Thread: Ranked leavers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakainen View Post
    Thankfully they seem to have finally fixed this and winning team isn't screwed anymore.
    I was foolish enough to play my 10 first games when this was an issue and KoH maps gave almost nothing for winning. It was 4 KoH matches, we won all of them. Then there was 2 lost matches on non-KoH maps, 2 wins against leavers and 2 regular wins. Got placed at 50 for that. Not like i'm complaining or something, but it was really weird placement for winning 8 out of 10 placement games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You probably should look for a solution before playing. It's not an excuse. If you know that you get blackouts that often you shouldn't play competitive, it's like someone from Australia playing on EU servers with 300 ping and blame ping for their loss.
    They usually don't last long, and since I've USP I can usually go through the match before my PC shutdowns. Think I've been booted from two Quick Play matches due to random disconnect, and managed to connect back to one of them.

It's just that I'm living in countryside, very old village with bad connections and wiring. So, only solution would be to move to better location, which isn't really feasible since I don't have job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightflare View Post
    lol. you think that's bad? they already made it more forgiving.
    I played ranked the first week.
    after the 10 "starting" games, I got ranked 50.
    after that I lost 5!!! games in a row due to teammates leaving the first minute and 2 more games just because my team sucked.
    and the first few weeks you lost a hole fking lvl If you lost.
    that meant I was now ranked at 43. that's the pit where the other players just play what they want and don't care what your team needs.
    They haven't change the metric that determines how much you win/lose, other than the bug on certain map types (that affected both wins and losses equally, so it was a zero-sum bug). You lose more if you're performing more poorly than expected for your rank. If you were losing that much continuously, it likely means you were ranked too highly, to begin with. Now you're ranked more appropriately, which is why you're seeing less loss of rank for a loss.

I'll just reiterate a simple point, and it has literally zero relation with personal skill or composition or the ability to choose the right hero at the right time:

i shouldn't be punished for player leaving the enemy team. Especially when it happens near the end of the game.

Winning when someone on the opposing side leaves at the end in a fit of rage nets you only a fraction of rank, and staying in game when someone on your team leaves gives you the whole penalty. Leaving the game at the warning instead gives you an automatic loss but no rank loss, which to me sounds really counterintuitive.

This leads to an utopic scenario where a perfect 50% WLR can result in multiple rank losses.

I currently sit at a -4 ranks. It's not about getting better, it's just trying eveything and getting slapped in the face by people who obviously have a different view of the game.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I'll just reiterate a simple point, and it has literally zero relation with personal skill or composition or the ability to choose the right hero at the right time:

i shouldn't be punished for player leaving the enemy team. Especially when it happens near the end of the game.

Winning when someone on the opposing side leaves at the end in a fit of rage nets you only a fraction of rank, and staying in game when someone on your team leaves gives you the whole penalty. Leaving the game at the warning instead gives you an automatic loss but no rank loss, which to me sounds really counterintuitive.
    Y'know that's fixed since 1987 ? That no longer works as an excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Y'know that's fixed since 1987 ? That no longer works as an excuse
    Well, it's been quite a while i'm not playing OW. If you can tell me a reliable date i can tell you when happened. It may easily be i stopped before the fix.

And i'm not talking about the KotH bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's been quite a while i'm not playing OW. If you can tell me a reliable date i can tell you when happened. It may easily be i stopped before the fix.

And i'm not talking about the KotH bug.
    You're right, the winners would gain a lot less by virtue of the recalculation working out that you should win very comfortably, and conversely the losing team would lose less thanks to not standing a chance. This was fixed I think 3 weeks ago. It was announced fixed a couple of weeks before that but was buggy and didn't always work. Now it uses the stats calculated at the start.

Yea it sucks I don't play ranked any more because each game I had people left from either team, it's just not fun.

My mate has hit top 7 % in the world (just barley) and he's not playing any more for the same reasons

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    They usually don't last long, and since I've USP I can usually go through the match before my PC shutdowns. Think I've been booted from two Quick Play matches due to random disconnect, and managed to connect back to one of them.

It's just that I'm living in countryside, very old village with bad connections and wiring. So, only solution would be to move to better location, which isn't really feasible since I don't have job.

I'm in the UK up a mountain, but I have a lot worse stats than that, I don't even hit a full mbs download speed also we had engineers out in the local town, we don't just have old connections, their words were, "holy fuck, if you go to London history museum they've got these things on as a exhibit " on regards to the servers

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You're right, the winners would gain a lot less by virtue of the recalculation working out that you should win very comfortably, and conversely the losing team would lose less thanks to not standing a chance. This was fixed I think 3 weeks ago. It was announced fixed a couple of weeks before that but was buggy and didn't always work. Now it uses the stats calculated at the start.
    So basically if someone of the other team leaves i can comfy enjoy my win and get the rating i was supposed to have in first place? Then i need to get back into the game for the shizzle.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically if someone of the other team leaves i can comfy enjoy my win and get the rating i was supposed to have in first place? Then i need to get back into the game for the shizzle.
    That is how it works now, correct.

That is how it works now, correct.
    Yay! Time to dust off my grenade launcher (i just love junkrat) and try to get better pover time. I don't mind being 29 atm, as soon i find people actually willing to play and balanced opponents.

Only a few times (excluding the crapfest of placements) i found people who appeared clearly on another/higher level than me.

EDIT: just since we're on this, playing well should mitigate my rank loss in case of defeat, am i right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shéllshock View Post
    Lost at least two rank levels thanks to leavers... especially people who leave when we're winning I don't understand.
    To be fair, sometimes stuff is simply out of the control of the individual. I've had to restart in a hurry thanks to my computer flipping out because it doesn't know what the hell my mouse is (G400s, the cord is at the "shitting out on me" stage). Any number of other things can happen. Medical emergency, power cuts out, ISP decides they need to do maintenance at a random time, various hardware or software failure, etc...

The trouble is determining who left because they were being selfish and who left because circumstances demanded it, can't really punish the guilty without hitting the innocent as well.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2016-08-02 at 11:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: just since we're on this, playing well should mitigate my rank loss in case of defeat, am i right?
    It should, but sometimes if it's such a massive roll that you barely find yourself actually playing much but rather spending more time watching kill cams. That's less prevalent than it was at the initial launch of Comp now though I understand. I've not solo queued it for a while.

It should, but sometimes if it's such a massive roll that you barely find yourself actually playing much but rather spending more time watching kill cams. That's less prevalent than it was at the initial launch of Comp now though I understand. I've not solo queued it for a while.
    K, thanks. I solo queue mostly because we were a bunch before comp rolled out, then everyone simply avoided it like a plague with some people (even a couple of pretty skilled guys) playing a total of 5 games before leaving for good.

Hope situation is better now.

EDIT: i don't really knwo how to measure my skill in this game tbh, i look at my masteroverwatch profile and it seems i'm pretty decent at junkrat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just be aware that it's "playing well as compared to other players of this hero at this rank". If you're better than 70% of all Junkrats, but at a rank in the 80th percentile (top 20% of players), you'd lose a ton of rank for a loss.

My rank on one of my accounts is beyond salvation at this point since I'm always getting put in the bad groups (not on my other account though, everythings's dandy there) I decided to test out the leaving penalty. It's quite forgiving, I haven't been banned for the season yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just be aware that it's "playing well as compared to other players of this hero at this rank". If you're better than 70% of all Junkrats, but at a rank in the 80th percentile (top 20% of players), you'd lose a ton of rank for a loss.
    So basically it doesn't count much or anything at all Or am i reading gthis wrong?

I was just in a full payload game where someone just sat at the hero select screen never picking a hero and not getting auto kicked..what crap is that? Come on blizzard.. its already bad enough people dont play team oriented in competitive.. hopefully they get this shit figured out for S2.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically it doesn't count much or anything at all Or am i reading gthis wrong?
    No, I mean it's all relative to your current rank and your performance relative to other players.

So if you're currently ranked in the top 20% of players, better than 80% out there, but your performance in a match was only better than 70% of players, then even though you're well above average in performance, your performance relative to your rank was poor, so you'll tend to lose more rank on a loss, and gain less for a win.

The only way to rank up consistently is to perform better than you're ranked at. And you'll always hit a plateau point at which you can't rank up any further, because it's not a progression system, it's a rank; if you're ranked better than 80% of other players, unless YOU get better, your rank won't shift. And this also takes into account that the entire community is slowly improving over time; you need to be improving faster than that average for your rank.

How you perform is HUGE. I've lost or gained anywhere from 10% of a rank to a full rank, depending on how I played, in both directions, up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't think this is how it works. I've gone 5 gold with Roadhog and still lost rank. This is really my issue with the rank system. I lose rank, whether I'm the best on my team or not. The system is designed around MOBAs and it really doesn't apply to an FPS.