Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Thanks, I'm Belgian though.
    Its lucky you arent Irish or you might get rounded up and shot.... in your universe anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    People that would blow themselves up for their religion probably don't give a shit about the death penalty.

All it does is encourage other weak willed individuals to think "Oh, they killed one of my 'brothers' I'll go and kill a bunch of people for revenge."

It's either damage control, or prevention. We know that killing people doesn't stop murders from happening, and killing terrorists will only turn them into martyrs, lock them up.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2016-08-03 at 03:03 PM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitre27 View Post
    Kill them and they're martyrs, don't kill them and let them convert more people?

The western world is too soft to win the war on terrorism.
    If you are afraid of that just keep them in isolation, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhatman View Post
    I guess if you feel okay with humans killing other humans which is what the death penalty is.
    We get it, you're a saint. Would you like a cathedral built in your honor?
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

10+ Year Old Account
    There is also such a thing as "deserve" being a moral category, and morals, by their nature, are subjective. I don't think anyone "deserves" death, personally, but someone else might disagree.

When forming our laws, we should be concerned not with what is "moral", but, rather, what is practical. And killing a person already in custody is totally impractical. It is just as silly as killing a war prisoner, it has no purpose, no function, other than "He was mean to us, we should be mean to him to!!! Primal 'justice' FTW!!!".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Prison is fairly effective at preventing further losses from said individual.

I don't care about the feelings of the victims' relatives. The entire point of the justice system as we have set it up is to prevent them from distorting justice with their feelings. Make no mistake about it: finding comfort in capital punishment reflects emotional immaturity and it is a flaw that is to be corrected, not inflicted on others and catered to.
    How dare you claim emotional immaturity when you are incapable of feeling something as basic as compasion towards the victims.
    The fact that we still have terrorism is good enough proof that prison is not effective enough.
    Also it's about costs. Do you really think tax payers are comfortable with financing welfare for someone who had no regard towards someone else life?

You dont care about them as well do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    How dare you claim emotional immaturity when you are incapable of feeling something as basic as compasion towards the victims.
    The fact that we still have terrorism is good enough proof that prison is not effective enough.
    Also it's about costs. Do you really think tax payers are comfortable with financing welfare for someone who had no regard towards someone else life?

You dont care about them as well do you?
    Terrorism is thriving exactly in the countries with the harshest penalties, including death penalty. Those same countries export terrorists outside as well.

If you care about the victims, then you need to advocate for a system that works well at reducing the number of those victims, and death penalty doesn't serve that purpose.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

I'm not especially thrilled at the idea that my taxes might be spent on maintaining a nice and comfy prison room for some fanatic who failed to go through with his "ultimate plan".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Terrorism is thriving exactly in the countries with the harshest penalties, including death penalty. Those same countries export terrorists outside as well.

If you care about the victims, then you need to advocate for a system that works well at reducing the number of those victims, and death penalty doesn't serve that purpose.
    Causation =/= Corelation.

Terrorism is not an issue but a feature of humanity. Death penalty is not intended to fix it, not that there's anything to fix in the first place. It's there to discourage those who think it's a good idea. You cant discourage those who are encouraged with supposed afterlife that requires their death. You're dealing with medival creeps who are brainwashed into suicide with as many of their supposed "enemies" or "allies of their enemies" as its possible. That's like trying to rehabilitate a explosive which those creeps effectively are.

"If you kill your enemies, you aren't civilized"
    "If you force your enemies into slavery, you aren't civilized"
    "If you torture your enemies, you aren't civilized"
    "If you condemn your enemies to life in prison, you aren't civilized"
    "If you attempt to indoctrinate the culture your enemies come from, you aren't civilized"

So what the hell does a civilized society do to their enemies? Ignore them?

Deleted
    The death penalty's supposed deterrent effect is at best debatable. Making punishments stricter isn't exactly going to stop a suicide bomber–they've already committed to dying–and the problem of terrorism is far, far more complex than some silly single minded approach of thinking the answer is just to be harsher towards them. If anything, you'd likely just fuel their recruitment by proving to be the monster they claim you to be.
    Terrorism is not an issue but a feature of humanity. Death penalty is not intended to fix it, not that there's anything to fix in the first place. It's there to discourage those who think it's a good idea. You cant discourage those who are encouraged with supposed afterlife that requires their death. You're dealing with medival creeps who are brainwashed into suicide with as many of their supposed "enemies" or "allies of their enemies" as its possible. That's like trying to rehabilitate a explosive which those creeps effectively are.

Prison is not very expensive in the grand scheme of things and very little of the taxpayer's money goes to corrections. Ignoring that the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison, since I don't know if it's the same when dealing when foreign combatants, it's unlikely to make a significant difference one way or the other.
    You're gonna have a hard time proving to me that a $1 bullet to the head is more expensive that meals, accomadation, therapist time and effort for XX number of days untill said terrorist is good to be set free.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Yes i would.

in WAR i would go and fight.

But this isnt a question about war *facepalm*

Its a question of civilians going through a legal process and being sentenced to death. Now do u want to discuss that instead of something irrelevant?
    Since what to do with captured terrorist suspects has become an issue with the United States, under Barack Obama there is a clear focus on prioritizing killing suspects over attempting capture. What do you think of this policy of killing suspects without even having a trial?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

They deserve worse. The death penalty is pretty damn humane today, these guys ought to be fed feet-first into woodchippers.

Deleted
    Terrorism is most certainly an issue. If not terrorism in and of itself, the unrest that fuels it. That you can't see how the death penalty is a meaningless deterrent to people who so firmly believe in a better afterlife is both sad and disconcerting.
    One more time: Death penalty is not intended to fix it.

Also, people greatly overuse the term "brainwashing" and basically use it to mean "They don't think like I do." Contrary to popular belief, you can bring people around to your way of thinking. They aren't magically resistant to change due to "brainwashing." It won't work for every individual and not immediately, but it can be done and it will happen.
    You have the burden of proof that cost/benefit analysis is in your favor. Otherwise you spew naive idealism.

And the cost of the death penalty under normal circumstances generally includes trials, appeals, etc. Your $1 bullet is an unjustifiable oversimplification of the cost involved that would suggest you are unreasonably ignorant on this topic.
    Rehabilitation also includes trials, appeals etc. It'll take same amount of resources for judge to swing his hammer to claim guilty/not guilty and all processes that come with it. It's the execution of plan is where the saving come in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Causation =/= Corelation.

It is more than random correlation. Countries with harsh systems of justice inherently promote violence in the society, and - what a surprise - the society becomes more violent, including more terrorists in it. You are dealing with people you are describing exactly because the society fails to address the issues causing them to rise, and one of these issues is the inherently violent traits in societies built around violent governments.

It is not just about rehabilitation one terrorist. It is about rehabilitation of the whole society.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by badzerath View Post
    Is that supposed to be intelligent?

I burst out laughing and I'm not sure what is funnier, that he actually said that or that people like you would link that picture as a half-assed attempt to make a point.

Anyway, thanks. I got a REALLY good laugh out of that.

Remember guys, anyone you loved who has been murdered - "they won". Thanks Canada. Holy shit what a joke.
    hey i have a great one for you

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    If you are afraid of that just keep them in isolation, problem solved.
    Hasn't Europe said that's against human rights also?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20160731_02406873

So this Belgian attorney got alot of shit for stating terrorists deserve the death penalty. Even when only caught preparing a terrorist attack.
    His logic is that these brainwashed fanatics solely exist to cause harm to society. Be it in the form of a suicide bombing, excecuting people in the streets etc. Releasing them = innocent people die.

Now with the retarded "justice system" we have in Europe, im kinda with him. In Holland for example, the first Jihadi's, whom are still fighting with IS in syria (or killed? they dont know) are senteced to 6 years in prison (thats 4 with good behaviour) IF they ever come back. Thats 4 years for possession of weapons, killing, rapeing, mimeing, torturing and worse.

TLDR: The current European justice system (focused on rehabilitating) is not fit for atrocities like terrorism and should therfore be revisited. Perhaps by reinstating the death penalty.

How do you feel about this?
    i feel that death penalty do jack shit to peoples who are ready to die in a kamikaze attack, on the other hand arresting radicalized peoples and deporting them away in the same fashion of how Guantanamo worked but on a much larger scale will do the job.
    Also allowing the secret service to kill those who foot the terrorism bill is another thing on the "to do" list.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitre27 View Post
    Hasn't Europe said that's against human rights also?
    Don't think so, and even if they have you would have an easier time getting them to allow isolation than reinstating the death penalty.

The point is that there is no reason to use the death penalty when you can just lock them up for the rest of their lives. You don't even save the taxpayers money by having the death penalty. In the US it's actually cheaper to keep someone lock up for their entire life than it is to go through all the steps necessary before you can execute someone. The only argument for the death penalty is one based on revenge, and that's not a valid one.
    Last edited by zephid; 2016-08-03 at 11:15 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Death to terrorists. 100%.