Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Lies. You can OC it to 5GHz and it will still give you less fps than just buying gtx 1070. This guy want to play game on "max settings" where game will be more bound with GPU! I do not have this hardware to test BUT I would be able to bet all my money on that i5 6600k oc to heaven + gtx 1060 will give LESS fps than i5 6500 and gtx 1070!!!
    Well get him a build with a GTX 1070 on a $1000 budget. On 1080p OCed processor and GTX 1060 will definetely give very similar FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Well get him a build with a GTX 1070 on a $1000 budget. On 1080p OCed processor and GTX 1060 will definetely give more fps than i5-6500 and GTX 1070.
    What do you mean? He said he raised budged by 200$, so using your config for $813.93 - 280 = 533,93$, + 429$ = 962,93$
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

What do you mean? He said he raised budged by 200$, so using your config for $813.93 - 280 = 533,93$, + 429$ = 962,93$
    My initial build uses are bare minimum for his performance needs. He need a different PSU with GTX 1070, I'd also get 16GB RAM first. It's also a waste of money - you dont need a GTX 1070 for WoW in 1080p.

My initial build uses are bare minimum for his performance needs. He need a different PSU with GTX 1070, I'd also get 16GB RAM first. It's also a waste of money - you dont need a GTX 1070 for WoW in 1080p.
    xD rotfl

500W psu is enough for i5 6500 + GTX 1080 (YES gtx 1080)

and previous build with gtx 1070 and 16GB RAM would be still UNDER 1k$ - and I'm 100% sure it would give better performance than getting 6600k which could OC by only 200MHz due to silicon lottery (or even to 5GHz it is really irrelevant). So yeah IMO getting 6600k over 6500 is real waste of money (as gtx 1070 will give a HUGE increase in all other games, and using oc'd 6600k would be barely noticeable).
    Last edited by Alexeht; 2016-08-02 at 09:45 PM.
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

xD rotfl

500W psu is enough for i5 6500 + GTX 1080 (YES gtx 1080)

and previous build with gtx 1070 and 16GB RAM would be still UNDER 1k$ - and I'm 100% sure it would give better performance than getting 6600k which could OC by only 200MHz due to silicon lottery (or even to 5GHz it is really irrelevant). So yeah IMO getting 6600k over 6500 is real waste of money (as gtx 1070 will give a HUGE increase in all other games, and using oc'd 6600k would be barely noticeable).
    There is no point in buying a videocard if you're processor cannot fully unlock it. i5 6500 cannot unlock a GTX 1070. Sure, 6600K is a waste of money if not overclocked, but a GTX 1070 for WoW in 1080p is a waste of money either way.

There is no point in buying a videocard if you're processor cannot fully unlock it. i5 6500 cannot unlock a GTX 1070. Sure, 6600K is a waste of money if not overclocked, but a GTX 1070 for WoW in 1080p is a waste of money either way.
    Why it is a waste of money? It will give more fps! This is my point from the beginning! oc'd 6600k + gtx 1060 = less fps, stock 6500 + gtx 1070 = more fps! 6500 will not bottleneck gtx 1070 to point where you would notice difference! I would love to buy both CPUs just to benchmark them and stick results in your face ...

And this is what OP was asking about - it is worth spending another 200$ for getting 6600k over 6500? NO! This is why I wrote that it would made more sense to just get gtx 1070 over gtx 1060 if he want to spend another 200$. Better CPU would have some sense if he would use it, but if he want to play games, especially other than WoW, he should but better GPU over better CPU. Capisce?
    Last edited by Alexeht; 2016-08-02 at 10:13 PM.

we have this argument every day in multiple threads.. and it always goes the same way every time. CPU determines your minimum FPS in player heavy environments. GPU determines your maximum FPS in boring environments with all your fancy GPU handled processing effects turned on.

OC a 6600k with a 1060 and you're set for raiding and junk.

don't OC a 6500 with a 1070 and you can still raid with lower settings, but boy oh boy that FPS when you are fishing in a secluded area!!

Why it is a waste of money? It will give more fps! This is my point from the beginning! oc'd 6600k + gtx 1060 = less fps, stock 6500 + gtx 1070 = more fps! 6500 will not bottleneck gtx 1070 to point where you would notice difference! I would love to buy both CPUs just to benchmark them and stick results in your face ...

And this is what OP was asking about - it is worth spending another 200$ for getting 6600k over 6500? NO! This is why I wrote that it would made more sense to just get gtx 1070 over gtx 1060 if he want to spend another 200$. Better CPU would have some sense if he would use it, but if he want to play games, especially other than WoW, he should but better GPU over better CPU. Capisce?
    Since we don't know his monitor, let's assume he has a standard 60 hz monitor, now what good is it to be able to get a max fps of 140+ he can not see while his fps will drop to less then 30 which he will definatelly notice when raiding or in a crowded city?

For wow get the better CPU the 1060 is more then sufficient unless you want to go 1440p or 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Since we don't know his monitor, let's assume he has a standard 60 hz monitor, now what good is it to be able to get a max fps of 140+ he can not see while his fps will drop to less then 30 which he will definatelly notice when raiding or in a crowded city?

For wow get the better CPU the 1060 is more then sufficient unless you want to go 1440p or 4k.
    More fps = less input lag

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think I'd go with over clocking as I wouldn't know what to do or where to start. As for playing wow, I rarely raid anymore, I log onto just do bgs for fun. I do want to play battlefield one on the pc. As for monitors I have a crappy one and have thought to upgrade it. Any recommendations for around maybe 200usd?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdp View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't think I'd go with over clocking as I wouldn't know what to do or where to start. As for playing wow, I rarely raid anymore, I log onto just do bgs for fun. I do want to play battlefield one on the pc. As for monitors I have a crappy one and have thought to upgrade it. Any recommendations for around maybe 200usd?
    http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaf...0&promoid=1071

Pretty decent quality 144hz panel, on sale for 187.00.

this changes things, and this is why filling out the sticky is a good idea!

a pc that plays bf1 nicely needs more than a pc that plays wow. a 1070 may be useful now!

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    this changes things, and this is why filling out the sticky is a good idea!

a pc that plays bf1 nicely needs more than a pc that plays wow. a 1070 may be useful now!
    I don't think it changes things I'm happy with the many build ideas. Bf1 can be played on any settings as wow is what I'll play 90% of the time. I do have a question concerning the motherboard. One of the builds listed a motherboard roughly 130 bucks and it had wifi built in. Is that superior to have a lower end motherboard and having a separate wifi adapter?

I don't think it changes things I'm happy with the many build ideas. Bf1 can be played on any settings as wow is what I'll play 90% of the time. I do have a question concerning the motherboard. One of the builds listed a motherboard roughly 130 bucks and it had wifi built in. Is that superior to have a lower end motherboard and having a separate wifi adapter?
    BF1 is a GPU hungry game (as are most FPS) so you wont be able to play BF1 on the same settings as WoW. The motherboard question depends on the form factor you're going for. If you're going for a small PC with mATX/ITX mobo you're probably better off with build in wireless. If you're going for the regular ATX mobo in a regular tower separate wireless adapter might be suitable.

BF1 is a GPU hungry game (as are most FPS) so you wont be able to play BF1 on the same settings as WoW. The motherboard question depends on the form factor you're going for. If you're going for a small PC with mATX/ITX mobo you're probably better off with build in wireless. If you're going for the regular ATX mobo in a regular tower separate wireless adapter might be suitable.
    Would upgrading to a full tower be a smart idea for future plans and what not?

Would upgrading to a full tower be a smart idea for future plans and what not?
    That depends on your needs. Full tower is mostly useful to fit a lot of components and have a good airflow with it, which implies overclocking. It also takes a lot of space. I wouldnt suggest doing that with your situation because of both your budget and inexperience. Get your ITX small wireless rig, use it to your advantage and if you're interested in enthusiast stuff next time you build a PC will have a better idea what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($38.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($38.88 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Kinguin Windows 10 key ($30.00)
    Other: GTX 1060 ($260.00)
    Total: $784.20
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-22 16:37 EDT-0400

About the most performance I could get. If you aren't comfortable with using a Kinguin Windows Key you can either cut the SSD, Hard Drive, or go for a RX 480 4GB as your GPU.

Either way you go with the GPU you're going to have a rough time finding one in stock. They're new and fly off the shelves fast. For the GTX 1060 do not go for the Founder's Edition.
    Going with this build and I have a question. Would it be better to get a second 8GB stick of the same kind or go with G Skills Ripjaws 4 series 16gb ddr4-2133 memory (2 8GB sticks)