Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of misinformation/outdated stuff here.

If you are to start today, I would recommend that you take a web app development or mobile development path.

JavaScript is going to be vital for web development, no matter what you do. CSS and HTML knowledge is a given, and back-end languages such as Python, Java, Go, or JavaScript (through Node.js) are a plus, and a necessity if looking at fullstack applications. Ruby and Ruby on Rails are also a good choice.

If you are looking at the mobile world, you can either go JavaScript with Ionic or React Native, or go full native and get into Objective-C/Swift and Java.

Whatever you do, JavaScript can get it done, as is the most used dev language at the moment. It's a quick start for a newbie and can get front, back-end and mobile environments, as well as desktop apps done. Once you get the basics mastered, you can start looking into frameworks such as AngularJS/Angular2/React.
    Last edited by Zoibert the Bear; 2016-08-01 at 06:50 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't listen to these dirty imperative programmers. Real men code in Haskell.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-08-01 at 07:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

=o]

C/C++ and alike (D, Java, C#) have same starting difficulty. C, especially C++ is way harder to master. I suggest Python/Javascript or a similar scripting language.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    A lot of misinformation/outdated stuff here.
    Highly ironic after
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    or go full native and get into Objective-C/Swift and Java.
    Do you know what is native?

Also, Javascript is not the most used development language. That title belongs to Java.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-08-01 at 07:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Python and/or Javascript

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    C/C++ and alike (D, Java, C#) have same starting difficulty. C, especially C++ is way harder to master. I suggest Python/Javascript or a similar scripting language.

- - - Updated - - -

Highly ironic after

Do you know what is native?

Also, Javascript is not the most used development language. That title belongs to Java.
    I know what native is. It seems that you do not know that native, in this context means. If you want to be a bitch about it and start arguing about assembly and binary, we may as well circlejerk about it until tomorrow.

You are right about Java though, I meant to say it's the most promising, mainly due to high demand that is increasing faster than any other at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

=o]
    1st one Because I don´t give a fuck if code will be longer. + it looks better while you are searching between functions
    Last edited by Draculla; 2016-08-01 at 07:41 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draculla View Post
    Because I don´t give a fuck if code will be longer.
    That's what they initially said back when all they had was assembly.

I wouldn't start with C++ personally. Unless you've got a real talent for computation, I think most people would struggle.

Python all the way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ute View Post
    If you are planning to self-teach, I recommend freecodecamp.com. It's a really good tool for learning full-stack (front and back end) web development. It starts with HTML and CSS, but you can actually skip it if you want. I recommend going through it for practice though and to make sure your skills are where they should be.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!
    Signed up there, this is awesome. Will recommend. HTML is ez ofcourse, but the rest will come. Seems like a good program (pcmag recommends it aswell). Also i like the idea of contributing to a non-profit website.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2016-08-01 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    HTML and CSS is actually really easy, but it's also sort of so basic, that i would not really call it a programming language.

Python is fine for basic syntax and what not, but it's not very useful outside of, you know, Scientific computations, game scripts or other very few select areas (Some games can be made in it, with the PyGame module.)

Java is, well, not hard, but if you are completely new to programming, you will walk uphills, and once you know Java, C++ and what not just comes naturally, you'll actually come to hate Java, cuz of it's utter garbage in terms of memory allocation and probably develop one or two quirks of how you irk some details.

But yeah, it depends on how code savy you already figure you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it matters what you start with: as soon as you've gotten the base ideas common for most languages, all that's left is learning the details and syntax, and those are pretty straightforward, just time consuming.
    You can start with BASIC, C/C++, Pascal, Fortran, Python, anything - although I'd recommend to start with the language you are going to use the most.

---

Oh, don't start with Assembler or Knuth's language, unless you like headaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I don't think it matters what you start with: as soon as you've gotten the base ideas common for most languages, all that's left is learning the details and syntax, and those are pretty straightforward, just time consuming.
    You can start with BASIC, C/C++, Pascal, Fortran, Python, anything - although I'd recommend to start with the language you are going to use the most.

---

Oh, don't start with Assembler or Knuth's language, unless you like headaches.
    Na, Syntax is definitily easier in some languages compared to others, especially if you are just getting the hang of operators and general structure of Coding

(For instance, knowing Object oriented paragdim of Programming is INSANELY useful for learning Java, it becomes very easy when you know of it)

(And knowing Java for C++ makes C++ very easy, as well, etc. etc.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draculla View Post
    1st one Because I don´t give a fuck if code will be longer. + it looks better while you are searching between functions
    I just think it looks off as shit, really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    HTML and CSS is actually really easy, but it's also sort of so basic, that i would not really call it a programming language.

Python is fine for basic syntax and what not, but it's not very useful outside of, you know, Scientific computations, game scripts or other very few select areas (Some games can be made in it, with the PyGame module.)

Java is, well, not hard, but if you are completely new to programming, you will walk uphills, and once you know Java, C++ and what not just comes naturally, you'll actually come to hate Java, cuz of it's utter garbage in terms of memory allocation and probably develop one or two quirks of how you irk some details.

But yeah, it depends on how code savy you already figure you are.
    I figure caus we currently working with MYSQL, HTML, CSS and JAVA those would be starters. As we are migrating ill pick up PHP and then whatever codeing adds to the experience or my personal preference. Python would be more of a experimental thing for me. Also taking quick looks at languages most use the same .... what u call em... rules? "if this then that" "if this equals X then blabla" etc. Just the code is slightly different.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2016-08-01 at 09:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I figure caus we currently working with MYSQL, HTML, CSS and JAVA those would be starters. As we are migrating ill pick up PHP and then whatever codeing adds to the experience or my personal preference. Python would be more of a experimental thing for me. Also taking quick looks at languages most use the same .... what u call em... rules? "if this then that" "if this equals X then blabla" etc. Just the code is slightly different.
    Conditional statements ; And yeah, the syntax and the complexity of them differs.

For instance, Python has a very easy time with thoose, but also is kinda shit at it ; as you write as simple as ;

if <something>:
    <do something>

or you can do as follows;

if <something> and <something>: //Keep in mind, Python cannot differentiate a and statement further, it's simply and
    <do something> //Actually, you could involve and not, but it's still very basic...

Whilst in Java, you could do shit like:

int num = 5 //We put a int to be 5

if (num == 5 && num > 4) { //Java can differentiate with a Simple & (and) and a Logical And (&&), Python cannot
    <do something>
    }

You could also declare privacy levels in Java, do getFunctions and setFunctions (can't do that in Python, like, at all, lol, cause no privacy, you only go between class variables and Globalizing/having factors on instance level)

But yeah, i recommend doing HTML/CSS -> Java/MYSQL, and then doing whatever.
    Last edited by mmoc411114546c; 2016-08-01 at 09:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post

if (num == 5 && num > 4) { //Java can differentiate with a Simple & (and) and a Logical (&&), Python cannot
    <do something>
    }
    Back in the 90s, I had such a hard time understanding the difference between if(x=x) and if(x==x). I had a serious problem for eaches too. I love how in C# how I can foreach(DataRow dr in dt.rows). I remember that being such a hard concept when I was new to the game.

And I hate to admit, even as a full stack Sr Developer, I still have to use Google to write Regular Expressions for validation.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2016-08-01 at 09:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm already late to the party but I think C, Java, or C++ would be your best bet at learning a language. One important thing I'd like to mention is that the more you learn one language, the more you will realize a decent amount of similarities in the way things are written across the different languages making others easier to learn.

If you're looking to get into web stuff, I'd suggest Ruby, but before that get into HTML/CSS. They aren't programming languages but are fairly important to know when it comes down to web development. They're also very easy to learn and there are numerous amounts of helpful cheat sheets that you can find online to help you out.
    Last edited by Seramore; 2016-08-01 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Start with something like F# (functional programming language), it might be a hard start, but trust me if you start by learning a functional language, you will code so much cleaner/faster/better OO code.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Back in the 90s, I had such a hard time understanding the difference between if(x=x) and if(x==x). I had a serious problem for eaches too. I love how in C# how I can foreach(DataRow dr in dt.rows). I remember that being such a hard concept when I was new to the game.

And I hate to admit, even as a full stack Sr Developer, I still have to use Google to write Regular Expressions for validation.
    haha, i get ya man, first time i laid eyes upon Regular expressions, i was like "What the f$€% is this?", but i figure it's something that one has to just bash into ones head until it becomes a bad habbit of mumbling it in ones sleep :P

I personally recall dictionaries in Python being my arch nemesis for a while, cause i just could not understand the concept of keys, but once i actually started using them, it was pretty simple. I tend to forget now and then, but it ain't ever really like "Oh shit, i don't know", it's more like "*Sigh*, what was that again?"