Coming from mac to windows build

Hi All

Im looking to get a nice and cheap windows machine for overwatch and wow legion both in high settings under $1000 Australian.

So far im going with this, to be added to in the not too distant future.

INTEL CORE i5 6600 3.3Ghz Quad Core 6mb Cache SkyLake LGA1151 HSF Included $312.00
    MSI H170M PRO-VDH H170 Integrated Video D-Sub/DVI/HDMI DDR4 2133Mhz USB3.1 MICRO ATX $149.00
    CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX (16GB) 8GBx2 DDR4 CMK16GX4M2A2133C13R 2133mhz Matched Pair $109.00
    THERMALTAKE CA-3D4-45S1NA-00 VERSA H15 USB3.0 BLACK 450watt POWER Micro ATX $89.00
    SAMSUNG 250GB SSD 850 EVO Series MZ-75E250BW Read 540MB/s 2.5inch SATA3 6Gbs 97,000 IOPS $124.00
    WINDOWS 10 Home 64bit DVD Edition Microsoft OEM Terms and conditions apply $139.00
    Total 922.00

Prices are from my local parts store.
    I have a storage drive already.

Did i miss anything essential?
    Will the powersupply that comes in the case be enough? I will be adding a GPU probably GTX1060 soonish.

Recomendations on brands for the GTX1060 would be appreciated. (with the case i have chosen VGA length limitation: 315mm)

Cheers!
    Last edited by Fredau; 2016-08-05 at 06:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You picked micro ATX parts, are you building micro atx case?
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    You picked micro ATX parts, are you building micro atx case?
    Yeah that is the plan. I currently have an iMac so don't want to go from no case to a massive box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredau View Post
    Yeah that is the plan. I currently have an iMac so don't want to go from no case to a massive box.
    It's your choice, personally I don't like micro Mobos, since those have little expansion room, and PSU's are more expensive.

It's your choice, personally I don't like micro Mobos, since those have little expansion room, and PSU's are more expensive.
    All mATX cases, and even most ITX cases use standard ATX PSUs.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Actually it's perfectly feasible to build a machine that dual boots OSX and Windows. Also the WoW performance under OSX was dramatically improved with Bliz supporting Metal in the pre-patch.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/july/2016

Just find a thread on there where someone has built a machine as close as possible to your build and then follow the instructions.

You do need to be cautious about installing updates (let others do it first), but a lot of the time it's pretty painless to install them.

The one catch currently would be that there is no support for the 10X0 cards with Nvidia's web drivers, so you'll need to wait on those if you get one of them for the GPU.

... Micro ATX cases fit full size PSUs. Even most mITX cases use full size PSUs. Only a very few cases require SFX power supplies.

And... exactly what expansion room does the average user need?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    All mATX cases, and even most ITX cases use standard ATX PSUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    ... Micro ATX cases fit full size PSUs. Even most mITX cases use full size PSUs. Only a very few cases require SFX power supplies.

And... exactly what expansion room does the average user need?
    THERMALTAKE CA-3D4-45S1NA-00 VERSA H15 USB3.0 BLACK 450watt POWER Micro ATX $89.00

Isn't it non standard ATX PSU? If not then my bad.

The size of the motherboard does not determine what form factor PSU you use. The case does.

there ARE some small form factor PSUs (notably 1U and SFX) for specialized cases, but the vast majority of mATX and mITX cases fit full size PSUs. the few that dont almost all take SFX, with a VERY few custom (and usually have the PSU included, like the Hadron Air from EVGA) use 1U.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at it, that's not a custom sized PSU, its just included with the case. It looks like an SFX PSU, which is a standard that is compatible with ATX (its smaller than full ATX, but comes with a mounting plate so you can use it in regular cases).

It's a case specification.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B