Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I doubt he paid that much for the pet, he likely wont even use the cd key. Most likely just got it for his collection. At that price point it's surely someone buying for collection and not the in-game pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Things like this are investments. I owned a gamestore for several years and sold a complete set of MtG cards (which at the time was Alpha thru Odyssey block) for $27,000. That same collection would be worth around $45,000 today.
    Thanks for the example!

On a very smaller scale, I purchase 2 copies of each WoW Collector's Editions now -one for myself, and one to remain sealed. The second copy may get sold one day or handed down. But since Mists of Pandaria (when I started purchasing CEs) I have only seen the price (and demand) for sealed CEs increase.

I'm too sentimental to do stuff like this for profit lol, but it's nice owning the CEs (I would love to have all on my bookshelf one day)!

On topic -who knows? Perhaps 6k USD is not a lot to some people -I am sure there are some very wealthy WoW players out there -and collectors alike who could still turn a profit from this investment. Six thousand dollars is a lot to me, but then value is entirely subjective! I say good show to whoever purchased, if you can afford to do so then more power to you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by risingforce View Post
    Thanks for the example!

On a very smaller scale, I purchase 2 copies of each WoW Collector's Editions now -one for myself, and one to remain sealed. The second copy may get sold one day or handed down. But since Mists of Pandaria (when I started purchasing CEs) I have only seen the price (and demand) for sealed CEs increase.

I'm too sentimental to do stuff like this for profit lol, but it's nice owning the CEs (I would love to have all on my bookshelf one day)!

On topic -who knows? Perhaps 6k USD is not a lot to some people -I am sure there are some very wealthy WoW players out there -and collectors alike who could still turn a profit from this investment. Six thousand dollars is a lot to me, but then value is entirely subjective! I say good show to whoever purchased, if you can afford to do so then more power to you!
    Well, considering there are people who play WoW and maintain 40 monthly accounts for the sole sake of trolling the opposite faction, I think 6,000 dollars is a drop in the bucket for some.

At any rate, as has been said, the person buying this most likely wont ever open it. They want it because it's rare.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2016-08-01 at 06:59 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would never buy it for so much, just out of fear of invalid/stolen codes.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I have two of these never opened, even have the little plastic wrap on them because of extras being bought as gifts.....def. gonna leave them there a bit longer and wait.

Damn. Kinda makes me wish I'd bought the collector's edition back in the day. Although...mine would've been used and not sealed like this one, so I'm sure that drops the value quite a bit.

I do still have Classic WoW with the original box and everything that came with it in really good condition, but it's opened/used and is not a collector's edition. I saw a couple of those (the non collector's edition, that is) on eBay with Buy It Now for 5 bucks.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-08-01 at 03:19 PM.

I passed up buying a used version with everything for $5 last year and those sell for around $400 on amazon.

Went back to the guy selling it and it was gone I still regret not getting it lol.

But ya fuck paying 5k for a new copy. I want to get each collector edition I can but for a realistic price. Won't spend more then maybe $150.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Damn. Kinda makes me wish I'd bought the collector's edition back in the day. Although...mine would've been used and not sealed like this one, so I'm sure that drops the value quite a bit.

I do still have Classic WoW with the original box and everything that came with it in really good condition, but it's opened/used and is not a collector's edition. :|
    Used go's for around $400.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a vanilla collectors edition as well but it is used so it won't fetch even anywhere near that price.

EDIT: just noticed Jtbrig7390 stating used ones go for $400, rather keep it - not worth selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I got a vanilla collectors edition as well but it is used so it won't fetch even anywhere near that price.

EDIT: just noticed Jtbrig7390 stating used ones go for $400, rather keep it - not worth selling.
    Yep....
    https://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraf...ectors+edition

I beat myself up for not buying the one I seen for $5 lol. Would have been cool to just have but I was highly short on funds at the time even for $5.

At some point I'm going to buy the cata CE since its just $100. I want a wrath one since that's my fav time in WoW but those go for around $300 new.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Dosen't digital items have an expire date on them? lol

If I payed nearly 6k for that I would kick my own ass. Although I have paid more for games before.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yep....
    https://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraf...ectors+edition

I beat myself up for not buying the one I seen for $5 lol. Would have been cool to just have but I was highly short on funds at the time even for $5.

At some point I'm going to buy the cata CE since its just $100. I want a wrath one since that's my fav time in WoW but those go for around $300 new.
    Wish I had bought TBC and WotLK as CE but back then I just went the cheap way. Blizzard CEs look great in the bookshelf. Love my white D3 CE as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Vanilla CE is well sought after, saw one on ebay for nearly £1,600, where as the MoP CE was around £40
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Can someone enlighten me as to what would cause a human being to do that? The only thing that differs from an ordinary account is the pets right?
    Investment OR ....they just want it more than ...whatever else they could spend the cash on.Collectors/Completionists etc
    I know when Wrath came out I looked at buying the Vanilla Col Ed as well, the 2k price was a bit more than I was willing to part with ...hindsight, would have been a good buy.
    I did this with LOTUS cards for MTG , had 12 at one point, sold them all for roughly $15k , paid for most of my first new car.

Or ....the final or....
    I think the "rich" call it "fuck you money"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LexiSwe View Post
    Dosen't digital items have an expire date on them? lol
    No they don't, so long as they aren't used you can use them 11 years later (such is the case for the Vanilla CE)
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

And this is why Blizz should just sell the digital bonuses at the shop for each game.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    I guess. I'd call it a fairly risky investment however. Especially for a game with a sub count that's been going downhill straight for a few years now.

Also yeah I did the same thing with magic, although in a much, much smaller scale. Bought some UG seas when I played, and when I sold all the worthwhile cards when I quit I got 10 times the money for them that I had spent. A lot of other cards had doubled in value or so too.

And people complain it's a costly game. ^^
    Yet WoW is still such a massive MMORPG and even though subs are down, doesn't mean people won't keep coming back to play!
    I actually thought a few times to buy the Blizzcon bear for 800 euros but in the end, i will stick to my beloven swift spectral tiger haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

If you have bought standard edition and then buy CE and add that code to your acc can you still get the mount and other stuff?

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    If you have bought standard edition and then buy CE and add that code to your acc can you still get the mount and other stuff?

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk
    Yes you can!

Sent from my Microsoft Windows 10 PC. With Extra Screens added to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I think I spent around 6-18 months on ebay looking for mine. I had bid about 35 times in bidding wars before just taking the dive and buying one outright in the VERY late 2008. I think I spent around 500-600$ for it.. and let me tell ya, spending that kind of money is pretty insane as is. Obviously I shouldn't of used the code, but I was in CA, was able to pick it up in person, was NIB - well worth it from a collectors stand point, but dumb to use back then in terms of how much it's worth today. Obviously selling it for 10X the cost I paid for it wouldn't exactly be easy today, I'm sure it's expensive, and risky.

The pet I got at Blitzcon back in Cali though I wish I would of kept was the 2005 Murky... I wish I would of paid people 200$ cash each back then.. those things are worth like 3-4k each now!.. I could of made a killing hahahah