Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    According to reporting from employment service professionals "millennial mindset" is becoming the primary reason to not-hire and/or fire an employee.

Makes sense doesn't it?

Millennials are anti-work ethic, anti-capitalism, and anti-accountability.

Employers don't want to be babysitters, they don't get into business to make sure everybody is happy and gets a "fair share", and they don't build safe spaces into the work environment.

Two incompatible groups.
    Again, another post not grounded in reality. If this were true there would be an unemployment rate 5-6 times higher than it is now due to the sheer number of working age millennials in the labor force.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    That's authoritarian, you can't arrest him without direct proof that he specifically incited violence.
    there's nothing inherently wrong with authoritarianism.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Icwhutudidthar.

Unfortunately for the religious nut crowd, it doesn't work that way. Just like you can't put a sign in front of your business that says " Whites Only." I'm so sorry you don't like the 21st century.

EDIT: Mr Shapiro is perfectly welcome to attend the university for its main purpose: study. For any other purpose, it's up to the administration. If conservatives don't like their decisions, don't give them your business by going there.

Free market, right? Don't you guys worship that more than God himself?
    Why do you assume that only conservatives want him to be able to speak?

This is what I don't like about this. This tribal, cultist attitude. "IF you don't agree with me, you are one of them!". It isn't a conservative view point to want universities to be places where ideas can be exchanged and debated. It isn't a conservative view point to be critical of institutions that reject this idea (the idea of universities being places to debate and discuss ideas). I am not criticising the decision because I am politically aligned with the speaker (I am not). If it was a university rejecting a left wing speaker (like when Julie Blindel and Germaine Greer was banned by the NUS in the UK, who, by the way, I very much disagree with), my argument was and is the same. It isn't about agreeing with the ideas being expressed- it is the duty of universities to be places where ideas can be expressed and debated. And yes, I do see it as a duty, it is the one place where this authoritarian mindset should not be tolerated, private university or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Again, another post not grounded in reality. If this were true there would be an unemployment rate 5-6 times higher than it is now due to the sheer number of working age millennials in the labor force.
    Well...

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/03/why-a...ommentary.html

U.S. census data show that 40 percent of our nation's unemployed are millennials, translating into 4.6 million young people out of work. And the number of employed young people making less than $25,000 a year has spiked significantly to the highest levels in more than a quarter century.
    Then of course is the landslide of memes about millennials taking on massive college debt to get bullshit social degrees nobody wants then moving back home with mom and dad and catching a job at starbucks blah blah blah...

The jokes come from a place of truth.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

So we've gone from
    "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
    to
    "shut up, you hurt my feels"
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2016-08-03 at 01:33 PM. Reason: benadryl brain damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    So we've gone from
    "I may not agree with you but I'll fight to the death to defend your right to say it"
    to
    "shut up, you hurt my feels"
    Who has?

/10 chars

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Well...

Then of course is the landslide of memes about millennials taking on massive college debt to get bullshit social degrees nobody wants then moving back home with mom and dad and catching a job at starbucks blah blah blah...

The jokes come from a place of truth.
    There are 80 million millennials. 4.6 million is 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Who has?

/10 chars
    seems the current (collage age) generation, not just at collage either, rioting instead of just picketing at opposing political campaigning parties rally's, talk of "safe spaces", the entire "trigger" BS... sure I'm missing some stuff.

seems the current (collage age) generation, not just at collage either, rioting instead of just picketing at opposing political campaigning parties rally's, talk of "safe spaces", the entire "trigger" BS... sure I'm missing some stuff.
    Aaaright, get you now, yea, I agree.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I make a remark about your spelling, will you consider me a elitist safe spacer?

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Icwhutudidthar.

Unfortunately for the religious nut crowd, it doesn't work that way. Just like you can't put a sign in front of your business that says " Whites Only." I'm so sorry...
    you just said they could though

and that your care cup would be empty when they did
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

If I make a remark about your spelling, will you consider me a elitist safe spacer?
    nah, I deserve it, I blame the allergy pills I took, we had a leak in the office and I think the wet carpet is killing me, eye's watering can't breath *or spell but that could be because I took a double dose, I'm fairly sure I will be under my desk on the floor passed out in about 20 minutes........

I hate conservayives and liberals pretty equally but nothin gets me more than a 22 year old lib shithead who knows nothing about the world wanting to change it with your money, we grt it you want free shit and love bernie SHUT IT

10+ Year Old Account
    "If you pay tuition, you're sponsoring the militant homosexual agenda. If you pay taxes, you're sponsoring the militant homosexual agenda. If your child majors in English, you're sponsoring the militant homosexual agenda."

Yeah, this guy is a veritable fountain of intelligence.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    We should stop pretending every opinion is worth hearing.
    So what about when it's your opinion?
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you are not right. My point was not to silence a conservative agenda, my point was Ben Shapiro is an idiot and brings nothing to the table, hence the "every opinion is worth hearing". I mean is he really the best that this university can come up with? How about we stop letting these snake oil salesmen have platforms?
    How does he not bring anything to the table when all he does is state facts about various topics?

Is it because you don't like the facts? Because it destroys your narrative about things? Does it hurt your feelings? Or is it because he raises his voice and is passionate about what he believes?

Since when are facts so frowned upon and all people want to hear is sensationalism?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    Unemployment has absolutely no bearing on his point... because employers would simply employ a non-millenial.

Hes saying that Employers are not employing Millenials for positions, the employer will still fill the vacancy with someone else right! lol

No, you are not right. My point was not to silence a conservative agenda, my point was Ben Shapiro is an idiot and brings nothing to the table, hence the "every opinion is worth hearing". I mean is he really the best that this university can come up with? How about we stop letting these snake oil salesmen have platforms?
    But this goes beyond Ben Shapiro and Milo, Condeleza Rice, Colin Powell, heck even Bill Maher are being prevent from speaking. Beyond the one individual snake oil salesman is a growing group of people all getting the same treatment, the pattern is whenever someone brings a diverse view onto campus, people go ape shit.

Comedians have stopped doing campus shows because it's just not worth the headache. I had just listened to an interview with Dave Coulier where he had in his act a true story about a friend of his, Bruce Jenner, and knowing about his desire to transition before hand..and then being protested as a homophobic ass after the show.

Political Correctness is slowly becoming more and more like McCarthyism, it is a growing segment that wishes to punish those with differing views, preventing them from those speaking gigs, petition to get their show canceled, etc... Not for actually harming anyone, but just having beliefs and ideas differing from their own, or god forbid, for telling a joke about something.

Know what happens when comics can't be provocative, the only comedian in the world be the safe ones, no more Lenny Bruces or George Carlins, no, they'll all be Carrot Top. That's not a world I would wish upon anyone.

Indeed. And finally, we will come to a place where only people that we agree with have platforms. And if someone starts to dissent, we can kick them off. All hail the echo chamber.

Now, I disagree with Shapiro on most things, and am not a conservative. However what you are essentially advocating is that people who you don't agree with can't get a platform, at universities at least. I think that is a bad way to see things. You are trying to silence a conservative agenda, don't try to dodge it by saying it is just Shapiro, and some other conservative would be fine, we both know you would claim the same for any conservative.

Now I don't agree with most conservative agendas. I want to see them challenged. I want to see their points picked apart. This will not achieve this. No platforming is folly, the tool of authoritarian cowards (left or right, doesn't matter who is doing it) in order to create an echo chamber and/or have no confidence in their own ideas, or their ability to argue for them (hence the coward comment).

And this is why Shapiro has a good record of ripping people apart in debates. I have watched him in debates, disagreed with him on what he is saying, but felt he still won.

It's actually very grounded in reality. As a former corporate recruiter, we used applicants Facebook and other social media postings to help screen applicants.

Companies don't want to hire whiners, professional victims, or anyone who could be a potential liability. If you're member of a college group which exists solely to complain about how bad life is and how it's someone els3s fault....well...good luck finding a decent job without some major connections.