Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeldre View Post
    A lot of vanillas difficulty came down to...

-Raiding was new for almost everyone.
    -40 people is a lot of people to coordinate.
    -Gearing was a pain in the ass and needed for a lot of bosses. If someone dropped from your guild chances are you were stuck gearing someone else up to replace them, which may mean running the previous raid instance or two again. A lot of fights also had pretty crazy gearchecks (4 horsemen, patchwork, etc)
    -No server transfers. If you were on an average or shitty server you had to make due with the people on your server.
    -No PTR or strategies available right away. When BWL was released we zoned in, pulled Razorgore and said "wtf?". Then we started playing around with our own strategies. It took awhile before there were strategies and videos posted all over.

The encounters were not as hard back then. I would imagine people would blow through them a lot faster nowadays due to having a lot of raid experience and being able to transfer servers and build a guild of like minded people.
    Server transfers was actually enabled in Naxx I remember guilds actively seeking out warriors with 4 pcs of Dreadnaught and offering to pay for a server transfer to do 4HM.

It doesn't really have anything to do with your post in general. Just wanted to point it out

Depends. Are we talking drop Naxx40 into today's WoW as an end of expansion raid with the current life cycle of a raid tier?

If we are - it'll be up on PTR and guilds will have time in the mid expansion raids to gear people up ahead of time.
    There will be a week of doing split runs in Naxx heroic before Naxx mythic opens.

With a complete raid tier beforehand to gear characters, strats from PTR tests and gear from split raids where it's better than last tier.....
    It'd be dead in time for lunch.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-08-02 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Yup as others have pointed out Classic Naxx has no mechanics. Think about it, the few it does have were considered revolutionary difficult for the time.

There isn't a single boss in the game where the main mechanic is massive tank damage. That's not how the game is played any more.

Considering it was vanilla Naxx was pretty revolutionary when it came to raid mechanics. Just look at Thaddius as an example. Sure there were some that were pretty standard but some were pretty cool for it's time. Like Loatheb, Heigan, Thaddius and not to forget KT who had 4 phases. That was pretty sick at the time.

This comparison again..When will people learn

It was a different game, simple as that, it just has the same name.

WoW was a MMORPG up until end of TBC.

After thats its a massively multiplayer action game, any RPG element was removed.

Naxxramas 40 was made for a RPG,a few bosses had a few gimmicks, requiring certain things you had to grind, as Frost Protection for Sapph/Kel Thuzad and so on.

Also, the numbers were completely different, most of Naxxramas40 boss abilities had the chance to 1 shot any non Tank/Warrior, generally anyone that didnt have 5k HP, or generally you couldnt stand in them for more than a tick maybe two, you would die at the 3rd.

It was a different game and different values, you can not compare.

I cleared about 70% of Naxx40.

At WoTLK i cleared everything in Naxx 10 but Sapphiron/Kel (Got late, people had to work the next day ;p) the 5th day of Wotlk release, we just got everyone that had dinged 70 into the raid from the whole server and went for it, since most of us had already done it in Vanilla, and killed Sarth 10man the day before.

Comparing the raids is retarded.

The biggest difference between then and now is "Amount of damage abilities did compared to Health Pool", this was changed from 3-4 abilities per boss that could prove lethal, to 10 abilities per boss that if you fuck up repeatedly, someone might die, but the biggest impact is OOM healers cause of raid damage.

Its a completely different way of raiding.

Quick example:

Anub'Rekhan impale would do 4k damage, i remember receiving around 3K cause it was mitigated by armor and as a warrior i could mitigate it more, but any cloth/leather would get 1 shotted by the following falling damage, so it would deal about 80% of any non-plate wearer instantly and around another 40% of falling damage.

Compare it to Anub of Naxx40:

10man 6k dmg physical+ falling

25man 7.5k damage +falling

when the health pool of players was 20-25K, meaning not even 50% of maximum Health from the Physical Portion of the Impale.

Cant compare the two.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-08-02 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    considering that raids today require no skill, no gear, nor dedication to grinding, i would say around mid way of the tbc expansion
    Hilariously insightful. Do you even raid, bro?

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    considering that raids today require no skill, no gear, nor dedication to grinding, i would say around mid way of the tbc expansion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1hXGXJ7Tg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx6ipbVOWvY

Clearly the Vanilla boss is harder. It's self evident if you have eyes in the front of your face, right? /s

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Many people forget that guilds in BC went back to Naxx 40 to check it out before WOTLK went live. Even then it wasn't a cakewalk despite 10 additional levels, new spells, talents and higher gear levels. Guilds still wiped, frequently. There was a reason very few people tried to farm Atiesh.
    And that reason is getting 40 people to agree to do a massive, outdated raid once a week for zero gain except for one person getting a novelty item.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    Goodness no. The level of "slop" designed into the current raids is pitiful.

Long gone are the days of "so and so screwed up = wipe"

Long gone are the days of = we finally fot our MTs and a solid roster of healers geared.. whoops cross recruited.

WTF is this pushback shit? It would be laughable.
    Talking like you've never done anything more than LFR, what a surprise
    Finbez
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological
    if only WoW had come out when I was a teenager. Back then online gaming consisted of text-based MUDs....I could type "kill orc" faster than any of my competition, brosephs, and played a mean giantman cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Naxx 40 was simplistic mechanically, but had cock-block bosses (such as Patchwerk) which couldn't be outskilled, you either had good enough gear or not. That would require a few weeks to gear up on other bosses just to have a geared enough raid to take him on.
    You obviously didnt gear up in vanilla. it took 5-10 months to gear up a 40 man team well geared enough for naxx, depending on guild migration or people leaving. When naxx came out guilds were stripped of their most geared players to form "better" geared guilds.
    Last edited by Redasurc; 2016-08-03 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flow1 View Post
    Clearly you didn't, it had nothing to do with "tight tuning" lol, it was just people being bad at the game and the fact that 90% of vanilla was broken/bugged
    I mean, if you want everyone to know you have no idea what you're talking about, you can just come out and say it. It's ok, we'll only judge you a bit.

Seriously though, if you're equating MC with 20~ idiots dead and still killing the boss easily to things like naxx 40 or sunwell, that's hilarious. That's basically comparing LFR to mythic. Also saying an entire expansion was broken/bugged and dismissing it entirely despite the fact that most of those bugs were fixed says enough about your awareness of the situation as it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redasurc View Post
    You obviously didnt gear up in vanilla. it took 5-10 months to gear up a 40 man team well geared enough for naxx, depending on guild migration or people leaving. When naxx came out guilds were stripped of their most geared players to form "better" geared guilds.
    Actually I did gear up in vanilla, I raided Naxx 40 until 4 horsemen before it destroyed our guild trying to keep geared tanks on roster.

I said it would take a few weeks to gear a raid up enough for Patchwerk not the entire instance.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Few weeks of constant farming, maybe. And that's assuming you could somehow clear everything up to Naxx in a new guild, which would be quite difficult. Poor gear would probably stop players at Vael, nevermind going through entire AQ.

I mean, we did have few runs where a fresh player was going through MC/BWL and had gear raining on them, getting several tier bonuses at once. But that person was carried by everyone else after weeks of farming. Doing it from scratch... nowhere near as easy.

Hey, look. The special difficulties vanilla raiders faced with Naxx 1.0 were very real. Those of who lived it know.

And yet, today's raiders aren't using yesterday's classes or mechanics or rep grinds or resist gear.. They're using today's. And with today's classes and mechanics, they pound that instance silly in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Actually I did gear up in vanilla, I raided Naxx 40 until 4 horsemen before it destroyed our guild trying to keep geared tanks on roster.

I said it would take a few weeks to gear a raid up enough for Patchwerk not the entire instance.
    How do you gear up 40-60 players from MC to NAXX in a couple of weeks. Patchwerk was one of the biggest gamestoppers gearwise .

How do you gear up 40-60 players from MC to NAXX in a couple of weeks. Patchwerk was one of the biggest gamestoppers gearwise .
    You didn't have to do Patchwerk first. The whole spider wing was doable in mostly bwl gear. Razuvious, Noth and Heigan were perfectly doable too.

would it be ridiculously overtuned like naxx40 was with retarded comp requirements just to be able to kill a boss? if yes then probably quite a few weeks, with the same limited amount of gear aquirable?

if it was balanced with the old mechanics it wouldnt take long

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    You didn't have to do Patchwerk first. The whole spider wing was doable in mostly bwl gear. Razuvious, Noth and Heigan were perfectly doable too.
    The question was to clear naxx, how long would it take.

15+ Year Old Account
    I never said anything about gearing people from MC to Naxx? I said from starting Naxx as a team which has the correct gear to start Naxx (Mixed T2/2.5 + world boss drops) to having the DPS, HPS and tank avoidance to kill Patchwerk would take a few weeks of clearing the other wing early bosses.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by boothisphere View Post
    Too many idiots in this thread.

1. Naxx wasnt mechanically hard
    2. Frost Resist could only be farmed in Naxx40, this made sapph/kt inaccessible for weeks.
    3. Loatheb, 4horse were the only 2 difficult fights (execution and raid comp)

If we teleported todays raiders back to Naxx40 they would still clear the place in 1-2 weeks.
    No they wouldnt. It would take them 6 months atleast to gear up to pass patch. Kitting 40 people with frost res and normal gear would atleast take 40 weeks of farming... Only way to finish it in 2-3 weeks would be if every guild capable of killing anything in there would join with other guilds and make a best kitted team for it. for a single guild to do it you would probably need 400 active players and 10 raidgroups.
    Last edited by Redasurc; 2016-08-04 at 08:34 AM.

It was pretty simple.

But it's also pretty simple to boil an egg today.

Try to go to Antarctica and boil an egg with no tools.

That's not too easy.