Page 8 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Prepatch Raiding] Demonology discussion

Not's guide is very nice and all, but it focuses on lvl 110. What should I go for if I want to maximize DPS in prepatch raids? I have 4pc and archi trinket. Should I just try to spam imps as much as possible or are dreadstalkers the way to go?

Also, in mythic dungeons and the like I miss the burst that destruction provided, on many bosses I can't even really ramp up the damage before the die, what would be the best way to go about bursting down bosses in mythic dungeons?

Does anyone else notice that Thal'kiel's Consumption is now scaling with haste and no longer a flat 2 second cast. To me this is a big buff which means that we can get it off faster before our pets disappear which happened a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by murdax View Post
    Does anyone else notice that Thal'kiel's Consumption is now scaling with haste and no longer a flat 2 second cast. To me this is a big buff which means that we can get it off faster before our pets disappear which happened a lot to me.
    It certainly is a good change. It was like that in previous Beta builds and made for much better gameplay. Will update that for sure, thanks for noticing it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by youRFate View Post
    Not's guide is very nice and all, but it focuses on lvl 110. What should I go for if I want to maximize DPS in prepatch raids? I have 4pc and archi trinket. Should I just try to spam imps as much as possible or are dreadstalkers the way to go?

Also, in mythic dungeons and the like I miss the burst that destruction provided, on many bosses I can't even really ramp up the damage before the die, what would be the best way to go about bursting down bosses in mythic dungeons?
    It's covered in the FAQ section of my guide here;

Q: What is all this chatter about Demonology being OPOpie in pre-patch?
    A: Currently with the way the T18 4P bonus works you can get some really great numbers by gaming how many Wild Imps you are getting/how many casts they are getting by stacking Haste and ignoring Call Dreadstalkers as an ability entirely. Essentially you use Fragment of the Dark Stars (class trinket) and basically any other trinket (some that are good; Chipped Soul Prism, Sandman's Pouch, Iron Reaver Piston, Fleshrender's Meathook then any other trinket that is MWF and/or Socket) and you cast til 1 Soul Shard, cast Hand of Gul'dan and fish for 4P procs and then proceed to buff all your Wild Imps and 4P procs with Demonic Empowerment. In addition for every Shadow Bolt (or Demonbolt) you cast you gain a stacking buff which further increases demon damage.
    TL;DR The rotation is 3 buttons over and over: Shadow Bolt/Demonbolt > Hand of Gul'dan > Demonic Empowerment.

Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Right which is why comboing Demon summons is beneficial. HoG into Dreadstalkers.....DG and GoServ, HoG to Darkglare, Dreadstalker to Darkglare, etc...any time you can combo 2 summons together then DE is huge.
    Is there a cap on how many you want to combo? ideally you want to get all of them with 1 DE but practically the first summon will be missing out on DE uptime, would you say that a global is the longest you would want to delay DE?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Is there a cap on how many you want to combo? ideally you want to get all of them with 1 DE but practically the first summon will be missing out on DE uptime, would you say that a global is the longest you would want to delay DE?
    2 successive casts, I'd say. Any more and you left your Demons without DE too long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    It certainly is a good change. It was like that in previous Beta builds and made for much better gameplay. Will update that for sure, thanks for noticing it!

- - - Updated - - -

It's covered in the FAQ section of my guide here;

Q: What is all this chatter about Demonology being OPOpie in pre-patch?
    A: Currently with the way the T18 4P bonus works you can get some really great numbers by gaming how many Wild Imps you are getting/how many casts they are getting by stacking Haste and ignoring Call Dreadstalkers as an ability entirely. Essentially you use Fragment of the Dark Stars (class trinket) and basically any other trinket (some that are good; Chipped Soul Prism, Sandman's Pouch, Iron Reaver Piston, Fleshrender's Meathook then any other trinket that is MWF and/or Socket) and you cast til 1 Soul Shard, cast Hand of Gul'dan and fish for 4P procs and then proceed to buff all your Wild Imps and 4P procs with Demonic Empowerment. In addition for every Shadow Bolt (or Demonbolt) you cast you gain a stacking buff which further increases demon damage.
    TL;DR The rotation is 3 buttons over and over: Shadow Bolt/Demonbolt > Hand of Gul'dan > Demonic Empowerment.
    Right, but wich talent build would you use with that rotation? Right now that is worse for me than using the single target build and rotation not posted.

Quote Originally Posted by youRFate View Post
    Right, but wich talent build would you use with that rotation? Right now that is worse for me than using the single target build and rotation not posted.
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/w...emonology/MGpM

I'll include it in the FAQ now as well.

Any suggestions on questing in Legion as Demonology? I feel like currently Demo is really slow at killing stuff and I don't know if it's just me or the spec itself, so I feel like I need to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Frimelda View Post
    Any suggestions on questing in Legion as Demonology? I feel like currently Demo is really slow at killing stuff and I don't know if it's just me or the spec itself, so I feel like I need to ask.
    If you are starting to kill things there is a bit of a ramp up but once you get the demon train rolling it is "Chu Chu Mother F'r!"

Play Implosion .

Deleted
    Implosion paired with Demonwrath spam is all you need. Splat.

Since Doom gives a shard when it deals damage, what happens if we get Hand Of Doom talent? The dot is refreshed? If so, we might never see it tick for damage since it resets the duration?
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayaleith View Post
    Since Doom gives a shard when it deals damage, what happens if we get Hand Of Doom talent? The dot is refreshed? If so, we might never see it tick for damage since it resets the duration?
    It adds to the duration the same as refreshing Doom before it falls off. In theory you will lose out on a cast of doom if you have it refreshed too son, but it really isn't something you will come across in practical gameplay. For example two casts of Doom on a target dummy gets you 19 seconds duration and two ticks of damage. A third cast just resets it to 19.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

any idea on what trinkets are going to be BIS preraid? How good are the DMF and Alch trinkets going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by SpamHealzu View Post
    any idea on what trinkets are going to be BIS preraid? How good are the DMF and Alch trinkets going to be?
    No clue yet, Sims are TBD still! Soon as they are good to go, I'll put out the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Clonan View Post
    Implosion paired with Demonwrath spam is all you need. Splat.
    I would have though the beholder was nice for dungeons and lvling. is the dmg lackluster?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wooters View Post
    I would have though the beholder was nice for dungeons and lvling. is the dmg lackluster?
    It is good. I just find it unnecessary for leveling and prefer just to spend every shard on HoG to get a nasty implosion off asap.

it only consume 1 shard and it comes off cd every 24sec? id say its well worth tailor made actually

Spam dooms on 4-8 targets, pop darkglare and empower. If not dead, demonwrath -> HoG -> Implosion.

Demo does really well with big pulls, so dont be afraid to pull big and remember to pop CDs (grimoire + infernal).

Great guide, thanks for writing it. I've been a life long affliction lock so I'm leaning towards that again in Legion, but this version of demo is my favorite so far and I would love to spec it for Legion. I'm not cutting edge, but as a DPS I want to make sure I'm bringing value to the fights.

There's a lot of talks that demo is in a terrible place in Legion across all dps aspects (single, aoe, target switching, mobility). Is that an accurate statement or are people over-reacting? Is it a bad idea to main spec demo?