Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Has anyone notice a GPU Temp spike around lava.

I just started running MSI Afterbuner to track my temps and I just notice this.

Around lava my temp go's up to around 70c (max 73c) but in Warspear and my Garrsion it hovels near 60c. Has anyone else noticed such a spike?

I am playing at 1920x1080 on ultra (10) settings.

You would think ashen would run hotter due to more people. But I have stood at the lava pool next to the garrsion and watch my temp just rise. I have notice if I cut my fps to 30 it drops the temp a lot. But does the lava effects really put that much of a strain on the GPU?

It takes 5mins or so standing at the lava from it to go from 60c to 70c-73c.

Edit: Just kinda afked in Warspear to type all this out and my temp dropped down to 49c.

Edit: Can a mod fix the title, I ment to say lava...
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-02 at 10:20 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It sounds fine to me. My GTX 970 max temp was 84C, and as long it do not exceed 90C I would not worry about it.

Instead on lava, look on water - it should behave same way.
    Last edited by Alexeht; 2016-08-02 at 10:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

73C is perfectly safe for a modern GPU. Lot of high end cards get up to 80-84C with their stock fan profile/coolers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, lava IS pretty hot

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    It sounds fine to me. My GTX 970 max temp was 84C, and as long it do not exceed 90C I would not worry about it.

Instead on lava, look on water - it should behave same way.
    Ill try water when I log back on I considered trying it but didn't think much of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smank View Post
    Well, lava IS pretty hot
    I was waiting for a lava is hot joke LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    73C is perfectly safe for a modern GPU. Lot of high end cards get up to 80-84C with their stock fan profile/coolers.
    K cool that's good to know
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Around 70? Cool, it means it's actually working and not just letting your CPU do all the work.

Blizzard made a change how liquids are being rendered and its causing quite a big GPU stress while there is no visual changes in the water or any other liquid. Im noticing a similar issue with areas covered with fog. GPU temps spike up to 70 from 55-60 in non fog areas/water areas. For now im keeping the liquid details on Low...

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    That's about where my 760 ends up. It's a notoriously hot card, but I've had those temps with heavy play times for 3 years now. Can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Around 70? Cool, it means it's actually working and not just letting your CPU do all the work.
    Ya but what worried me is around lava while fishing alone I am pulling a higher temp then when I do LFR/NM raiding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    Blizzard made a change how liquids are being rendered and its causing quite a big GPU stress while there is no visual changes in the water or any other liquid. Im noticing a similar issue with areas covered with fog. GPU temps spike up to 70 from 55-60 in non fog areas/water areas. For now im keeping the liquid details on Low...
    Ya I am considering lowering my liquid down to low as well.

IMO that just hits way to hard when compared to like raiding.

Yep. I also noticed extreme framrate drops near lava. I'm talking 40-50 drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    Yep. I also noticed extreme framrate drops near lava. I'm talking 40-50 drops.
    I haven't noticed any fps drops anywhere really. Everything has been the same for me when it comes to fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I haven't noticed any fps drops anywhere really. Everything has been the same for me when it comes to fps.
    Do you have a fps cap on ?

Ya but what worried me is around lava while fishing alone I am pulling a higher temp then when I do LFR/NM raiding.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I am considering lowering my liquid down to low as well.

IMO that just hits way to hard when compared to like raiding.
    It's really nothing to worry about.
    You could maybe giggle about at Blizzards programming but some poorly optimized parts of WoD won't melt your GPU. Calm down.

Do you have a fps cap on ?
    Naw I let it run free lol.

- - - Updated - - -

It's really nothing to worry about.
    You could maybe giggle about at Blizzards programming but some poorly optimized parts of WoD won't melt your GPU. Calm down.
    I am calm but ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just look at your GPU usage, it's in the screenshots, it's running harder and therefore the temps are higher.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

- - - Updated - - -

I am calm but ok.
    Not trying to come off as condescending even though I might have.
    It's odd, I can agree on that.

Whats more worrying is that you can play the beta with your GPU half asleep and still get pretty sick FPS drops in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Just look at your GPU usage, it's in the screenshots, it's running harder and therefore the temps are higher.
    Kinda my point.....

Why is a empty spot with some lava running harder then a raid or warspear full of people.

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to come off as condescending even though I might have.
    It's odd, I can agree on that.

Whats more worrying is that you can play the beta with your GPU half asleep and still get pretty sick FPS drops in the middle of nowhere.
    I didn't know that could happen lol wow.

- - - Updated - - -

I am calm but ok.
    Limiting it on you monitor refresh rate may help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Completely noob question but is that an addon showing you temps and fps on game screen?
    I am running MSI Afterbuner in the background so I can display my temp and fps.

- - - Updated - - -

Limiting it on you monitor refresh rate may help with that.
    It mite but like I said its the only area I have noticed this.

I don#t like my GPU getting above 50, but yeah WoW seems to be increasing that temperature nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    Ya i think Karadros got it right sadly..
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRagebear View Post
    Sylvanas is flawless and should be canonized as a saint.