Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Liquid cooling really NEEDED?

So, long story short, I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU to this:

-CLICKY-

Here is my current CPU cooler.

Just curious if I really need liquid cooling, or if my Silver Arrow will be enough to handle the job.

Thanks in advanced!

Stock cooler sucks. I have a H100 or h100i on a 8150. Trust me you need it. Do not go air. You should also OC aswell

Deleted
    you do not NEED a liquid Cooler
    you never do

The only time you need a Liquid cooler is if you're going to OC a bunch.

it's possible to get a Fan Cooler that works just aswell as a liquid in many cases and also for slight OC.
    My Noctua NH-D15 comes to mind, but it's a bit of a beast in size.

Quote Originally Posted by shinji204 View Post
    Stock cooler sucks. I have a H100 or h100i on a 8150. Trust me you need it. Do not go air. You should also OC aswell
    Funny because that wasn't an AMD stock cooler OP linked.

That is the most recent AMD stock cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by shinji204 View Post
    Good air coolers are on par with the best AIO liquid coolers so what's your point? You don't NEED a liquid cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukkaroinen View Post
    Good air coolers are on par with the best AIO liquid coolers so what's your point? You don't NEED a liquid cooler.
    Also tbh that processor the OP linked seems overkill. Just get a 6 core FX tbh and throw a 212 evo in there.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    My Noctua NH-D15 comes to mind, but it's a bit of a beast in size.
    But it's a beast of a cooler. I have one as well, and I love it. The fans never go above 800RPM for me, even when gaming. The thermal paste it comes with is very good as well.

Edit: To OP, just use an air cooler and you don't need to worry about heating bills XD
    Last edited by Tommi; 2016-08-04 at 02:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Funny because that wasn't an AMD stock cooler OP linked.

That is the most recent AMD stock cooler.
    looks much better than the small cylinder stock fan you get with intel.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I get Zen or whatever AM4 Athlon that comes before it, I'll be using their newest stock cooler. Its pretty damn good and saves me $40/$50 for an equivalent cooler that does the exact same job.

Its also a helluva lot more quieter. My best bud uses the Wraith cooler that came with his FX 8350 and it cools that just fine.
    Last edited by Usagi Senshi; 2016-08-04 at 01:37 PM.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    But it's a beast of a cooler. I have one as well, and I love it. The fans never go above 800RPM for me, even when gaming. The thermal paste it comes with is very good as well.
    I have it too. Benchmarks show it's pretty much a negligible difference in cooling between it and liquid.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

The 9590 is a beast. AMD advertised it some kits a while back coupled with a watercooler. It is factory overclocked to 4.7 it has outrageous temps with a TDP of 225w.

TO tame such a beast you need a watercooler. The Noctua Air solutions are really good but the higher end ones cost as much or more than some watercooling solutions.

However more importantly why buy a 9590?

If you have an 8320/8350/8370 overclocked it is essentially a 9590. 9590 FX is the same 32nm architecture used in every FX processor. In my opinion a 9590 isn't good enough to justify it's cost + cost of the cooling solution. If your riding out the AM3+ socket an 8320+ overclocked is more than adequate for most games.

You would be better served waiting for Zen or switching to an intel cpu.
    Last edited by Packing an i5; 2016-08-04 at 01:36 PM.

The Skylake stock coolers are actually quite good. Haswell ones are too they are just noisy. Wraith however is such an improvement over the old AMD coolers. They kept the cpu cool the old ones but they were like a jet engine.

I got a evo212 air cooler for £20, currently reporting as 20c with a max of 31 recorded. It is only an fx 6300 but the cooler is silent and solid. It is within a few c of the H80 in terms of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    The Skylake stock coolers are actually quite good. Haswell ones are too they are just noisy. Wraith however is such an improvement over the old AMD coolers. They kept the cpu cool the old ones but they were like a jet engine.
    Got me my jet engine pc runs like a beast. I have the H100I I also run a 6700k overclocked sometimes, ended up being a good investment for me if noise isn't an issue and if you're too lazy to do a custom loop. But yeah stock cooler is fine with the non "k" cpus, AMD cpus push it a bit depending on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    I got a evo212 air cooler for £20, currently reporting as 20c with a max of 31 recorded. It is only an fx 6300 but the cooler is silent and solid. It is within a few c of the H80 in terms of performance.
    Mine on load is 30-40 when playing intense games and other stuff. 212 Evo is arguably one of the best aftermarket coolers out there.

Noctua NH-D14 and 15 are far better than low-mid liquid cooling and are more than enough for reasonable OC

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Got me my jet engine pc runs like a beast. I have the H100I I also run a 6700k overclocked sometimes, ended up being a good investment for me if noise isn't an issue and if you're too lazy to do a custom loop. But yeah stock cooler is fine with the non "k" cpus, AMD cpus push it a bit depending on the line.
    The Wraith is amazing actually. Only the older stock ones are shite.

Generally speaking you do not need liquid cooling or aftermarket CPU coolers, those are enthusiast items usually associated with overclocking or bleeding edge rigs. But if you enjoy that stuff, go right ahead.

However I'm not very familiar with AMD so I don't know why newegg is listing "liquid cooling required".

I suppose "better" is subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Generally speaking you do not need liquid cooling or aftermarket CPU coolers, those are enthusiast items usually associated with overclocking or bleeding edge rigs. But if you enjoy that stuff, go right ahead.

However I'm not very familiar with AMD so I don't know why newegg is listing "liquid cooling required".

I suppose "better" is subjective.
    Wraith is definitely better than the Haswell or previous gen stock coolers that is for sure. I'd say that and the Skylake one are on par both noise and performance wise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So, long story short, I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU to this:

-CLICKY-

Here is my current CPU cooler.

Just curious if I really need liquid cooling, or if my Silver Arrow will be enough to handle the job.

Thanks in advanced!
    You don't need a liquid cooler unless you plan to overclock.
    You don't need to overclock, ever. It's a hobby for nerdist dickswingers who like posting numbers on the Internet. It has practically zero perceivable performance increases unless you enjoy playing games with a framerate counter on-screen or enjoy timing how long it takes your rig to compress a file with a stopwatch.

So no, you don't need a liquid cooler.