Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Good! I hope more and more places do this and we will see this mass shooting crap go down.
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Texas, fuck yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Not gonna read that many pages of nonsense. The post in question needs to be a little more clear to begin with.
    Why quote something if you haven't read the whole thing? we could have avoided this :P Never mind...

Originally Posted by Whitehatter View Post
    I'm British my good chum ..
    Over here collage students are like 16 years on wards so when i read " certain students to bring guns into classrooms" and the word collage i imagine it to be a bunch of teenagers doing theirs studies...

Tbh.. i was just having a bit of fun and yes i know it's serious matter .. sorry xxx but i am curious... how does the american school system work?

for the uk it is ,... Nursery school 3-4 year old - Infant 4-7 year old - Junior 7-11 year old - Comprehensive 11-16 year old - Collage 16 + year old

the other guys response

Ah no worries! Just wanted to clarify for ya.

Pre-school is generally 3-5, Elementary is 5-12, Middle-School 12-14, High-School 14-18, and then college.

You can go to college at really any age but you have to be really smart/put a lot of work in.
    tl dr... as i'm from England your terminology is sometimes different to ours so one miss read the age of these "students" .. no big

but i was also making fun at the solution to the problem.. we have a gun problem.. more guns? /Oprah ...
    Logically speaking wouldn't the greater result be to get rid of ALL guns? well not all but you know where im going with this, i am aware of your constitution but come on really? look at england we dont care about guns and look how many gun related deaths are reported... i dont want a discusion it, i just wanted people to see the humor in irony

lets put out the fire by sticking more fuel on it :P ..... just saying from a logical PoV <3

peace xx
    Last edited by Whitehatter; 2016-08-02 at 02:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Nope. When was the last time you taught at the university level? Did you notice the number of students who are taking medication for various conditions that may influence their mood? Have you had to deal with the student who goes off the deep end over their grade, or breaking up, or because it was Tuesday? It can be less than fun.

Lots of, probably most of, the students in a given class are good enough people. Teach enough classes though, and you'll have days where things go wrong and sometimes quickly.

The gun fairy doesn't keep guns out of a classroom, but he doesn't invite people to bring their guns to class either. This law comes close to doing just that. There will be people who bring a gun to class just because they've been given the go ahead, but guns have no place in classrooms. They do not, for example, encourage open discussion. There is also the factor that tends to get glossed over, accidental discharges do happen. Twitchy people strung out because they just pulled an all-nighter using smart drugs may not be the best group to have a gun crammed into their book bag. I think the article generally lumps these things together as "the combination of youth, firearms and college life". I'm sure Texas' professors were quite aware of the ways classrooms can go wrong, and the danger firearms will add.

Same place as usual. Now, the question you probably wanted to ask was "Bungee, you're over in China, what were the odds of you teaching in Texas, anyway?" The answer to which would be: "Odd thing, that. I have family in that part of the US, as well as a number of contacts from back in the day, and from time to time we talk about things like job openings."
    I highly doubt anything of significance will happen.

And this law does not invite people to do so. It simply makes it legal to do so if they choose.

How do side-arms prevent open discussion?

I also disagree that guns don't have a place in the classroom. Perhaps if schools employed sufficient armed security then armed students wouldn't be necessary. But that's not the case. And in a world where people will do anything to kill innocent civilians (See recent European attacks) I think the risk is worth the reward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Salient points that will be glossed over by the usual suspects who don't hold college education, or education in general in high regard.
    I understand the points, and have a college degree (GASP), but simply disagree with the points being made.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Texas isn't exactly leading the country in education anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by akaTheDude View Post
    Good! I hope more and more places do this and we will see this mass shooting crap go down.
    lmao. You realize every time there's a mass shooting that there's never been a civilian shoot the bad guy down, right?

Creepy emo kid comes to school with his gun... everyone immediately starts firing at each other. Yeah, this will turn out great.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    I understand the points, and have a college degree (GASP), but simply disagree with the points being made.
    They aren't points, they are facts of life as a college student. All nighters, self medicating, binge drinking, drug use, hormones, anxiety, all packaged nice and tidy inside a classroom with 30+ other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do side-arms prevent open discussion?
    Maybe Professors will be less inclined to get on bad students if they know they're packing?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitehatter View Post
    Why quote something if you haven't read the whole thing? we could have avoided this :P Never mind...

the other guys response

tl dr... as i'm from England your terminology is sometimes different to ours so one miss read the age of these "students" .. no big

but i was also making fun at the solution to the problem.. we have a gun problem.. more guns? /Oprah ...
    Logically speaking wouldn't the greater result be to get rid of ALL guns? well not all but you know where im going with this, i am aware of your constitution but come on really? look at england we dont care about guns and look how many gun related deaths are reported... i dont want a discusion it, i just wanted people to see the humor in irony

lets put out the fire by sticking more fuel on it :P ..... just saying from a logical PoV <3

peace xx
    gun problem, we dont have a gun problem, we have an respect problem, low life crooks feel they can get away with stuff and not have any accountability. its not about the guns.. its about that the bad guys will always have them, its about leveling the playing field and allowing those in this country the right to defend them selves from crooks who have guns.

Being aware of our constitution... hmm, so you admit your understanding and knowledge of our constitution is just.. "aware"...
    lets work on reading it, understanding what the founding fathers wanted and maybe you will see how they despised the rule we where under and wanted to make sure it never came back.

your last point is mute.. cause the fuel is all wrong. .. lol see humor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nacixems View Post
    gun problem, we dont have a gun problem, we have an respect problem, low life crooks feel they can get away with stuff and not have any accountability. its not about the guns.. its about that the bad guys will always have them, its about leveling the playing field and allowing those in this country the right to defend them selves from crooks who have guns.

Being aware of our constitution... hmm, so you admit your understanding and knowledge of our constitution is just.. "aware"...
    lets work on reading it, understanding what the founding fathers wanted and maybe you will see how they despised the rule we where under and wanted to make sure it never came back.

The founding fathers never envisioned a world in which tens of thousands of handguns would be stolen from "responsible" gun owners, neither would they ever think of the unfettered access criminals, mentally-ill, and toddlers would have in contact with firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Maybe Professors will be less inclined to get on bad students if they know they're packing?
    If they are histrionic fools, perhaps. Their lawsuit is so incompetent it raises serious questions if these people should actually be teaching anyone, anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    The founding fathers never envisioned a world in which tens of thousands of handguns would be stolen from "responsible" gun owners, neither would they ever think of the unfettered access criminals, mentally-ill, and toddlers would have in contact with firearms.
    omg, pretty sure your NOT the expert on what the founding fathers envisioned. wow talk about left field. sound like Hillary, lets pull a rabbit out of our hat and just invent all kinds of stuff.. "they never envisioned we would send a man to the moon or have so many entitlements in this country, they never envisioned the federal gov. to have the Power they have, they wanted the states to have more power, . " way to misdirect the post.. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    If they are histrionic fools, perhaps. Their lawsuit is so incompetent it raises serious questions if these people should actually be teaching anyone, anyway.
    I mean it's not super common but professors do get threatened from time to time. Add in guns to the mix and... well

10+ Year Old Account
    But they still won't know. Just as they didn't know before.

They aren't points, they are facts of life as a college student. All nighters, self medicating, binge drinking, drug use, hormones, anxiety, all packaged nice and tidy inside a classroom with 30+ other people.
    I understand that. I went to college.

Doesn't mean anything prevented students from carrying before hand. Most colleges don't have metal detectors or strip searches for each student upon entering a class.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedTauren View Post
    Creepy emo kid comes to school with his gun... everyone immediately starts firing at each other. Yeah, this will turn out great.
    Nothing stopped them from doing so before.

So I doubt they will now.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    But they still won't know. Just as they didn't know before.
    Of course but at least before it was safe to assume nobody was strapped. Now you can bet money that somebody will be.

Good to see that the Texas government is failing its populous on both protecting and education. This crapnhas been proven a disaster in every place it's been tried just like trickle down economics, strange how both are promoted by the same group.

humor is relative! .. my last point was more about the IRONY! or another example of it, it wasn't meant literally

the comment about your constitution was made because i was avoiding pointless posts saying... well.. its our right to bear arms, yes i know it is BUT, what i was also was saying is if you all don't have guns then you are less likely to shoot each other!...

yes i agree with you the guns aren't the problem and the people wielding them are but if those people didn't have a gun then they wouldn't have killed x amount of people no?

It's a different world over there, and i doubt there will be a fix for the problem but at least texas is trying to come up with proactive ideas, kudos on them for trying

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course but at least before it was safe to assume nobody was strapped. Now you can bet money that somebody will be.
    Come on now. It's Texas. You have to assume everyone is strapped. The only place where that may apply more is Alaska.

15+ Year Old Account
    omg, pretty sure your NOT the expert on what the founding fathers envisioned. wow talk about left field. sound like Hillary, lets pull a rabbit out of our hat and just invent all kinds of stuff.. "they never envisioned we would send a man to the moon or have so many entitlements in this country, they never envisioned the federal gov. to have the Power they have, they wanted the states to have more power, . " way to misdirect the post.. lol
    It isn't mis-direction, where do you think criminals get their handguns? From the handgun fairy?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitehatter View Post
    humor is relative! .. my last point was more about the IRONY! or another example of it, it wasn't meant literally

It's a different world over there, and i doubt there will be a fix for the problem but at least texas is trying to come up with proactive ideas, kudos on them for trying
    yes it is, understood.

it is a different world over here, and i agree they are trying. i still blame microwaves for all our problems..