Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

The Broken Isles Looks To Be Smaller Than Pandaria. How Does It Feel?

I'm concerned about the size of the map for Legion. It doesn't look like there will be as much to do in the world due to the smaller size of the map. Does it feel larger than it actually is?

Deleted
    People say that it feels really huge, but i remain unconvinced.

7+ Year Old Account
    It absolutely does not feel smaller to me than the Pandaria map. The map is chock full of interesting things - not much barren space - and the art and design is simply stunning.

I've heard that the space is well-used, especially in Highmountain where there's a lot of verticality.

Draenor had a lot of dead spaces, either restricted to level 100 only or actually just empty/unused. With scaling mobs they no longer have to "reserve" areas for max level, so you longer need those dead spaces.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels quite nice, as chrth mentioned Highmountain may not feel like a big zone immediately, but you are doing a lot of climbing up and down the mountain and there are many caves and tops of mountains that you will be exploring as you work your way up and down the zone. I got to the top of the mountain, looked down, and I kid you not it feels like the highest point I've ever been on in Azeroth. Things look ridiculously tiny once you are at the top. This may just be due to the increased view distance I admit, but it feels great.

The other zones don't have quite the sense of vertical movement, but there is still a lot to explore. Legion puts a lot of stuff into the space you are exploring. Azsuna doesn't really have you move too far away from the origin point into the zone, but you are quickly funneled into many different environments. Crumbling ruins, fel touched landscapes, sunken landscapes, magical caverns, and unearthed ley-lines. Everything just flows into each other quickly...there is very little in terms of empty space. Everything has a purpose in the zones whether it is because it houses a key story plotline, or a rare enemy sitting behind a bunch of minions, or possibly the area is dedicated to side quests. There is nothing like with Frostfire in WoD where you will have large open areas of just snow. Everything is packed together here.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    It is large with many things to do within it. Unlike pandaria which had vast spans of pointless land, most of all the space in legion is used for one thing or another whether it be questing, world quests, pvp stuff, whatever your cup of tea is. After being on legion for about 9 months now it honestly seems great and may contend with my favorite expansion (wrath - didn't play seriously during bc to like it much), and with there being three raid tiers and plenty of content to come, I am currently completely satisfied. Pandaria does not stand close to it imo. Gotta get that immersion through actual content and not entirely pretty flowers in a field and a brewery in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I've heard that the space is well-used, especially in Highmountain where there's a lot of verticality.

Draenor had a lot of dead spaces, either restricted to level 100 only or actually just empty/unused. With scaling mobs they no longer have to "reserve" areas for max level, so you longer need those dead spaces.
    Which shouldn't be an excuse to make smaller continents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    I got to the top of the mountain, looked down, and I kid you not it feels like the highest point I've ever been on in Azeroth.
    Is it higher than Mount Neverest in Panderia?

10+ Year Old Account
    it feels smaller than pandaria for sure but map is better designed

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post

There's absolutely nothing wrong with dead spaces. Having features next to each other like a row of townhouses is actually even less preferable (Pandaria has this in certain places)

Quote Originally Posted by Quaght View Post
    I'm concerned about the size of the map for Legion. It doesn't look like there will be as much to do in the world due to the smaller size of the map. Does it feel larger than it actually is?
    Of course it "feels" larger - we are confined to the ground! Imagine how big Rhode Island would feel if you were forced to walk everywhere instead of drive. In all seriousness though, the size of the map is irrelevant to me as the zones are all beautiful.

After playing it, leveling through it many times, it's feels pretty big. Mostly because there are mountains and valleys and even zones within zones. Overall the zones are pretty big compared to how they look on the minimap.

As of now, with suramar city being one of the biggest now I've seen in WOW for a while now, they're not small.

Highmountain looks again, check it out. You'll be surprised. The music is amazing, the zone looks great. And..well...you'll feel as though...vanilla 2.0 just happened. beautiful, amazing, calm...and adventurous.

Val'sharah is the same...but with a forest and old goddish feel to it.

Stormheim would be like if howeling fjord, grizzly hills, storm peaks, autumn, and...scottland in general had a child. It's amazing, and badass, titanic, cosmic...and just damn exciting.

Azsuna is cool...and dark...just nice.

Suramar is like Eversong woods, talador, ghostlands, felwood, and SMV if they fused together. The forests have the eversong, and talador feels with it, along with some SMV feels with the blue and all. The theme and the story resembles both Ghostlands and felwood...but with more....WOW in the story..and all that. And lastly, the city had both a SMV nightfall feel, along with that sunwell Night elven ideal...it's quite beautiful. (When I was using my highbourne thing in Suramar city, i went on one of the boats in the rivers of Suramar city, and...it was BEAUTIFUL! The city is amazing.

It feels good imo. More than in any expansion yet I actually liked exploring just for the sake of it. A lot of it looks gorgeous. Suramar is pretty huge too. There's actually a main hub where you set up portals to different parts of the zone to move around faster(but you have to go there to unlock them first).

Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    Meh, it's like comparing Skyrim to Witcher 3, one is all about quantity and the other is all about quality. I'd rather have content with some substance than just a whole bunch of space to explore with nothing in it just for the sake of large continents.

Technically, Draenor had one less zone since the starter zones were faction exclusive. That alone makes the whole place 'smaller', considering your leveling experience was funneled into fewer zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    I was worried about the size of the continent until I played it on beta. The fact that none of the zones are low level zones you won't visit again makes a big different in the feel to the continent. You'll be reusing all areas of the zones over and over for world quests. It makes the world feel quite good.

Is it higher than Mount Neverest in Panderia?
    Dunno about the height but if i recall correctly you can see all the way down to Suramar at sea level from the top of the mountain... it just screams "glide down me" any time I was up there.

I've only played through Aszuna because I didn't want spoil anything more (I didn't mean to do the whole zone it just sorta...happened and I couldn't stop myself) but the biggest thing is the variety in the each zone. Aszuna alone has something like 5 or 6 different mini zones which really breaks the monotony of the same "biome feel" you get in say a Frostfire Ridge or whatever that first jungle zone in MOP was called.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    As of now, with suramar city being one of the biggest now I've seen in WOW for a while now, they're not small.

Highmountain looks again, check it out. You'll be surprised. The music is amazing, the zone looks great. And..well...you'll feel as though...vanilla 2.0 just happened. beautiful, amazing, calm...and adventurous.

Val'sharah is the same...but with a forest and old goddish feel to it.

Stormheim would be like if howeling fjord, grizzly hills, storm peaks, autumn, and...scottland in general had a child. It's amazing, and badass, titanic, cosmic...and just damn exciting.

Azsuna is cool...and dark...just nice.

Suramar is like Eversong woods, talador, ghostlands, felwood, and SMV if they fused together. The forests have the eversong, and talador feels with it, along with some SMV feels with the blue and all. The theme and the story resembles both Ghostlands and felwood...but with more....WOW in the story..and all that. And lastly, the city had both a SMV nightfall feel, along with that sunwell Night elven ideal...it's quite beautiful. (When I was using my highbourne thing in Suramar city, i went on one of the boats in the rivers of Suramar city, and...it was BEAUTIFUL! The city is amazing.
    As soon as you said vanilla 2.0, the rest of your post was negated.
    You may feel as if the rest of your post is accurate, but sadly, Legion is meh.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    As soon as you said vanilla 2.0, the rest of your post was negated.
    You may feel as if the rest of your post is accurate, but sadly, Legion is meh.
    Sounds like you're just tired of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Maoli View Post
    Sounds like you're just tired of WoW.
    On the contrary, dear friend.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.