Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    You read too much into lines. By half/half, I didn't mean in a literal sense. Turks did held a veto power, which meant they could pretty much veto everything Greeks throw at them. The power is hard to quantify and split in a rigorous sense, but ability to veto is a powerful option to have.
    It was never "It is half Greek half Turkish for, uhm...100 years or so. Your history book goes as back as to "nationalistic bullshit"", which is what I disputed.

I could claim Turkey is located in Banana, because I can make up terms too. The definition of ME changed over time. First it was used to refer to Persia and around, now it refers entire area. I don't give a damn what some not-so-rigorous term means in English. If you want to talk about geography, talk geography.
    It is a widely accepted term in English, you do not get to determine what is widely accepted in English, you do not even get to do that in Turkish, so I have no idea why you think you would have that power over English.

And I was talking about geography. Turkey is in the Middle East, whether you like it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you and @Kalis gotta tell me why I can't come up with my own ME closure.
    Because you are some random Turkish bloke.

Do you know how they include Turkey in ME? They use the closure used by USA. The term is defined by Western doctrines, which happens to change over time. Now you and @Kalis gotta tell me why I can't come up with my own ME closure. Do not try to sell vague terms as rigorous ones.
    You can switch up the terms of cats and dogs for all I care, just get it back together when you are engaging in discussions with people who follow the common terms.

You sound personally offended by being thrown into the lot with the other ME countries. Understandable, since you are rather rational, but don't get your panties in a twist when people do so without meaning offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It is a widely accepted term in English, you do not get to determine what is widely accepted in English, you do not even get to do that in Turkish, so I have no idea why you think you would have that power over English.
    This is precisely why vague terms are avoided in science, which means discussion based on facts. You can't claim it's an accurate descriptor, especially when talking about geography. The ME is a term changes based on Western political doctrine. In early days, ME was East of Turkey and now it suddenly involves Turkey as well as Cyprus and entire Mediterranean. Why? Because that's how USA is defined that term. What you think to be "widely accepted in English" is actually dictated by USA's African and West Asian doctrine. The sole reason why you think that Turkey is in ME because that's what USA thinks ME means.

And I was talking about geography. Turkey is in the Middle East, whether you like it or not.
    Since the term is not rigorous, I can claim otherwise and be just as accurate as you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    just get it back together when you are engaging in discussions with people who follow the common terms.
    You are too common for my test tho...

You can switch up the terms of cats and dogs for all I care
    Oh sweet baby Jesus, would you stop tip-toe-ing around it?

--

You sound personally offended by being thrown into the lot with the other ME countries. Understandable, since you are rather rational, but don't get your panties in a twist when people do so without meaning offence.
    I am not offended by anything. The term ME is not a good term and this is not my first discussion about this term with @Kalis. Entire Mediterranean should be either called Near East, or Mediterranean.

--

The term is so fucking stupid that there should be a Near East that is located West of Middle East and that's how it was initially. In contemporary usage, West of Middle East is actually Europe, which means Europe is Near East...
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-08-04 at 11:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is precisely why vague terms are avoided in science, involves means discussion based on facts. The ME is a term changes based on Western political doctrine. In early days, ME was East of Turkey and now it suddenly involves Turkey as well as Cyprus and entire Mediterranean. Why? Because that's how USA is defined that term. What you think to be "widely accepted in English" is actually dictated by USA's African and West Asian doctrine. The sole reason why you think that Turkey is in ME because that's what USA thinks ME means.
    What becomes accepted is the accepted term, oddly enough, it is irrelevant who came up with that change or why.

Since the term is not rigorous, I can claim otherwise and be just as accurate as you.
    No, because Turkey is included in every accepted contempory usage of the term. So you would be inaccurate, which is not the same as accurate, even though they both have the word accurate in them. I hope this helps.

Turkey has become a conservative, authoritarian muslim country. Erdogan used the military's coup d'etat to assert himself the democratically and legitimately chosen leader, while also using it to justify a purge of the oppositon in the country. Thousands of people were judged, put in prison or deported, from military, to judges, to teachers, to all kinds of people who might have opposed his views, perversely instituting his own dictatorship, appeasing the muslim majority.
    Turkey is under dictatorship under the cover of democracy, it's disgusting. That coup d'etat was the best thing to happen to Erdogan.
    I worry over my lgbt brothers and sisters, their lives are definately in danger. It's enfuriating, how Istanbul had been such a great focus of lgbt pride and expression, and in the blink of an eye, they're being persecuted and murdered.
    EU and NATO must stop their hipocrisy. Supporting the regime is an offense to european ideals.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not offended by anything. The term ME is not a good term and this is not my first discussion about this term with @Kalis. Entire Mediterranean should be either called Near East, or Mediterranean.
    That would be a pointless change, you can call it the Eastern Mediterranean, I use that term regularly and people know what I am talking about. Just Mediterranean would include the likes of North Africa and Southern Europe, which you can also use if you want.

You are trying to limit English when there is no need to do so, we have lots of overlapping terms, just because you object to some of them is your concern, not ours.

Funny how the left wing always support both the LGBT community and Muslim community.

This sort of thing must rip their ideologies apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Funny how the left wing always support both the LGBT community and Muslim community.

Are crocodiles color blind?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post

There's a mechanism by which they determine which special interest group recieves priority in any given situation.

Its called the PROGRESSIVE STACK.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Are crocodiles color blind?
    I think they are.. went to wiki

When in bright light, the pupils of a crocodilian contract into narrow slits, whereas in darkness they become fully circular.
    This is typical for animals that hunt at night. Crocodilians also possess a tapetum lucidum which enhances vision in low light.
    While eyesight is fairly good in air, it is significantly weakened underwater.

You can go Cage Diving with Crocodiles in my city of Darwin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppen View Post
    They tried to pin the Orlando shooting as right wing bigotry instead of blaming Islam, they avoid muslim areas when its gay pride which defeats the whole purpose.

They will continue to ignore Islam and it's many faults because muslims are higher up the chain on the oppression Olympics.
    It wasn't right wing bigotry or Islam, it was one fuckface with a warped and twisted mind.

I think it's high time we start blaming these events on individuals and not on entire ethnicities and religions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    There's a mechanism by which they determine which special interest group recieves priority in any given situation.

Its called the PROGRESSIVE STACK.
    Yeah, and the PROGRESSIVE STACK is a part of the CONSERVATIVE IMAGINATION.

Why do the left support these groups? Because we support people having their own beliefs and their own ways of life. Frankly, I don't give a shit about homophobes, Muslim or not, so long as they keep their homophobia to themselves (which they usually don't, and that's the problem.) But I believe LGBT have the right to have equal rights, and Muslims have the right to worship as they please because I don't assume "all Muslims are bad people," or "all Muslims are homophobic."

And before you "b-b-b-but Koran!" me, there are plenty of fucked up passages in the Bible too.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Nothing to do with Islam right? Christianity is as bad right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

And before you "b-b-b-but Koran!" me, there are plenty of fucked up passages in the Bible too.
    And there we go with this retarded argument. You justify the backwardness of islam by poiting out some stuff in bible that has no relevance in modern Christianity. Gratz for being retarded.

It wasn't right wing bigotry or Islam, it was one fuckface with a warped and twisted mind.

I think it's high time we start blaming these events on individuals and not on entire ethnicities and religions.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, and the PROGRESSIVE STACK is a part of the CONSERVATIVE IMAGINATION.

Why do the left support these groups? Because we support people having their own beliefs and their own ways of life. Frankly, I don't give a shit about homophobes, Muslim or not, so long as they keep their homophobia to themselves (which they usually don't, and that's the problem.) But I believe LGBT have the right to have equal rights, and Muslims have the right to worship as they please because I don't assume "all Muslims are bad people," or "all Muslims are homophobic."

Well, you've missed the train on that. The white man has been responsible for everything wrong in a black person's life since the 90s. And the right wing is loaded with terrorists that want all the brown people and gays dead.

Just like both holy books have terrible and/or stupid things in them, all sides and walks of life engage in blanket blame. Last I checked, I'm responsible for all the fighting in the Middle East for being American.

And progressive stack is real. That's why racism against white people has been acceptable from people who claim that treating people like shit based on skin color as wrong. And why I look forward to when the homophobia rampant in Islamic regions has to be addressed by outsiders in the same way homophobia in Christian stronghold cities/states was.

Remember the clinic bombings by radical Christians?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    Nothing to do with Islam right? Christianity is as bad right?

- - - Updated - - -

And there we go with this retarded argument. You justify the backwardness of islam by poiting out some stuff in bible that has no relevance in modern Christianity. Gratz for being retarded.
    The point is, which you obviously missed, no one accuses Christians as a whole of extremism based on a few lines in the Bible that fundamentalists use to justify their idiocy. So why does everyone accuse Muslims as a whole, of extremism, based on a few lines in the Koran that fundamentalists use to justify their idiocy?

Why can't we give Muslims the same treatment we give Christians, and understand that like Christianity, there are entirely different sects, different spectrums of belief and zealotry, different interpretations of scripture? Why is this so hard? And why can't we treat the individuals of the group, as individuals, rather than blaming the whole group on the few?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Well, you've missed the train on that. The white man has been responsible for everything wrong in a black person's life since the 90s. And the right wing is loaded with terrorists that want all the brown people and gays dead.
    I'll be the first to say that white guilt is a stupid idea and that I am not guilty of the actions of white people (or any people) who are not me. I am as white as white gets, and I'm a liberal, but I don't feel guilty for slaves, I never owned any. Don't even give a shit if my ancestors did, because I'm not them either.

Just like both holy books have terrible and/or stupid things in them, all sides and walks of life engage in blanket blame. Last I checked, I'm responsible for all the fighting in the Middle East for being American.
    My point was that no one blanket-blames all of Christianity based on the Bible, and they shouldn't, so why can't we extend that same logic on Muslims?

And while us Americans aren't responsible for all the violence in the Middle East, our meddling did stir up a few hornets nests

And progressive stack is real. That's why racism against white people has been acceptable from people who claim that treating people like shit based on skin color as wrong. And why I look forward to when the homophobia rampant in Islamic regions has to be addressed by outsiders in the same way homophobia in Christian stronghold cities/states was.
    Oh get real, white people aren't being "discriminated." Maybe some lunatic on Tumblr or some BLM extremist, but not in any systemic fashion. And as I said in a previous post, we're more concerned with homophobia at home where we have a good chance of fighting and changing it, than we do in the Middle East, where we have little to no influence. No, I don't like that gays are being thrown off buildings in Syria by ISIS. But there's not much I can do about that. I can however protest or write to my Senator or vote or otherwise make my voice heard to help change things here at home.

But how the hell am I going to change things in Syria?
    Remember the clinic bombings by radical Christians?
    Yeah. Christians have radicals. So do Muslims. Christians have good people. So do Muslims.
    Putin khuliyo

The point is, which you obviously missed, no one accuses Christians as a whole of extremism based on a few lines in the Bible that fundamentalists use to justify their idiocy. So why does everyone accuse Muslims as a whole, of extremism, based on a few lines in the Koran that fundamentalists use to justify their idiocy?
    You can compare the "Christian" countries with Muslim ones and see why some people think Muslims are worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    You can compare the "Christian" countries with Muslim ones and see why some people think Muslims are worse.
    There really aren't any real "Christian" countries anymore. Sure, there are ones with Christian majorities, but not really any actual theocracies. (Except the Vatican City.)

Furthermore the issue with terrorism is not Islam, but economics, politics and warfare. The Islamic nations where terror tends to originate are also wartorn nations filled with poverty, a lack of education, a lack of infrastructure, and/or open warfare, where people are desperate. Desperation, a common enemy in the west and a common ally in fellow Muslims like themselves drives people towards radicalism and terrorism. Religion is used as a justification and as a recruiting tool. While it is a factor, it's not the driving factor.

Why isn't Malasia a hotbed of terrorism? They've been targeted, sure, but you hardly ever hear of Malaysian terrorists striking at the West.
    Putin khuliyo

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    You expected anything less of the ME's mentality ?
    This guy lived in Syria (further in the ME than Turkey) for decades without being murdered, blame the specific people/group who did it not the entire area.

It is quite tragic that he fled to Turkey to avoid being beheaded by the Syrian rebels or ISIS then suffered that fate anyway

There really aren't any real "Christian" countries anymore. Sure, there are ones with Christian majorities, but not really any actual theocracies. (Except the Vatican City.)
    Yet another reason why people don't think Christians are as bad.

Furthermore the issue with terrorism is not Islam, but economics, politics and warfare. The Islamic nations where terror tends to originate are also wartorn nations filled with poverty, a lack of education, a lack of infrastructure, and/or open warfare, where people are desperate. Desperation, a common enemy in the west and a common ally in fellow Muslims like themselves drives people towards radicalism and terrorism. Religion is used as a justification and as a recruiting tool. While it is a factor, it's not the driving factor.
    I mean you can say that, but when people form a massive group and then attack people while saying it's because of that group, people aren't going to like that group.

Why isn't Malasia a hotbed of terrorism? They've been targeted, sure, but you hardly ever hear of Malaysian terrorists striking at the West.
    I don't know, but a small minority of Muslim countries not being horrible places isn't going to convince people either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Tragic.

As for "why rape gay men", here's why:

Men are seen as sexually agressive, women as passive. Men will never say no to certain activities, which is why women raping men is considered a non-issue and good (cue Southpark with Niceee). They're precieved as feminine but they're still open to sex regardless because of their gender

Ass. It's been a subject of fear and wonder for as long humanity has existed (probably). If you see anti-gay campaigns in say Uganda, it's all about the ass, really. No one likes asses (well, the intestine) due to its function. They really do think gay men put their entire arm up someone else's ass and homosexuality should lead to a death sentence due to the horrific injuries caused by inserting objects there

Indeed, in many cultures (Arab too), it's considered offensive to i.e wave with your left hand because it's the wiping hand. And another tool to keep us left-handed down! The supression never ends. Yet, people think gay men are all about anal, even though that's not the case, just ask Stephen Fry, who is gay and has never done any of that stuff. So the ass is exit only, unless you're gay, then you want it. All the time. Because you're a man and can never say no

So bascially, gay men are asking for it. Ass is yucky, unless you're gay. And somehoe it's not gay to rape another man, even though you are having sex with another man.

This I base on absolutely nothing (cue Southpark once more)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

From ancient times, through the Classical, Hellenistic and Roman periods, the Crusades and colonialism, up until the present day, Cyprus has had dealings with Europe and been considered to be culturally European.
    I wouldn't classify ancient Greece as "European", it was "Mediterranean", and later European cultures incorporated a lot of it into themselves, but that does not mean ancient Greece was European itself.