Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    I got a evo212 air cooler for £20, currently reporting as 20c with a max of 31 recorded. It is only an fx 6300 but the cooler is silent and solid. It is within a few c of the H80 in terms of performance.
    Don't forget to report ambient temps, I would like to see cooler keeping CPU below 30 with room temp at 40C
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Bingo.

Trying to squeeze as much life as I can of of my mobo.
    what type of amd board do you have? 970 or 990? The recommended type of board to handle a 9590 's TDP is a 990 Board theres only a few of them and they aren't cheap. That is the issue the cost of the 9590+new board+ Watercooler if yours isn't adequate would far outweigh say getting an intel board with an i5 which would be a better choice.

I think your best bet if you want to save money and not buy a new board is upgrade to an 8300,8320,8350 for significantly less money, re use your old cooler and board.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately this would be like your cheapest 9590 setup

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/s6cRVn

358 bucks. Many i5 configurations would be under 300 with a new board but that excludes new memory.
    Last edited by Packing an i5; 2016-08-05 at 03:43 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Why OC? I never really understood need for overclocking a CPU or GPU for another few HUNDRED mhz and in all reality, you do not notice that difference.
    If you overclock a 3GHz to 3.3GHz, that's a 10% increase.

You'll notice that. Etc etc etc

A lot of people took the 3.3GHz i5-2500K to 4.5~GHz and I'll let you do the math on that one. ^_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Why OC? I never really understood need for overclocking a CPU or GPU for another few HUNDRED mhz and in all reality, you do not notice that difference.
    In some games you will see a difference between say 3.3 - 4.2 GHz an extreme overclock. It can be as much as 15 fps but it depends on the cpu and the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If you overclock a 3GHz to 3.3GHz, that's a 10% increase.

You'll notice that. Etc etc etc

A lot of people took the 3.3GHz i5-2500K to 4.5~GHz and I'll let you do the math on that one. ^_<
    Remember it had a 3.7ghz turbo core(or was that when they started boosting all cores?)
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a Noctua-D15, it's an insanely good aircooler that will last you a LONG time and keeps the CPU at very low temps.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Deleted
    Well the only difference between Air and liquid cooler is the cleaning
    Both do equal works prety fine i`m using a AC pro freezer on OC AMD CPU and the cooler cant even get near 1500 rpm holding the temperature near 40-50C in gameplay in room where temperature is around 30C.But the big minus here is that if i want to clean the cooler i need to get the entire motherboard out of the box to can remove the cooler from the CPU my old one (pro freeser 7 i think) was used the motherboard plastic thingyes who dint survive for long (near 2 years) and when these get borke that massive cooler just F up my videocard and because my mom was on the computer the CPU also has gone so i end in totaly replacing MOBO VGA and CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Get a Noctua-D15, it's an insanely good aircooler that will last you a LONG time and keeps the CPU at very low temps.
    If you paid attention to the thread, the benchmarks of the silver arrow that I posted earlier show it within 1 degree of the NH-D15 with a decent OC and under Max Load with a stress test. In normal conditions, it performs right about the same. It's a very good cooler and right up there with the NH-D15 in performance and noise.

10+ Year Old Account
    From someone that actually water cools, I can tell you there's no particular advantage over air cooling when it comes to overclocking. The reason I water cool is to keep components cooler, to last longer. You might get a slight overclock advantage. It's also easy to work with compared to giant metal air coolers. Your case is far more open with a water cooler.

Deleted
    You don't. Buy good aircooler. Dark Rock 3 and Dark Rock Pro 3 are both fantastic.

I have DR3 and very low temps and it's extremely silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    You don't. Buy good aircooler. Dark Rock 3 and Dark Rock Pro 3 are both fantastic.

I have DR3 and very low temps and it's extremely silent.
    You should really read the OP and the thread before responding. He has a Thermalright Silver Arrow and benchmarks I posted show that it is within 1C of the Dark Rock 3 and Pro 3 with an OC and under Max stress test loads. In normal situations, it performs better. Why should he buy a cooler worse than the one he already has?

Here they are again since both you and the guy suggesting the NH-D15 apparently missed them:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...row_ITX/6.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shinji204 View Post
    Stock cooler sucks. I have a H100 or h100i on a 8150. Trust me you need it. Do not go air. You should also OC aswell
    Worst advice ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Remember it had a 3.7ghz turbo core(or was that when they started boosting all cores?)
    It was all, but still, that was setup where it only did that under a certain load, people who OC sometimes will make it always be at the OC or be really low idling, full OC under any load.

Regardless, the OC potential of CPUs can be pretty remarkable, see the CPU Overclocking thread in my signature, people were pushing 5GHz on the i5/i7 Sandy Bridge CPUs... That's no small feat and no small increase in raw power.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You should really read the OP and the thread before responding. He has a Thermalright Silver Arrow and benchmarks I posted show that it is within 1C of the Dark Rock 3 and Pro 3 with an OC and under Max stress test loads. In normal situations, it performs better. Why should he buy a cooler worse than the one he already has?

Here they are again since both you and the guy suggesting the NH-D15 apparently missed them:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...row_ITX/6.html
    Point stands. He doesn't need liquid cooling with good air cooler. There isn't so much difference and that's only when liquid cooling is also high end. He would need to literally squeeze everything he can through of to make it matter and often liquid cooling often is louder than top notch air coolers.

Ps,

DR3 worse? Maybe. Depends how you look at it. I like my PC ultra quiet since my wife sleeps next to me when I'm gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point stands. He doesn't need liquid cooling with good air cooler. There isn't so much difference and that's only when liquid cooling is also high end. He would need to literally squeeze everything he can through of to make it matter and often liquid cooling often is louder than top notch air coolers.

Ps,

DR3 worse? Maybe. Depends how you look at it. I like my PC ultra quiet since my wife sleeps next to me when I'm gaming.
    DR3 worse by such a small amount, and better by such a small amount in other circumstances, what he has DOES NOT need replacing.

I wish people would read some of the thread and the entire OP's post, before posting. -.-

He has one of the absolute best air coolers already.

The answer people should be saying is: "your current cooler will kick ass, don't worry about AIOs."

Done.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Didn't look at benchmark but it's obvious that even when given another AC if his is just as good or better and it's said he doesn't need liquid then... he doesn't need liquid which was the very point of the thread.

Well, the first benchmark showed it keeping it cooler undernormal uses an lo and behold, that same benchmark did noise levels too:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...row_ITX/7.html

The Silver Arrow is also quieter. So yeah, it's all around better.

Point was, you were suggesting he buy something that is around the same performance(actually a tiny bit worse) that what he already has.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't look at benchmark but it's obvious that even when given another AC if his is just as good or better and it's said he doesn't need liquid then... he doesn't need liquid which was the very point of the thread.
    Which is what I said from the start as well, then people started recommending he get a HN-D15 or Dark Rock when he already has an equivalent cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by MCO Readycheck View Post
    Worst advice ever.
    Nah. Worst advice I heard was to spread mayo on the motherboard to keep it cool.... I'm serious.

I personally find water AIO coolers to be more aesthetically pleasing, thus why I have the H100i. Air coolers have always looked bulky and ugly to me, but that's just my personal opinion.

My general advice on this matter would be: avoid AIO water coolers. If you have the budget and the need to go beyond air cooler capabilities look into custom loops (system custom loops, not processor), there are a lot of people who can build that for you. On a limited budget AIO water coolers are simply not worth it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B