Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Summer Games 2016 Loot Boxes

Via the German PS Store:

Celebrate Overwatch’s inaugural Summer Games with special Summer Games Loot Boxes—available for a limited time*!

Each contains four items, at least one of which is guaranteed to be a Summer Games skin, spray, highlight intro, emote, victory pose, player icon, or voice line. There are more than 90 Summer Games items to collect—they’re are not available for purchase with in-game credits, so Loot Boxes are the only way to claim them.

If your Summer Games Loot Box contains an item that is already in your collection, you will instead receive credits, which can only be used to unlock non–Summer Games items.

*Summer Games Loot Boxes are available to purchase or earn in-game until 8/22/16 at 11:59pm PT.
    Yesterday a streamer, Laced Up Lauren, received a package from Blizzard including some special goodies hinting at some new content themed after the Rio Summer Olympics, including skins, sprays, and possibly a new map and/or game mode set in Rio.

Clear images of the sprays and possible Rio map can also be seen on her twitter: https://twitter.com/LacedUpLauren/st...47299037884420

At present it's not clear how these alternate lootboxes will be obtained in-game, but it seems that the new content will likely be patched into the game during today's maintenance.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2016-08-02 at 09:58 AM.

Last edited by Demoncrash; 2016-08-02 at 09:45 AM.

if we dont get roadhog in a speedo ima riot
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Where is Zika Zenyatta? Also, weight lifiting Zarya should just be banned.

Seriously, these looks really awful and I don't get why they're bringing out skins for it.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Kinda weird how they put Torbjörn as a water polo player when it's a really insignificant sport in Sweden and it doesn't really fit his character either. I wonder if they got it mixed up with handball.
    Last edited by babyback; 2016-08-02 at 09:45 AM.

Shouldn't they ban Zarya from Olympics? She is clearly on steroids.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Shouldn't they ban Zarya from Olympics? She is clearly on steroids.
    Since most heroes are genetically and/or cybernetically enhanced, I'm not sure that's a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Kinda weird how they put Torbjörn as a water polo player when it's a really insignificant sport in Sweden and it doesn't really fit his character either. I wonder if they got it mixed up with handball.
    Lucio also plays Hockey, dunno why they have him playing football.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Seriously, these looks really awful and I don't get why they're bringing out skins for it.
    It definitely fits the theme and aesthetic of the game, IMO. International cast of characters coming together in competition. Plus, Rio de Janeiro has always been on the shortlist for future Overwatch maps.

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    if we dont get roadhog in a speedo ima riot
    Since it only states that there are "over 90" items, I don't think every character is going to get a skin. Probably just Lucio, Tracer, and Zarya. And then one cosmetic of each other type for every character, and a player icon or two. Brings the total to around 92.

Since the event only lasts 20 days and there's no way to target specific items, I really hope they have a way to specifically grind for these Summer Games lootboxes. If they just replace the standard lootboxes for the duration of the event, that's pretty scummy and basically means you have to fork over real cash to get everything.

If they do this well, I think it bodes well for future seasonal events... but if it's just a money grubbing limited duration event to jack up microtransaction sales, I'll be really unhappy. Guess we'll find out in a few hours...

MCree's horse included?

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hope and pray it's not just those 3 skins. I at the very least want a tanktop mei (like in the spray)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Lucio also plays Hockey, dunno why they have him playing football.
    Since 1> He's Brazilian, and football's big in Brazil, and
    2> Hockey's a Winter Olympics thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy loot boxes so the Olympic stuff you get can be duplicates too
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

Why is Mei not the short stubby chubby lil girl I thought she was

Also good to see Zarya not being banned.
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2016-08-02 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Since the event only lasts 20 days and there's no way to target specific items, I really hope they have a way to specifically grind for these Summer Games lootboxes. If they just replace the standard lootboxes for the duration of the event, that's pretty scummy and basically means you have to fork over real cash to get everything.
    Right now, when you go to "open lootboxes", you just have the one lootbox to click. It would probably be relatively trivial to just have additional lootbox types appear there, and you just click on whichever one you want to open.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killmaim Deathbringer View Post
    I hope and pray it's not just those 3 skins. I at the very least want a tanktop mei (like in the spray)
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's just those 3 skins for now.. But I do hope there'll be more

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post
    Why is Mei not the short stubby chubby lil girl I thought she was
    Because it's all layers.. It confused me the first time too

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post

Because it's all layers.. It confused me the first time too
    Well its quite clear now seeing her scantilly-clad that she was just always sensitive to the cold... which is quite an ironical oxymoron

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like--
    Can't obtain these skin through in-game gold or paying with gold. Only through random loot box drops.
    Plus buying loot boxes are only going to contain Olympics if purchased once released, and for a limited time.

Well, damn. Better not get attached to these skins now

Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post
    Well its quite clear now seeing her scantilly-clad that she was just always sensitive to the cold... which is quite an ironical oxymoron
    Scantily clad? She's wearing shorts and t shirt.

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if they announce the money goes to a charity? (Lol who the fuck am I kidding)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Since 1> He's Brazilian, and football's big in Brazil, and
    2> Hockey's a Winter Olympics thing.
    Ice Hockey is a Winter Olympics thing. Field Hockey is a Summer Olympics thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Ice Hockey is a Winter Olympics thing. Field Hockey is a Summer Olympics thing.
    Speaking as a Canadian who knows that Lucio's skins are clearly ice hockey gear (he has skates, c'mon), there is only one Hockey, and that's the kind played on ice.

This "field hockey" is a silly abomination. It's like if I invented a sport I called "ice baseball" and played baseball in a rink. Silly.