Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinsla View Post
    From the front page.

So, I guess that means we'll be back up to 10 million~ subs for Legion launch, since that was the WoD numbers, correct?

Well, I'm happy and this is good news for our game!
    Most don't preorder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    You must be joking? Casuals are what keeps this shell of an Action / Adventure game afloat. Blizzard nerfed RPG aspects already. Give a break to fans of RPG's.

WoW is no longer an RPG. Everything is cookie-cutter determined. Very little thought goes into character development nowadays.
    As soon as guides went on the internet it was that way.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Wha...? Legacy has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. The fact that you have the audacity to bring it up here is positively mind-boggling.
    Since Legion is proposed to include Legacy, or include Legacy as a future patch, It's valid.

Your post actually critiqued armchair analysts. If you want to doubt "vauge information", well, you opened the door. "Armchair" analysist indicate that Legacy is forthcoming, perhaps not at Legions expansion launch, but soon.

Blizzard flew team Nostalrius to their campus for a discussion. Only Blizzard can say "NO", something they did not say currently. Their PR department and webcast dev team may have said not at this time, but they don't speak for management. Management paid for Nostalrius to visit their campus, not devs, not web admins.

"Legion pre-purchases are tracking in-line with the previous expansion."

That doesn't mean much. If WoD sold 3 million and Legion sold 3 million, they'd be the same with sales. But if WoD started with 5 million players and went back to 8 million and Legion started with 3 million and only went to 6 million, then Legion isn't doing as well as many would hope.

If WoD ends with levels that haven't been seen since vanilla (and chances are it will since it already hit that before they stopped reporting subscription numbers), then Legion would have to sell MORE than WoD to bring numbers back up to where they were pre-WoD. Blizzard stated Legion is selling at roughly the same volume as WoD which means that Legion isn't bringing back the players like many thought it would.

The statement isn't really a good one, especially with what we know of the subscription numbers with WoD. It's fluff to appease investors but it's not as good as it first looks.

Since Legion is proposed to include Legacy, or include Legacy as a future patch, It's valid.

Your post actually critiqued armchair analysts. If you want to doubt "vauge information", well, you opened the door. "Armchair" analysist indicate that Legacy is forthcoming, perhaps not at Legions expansion launch, but soon.

Blizzard flew team Nostalrius to their campus for a discussion. Only Blizzard can say "NO", something they did not say currently. Their PR department and webcast dev team may have said not at this time, but they don't speak for management. Management paid for Nostalrius to visit their campus, not devs, not web admins.
    Dude, I don't even know how to respond to you since you're including so many completely untrue presumptions in your logic.

First and foremost: Legion has nothing to do with Legacy. There is absolutely no evidence Blizzard intended for Legion to include Legacy servers and there is even less proof that the two concepts are somehow intertwined. Further than that, I did nothing more than make an observation about the sheer number of people posting in this thread attempting to interpret vague information to support weak arguments. I said nothing about whether they were right or wrong, simply that I found it humorous that so many people can be assured of something as vague as a quarterly investor report. You're trying to manipulate an off-handed remark to fit your pro-Legacy agenda and quite frankly it's absolutely baffling.

This forum is not your soap box and it's distracting to the conversation as a whole for you to try to derail the topic with completely unrelated nonsense.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2016-08-05 at 03:11 AM. Reason: words and shit

Dude, I don't even know how to respond to you since you're including so many completely untrue presumptions in your logic.

First and foremost: Legion has nothing to do with Legacy. There is absolutely no evidence Blizzard intended for Legion to include Legacy servers and there is even less proof that the two concepts are somehow intertwined. Further than that, I did nothing more than make an observation about the sheer number of people posting in this thread using attempting to interpret vague information to support weak arguments. I said nothing about whether they were right or wrong, simply that I found it humorous that so many people can be assured of something as vague as a quarterly investor report. You're trying to manipulate an off-handed remark to fit your pro-Legacy agenda and quite frankly it's absolutely baffling.

This forum is not your soap box and it's distracting to the conversation as a whole for you to try to derail conversation with completely unrelated nonsense.
    Two concepts of Legions and Legacy go hand in hand, since this current WoW expansion is the one faced with a demand for retro counterpart. Calls for Vanilla existed for the past 6 years, but not to this level. Blizzard allowed discussions.

The meat of this thread was past expansions. TBC and WotLK is the bane here, since both expansions did extraordinarily well, with not only selling expansion packs, but also providing steady revenue during the course of the X-pac's duration. Something recent X-pacs can't provide, since players ditch the game after a couple months, like a collection box for used tampons.

Two concepts of Legions and Legacy go hand in hand, since this current WoW expansion is the one faced with a demand for retro counterpart. Calls for Vanilla existed for the past 6 years, but not to this level. Blizzard allowed discussions.
    WTF? How does Legion and Legacy go hand in hand at all? It is becoming comical the level of fantasy you are interpreting from a simple meeting between Blizzard and the Nost guys.

The meat of this thread was past expansions. TBC and WotLK is the bane here, since both expansions did extraordinarily well, with not only selling expansion packs, but also providing steady revenue during the course of the X-pac's duration. Something recent X-pacs can't provide, since players ditch the game after a couple months, like a collection box for used tampons.
    No the meat of this thread is Legion pre-purchases in comparison with WoD. Stop trying to derail with your Legacy bullshit. There is a megathread for it, keep it there.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    WTF? How does Legion and Legacy go hand in hand at all? It is becoming comical the level of fantasy you are interpreting from a simple meeting between Blizzard and the Nost guys.
    Blizzard paid the entire week Nostalrius stayed. They would not have considered this say, a year ago, or even 5 years ago. They consider it now. Their decision is fair game for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    No the meat of this thread is Legion pre-purchases in comparison with WoD. Stop trying to derail with your Legacy bullshit. There is a megathread for it, keep it there.
    OK. I'll think Legions will be worse than WoD. Legions is technically better, but there will be a smaller playerbase: those for, and those not so much. Offset by CRZ, granted, but CRZ only helps folks to think their dead servers actually have players. WoD was a disaster, much trust was lost.

I'll tend to think players want populated servers all year 'round .. not just once or twice every several years. (and not with complete strangers).
    Last edited by Vineri; 2016-08-05 at 03:55 AM.

First and foremost: Legion has nothing to do with Legacy. There is absolutely no evidence Blizzard intended for Legion to include Legacy servers and there is even less proof that the two concepts are somehow intertwined. Further than that, I did nothing more than make an observation about the sheer number of people posting in this thread attempting to interpret vague information to support weak arguments. I said nothing about whether they were right or wrong, simply that I found it humorous that so many people can be assured of something as vague as a quarterly investor report. You're trying to manipulate an off-handed remark to fit your pro-Legacy agenda and quite frankly it's absolutely baffling.

This forum is not your soap box and it's distracting to the conversation as a whole for you to try to derail the topic with completely unrelated nonsense.
    My advice, risking an infraction, is to not respond. This happens in every thread certain people enter and comment in, it's not worth it, this thread will degenerate into multiple pages of utter nonsense, which would be a shame, because it's been relatively civilized until they showed up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    "Overwatch has life-to-date revenue of about half a billion dollars."

And that's in, what, three months?

Overwatch could well be Blizzard's #1 earner this year.
    Yep - I'm sure a lot of that was box/download sales for the base game, but going from watching people I know who play, they buy a LOT of crates, as there's no stigma attached to them like in WoW or other games. Overwatch has a very healthy future ahead - and they've got Xmas sales coming up to boost that even higher, and invitational at Blizzcon that will expose a lot more people to the eSport aspect of it, and I'm sure new characters and maps.

That will be up against however many copies of Legion sell, which is pretty significant income, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.

Rofl
    This is like Hav0kk level of wishful thinking.

Blizzard spoke to Nost, more of a sign of goodwill and acknowledgement to their work and the passion for Classic

Legacy confirmed. Sadly it doesn't look very likely, considering that legacy realms would essentially be like maintaining standalone games. But to Legacy-advocates, it's just "Nost did it and Blizzard has billions"

Perhaps someone actually does have to work within the industry to understand how many lightyears apart official sanctioned Blizzard legacy realms, and a 1.12 emulation with a shitload of scripts, are apart from getting finalized and ready for players.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-08-05 at 06:58 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    The 2 mil rabid fanboys that preorder every expansion =/= the sub numbers.
    So people who preorder a game are a "rabid fanboy"? I mean, what does fanboy even mean to people like you at this point anymore? People anymore act like if someone likes something, that it's somehow a bad thing. I think the case with people who pre-order games is more that they aren't a teenager anymore, and earn more than 80 dollars a week, and can afford the "luxury" of buying a game early that they'd end up buying anyway. You know, the game that YOU will end up buying. People who say the word "fanboy" are putting on a pathetic act for the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    So people who preorder a game are a "rabid fanboy"? I mean, what does fanboy even mean to people like you at this point anymore? People anymore act like if someone likes something, that it's somehow a bad thing. I think the case with people who pre-order games is more that they aren't a teenager anymore, and earn more than 80 dollars a week, and can afford the "luxury" of buying a game early that they'd end up buying anyway. You know, the game that YOU will end up buying. People who say the word "fanboy" are putting on a pathetic act for the internet.
    People are getting judged by what they want and what they like? Always makes me laugh to even imagine how this could look like..Oh look he can afford what I can't, let's judge that person by his own choices!

The same number of fanboys always pre-order whatever the quality of the expansion. Nothing new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    This is a report to investors, you don't lie to investors, if you want them to continue investing anyway.
    Its also a felony.

Great to see. I have also been very upset with WoD and the way Blizzard handled things, especially the lack of content. I think WoD was very bad.

I am very optimistic about legion, though, having played beta I can say that it's a lot of fun and already so much better in any aspect than WoD. More content, better story, overall more appealing lore and great features.

I think that a lot of players will try Legion and like it and stick around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    Blizzard could release their own Pokemon Go app where you catch in game pets and charge 10 dollars for it and still have more players than Pokemon Go. Everything the company touches turns into gold.
    https://www.google.com/trends/explor...g%2F11bw4tm1l9

Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post
    Yeah, Hearthstone. Not Overwatch that generated half a billion in a mere 2 months
    Hearthstone generates nowhere near what WoW does. HS is running around $250 million/year, while WoW still brings in around $1 billion. What they lost is subs from their height at 12 million, they gained in microtransactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    What they lost is subs from their height at 12 million, they gained in microtransactions.
    What numbers are you concluding this from? I don't see anything like it. In fact, they themselves talk about WoW revenues consistently declining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    "Overwatch has life-to-date revenue of about half a billion dollars."

And that's in, what, three months?

Overwatch could well be Blizzard's #1 earner this year.
    Yes, but they have no continuous revenue stream at least for now - that 500 mil is from selling boxes. Well, boxes end, ask Diablo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Not really, no. Especially since WoD will be ending with lower numbers than MoP did so would have to sell much more than WoD did.
    Legion is 10 Dollar / Euro more expensive right?

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    What numbers are you concluding this from? I don't see anything like it. In fact, they themselves talk about WoW revenues consistently declining.

They have said not anything about revenue declining. Subs declining, yes. But they have been adding to microtransaction revenue in-game and via the shop that has made up for a lot of the loss of sub revenue.

To give you an idea, in 2013, WoW generated $1.04 billion in revenue. At that time subs were in decline, and it was the first year of Blizzard trying the microtransaction model. Of that $1.04 billion, $213 million was from microtransactions. The following year, with further declining sub numbers. microtransaction revenue increased. Now with an in-game store, and sub tokens, the trend continues.

I am sure their overall WoW revenue is down, but not nearly as bad as many would like to think.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post

Yes, but they have no continuous revenue stream at least for now - that 500 mil is from selling boxes. Well, boxes end, ask Diablo 3.
    Microtransactions. Loot boxes are selling very well.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2016-08-05 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Microtransactions. Loot boxes are selling very well.
    I don't see any splits published, so we have to reconstruct them. They said they made about $500 mil so far, and that they have 15 mil players. A box costs $40, give or take (depending on what market it is). $40 * 15 mil = $600 mil. That's their "about $500 mil".

Where are microtransactions? How large can they be? I am not seeing it. If I am missing something, do tell.