, because my career choice actually killed my passion for cooking, so I had to stop.
    I've been unemployed for around 2 years now, working on different projects, and now I again found something I want to do - that has very little to do with my actual hobby; I decided to become a forestry technician. I've always loved forests, and I have "green thumbs" sp trees and plants are just a part of me. I don't see it as a hobby, but rather something I want to help improve (Foretry technicians plant and cut down trees and maintain a healthy life in forests).

So sit down, write things down that interest you, go and see what your options are, and go for it.
    Last edited by Neliah; 2016-08-01 at 05:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Ask adamshadow how to get on benefits.
    Step 1: get AIDS?
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

No. What I value is time. I find it amusing how you think wanting just enough money to live on and have a lot of free time somehow makes me entitled. But then again, you aren't very good at reading comprehension, are you?
    So exactly what I said? You want money for little to no effort. That money must come from somewhere. Which means if you're putting in next to nothing for effort and expecting the equivalent of lots of effort in pay, you're just taking advantage of everyone else, hence the entitled part. Please note that I simply said it makes you sound that way, not that you are. I'm sure you aren't a bad person, you're just young and new to the whole working world, everyone is at one point.
    Last edited by TheLimonTree; 2016-08-01 at 08:14 AM.

I love theese "want what others have but not work for it" types, either prepare for a life in poverty without having to work, get on the train 8 hours a day or resort to options like getting a sugardaddy, crime or hoping for the lottery.

Trust me, if we had some hidden trick on how to not work and not be poor, we wouldnt be working.

The sweet release of death will save you from work, and the world will have 1 less weeb in it

Everyone wins

Deleted
    I need some advice on this. I don't want a job. I don't want to work 5 days or more a week from 9am-5pm slaving away. I've got some plans for the future about landing an apprenticeship or teaching myself and becoming an indie game developer but the one thing that seems to bother me is using up a lot time in my daily life devoted to working. I'm 19 years old and in Education but before these two years are up I need to seriously start making choices about how I'm going to solve this dilemma. I've never been obsessed with money and need help.

How do I get a job that requires barely any time or effort yet gets me the necessities in life? I don't want to feel like I'm wasting time. Anybody got some advice?
    Indie developer is saturated market, and going at it alone or 2man thing you have to know if your an entrepeneur and able to self motivate, it's much easier to work for others.

If you want to not work much but still want a decent income, i don't know how it is in your country but in ours i'd say nursing is probably a good job. It's a 16-28 hours a week and it has the traditional union deals where you get automatic pay increase for each yearin the field which accumaltes a lot where it results in having a higher hourly wages than higher educated work of small bussinesses.

Only negative is you can have annoying workshifts and you have to listen to people talking about drama series :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neliah View Post
    Edit; The base of my advice is actually from a personal experience. I've always loved to cook and discover new things to add to food to make it more interesting. I became a chef. After a while I had to stop, because my career choice actually killed my passion for cooking, so I had to stop.
    I've been unemployed for around 2 years now, working on different projects, and now I again found something I want to do - that has very little to do with my actual hobby; I decided to become a forestry technician. I've always loved forests, and I have "green thumbs" sp trees and plants are just a part of me. I don't see it as a hobby, but rather something I want to help improve (Foretry technicians plant and cut down trees and maintain a healthy life in forests).

So sit down, write things down that interest you, go and see what your options are, and go for it.
    How were you able to make that switch? In our country it feels you need to get a specific education for everything

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    I don't know how I'd live with a boring job. I only have one life, why would I spend roughly a third of it doing mindless/boring stuff?

I never understood that. People have jobs, they work hard all their life and if they're lucky, they get to enjoy maybe ten, twenty years of freedom. I mean, that's horrible.

Surely there has to be a better alternative that does neither involve living on the back of others or wasting your life at a soul-crushing job.
    I quit my "soul-crushing" job, it was a solution.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I make $40,000 from welfare. Just fake a mental illness
    I have a real mental illness and get nothing from welfare
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED