Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    DO you burn the roof of your mouth a lot? Ya know, since you were eating pizza before it was cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think everyone feels like that just a little bit. For example, I've been wanting a new car, specifically a cheap used sports car. I've gotten plenty of good offers and turned all of them down. Why? Every. Single. One. Mustang. Asked once when out with a family member on a drive why I didn't like them. After pointing out 5 different ones that I passed while driving in less than 3 miles, I told them THAT was why. I don't care how fast it is, how much work you put into it, or how good the deal is. Until the Mustang becomes rare (lol) I won't want one.

I don't even know what my own subconscious knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I want to be like that. I know I've got to be such a shitty friend. Its like every day I'm bound by a court of hipster judges that pull things out of a hat that I'm allowed to like and not allowed to like. There honestly feels like there is no method or sanity to it. I can't snap out of it, I don't know why. If I'm not unique, I'm worthless.
    Everyone and no one is unique, regardless of their interests or behavior.

This might sound flippant but you should steer clear of joining any cults if at all possible, you seem to base a large amount of your identity on your subgroup identification and have a hard time pulling yourself away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamisawesome View Post
    I don't even know what my own subconscious knows.
    The only thing it can know, that you exist. All else is mere speculation. Although my subconscious appears to be convinced that I am a man of unrivaled heroism and wit.

Self-resentment like this has really been trending lately. I see it everywhere.

It really just sounds like you care, even subconsciously, way too much about what other people think of you. Which, like I said, is an incredibly common problem. Absolutely mundane. You sheeple.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-08-05 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really understand refusing to do things because they're popular. I tend to look at it the opposite way, and champion the unpopular. I have a slew of female orcs and dwarves because somebody needs to. Perhaps it is similar in that I feel more of a connection with people who are doing the same when it isn't the most common; I cheer at other fem orcs in dungeons etc.. I think if you see people who behave in a similar way and like similar things to yourself, you feel a part of a community with them, and I guess some folks hate to think they're in a "common" community, while I enjoy being in an "uncommon" community.

This sounds like some flavor of OCD. There's probably some kind of behavioral treatment you could get; go talk with a mental health professional.

Getting help for mental care doesn't happen that much here, so you should be able to do this without your brain fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    How about instead of trying to avoid or enjoy things that you feel not many people like that you just enjoy what you find enjoyable while not caring about other peoples opinion on that thing that you enjoy.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This bud. /10

- - - Updated - - -

Sure feels that way. I've been feeling awfully depressed lately, trying to pinpoint whats causing it led me to realize I need to change some things.

As for the zoloft, I'm already on Ziprasidone and Adderall for treating bipolar, depression and chronic fatigue. I hate taking meds since I have a family history of pill abuse, I wasn't taking them my entire life until recently.

You've probably done this already, but just to be on the safe-side, have you spoken to your doctor/therapist/psychiatrist about the side-effects of your medication?

@Garnier Fructis above mentioned that this sounds like some type of OCD, and I would kind of agree. You're too obsessed with something that you spend too much time contemplating not being it. It's easy to say chill out and relax, simply be yourself. But you may have some serious anxiety issues. Speak to someone qualified about it (I'm not and I doubt most posters here are).

Now what may bring you some comfort is trying to reconsider the way you think about things... it may not be quite that bad to be somewhat contrarian to "normal" society- in my mind it is quite understandable to have some type of resentment to oversaturated elements in the media or whatever society. Being different also gives you a perspective that not many would see and allows you to come up with fresh ideas which others might have never contemplated, even if these ideas stem from a place of anxiety. This anxiety may also help you to be more cautious and thus acknowledge the problems in overlooked things- do you often feel like you need to check up on dangers or potential illness? Being aware of these possibilities may provoke you to consult someone and take better care of yourself. In sum, you don't need to necessarily see it as a bad thing.

Someone else also mentioned not investing too much thought in labels, they don't make your life any easier. I agree. You don't need to be anything for anyone else, just be you. Or just "be" if you like. You may spend too much time considering what others think.

One of the things I remember from my Psych diagnosis textbooks, is that you can't diagnose anyone with anything unless it causes impairment in their living and they show marked stress because of it. You seem to be checking those boxes. I would suggest seeing someone about it. You mentioned medication for bipolar and depression, speak to your therapist.

You could always just make your own decisions based on what you like and stop worrying about what other people think or do.

By the way, if you really are bi-polar, try exercise if you arent already. It does wonders for the mind and body.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthok View Post
    Posting on MMO is mainstream for gamers.
    That's true. That's a fact.

Deleted
    I cannot break it, it applies to every aspect of my life even into shit people generally don't care about. The TV shows I watch, the games I play, everything that could possibly bring me enjoyment I will refuse to do if its a popular or trendy thing. In fact, it becomes so aggravating that I think and feel this way that it is slowly growing into self-resentment. I don't want to be an annoying hipster so I rarely ever talk about it. I bring it up to you guys first because I remain anonymous despite being kinda known around these parts? I guess. I'm honestly considering therapy if such a thing even exists. I'm not sure if its an actual mental illness.

At first, you could laugh at some of the examples because of how outright ridiculous and absurd it is that I think and feel this way. But these are true cases of things I have done that are just absolutely bizarre and proof that I'm completely bonkers right about now. Nobody really understands why I act this way and I'm beginning to not understand it either. I know a lot of you are compassionless assholes, but maybe those are the kinds of people to set me straight. I just need people to talk to about this guys.

Actual things I do

- I absolutely refuse to play human, blood elf or night elf in WoW because they are too overplayed and I feel like a sheep when I play one.
    - I will not watch game of thrones because people do not shut up about it and it annoys me. applies to most everything else on tv too
    - I uninstalled pokemon go from my phone because too many people are playing it and i dont want to be associated with them
    - carnival is in my town right now and will be until saturday. Its very fun... I remember going as a kid. Will not be caught dead there anymore
    - refuse to smoke anything or vape or drink beer. Even if I wanted to, cannot bring myself to do it.
    - Wont even touch the radio. Current celebrities? literally can't name a breakout star or artist from 2015 or 2016. Didn't know who Drake was until recently because you cannot fathom the propensity of the fucks I do not give when it comes to popular people. Thought him and Drake Bell was the same person.
    - I will seriously break into a sweat and become a complete diva bitch if my friends or wife want me to go see a popular kids movie. Still haven't seen frozen, finding dory, nothing disney in years.
    - I used to like the band Arcade Fire. the day they won the Grammy for album of the year? Literally stopped listening to them that day.
    - Sold my X-box when all my friends (yes, friends) got one. No longer own any gaming consoles.
    I might be ignorant about it but... What's hipster about this list?

I'm not sure if its an actual mental illness.
    It's just your mind. Chill and enjoy what you enjoy.

Actual things I do

- I absolutely refuse to play human, blood elf or night elf in WoW because they are too overplayed and I feel like a sheep when I play one.
    Play Orc. Master Race.
    - I will not watch game of thrones because people do not shut up about it and it annoys me. applies to most everything else on tv too
    Fuck TV. Read the books they are much more immersive and interesting.
    - I uninstalled pokemon go from my phone because too many people are playing it and i dont want to be associated with them
    Don't like it? Don't play it.
    - carnival is in my town right now and will be until saturday. Its very fun... I remember going as a kid. Will not be caught dead there anymore
    Don't like it? Don't go.
    - refuse to smoke anything or vape or drink beer. Even if I wanted to, cannot bring myself to do it.
    Vodka/Weed
    - Wont even touch the radio. Current celebrities? literally can't name a breakout star or artist from 2015 or 2016. Didn't know who Drake was until recently because you cannot fathom the propensity of the fucks I do not give when it comes to popular people. Thought him and Drake Bell was the same person.
    'Burn a CD'
    - I will seriously break into a sweat and become a complete diva bitch if my friends or wife want me to go see a popular kids movie. Still haven't seen frozen, finding dory, nothing disney in years.
    Don't like it? Don't see it.
    - I used to like the band Arcade Fire. the day they won the Grammy for album of the year? Literally stopped listening to them that day.
    Bands get older and comercial. Find a new sound.
    - Sold my X-box when all my friends (yes, friends) got one. No longer own any gaming consoles.
    PC Master Race
    Simple.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Listen.

I suggest finding a tall mountain. Sit on that thing. Build a camp.

Then contemplate how your opinions and feelings aren't important.

Enjoy.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I know a lot of you are compassionless assholes
    You hit the nail on the head with that statement, especially *censored*.

Deleted
    I hate Disney 3d animated movies myself. I haven't watched ANY 3D animated movie they made EVER!
    These bastards killed off traditional animation and replaced it with shitty, cheap 3d graphics that make WoW look photo-realistic.

Its actually natural. its how fashion changes.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I have no clue who Drake Bell is or Arcade Fire. Oh, and "Drake" to me is the stupid sprite guy and asshat at sports events.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    No drinking and smoking? Jesus christ dude, once I got to that I thought "yeah this sounds like a mental disorder". Most people who don't take recreational substances do so because of their health, but you haven't even *tried* it?

Listen, I sometimes drink and smoke. I have some beers and watch game of thrones with my friends. I go to the gym and work out often. I used to play CoD back when it was super popular at school (and I still would if it didn't turn to shit). I play as Mario in super smash bros. I saw The Force Awakens on release weekend. I played Pokémon GO with friends when it came out and I quit playing when every one else quit playing. I play Fantasy Football.

I got into these activities because I was introduced to them by friends or family. I continued to do them because I enjoyed them or quit them when I stopped enjoying them. That doesn't change that there are still some unpopular things that I like and some popular things that I don't like. It doesn't fucking matter.

Sure there are definitely instances where popularity lessens the enjoyment of certain things. Buying a high end sports car, wearing a certain transmog, riding the bronze Drake (lol) , etc. But actively avoiding things that you know you might enjoy just because other people do? It's petty.

My brother has a small case of what you have, though not nearly as bad. I consider him somewhat close-minded. He is very often depressed and not able to fully enjoy things at face value. My advice to you is to do what you enjoy, and try to bond with those who enjoy it also. This is part of being human. Also, seeking help certainly wouldn't hurt. Best of luck.
    HEROES NEVER DIE