Exclamation What should i upgrade? (Dell XPS M1530)

Hello guys! i wont sugar coat this but i have basically no knowledge when it comes to this, therefore i realy want to try and change some components for the first time...
    I am mostly running Wow with good graphics and a load of other programs in the back.
    Firstly my pc is roughly 3 years old but is still working fine, it is a Dell XPS M1530 and this is it's specs;
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 2 Cores.
    4GB RAM
    32-bit OS
    (If you need any more information please leave a comment and il get on it.)

Some websites have suggested upgrading the Memory & SSD which will cost roughly 150USD where i live, now i am more interested in what i should (and can since this model is rather limited i've heard) upgrade for nothing insanely more than this price.

Thanks on advance. 8)

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it have a graphics card?

(run dxdiag, then go to monitor/monitor 1 and check what what name it is.)
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

I'd spend money on a new z68 motherboard and i3/i5 Sandy Bridge processor before I bought more memory or an SSD. 4GB is enough RAM for most users, unless you like running virtual machines or a few dozen applications at once.

edit: your OS is only 32-bit too, so it wouldn't even recognize RAM in excess of 4GB.

Deleted
    What Aphorism says applies. More RAM would do nothing for you, and an SSD is the last thing I would recommend for someone with a budget.

As said earlier, does your machine have a dedicated GPU (graphics card)? I'd assume based on the other components that it's either an older Nvidia 8XXX-series GPU or something from the 2XX era (or AMD equivalent). Depending on your PSU, I'd most likely recommend a new GPU:
    GPU: EVGA GTX 460$169.99
    GPU: HIS Radeon 6870$179.99
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti$244.99
    You might want to get a new PSU though - but it depends on what you have currently.
    PSU: XFX ProSeries 450W$59.99
    PSU: Corsair CX500 V2$54.99

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so it seems I might be the only poster to actually reply to the fact that he's running a laptop and not a desktop...but back to the topic as stated by the OP: There isn't a whole lot you can upgrade on laptops. If your really ambitious, you can change certain laptop's video cards (i.e. MXM and MXMII can be interchanged for the next higher up = Nvidia 8600gt - 8700gt). I believe you are a running an 8400gs (typical) which, while it isn't a bad card, its under-powered for the demands of the current gen of games. My 8600gt laptop ran wow fine until the video card decided to give which is a notorious problem for the 8 series.

Word of caution: Although it clearly hasn't happened for you yet, the 8400gs has an issue with the video card super-heating and the GPU solders will actually melt causing the card to eventually stop working. The only fix (albeit temporary) is to bake the card or attempt (pay someone too) to re-solder the connections. The online community consensus states that this won't last long and eventually the card once again stops working. I could be mistaken though and you have the ATI equivalent (which i've seen some refurbished of those so i'm skeptical as to whether or not it had issues as well) which is often-times replaced in systems that have the 8600gt.

Dell, HP/Compaq, and Apple all used the 8400gs & 8600gs/gt and the same issue occured. Because of their power and prestige, they formed a class-action against Nvidia for releasing flawed video cards with full knowledge that something was wrong. Users got their laptops/video cards exchanged for free for about 1 year (1 year ago, give or take). Alas, I was not one of those to be included since my laptop was from Ibuypower. My solution was a $400 one, and I for one, would rather spend that towards a new system!

TL;DR: Unfortunately your laptop cannot be upgraded significantly. (memory and hard-drive won't be a significant improvement...) If you have no issues with playing your favorite games, stick with the laptop until it becomes completely obsolete and/or conks out. Otherwise, look at some Asus, Sager, Alienware, or if your budget conscious, Toshiba Qosimo line. All those can handle gaming quite well and have various models that can suit your needs/budget. If your not in desperate need of something portable, maybe consider a desktop. I recommend something self-built but there are some configurations from Acer (Their cases are crazy), Alienware, and even some web-only companies like Ibuypower.com and Cyberpowerpc.com. Start saving now so its not a horrific experience if your XPS takes a turn for the worse!
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Isendar View Post
    Ok, so it seems I might be the only poster to actually reply to the fact that he's running a laptop and not a desktop...
    It wasn't explicitly stated by the OP.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phobianub View Post
    Hello guys! i wont sugar coat this but i have basically no knowledge when it comes to this, therefore i realy want to try and change some components for the first time...
    I am mostly running Wow with good graphics and a load of other programs in the back.
    Firstly my pc is roughly 3 years old but is still working fine, it is a Dell XPS M1530 and this is it's specs;
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 2 Cores.4GB RAM
    32-bit OS
    (If you need any more information please leave a comment and il get on it.)

Some websites have suggested upgrading the Memory & SSD which will cost roughly 150USD where i live, now i am more interested in what i should (and can since this model is rather limited i've heard) upgrade for nothing insanely more than this price.

Thanks on advance. 8)
    We're getting off-topic but the XPS M1530 is a laptop hence the M before the 1530 stands for mobile. The Core 2 Duo he mentions is also a mobile processor although some people who want to use less power used mobile processors instead (less power = less performance) I know looking it up is a tad painful but hey that's why we are here to help those that might forget to post all the info. That's what techies are for. We are sleuths...
    Last edited by Isendar; 2011-10-13 at 08:53 AM.
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Does it have a graphics card?

(run dxdiag, then go to monitor/monitor 1 and check what what name it is.)
    Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, i tought i wrote it. D:

Thanks for all the answers, greatly appritiated!
    I want to try and set in a new component mostly for the training as i am very interested in this, so i think il try and buy one of the GPU "Marest" stated, altought some of those was perhaps for a desktop? this is indeed a Laptop so please keep that in mind.
    and once again, great to have so many answer.
    Last edited by grusommegeir; 2011-10-13 at 01:09 PM.

Deleted
    I want to try and set in a new component mostly for the training as i am very interested in this, so i think il try and buy one of the GPU "Marest" stated, altought some of those was perhaps for a desktop? this is indeed a Laptop so please keep that in mind.
    and once again, great to have so many answer.
    You should disregard my post entirely as that was with a desktop/stationary PC in mind. For laptops, there is a very limited upgrade path which usually involves ordering parts from the manufacturer (which ends up being very costly 9/10 times).

Your best bet is to save your money and when you have around $600 buy a new PC, preferably a desktop computer (considering gaming).

Altought not the answer i wanted to hear, i guess i should. (altought i was aware of this when i bought it)
    Where would you suggest me to buy a pc which will have more upgrading potential than this dell? i've heard alienware charges shitloads but that may be wrong.
    PS. desktop is out of the question sadly.
    Last edited by grusommegeir; 2011-10-13 at 01:59 PM.

Altought not the answer i wanted to hear, i guess i should. (altought i was aware of this when i bought it)
    Where would you suggest me to buy a pc which will have more upgrading potential than this dell? i've heard alienware charges shitloads but that may be wrong.
    PS. desktop is out of the question sadly.
    There aren't any upgradeable laptops that don't cost an arm and a leg afaik.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834246153
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230027
    Those are the 2 best laptops for gaming right now, unless you go $1200+
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    We're getting off-topic but the XPS M1530 is a laptop hence the M before the 1530 stands for mobile. The Core 2 Duo he mentions is also a mobile processor although some people who want to use less power used mobile processors instead (less power = less performance) I know looking it up is a tad painful but hey that's why we are here to help those that might forget to post all the info. That's what techies are for. We are sleuths...
    I have an Acer Aspire M5300 which is a desktop and not a laptop, just saying. You're still right though, just wanted to point out it's not always as straight forward as it might seem.

Can't upgrade RAM with 32bit OS and it probably wouldn't do much difference anyway past 4GB unless you're into heavy multitasking. But SSD will make old laptop fly. All programs and files opens 20x faster from even cheap-ass SSD compared to the regular slow 5400rpm HDD's, on the downside it will not increase game framerates for example. Nothing can do it for you except some software tricks like for example GameBooster but the results of those aren't always too spectacular.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I think you need to get another system because personally I think Dells are garbage! For what you paid for that dell(Guessing $1200-1800) you could have built either one hell of a desktop or two moderately equipped desktops!

I can't stand gaming on laptops! Not enough room on the cramped little things and if you buy a bigger one you may as well have a desktop!

Don't bash brands - it is clearly against the rules. /Marest
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-10-13 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    personally I think Dells are garbage!
    What you personally think and what is reality are two entirely different things.

There's nothing really wrong with Dell and compared to most other manufacturers their customer service is better than average. The only real problem is that they sell almost mandatory 'upgrades' at really high markups, just like Apple for example, and people who don't have the technical knowledge will pay huge overprice from simple things like more RAM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Once again, thanks for all these responses, i value all of them.
    My dell (which i bought for 1600usd not counting how the ratings have changed) have served me well altought i have rebooted it more times than i can count on my hand. as it is three years old now i think i'l look into buying a new one, perhaps after christmas.
    i am highly considering both lenovo (in which taekvideo posted some links about) and alienware, altought this probably will be expensive(1800usd+) but a good choice nonetheless. if anyone have any more links regarding good gaming laptops please feel free to dump them here as long as its not very expensive, but i probably wont check this thread much more before christmas.
    Once again, thanks a lot for all the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    I think you need to get another system because personally I think Dells are garbage! For what you paid for that dell(Guessing $1200-1800) you could have built either one hell of a desktop or two moderately equipped desktops!

I can't stand gaming on laptops! Not enough room on the cramped little things and if you buy a bigger one you may as well have a desktop!

Don't bash brands - it is clearly against the rules. /Marest
    When someone buys a laptop they are specifically NOT buying a desktop, honestly would have considered that common sense. I personally dont go to purchase a laptop and think DAMN i could have gotten a crazy desktop for this price. Dell is a very good company in actuality with how many bad reviews u hear compared to the MASSIVE size of distribution your talking A quality rating.

As for dell marking up items any PC building company marks up things you find $140 Mobo's for $200+ all the time.

I have that exact same computer with the same specs and i play minecraft full screen with 30 to 60 FPS so yeah, u can play with it

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Damn what a blast from the past, I used to have one of these laptops back in TBC, they were so cool at the time