Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    I don't know about Republicans (with a R) but republicans (little r) don't think men and women in service to our country should be put into harm's way and then hung out to dry.
    That's a fairly universal opinion held by anyone with a decent set of morals.

But I guess we have to ask if choosing to let American prisoners stay in Iran over $400 million qualifies as "hung out to dry". (That's what Republicans are alleging, anyway.)
    Eat yo vegetables

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You just paid your debt...
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You obviously have no clue what a strawman is
    Christ....A strawman occurs when I claim to refute an individuals argument, but all I've actually done is attack and refute an argument that was not put forward by said individual.

What I'm doing in this instance is attempting to draw a comparison between two separate situations.

It's not a strawman. Learn the proper usage please.

It seems like a perfectly valid comparison. Republicans open nine investigation when four Americans are killed in Benghazi. Republicans (at least some of them at present time), accuse the President of paying a ransom by rescuing four American prisoners held in Iran. The resemblance of four Americans in each situation is what I find striking.
    Eat yo vegetables

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post
    You just paid your debt...
    It´s fun watching americans fight each other over the cause for paying a 37 year old debt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    But it wasn't for the hostages, and it wasn't even in US dollars.
    It wasnt in US dollars because its against US law to transfer US dollars to Iran (also in the article but the OP left it out).

Quote Originally Posted by WSJ
    Iranian press reports have quoted senior Iranian defense officials describing the cash as a ransom payment. The Iranian foreign ministry didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The $400 million was paid in foreign currency because any transaction with Iran in U.S. dollars is illegal under U.S. law. Sanctions also complicate Tehran’s access to global banks.
    Thats what makes this all the more shady. So we supposedly owe Iran money and dont pay for 30 years, and just so happens we pay it while negotiating the release of prisoners. Nope, doesnt sound shady at all to the democrats

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    That's a fairly universal opinion held by anyone with a decent set of morals.

But I guess we have to ask if choosing to let American prisoners stay in Iran over $400 million qualifies as "hung out to dry". (That's what Republicans are alleging, anyway.)
    You're equating people that willingly entered a country on their own to those assigned duty in a foreign county with the presumed backing of the US Government? There is no comparison to these. One group is on their own, the other is an arm of the US Government and should be provided any and all necessary aid since it was their government that put them in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It wasnt in US dollars because its against US law to transfer US dollars to Iran (also in the article but the OP left it out).

Thats what makes this all the more shady. So we supposedly owe Iran money and dont pay for 30 years, and just so happens we pay it while negotiating the release of prisoners. Nope, doesnt sound shady at all to the democrats
    That's exactly what a negotiation is.They have something we want, we have something they want.

- - - Updated - - -

You're equating people that willingly entered a country on their own to those assigned duty in a foreign county with the presumed backing of the US Government? There is no comparison to these. One group is on their own, the other is an arm of the US Government and should be provided any and all necessary aid since it was their government that put them in that position.
    The people who went to Benghazi also did so willingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, we owed them money, and we paid them that money in cash to grease the wheels of those soldier's release?

I so don't fucking care.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    But I do find it interesting that four Americans died in Benghazi, and now Republicans (at least a few in Congress) seem to be making a big deal about a possible quid pro quo to rescue another four Americans in Iran.
    They should have been rescued through military might instead of ransom. All this does is let the Iranians know its ok to kidnap more Americans whenever they need more money

They should have been rescued through military might instead of ransom. All this does is let the Iranians know its ok to kidnap more Americans whenever they need more money
    We have Americans in prisons in most countries in the world, should we use military might against them all?

Christ....A strawman occurs when I claim to refute an individuals argument, but all I've actually done is attack and refute an argument that was not put forward by said individual.

What I'm doing in this instance is attempting to draw a comparison between two separate situations.

It's not a strawman. Learn the proper usage please.

It seems like a perfectly valid comparison. Republicans open nine investigation when four Americans are killed in Benghazi. Republicans (at least some of them at present time), accuse the President of paying a ransom by rescuing four American prisoners held in Iran. The resemblance of four Americans in each situation is what I find striking.
    ce: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

Full Definition of straw man

: a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted

: a person set up to serve as a cover for a usually questionable transaction

See straw man defined for English-language learners

Pretty much your BS argument from the start, I hope you learned something today. It is no way comparable, only a fool would think comparing a hostage situation to a non hostage situation is the same. I understand you are just trying to save face, but just stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    But it wasn't for the hostages, and it wasn't even in US dollars.
    It's illegal to send Iran U.S. dollars.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-sent...eed-1470181874

The $400 million was paid in foreign currency because any transaction with Iran in U.S. dollars is illegal under U.S. law.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Exactly, that's the main reason to not negotiate with terrorist. This isn't the first time Obama admin has done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's exactly what a negotiation is.They have something we want, we have something they want.

- - - Updated - - -

The people who went to Benghazi also did so willingly.
    Sure, "knowing" that they had the backing of their government. Little did they really know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    So, we owed them money, and we paid them that money in cash to grease the wheels of those soldier's release?

I so don't fucking care.
    Just so we're clear... You believe it was ransom but just don't care?

15+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, that's the main reason to not negotiate with terrorist. This isn't the first time Obama admin has done this.
    So the americans in question were kidnapped by terrorists?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    It's illegal to send Iran U.S. dollars.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-sent...eed-1470181874
    Thanks for the clarification.
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Deleted
    So they are paying debt, and also gets some prisoners with that deal? Seems pretty good?

Sure, "knowing" that they had the backing of their government. Little did they really know.

- - - Updated - - -

Just so we're clear... You believe it was ransom but just don't care?
    The folks who went to Benghazi got dicked over, no doubt about it. They should have never been there, because mixing a diplomatic mission with a clandestine CIA operation was a terrible call to make. It's a perfect representation of our government's bureaucracy, and how it fails the "little guys."

Deleted
    Pathetic.

As expected from the current adminstration.

Since the article was going for click bait misleading title they should have went with $1.7 billion dollar bribe to Iran.