Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    My primary problem with the death penalty is how cost inefficient it has been made over the years.

If you're going to kill a prisoner then take them out back to the range.

Anyway, as for the morality of capital punishment, it really depends on a case-by-case basis. Is the person simply incapable of coexisting with others in society, and there is no hope for rehabilitation? Then I don't have much of a problem with making an end of it.

Why waste so much money on supporting serial/spree killers and terrorists who just want everyone around them dead?

This is why I always found Batman to be completely fallible in his "no killing" approach. Because he lets the Joker among others live, he must take responsibility for all the death and mayhem they wreak. And don't give me the "if he kills them then he'll be no better" excuse. Does that hold up against the countless innocents dying because of inaction?

Of course, that is an extreme fictional example. We don't have Jokers, but there are still people completely incapable of living in modern society just as him. And while it is unfortunate in how they're wired that way, it isn't an excuse, and I find it to be completely lacking in respect for the victims who must see these monsters be given chance after chance.
    Funny thing, there is an arc where batman kills the joker, this tips him over the edge and gotham gets even worse. Now, with that being said, they dont need to have another chance, they can be locked away for good.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

They deserve to die slowly by torture.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would also argue that killing they might fuel the terrorist machine even further, as people might see the executed as a martyr, that might get more followers for their causes. Denying him a death though, denies him and his followers that honor.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Considering it wouldn't actually deter Islamist terrorists but would cede any pretence we have of a superior culture by falling to barbarism I gotta disagree. It's funny that most of the posters advocating for it are the first ones to turn up in a thread and say "Your feelings don't matter!" when all that Death Penalties achieve is sating peoples need for vengeance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is more than random correlation. Countries with harsh systems of justice inherently promote violence in the society, and - what a surprise - the society becomes more violent, including more terrorists in it. You are dealing with people you are describing exactly because the society fails to address the issues causing them to rise, and one of these issues is the inherently violent traits in societies built around violent governments.

It is not just about rehabilitation one terrorist. It is about rehabilitation of the whole society.
    There's nothing to rehabilitate. The answer to all this is simple. Dont be terrorist.
    Western society does not endorse or promote violence in any way, shape or form.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That's not going to happen for the same reasons you said it can't fix it. So why are you actually doing it? It's not going to discourage anyone. Right, it's just about feelings and revenge, the antithesis of justice.
    It's going to discourage those people who are on the border of losing their reason and make them quickly regain in.
    The premise is simple: "Should I go blow myself up for one of this world's fading religion just like many before it for some vague promise of afterlife that has yet to be prove without a shadow of a doubt? Or should I remain a decent citizen and enjoy the 1st world my ancestors fought tooth and nail for?

Hopelessly ignorant. You don't even know basic facts relevant to the issue, yet you think you have any business having an opinion on it?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29552692/n.../#.V6IwmKL-XhU
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/27...e-budgets.html
    http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/i...h-penalty-cost
    Last time I checked world was not made only of US. What can hypothethically work there is not neccesarly something that will work anywhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    There's nothing to rehabilitate. The answer to all this is simple. Dont be terrorist.
    Western society does not endorse or promote violence in any way, shape or form.
    Fighting violence with violence breeds more violence, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

It's going to discourage those people who are on the border of losing their reason and make them quickly regain in.
    The premise is simple: "Should I go blow myself up for one of this world's fading religion just like many before it for some vague promise of afterlife that has yet to be prove without a shadow of a doubt? Or should I remain a decent citizen and enjoy the 1st world my ancestors fought tooth and nail for?
    So if I'm about to go full Jihadi and blow myself up then I will be deterred from this by a death penalty? I don't think you're thinking this through lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Fighting violence with violence breeds more violence, my friend.
    Executions are not violence. They are justice.
    Killing someone dangeous in faith to prevent said someone from doing more harm holds no maiice.
    It's like dismantling an explosive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    So if I'm about to go full Jihadi and blow myself up then I will be deterred from this by a death penalty? I don't think you're thinking this through lol.
    Dont be so obtuse. Blowing yourself up is not the only way to terrorize people.

- - - Updated - - -

You are still insisting that somehow, someway, the death penalty will deter someone from blowing themself up. There is no rational basis for your claim in the garbage you keep repeating. Where's your proof that this is how it works? It fails even basic reasoning.
    Terrorist terrorize in more way then just blowing themselves up you know.

I mean, do you expect me to go find proof of this for every last country on the face of the planet? I'm not especially interested in the rest of the world on this issue, since I have little control over what they do.
    Terrorism is an international thing. You're discussing it on a international forum. What did you expect?

The moral implications aside, there are many, it is far more costly to execute a criminal under the American Justice system than it is to incarcerate them for life. The lengthy appeals process can drag on for years and ties up courts. Just lock them up and throw away the key. Death is the easy way out for most of these people anyways.

Anders Behring Breivik does. He's the one who kiiled 85 kids in Norway. Every time he makes the news it puts the families of those dead kids through hell. Executing him would give the families some peace of mind.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Dont be so obtuse. Blowing yourself up is not the only way to terrorize people.
    It's the form primarily practised by Islamists. We didn't kill people in the IRA when American's such as Donald Trump thought of terrorists as "freedom fighters" and threw money at them but we still won that one in the end without resorting to barbarism.

Deleted
    I want your proof that it is an effective deterrent and I want it now or as far as I'm concerned you're just wasting my time with your inanity.
    I cant prove that without a shadow of a doubt. But neither can you do the same to disprove it.

That realistically it's probably the same in any Western nation with appropriate safeguards against wrongful executions.
    Probably NOT. Countries are entirely different in every regard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If a political name means more to you then the crime they committed then what is the worth of your justice system?

Terrorist goes out and shots a random person.
    Thief goes out and shots a random person.
    Drug dealer goes out a shots a random person.
    Average person gets mad and goes out and shots a random person.

What is the difference in those crimes other then the designations given to each of the shooters?

Define Terrorist, term is slung around for anything and everything in recent times.

Deleted
    It's the form primarily practised by Islamists. We didn't kill people in the IRA when American's such as Donald Trump thought of terrorists as "freedom fighters" and threw money at them but we still won that one in the end without resorting to barbarism.
    I dont think you can call it a victory since terrorism is still around and affect us to this day.

I totally agree the European "justice" is absolutely fucking retarded. Even I have a relative that killed her husband, did about 10 years in prison, got out, then killed her boyfriend lol. European men are long gone, transformed into fucking pansies.

On the other hand, the death penalty in US is also retarded, keeping someone for 20 years before the actual execution is laughable. Now I really like the Chinese though

Removing killers from society is not barbarism, is just cleaning up. Those merciful idiots should try to put themselves in the place of someone who's being shot while drinking a coffee. The barbarians here are the terrorists and you can't fight the barbarians by throwing pansies at them. They will just be like "oh, look, a pansy, now I kill you"

I dont think you can call it a victory since terrorism is still around and affect us to this day.
    The IRA no longer sets off devices of terror in the UK anymore. Yes that's a win.

Deleted
    In the future, if all you have are your feelings, don't even bother responding to me.
    I dont think you're in any position to tell me what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

The IRA no longer sets off devices of terror in the UK anymore. Yes that's a win.
    Fair enough but I doubt you can expect same results from a culture that is fundamentaly different from our own.

Fair enough but I doubt you can expect same results from a culture that is fundamentaly different from our own.
    A culture that has absolutely no respect for life, including their own. The Death Penalty in this case achieves nothing. Hell it's effects amongst people that aren't zealots of a death cult are debatable at best too.

Deleted
    A culture that has absolutely no respect for life, including their own. The Death Penalty in this case achieves nothing.
    Like I said many times Death penalty is not there to fix it. It's there to discourage our own from attempting to do the same.