10+ Year Old Account

Gold in August - September

OK, things seem to be in a state of flux. We're in the pre-patch, garrison gold nerfs are in, and for those of us who don't have beta access it may be less than clear how gold generation is going to go in the early part of Legion.

We can guess the usual suspects like a brief period where materials are expensive, but what about the rest? For example, a recent thread speculated that missions would still reward decent gold: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...all-over-again As more information came out during the thread, that was updated to show they probably wouldn't.

So, where are we getting our gold, and how necessary will it be to have huge sums for things aside from BMAH and a handful of regular items? WoD may have generated gold, but to go along with that vendors seemed to want thousands even for fairly minor things. Are vendors in Legion going to be selling things for 10,000 and up now?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

What do you really need to buy from a vendor on a regular basis thats expensive (and required)?
    Bonus Loot tokens are still sold for Gold (and various other resources if you have those to spare) at similar prices as they are in WoD.

I didn't feel like I needed any more gold in the beta, other then people making up ludicrous prices on the auction house, of course.
    They certainly didn't increase the cost of everything to drain the Draenor gold back out, at least I didn't see anything like that.

Deleted
    Well I would guess your gold comes from:

- Quests
    - Professions
    - AH
    - Old raid farming

And then some.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairel
    They certainly didn't increase the cost of everything to drain the Draenor gold back out, at least I didn't see anything like that.
    That at least gives me a bit of information on what to expect. As for your question, it isn't that I expect to be buying expensive things on a regular basis but rather that in WoD even fairly trivial stuff was running pretty high -- some of the cosmetic cooking stuff if I recall ran pretty steep for a minor tweak to our appearance. At least it sounds like that hasn't gotten worse. The one ultra expensive mount had me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillis
    Well I would guess your gold comes from
    Yep, I could have pretty well guessed the same. Now have that extra cup of coffee and consider that at various times across the game's previous expansions some of those have gone better and some have gone worse. That's why I asked how this one is shaping up.

For Legion, for example, I see some threads saying certain professions are going to have a mild advantage because they can craft more items that are needed for quests. On the other hand, I see posts that say professions are generally not going to be useful because they lag behind other gear. The same goes for bags. Some have speculated WoD bags will be in demand because Legion isn't adding much for bags (I gather there is one expensive bag from an NPC). Others, however, say that they haven't felt a need for extra bag space in Legion and they doubt the bags will be in strong demand. Old world raids? There have been nerfs and buffs to the drops. Are they going to be significant money makers, or just mount farming?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

1 common world quest give 70-80 gold. 1 group world quest gives 600+ gold. Daily emmisary box sometimes gives 600-800 gold. Class hall mission give 100+ gold + possible bonus for another 100+ gold.
    Gold is not a problem in legion.

old raid farming was nerfed somewhere around 10-15%. So instead 10k gold from cata raids you can get 8500 gold.
    Last edited by lukoil; 2016-08-03 at 12:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lukoil View Post
    1 common world quest give 70-80 gold. 1 group world quest gives 600+ gold. Daily emmisary box sometimes gives 600-800 gold. Class hall mission give 100+ gold + possible bonus for another 100+ gold.
    Gold is not a problem in legion.
    Sounds extremely low if you compare it to the 1000's of gold I was racking in daily in my garrisons and I actually have to go out and do stuff to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Sounds extremely low if you compare it to the 1000's of gold I was racking in daily in my garrisons and I actually have to go out and do stuff to get it.
    of course it is lower than in afk-wod.
    Legion is not intended for afk-gaming,

Deleted
    I actually have to go out and do stuff to get it.
    Horrifying indeed.

Best way to earn money is to play the AH always have been and always will be (except for the garrision)

Deleted
    Enchanting and Alchemy will always be pretty profitable. Vantus Runes from Inscription will probably be a decent source too, although it's only 1 per week per character so don't know where the demand will be.

First few weeks pretty much everything crafted will be overpriced and possibly even more than usual since some items will be needed for the Order Hall Campaign. I remember reading for instance that you'll need 1 of each type of bracer ( so basically Tailoring/Leatherworking/Blacksmithing) to open up the Obliterum forge ? Or for something else.

If you're after gold more than anything, I would, for the most part, sell raw mats in the first 2 weeks or so, all of that cloth, leather, herbs etc, will be massively overpriced and will quickly get cheaper.

That said, you do not need hundreds of thousands of gold. The only large gold sink that you would NEED would be the WoW Token, assuming you don't want to pay a subscription. Otherwise, the BMAH doesn't sell gear anymore, there are no (to my knowledge, maybe wrong ? ) vendors that sell gear ala the Apexis Vendors, all serious gold sinks (like the 2 million spider mount) are entirely cosmetic.

I suspect that between the (much rarer) Order Hall gold missions and the gold rewards from world quests, you will have enough if all you're using your gold for is repairs and consumables.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    Horrifying indeed.
    What if I run into someone I don't know? I don't know if I should talk to him or whack him on the head with my staff.
    Its terrifying out there.

Made some good money since the patch buy selling off my collection of BoE bits - also went out of my way to learn some old Vanilla patterns on some crafters, there were some big gaps in the market for crafted gear with an individual look and im often the only person selling.

Bags are still bringing in about 3k a day (Ember, Frost and Netherweave) and up to 5k at the weekends. Once you learn the price points to buy at its a cash cow.

Pet flipping can still make serious gold, but its more about luck than judgement - picked up some random pet on the AH for 200g last night and sold it for 20k within the hour.

Going into Legion? As others have said, the first 72 hours just sell sell sell. If you put the hours in you can make enough gold to last a whole expansion. Personally i am also hedging my bets in the Hexweave bag market, if it comes off then im laughing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownjuice
    Best way to earn money is to play the AH always have been and always will be
    With the caveat "if you have time to keep up with the undercutting and such". Right now, it seems like the addons are having a bit of trouble with the AH as well. I'm making do with Auctionator while waiting to see if Auctioneer gets sorted out. Undermine Journal is not as useful as it could be since they don't cover Chinese servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Relnor
    That said, you do not need hundreds of thousands of gold. The only large gold sink that you would NEED would be the WoW Token, assuming you don't want to pay a subscription.
    Thanks! Gods, no. Tokens are useless for me, they run 70-90k and buy a whopping 2700 minutes /played.

@lukoil Thanks, that fills in the picture nicely!

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lukoil View Post
    old raid farming was nerfed somewhere around 10-15%. So instead 10k gold from cata raids you can get 8500 gold.
    It is a lot more than 10-15%

25% drop in items worth
    and 40% drop in gold per boss (from 125 to 70)

Deleted
    What if I run into someone I don't know? I don't know if I should talk to him or whack him on the head with my staff.
    Its terrifying out there.
    Do as the ancient Pandaren people do - whack with staff first, ask questions second.

Deleted
    We are gonna get gold in legion, the same way we did in WOD

Unless this is a fake video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0A2aL75uE8

Garrisons where nerfed, but market demand has positively skyrocketed as people come back to the game and/or reroll classes in anticipation of legion or even to just try them out. I've made a full 400k just since pre patch launch, playing the AH.

If anything the market is moving a bit too fast atm, as commodity prices push higher and higher.... Since they aren't being generated as fast as they are being consumed/converted and sold.