Page 1 of 3
LastLast

At what point do you rage quit/put in your 2 weeks notice at a job.

Just wondering what people feel is the final straw, either from a personal line you have or a situation you have been in before.

I have a very turbulent job, I run the design department at a prototyping company and it is stressful from the owner to the clients to the work of our shop people and its always a problem to be solved. we had a terrible client this week that made me think, "is this really worth it?!". he's one of those that will never be happy, and may be a con-artist defrauding the state of south dakota...

I always approach every situation with the analysis, "you have three choices. either change it, accept it, or walk away".

right now i can't change it, i could accept it, or i could walk away...I'm real close to saying I can't accept it...soo....

SO, again that leads me to my original thread title, what is your turning point or line in the sand. what makes you finally say, "fuck this, enough's enough".

10+ Year Old Account
    When you have another job lined up.

Then you give two weeks notice.

And keep your bridges unburnt.

Unless you are about to /wrists you really shouldn't quit a job without having something else lined up.

You forgot the fourth option. Troll it! Whenever I've been in a similar situation, ive found that taking a step back and finding a way to fuck with people in a way that entertains me always helps relieve some stress. You seem like a smart individual, i have complete faith in your abilities. Never give someone that much control that you are that stressed out broham

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

Unless you are about to /wrists you really shouldn't quit a job without having something else lined up.
    /thread

/10characters

/slashes are fun!

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>

^Essentially this. Ragequitting on a job just makes a poor reference for you and it makes you less likely to get another job. If you have good reasons to leave your job, build a safety net first.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

The only time I have just quit is when my boss sent me home early due to my refusal to lie to a health inspector...

to respond directly. I wouldn't rage quit unless the owner personally said "fuck you", especially because im third in command and have a lot of personal loyalty to some special clients.

Even though you hate your job and its causing you endless inner turmoil..do not quit it.

You have an Income coming in..do not interrupt your cash flow.
    As well, HR departments do not like seeing job gaps on CVs, unless you got pregnant to have a child.

Start looking for another job, even if it pays a bit less.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never given up on a job I had; granted, I haven't had that many. The closest to quitting I was back in 2010, when working on the beach in Virginia: 100+F weather, 90+% humidity, equipment that even elephants would have a hard time carrying - and we weren't even allowed to swim in a free time... After the first few days, I was on the verge of quitting. Luckily, a rain season started, and it got much easier, and when it ended, I was used to the job already and could handle the heat.

Looking back, I have to say that it was, actually, the most fun job I've had in my life!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    You forgot the fourth option. Troll it! Whenever I've been in a similar situation, ive found that taking a step back and finding a way to fuck with people in a way that entertains me always helps relieve some stress. You seem like a smart individual, i have complete faith in your abilities. Never give someone that much control that you are that stressed out broham
    haha thanks for the idea man!!! biggest problem for me is that my owner is a moron whom i'd love to troll, but in doing so I'd troll my direct boss, the operations manager, and i respect him, so I'd being screwing him in the process...dammit!

10+ Year Old Account
    After working 14 days straight, with an avarage of 10 hours per day, which includes only 4 hours each Sunday and Saturday, I wrote my 'This is my two week notice' email. I saved it and slept on it for a couple of nights. Then I told management that I feel like quitting and I see no future improvements. The next day the head of US region called me, apologized, claimed my raise is being worked out, but "the offers were too low" and he was fighting for more (I let him think I'm an idiot slide). 8 days later I have a promotion, raise while still being undervalued in pay and I clocked out at 7:30 hours worked today.

Take away from that, what you will... But, I'd sleep on it... Writing it out and reading back helps... Just don't act on emotion...

Edit: My employer is a global conglomerate and my position is skill based... If you work at some shitty mom and pop or Pizza Hut... Piss in his cooler and shit in her purse...
    Last edited by Felya; 2016-08-05 at 12:48 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

If you can take a vacation you could use the time to think things through.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Even though you hate your job and its causing you endless inner turmoil..do not quit it.

You have an Income coming in..do not interrupt your cash flow.
    As well, HR departments do not like seeing job gaps on CVs, unless you got pregnant to have a child.

Start looking for another job, even if it pays a bit less.
    whats really screwed up is we dont have an HR department. its just the emotional whims of the owner...

I called my 66 yr old mother about it earlier this evening who was in television advertising for 35 years, so she knows about asshole clients, and she essentially said "you 75% love your job, who cares about that extra 25%, most people dont get that much satisfaction" and she had a good point. i make ok money, and they CANNOT fire me

So generally I prefer to give my two weeks. However a few years ago the pizza place I was working at closed so I applied at another of the same place in another town that was still open. The manager there had worked in my store before and didn't like the manager there. She was talking shit about him to me and I stood up for him. After that she never had anything good to tell me. On my ass over every little thing I did wrong. One night in a bad ohio winter was pretty icy and I got stuck in a driveway that was a thick sheet of ice. When I got back to the store she had already clocked me out and was mad at me because I called one of the other drivers and not her when I was stuck. Got on my ass about it. So the next day I just got tired of her shit and I called to quit.

edit: What I"m getting at is you'll know it when it's time.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

When the District Manager tries to bait you into quitting by insulting your intelligence level, but decide to wait a few weeks later because you got a job offer to be a computer programmer. Which not only pays more, but arguably means you're much more intelligent than some person who works in retail just to berate his underlings.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    After working 14 days straight, with an avarage of 10 hours per day, which includes only 4 hours each Sunday and Saturday, I wrote my 'This is my two week notice' email. I saved it and slept on it for a couple of nights. Then I told management that I feel like quitting and I see no future improvements. The next day the head of US region called me, apologized, claimed my raise is being worked out, but "the offers were too low" and he was fighting for more (I let him think I'm an idiot slide). 8 days later I have a promotion, raise while still being undervalued in pay and I clocked out at 7:30 hours worked today.

Take away from that, what you will... But, I'd sleep on it... Writing it out and reading back helps... Just don't act on emotion...

Edit: My employer is a global conglomerate and my position is skill based... If you work at some shitty mom and pop or Pizza Hut... Piss in his cooler and shit in her purse...
    man, way to go!

If i acted on emotion i would have quit 4 years ago.

your point about shitting in the cooler is not a bad idea though haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If you can take a vacation you could use the time to think things through.
    thing is i just got back from vacation 2 weeks ago and Im taking tomorrow off for a 3 day weekend tomorrow...but you're right, this is the perfect time to take a breath...MOPED RALLY IN DETROIT SATURDAY WOOOOO!

Its generally not a good idea to leave on bad terms.

Just depends on the job, really. In most cases my two weeks goes in if the stress bleeds over into my personal life - but then I'm a pretty established professional who has a lot of options in his job market. I'm a hard worker who very seldom complains and to my knowledge has never had a complaint filed against me, so I have a simple rule; if I'm not treated with respect, I go someplace else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Never, since I never had notice as short as that. Last time I did give one (was a 3 months notice), I did it without knowing where I'd be working next, neither which country or in which year. I just thought I'd find one easily enough when I'd want to.

Went perfectly smoothly.
    my wife makes good money, so I could pull this one. I've thought about it. "i'll deal with clients XYZ, and we have 1/2/3 months to button them up and in the mean time you can get someone in here, and I'll bring them up to speed"

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Ask for a raise then.
    in this situation, its not about money and they are stingy, plus they've taken care of me. Im not paid the average for my position, but they at least try, which is something. last year they gave me a 6% raise plus a 3% bonus, so I absolutely cannot complain about money.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So generally I prefer to give my two weeks. However a few years ago the pizza place I was working at closed so I applied at another of the same place in another town that was still open. The manager there had worked in my store before and didn't like the manager there. She was talking shit about him to me and I stood up for him. After that she never had anything good to tell me. On my ass over every little thing I did wrong. One night in a bad ohio winter was pretty icy and I got stuck in a driveway that was a thick sheet of ice. When I got back to the store she had already clocked me out and was mad at me because I called one of the other drivers and not her when I was stuck. Got on my ass about it. So the next day I just got tired of her shit and I called to quit.

edit: What I"m getting at is you'll know it when it's time.
    dude im hoping that's the case...directed to you specifically. my wife really just wants to buy a house on lots of land in licking county and told me to just turn it into a homestead and raise goats and chickens and farm and shed worry about money...it's very tempting.

It's one client. The nature of your work seems to indicate that you won't work with this client forever. Do you like other aspects of your job? Sounds to me like you're just venting; if not maybe take that client out of the equation and determine if the client is the problem, the job itself or some other aspect of work/life that you're unhappy with.

I'd definitely talk to your boss or whoever is in charge of client contracts on placing a limit/charge on the amount of revisions a client can get for free, if you're charging hourly then it's nbd but a difficult client who is requesting endless changes can end up costing you money in the long run.

A lawyer on retainer can help you draft a suitable project contract that you can modify for most clients; if you're a small outfit then I'd consider reading up on the basics of contract law (fairly simple to understand) and use sample contracts from other small business websites.