Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Books] Looking for Sci-Fi (and some fantasy recommendations)

Okay, I'm a Dane, going to London tomorrow.. I always visit Waterstone

So, I was wondering, if anyone could help with some recommendations.

Sci-Fi I have bought on previous trips, and really liked:
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Hyperion Cantos - Dan Simmons
    The Stars My Destination
    The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North
    The Martian - Andy Weir
    Gateway - Frederik Pohl
    The Ender Quartet - Orson Scott Card

I've tried to put them in the order I liked them the most, but I loved all of them.

On my to buy list, I only currently have some Isaac Asimov books / collections, that I would like to try out.
    Earth is Room Enough
    Nine Tomorrows
    Nightfall and other Stories
    I, Robot.

So, what Sci-Fi books, is a must get? Or anything that are in the style of the above books, that you can recommend?

On my last trip I also bought:
    The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch, and I loved it. Had to order the next two books as soon as I got back home.. I love a good con artist story.
    I think the reason I ended up with that book, was because of recently reading the Rogues Anthology by George R. R Martin, which had a lot of good short stories..

So, besides the Sci-Fi recommendations, I'm also asking for tips about books with thiefs / rogues / con artist, prefferably in a sci-fi / fantasy theme.

Ohh and I love the idea of the subreddit "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!", where I've alteast been following the story "Humans don't make Good Pets"..

If anyone actually read my rabble and have got some ideas, please share.. I'm gonna go spend an entire day in Waterstone looking for books anyway.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Quibble; 2016-08-01 at 05:19 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

I see you've missed a foundational piece of science-fiction literature: Dune, by Frank Herbert.

To have not read this is a major black mark of one's credibility as a sci-fi connoisseur.

The end of eternity (Asimov) - it is a masterpiece

Deathworld series by Garrison - easy-reading adventures
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you read The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin yet? They're a post apocalyptic vampire series that I bought for my brother who then fanboied all over them and told me I had to read them. I'm on the first book, The Passage, and it's really good! The vampire aspect is handled more like sci-fi, similar to Walking Dead or World War Z, where the vampires are a result of a virus outbreak instead of something magical.

Highly recommend. This is the first thing I've read from Cronin but I'm loving his writing style. Like butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    I see you've missed a foundational piece of science-fiction literature: Dune, by Frank Herbert.
    I know about it, but.. I saw the movie version of it a few years ago, and it was just a pile of shit (I really didn't like it), so it hasn't reach my book list yet.. I know it was probably stupid to watch the movie first, because in general, movie adaptions never live up to the book. But it just didn't give me any feeling of rush to read.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Deleted
    you need some culture while in london. so read consider phlebas, player of games and others by ian m banks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrus View Post
    Okay, I'm a Dane, going to London tomorrow.. I always visit Waterstone

So, I was wondering, if anyone could help with some recommendations.

Sci-Fi I have bought on previous trips, and really liked:
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Hyperion Cantos - Dan Simmons
    The Stars My Destination
    The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North
    The Martian - Andy Weir
    Gateway - Frederik Pohl
    The Ender Quartet - Orson Scott Card

I've tried to put them in the order I liked them the most, but I loved all of them.

On my to buy list, I only currently have some Isaac Asimov books / collections, that I would like to try out.
    Earth is Room Enough
    Nine Tomorrows
    Nightfall and other Stories
    I, Robot.

So, what Sci-Fi books, is a must get? Or anything that are in the style of the above books, that you can recommend?

On my last trip I also bought:
    The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch, and I loved it. Had to order the next two books as soon as I got back home.. I love a good con artist story.
    I think the reason I ended up with that book, was because of recently reading the Rogues Anthology by George R. R Martin, which had a lot of good short stories..

So, besides the Sci-Fi recommendations, I'm also asking for tips about books with thiefs / rogues / con artist, prefferably in a sci-fi / fantasy theme.

Ohh and I love the idea of the subreddit "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!", where I've alteast been following the story "Humans don't make Good Pets"..

If anyone actually read my rabble and have got some ideas, please share.. I'm gonna go spend an entire day in Waterstone looking for books anyway.
    Thanks in advance
    Dune is something you really should read.

If you liked the first 4 Ender's Game books I would also recommend the Ender's Shadow series. I can't speak on any of the later additions to the universe as I have not read them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    you need some culture while in london. so read consider phlebas, player of games and others by ian m banks
    ^^ First I thought you meant british culture, so I was gonna reply, that I am going there for the teather / musical scene
    But I will check it out.

Keep it up, you lovly people I'm gonna look up every book recommendation I get. Been stuck with nothing new to read on my shelves for a while, so I plan on bringing a lot of books home.

You might enjoy Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan - about a rogue & warrior. He set out to write a PG series, I'm halfway through and quite enjoying it myself.

For fantasy: Belgariad & Mallorean sets (5 books each) by David & Leah Eddings.
    Sword of Truth by Terry Goodking, I loved the first 4 books in the 10 book series.
    Chris Woodings: Tales of the Ketty Jay (4 books) and the Braided Path (ominibus)
    And of course: Fafhard & the Grey Mouser, the original Conan books by Robert E. Howard
    SF: Ringworld series by Niven

Deleted
    ^^ First I thought you meant british culture, so I was gonna reply, that I am going there for the teather / musical scene
    But I will check it out.

Keep it up, you lovly people I'm gonna look up every book recommendation I get. Been stuck with nothing new to read on my shelves for a while, so I plan on bringing a lot of books home.
    all you need are culture books. the minds have some great names.

7+ Year Old Account
    The 5 book series by James S. A. Corey: The Expanse
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ex...(novel_series)

---
    The Lies of Locke Lamora sounds pretty interesting; the summary reminds me a bit of the Gord of Greyhawk stories I read back in the 80s.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2016-08-01 at 09:09 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fafhard & the Grey Mouser is from Fritz Leiber not from Robert E. Howards.
    What i can also reccomend is from Peter F. Hamilton "The great North Road".

Deleted
    My recommendation is Star Carrier series by Ian Douglas. Its 6 books long atm.
    It has some "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" moments. Ian Douglas (Real name William H. Keith, Jr.) has other books too, havent read any of those thou.
    But if they are anything like star carrier series, you could try them too.

I know about it, but.. I saw the movie version of it a few years ago, and it was just a pile of shit (I really didn't like it), so it hasn't reach my book list yet.. I know it was probably stupid to watch the movie first, because in general, movie adaptions never live up to the book. But it just didn't give me any feeling of rush to read.
    The Dune movie only has a passing resemblance to the books, the original Frank Herbert books are excellent. The prequels, sequels and interquels written by his son are distinctly lower quality.

The Foundation books by Asimov are really great, especially the earlier ones. The latest couple are a bit odd as they try to tie the Foundation to earlier robot fiction, they also pull some space magic out of their arse in a way that Bioware later copied with the ending of Mass Effect to terrific backlash.

Get some Iain M. Banks, he's absolutely brilliant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lilfot View Post
    Star Carrier series by Ian Douglas. "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" moments.
    You men Yeah! fror America, Fuck! the French. The whole US vs corrupt "EU" politcal conflict, feel a bit to much American flag waving for my taste.

The US "EU" (world goverment) political drama is only one part (and it is gray vs dark gray) The Star carrier fights and all various space aliens (and there motives) make it a intresting reading. One of the rare time the space aliens actually have a reasonable motive to hammer humaity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    You men Yeah! fror America, Fuck! the French. The whole US vs corrupt "EU" politcal conflict, feel a bit to much American flag waving for my taste.

The US "EU" (world goverment) political drama is only one part (and it is gray vs dark gray) The Star carrier fights and all various space aliens (and there motives) make it a intresting reading. One of the rare time the space aliens actually have a reasonable motive to hammer humaity.
    True, true. It goes bit too far with the its "American flag waving" for my taste too.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Hm, you could try some of the Warhammer 40K books, that franchise is basically High Science-Fantasy, or High Fantasy in Space really. Some of the books are even quite well written too.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Hm, you could try some of the Warhammer 40K books, that franchise is basically High Science-Fantasy, or High Fantasy in Space really. Some of the books are even quite well written too.
    Of these, I'd recommend you start off with the Eisenhorn trilogy by Dan Abnett. It's a great introduction to the WAR40k universe from the perspective of an agent of the Empire that doesn't overwhelm you with the immensity of the franchise's mythos. The Eisenhorn trilogy is actually apart of an even bigger trilogy (that comprises three trilogies: The Eisenhorn trilogy, the Ravenor Trilogy, and the in progress Bequin trilogy. Read them in that order). They are great.

Dan Abnett has also written another series of WAR40k novels called "Gaunt's Ghosts", which is from the perspective of a red shirt army. However, unlike the above, these books mercilessly shower the reader in too many names to keep track of unless you've already been inducted into the lore. As such, I'd recommend you read them after Eisenhorn-Ravenor-Bequin.

Deleted
    Oh yeah. Now that we are talking about Warhammer 40k, I would recommend The Horus Heresy -series too.
    But gotta give a small warning. Its big and messy bunch of stories. Sure, the big lines are clear, but there is many writers to the story and it might get bit messy, especially if you have no previous experience with Warhammer 40k.
    Wikipedia explains more

Deleted
    If you want "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" then I recomend Footfall by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.

Space elefants coming to conquer earth and to integrate humanity into there tribe (there own planet is dying) Now the space elefants have to obey the laws of physics and have no "mumbo-jumbo SF technology. So there main space ship is a fusion powerd bussard ramjet generation ship.

They use kinetic strike from orbit to soften up earth and then make landing shatter the armored division who is sent agenst them (the book is writen during the cold war) then a big "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" begin, nuclear weapons are being deployed on a massive scale against the bridgehead "they are crazy they burn there primary land for foodstuff with radioactive fire"

Then a bigger "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" occur Humanity build a gigantic nucler bomb powerd orion space ship, armed with more nuclear weapons than you can imagine to destroy the space elefants main space ship
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2016-08-03 at 05:56 PM.