Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I’m sorry but I think that is a ridiculous statement honestly. Homosexuality has never been more widely accepted than it is now. Yes there are still people that disagree with it and say horrible things but you will always have that. Something like acting shouldn’t be forced into diversity, the actors should be chosen based on their talent and nothing more. To a gay man doesn’t have the same opportunities has a straight man is ridiculous, they are both men and will be up for the same roles, the better actor will get the part. And Hollywood is one of the most accepting industries to be gay. This isn’t the 50’s anymore.

What an idiot. Obviously he should have said fewer opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    Uh, fucking Brokeback Mountain?

I think it's funny (in a bad way) that white male gays are starting to get backlash from the far-left politically-sexual-and-racial crowd for not being queer enough.
    Didn't know the movie was successful, I never even saw it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    Uh, fucking Brokeback Mountain?

I think it's funny (in a bad way) that white male gays are starting to get backlash from the far-left politically-sexual-and-racial crowd for not being queer enough.
    '

The Bird cage.
    Capote
    Milk
    Midnight Cowboy
    Last edited by Dystemper; 2016-08-04 at 10:08 PM.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    And why is this a bad thing? Most of us want to be accepted as a normal human being, not an exclusive group who is different to the rest of humanity.
    Its bad because it was shameless pandering. They shoe horded gayness onto a straight character just for publicity, its offensive. Its not inclusive, its cynical.
    Being treated as normal means, no one gives a shit who you fuck, I certainly dont, I dont want to be told or hear about it, thats between you and whoever you are fucking.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

>suicide squad
    >marvel
    am i really this bad at pop culture?!

edit: Just realized I could have acted it cool and said I was talking about Deadpool, goddamnit!
    Last edited by Cyberowl; 2016-08-04 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Conservative acts are literally RUINING society.
    Oh get out of here with that BS, everyone on the planet knows that Hollywood is mostly liberal.

The reason we don't see many gay actors is simply because there aren't that many gay people in the world, so obviously there aren't going to be a bunch of gay actors.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    I’m sorry but I think that is a ridiculous statement honestly. Homosexuality has never been more widely accepted than it is now. Yes there are still people that disagree with it and say horrible things but you will always have that. Something like acting shouldn’t be forced into diversity, the actors should be chosen based on their talent and nothing more. To a gay man doesn’t have the same opportunities has a straight man is ridiculous, they are both men and will be up for the same roles, the better actor will get the part. And Hollywood is one of the most accepting industries to be gay. This isn’t the 50’s anymore.
    Only people who are accepting it are in their 20s and very early 30s [below 35.]. Go on Youtube, FB, any big media sites. You will see thousands of dislikes for no reason just because someone is not just only gay but any minority, even going so absurd that they'll disagree simply because someone is not white.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Oh get out of here with that BS, everyone on the planet knows that Hollywood is mostly liberal.

The reason we don't see many gay actors is simply because there aren't that many gay people in the world, so obviously there aren't going to be a bunch of gay actors.
    1 in 3 people are, will or have had a gay experience/living a lifestyle.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Hollywood may be fairly liberal, the industry isn't. Can't recall any big movie having a centric gay relationship.
    If gays want more gay roles then they can take the risks of making a gay movie with gay centric relationships instead of trying to force someone else to experiment on their behalf.

This entitled bullshit really has to stop, nobody is stopping gays from producing their own movies with their own plots and ga centric relationships, most producers do their job for money, if there is a risk they wont get a return then they probably wont go with it, and thats their choice, forcing someone into a potentially bad business choice to further some social agenda is bullshit.

Its no the movie industries job to shape public opinion, its to earn a living through providing entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post

1 in 3 people are, will or have had a gay experience/living a lifestyle.
    Cite a source or gtfo

Also "a gay experience" doesn't make them actually gay, it just means they may have tried something one time, may have even been very drunk or high at the time, and then said "yeah no, that's not for me"... so that metric very obviously should not be counted as it isn't in any way classifying them as gay.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-08-04 at 10:12 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    If gays want more gay roles then they can take the risks of making a gay movie with gay centric relationships instead of trying to force someone else to experiment on their behalf.

This entitled bullshit really has to stop, nobody is stopping gays from producing their own movies with their own plots and ga centric relationships, most producers do their job for money, if there is a risk they wont get a return then they probably wont go with it, and thats their choice, forcing someone into a potentially bad business choice to further some social agenda is bullshit.

Its no the movie industries job to shape public opinion, its to earn a living through providing entertainment
    You could probably stomp out a "gay cast movie" in no time. It's not about the lack of people in Hollywood, it's about the problems that will emerge for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Well, it's a washed up example and certainly not the one I meant, but that Juno girl, Ellen Page. Although imo she isn't a big name anyways and certainly doesn't get any good roles for that reason alone.
    Ellen Page isn't getting work.

You really don't watch movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    When the character's sexuality, straight or gay has nothing to do with the story why would they bother highlighting it. Better for it to be there without shoving it in people's faces.
    My point is, in this specific example of Star Trek, is that it was done ONLY for publicity, They choose Sulu because Star Trek alum Takei is gay, figured it would go over well. Even Takei was displeased with them changing Roddenberrys vision for Sulu, Sulu is NOT gay.

I mean, Honestly, they should have waited till 4 and who ever they replace Chekov with should have been the token gay. Which is all it is, a check mark on a list of inclusion to keep people from bitching about w/e "ism" there might be.

I dont care if there are gay in TV and Movies. I care that if were are to be told a characters sexuality, it have some point to the story. I just dont give a shit who fucks what or who.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Its bad because it was shameless pandering. They shoe horded gayness onto a straight character just for publicity, its offensive. Its not inclusive, its cynical.
    Being treated as normal means, no one gives a shit who you fuck, I certainly dont, I dont want to be told or hear about it, thats between you and whoever you are fucking.
    Shameless pandering as it may be, having a "straight character" be gay is very inclusive. That's exactly what "normal" is. And most gays aren't feminine, bitchy stereotypes. Most are like every other guy, and want to be treated and represented as such. Whether you want to hear about it is irrelevant.

I don't doubt that homosexual actors face some challenges in the movie industry but I have to say, of all the various industries out there the movie industry is at the very bottom of the "Hardest Industry to Get Into" list. I think I could name more gay actors off the top of my head than every single gay non-actor ever in history.
    Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Ellen Page isn't getting work.

You really don't watch movies.
    Guess you are right. :P I did a quick google and only found some comic side roles recently. Although I guess Juno was her only big hit with her in the main role anyways?

No, just no. That was a throw away scene that did nothing for the character other than make him gay to be gay, so they could say "look at how inclusive we are". If you stepped out to piss in that moment there is literally nothing else to tell you he is gay, maybe a mention of the husband later in the flick, IDR I was pretty high.

It hand nothing to do with the story, no real impact, it was window dressing. Of the worst sort too.
    Why does the characters gayness need to be central to the plot? Its an afterthought, does everybody elses sexuality also need to play a part? Would it be better if he were OTT gay and announcing it every 5 seconds playing into all the steriotypes

I can see why most producers avoid writing in gay characters though, impossible to please that minority, better to focus on other groups

10+ Year Old Account
    My point is, in this specific example of Star Trek, is that it was done ONLY for publicity, They choose Sulu because Star Trek alum Takei is gay, figured it would go over well. Even Takei was displeased with them changing Roddenberrys vision for Sulu, Sulu is NOT gay.

I agree there.

I mean, Honestly, they should have waited till 4 and who ever they replace Chekov with should have been the token gay.
    To be fair, when they wrote the script the guy who played Chekov wasn't dead.

Really what it comes down to is marketability. There are more straights than gays, meaning more people relate to straights meaning more people are willing to pay to see straights be straight on TV and movies. I wouldnt care if a gay actor played a straight role, I would care that they use that casting as marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipnos14 View Post
    This is something that happens because aparently a lot of people believe that if you know that X actor is gay, and he plays a straight role, you wont believe it and the movie will be shit, something that I really don't get, I mean...in Brokeback Mountain, for example, is the other way around and at least for me was very believable.

In reality the important thing is the actor's skill, not his personal life.

Same thing for women, like Jodie Foster for example, I freaking love her, but she is nowhere to be seen.

Jodie Foster is nowhere to be seen because she moved to the greener pastures of movie production.

Producers earn WAY more than actors, and don't get the drawbacks of unwanted attention and loss of privacy.

If you remember, Jodie Foster had a fairly prominent case of a stalker, and that stalker shot President Ronald Reagan to impress her. She's always despised the spotlight.