Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charityx View Post
    I suggest you look into how artifact research works.
    Lol wtf does AK does to have with splitting your AP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kohz View Post
    Not really, if you consistently do Research Artifact Notes, the catch up Mechanic should fix that issue.
    Healing priests are expected to play both spec anyway like Charity mentioned.
    No we don't. You get 13 traits in both weapons. Then you go decide whether to go full disc or full holy. No point in taking a holy priest who didn't commit to its weapon and is now behind other healers in hps due to having less traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post

- - - Updated - - -

No we don't. You get 13 traits in both weapons. Then you go decide whether to go full disc or full holy. No point in taking a holy priest who didn't commit to its weapon and is now behind other healers in hps due to having less traits.
    You can keep multiple artifacts competitive past the 13 trait mark. You sacrifice a few traits for the flexibility to play the stronger spec on a given encounter. It's your choice whether you want to be fully optimal or flexible. With how in limbo the two specs are in terms of what's stronger in XYZ situation, I personally find it safer to have the option to play both competitively (at least until one is clearly stronger in the majority of cases). But you do you.
    Last edited by xdmemes; 2016-08-05 at 02:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think I decided to go shadow and brought in 2nd resto shaman?

Recruiting Officer of <Full Mongo> Stormrage-US
    Priest || Paladin || Mage || Shaman || Monk || Youtube

Well I don't know about Pottom's current opinion on disc, but a few weeks back when balancing was almost done he said in Vanions Podcast that he thinks that disc definitively has a raid spot in mythics. Sadly even he referred to something like: can't bring four, but 3 either, why not 3.5.

For all who want to look into that, it's almost in the end of the podcast.

Edit:
    You can keep multiple artifacts competitive past the 13 trait mark. You sacrifice a few traits for the flexibility to play the stronger spec on a given encounter. What's the remedy for a third tank who needs to maintain a DPS spec as well? Or a fire mage on an encounter where arcane is clearly superior? They've addressed all of this in the Q&As.
    Some time ago someone posted a nice spreadsheet how many artifacts you can keep on the same level and how many traits you would loose if you keep 2/3/4 at the same level etc.

Really good work he did there. Conclusion was something like: up to rank 30 you can keep 2 artifacts at the same level while not loosing a single rank on your main artifact.

I'll add the link later when I looked into it.
    Last edited by Immortalem; 2016-08-05 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohz View Post
    Not really, if you consistently do Research Artifact Notes, the catch up Mechanic should fix that issue.
    Healing priests are expected to play both spec anyway like Charity mentioned.
    There is no catch up mechanic in this sense. AK increases AP gained for everything. if you split you will always be behind.

What does have an effect similar to 'catchup' is the exponential increase in trait cost but if you spend 20k AP on both your artifacts and I spend 40k on one, I will be 20k AP ahead of you until the day I fill it out entirely.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Immortalem View Post
    Edit:

Some time ago someone posted a nice spreadsheet how many artifacts you can keep on the same level and how many traits you would loose if you keep 2/3/4 at the same level etc.

Really good work he did there. Conclusion was something like: up to rank 30 you can keep 2 artifacts at the same level while not loosing a single rank on your main artifact.

I'll add the link later when I looked into it.
    I saw that at one point. They specifically designed the system with this type of thing in mind, as they've mentioned countless times in the Q&As. If you want to go full speed ahead with your disc or holy artifact then more power to you, you just may regret it when the other spec becomes the go to, or is vastly superior on a given encounter.
    Last edited by xdmemes; 2016-08-05 at 02:23 PM.

I'd rather be 1-2 traits behind and have the flexibility to play the stronger spec on a given encounter. What's the remedy for a third tank who needs to maintain a DPS spec as well? Or a fire mage on an encounter where arcane is clearly superior? Literally all of this has been addressed in the Q&As.
    Sure, depending on where you're at it's 2-4 trait difference between going all in vs split. Now you have also split your legendaries, relics and items (mastery vs haste). I don't see the reason why'd you go holy though since disc isn't exceptionally horrible at any fight (well being below 90% hps which is expected). On the other hand if you really need the disc dps in the dps checks, as a holy priest you're fucked in your mastery gear which gives no dps value and now you also have low haste which makes your healing even worse than normal disc hps. At this point you're probably just better off having spent 13 traits in disc and have 5% less dps than going full split.

This is the issue every dps class faces. It's going to be a major pain in the butt to split your artifact, legendary farm, relics and items. Maybe in this case the AP is the least of the issue.

From my experience on Beta, AP will only really have a significant impact the first couple weeks of Mythic raiding, then AK will kick in and things will normalize more or less. The biggest struggle will definitely be legendaries, especially for priest when only 1-2 are useful for each spec. There's a large chance that you will get a legendary that is useless, and even if you get lucky and get one that is strong for one of the specs, it will essentially be a stat stick for the other. I've actually heard some high end guilds will be running alts of the same class to "fish" for useful legendaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Helelos View Post
    What is the general consensus on Disc viability in Mythic raids? I'm hearing mixed opinions from different sources.
    I haven't tested any raids on beta, but I think it's safe to assume they're going to follow similar healing patterns to previous tiers- some predictable bursty healing fights, some constant aoe healing fights, some team fucked up and now it hurts fights.

One of the reasons that I think disc will definitely have a niche this tier is that both druids and shamans now have to make choices between some of their throughput cds and some arguably better talents that augment consistent raid healing. My experience with mythic raiding this tier was that bubble spamming made low to medium damage parts of fights pretty boring for our hot-healers, but they made up ground during high damage phases. I think being able to burst on a 1 min cd will fill in some of the gaps- like shamans not having two spirit links or baseline ascendance anymore. Unfortunately it's kind of hard to see how this works in pre-patch because mythic fights die pretty fast and they're all two healable.

Quote Originally Posted by Helelos View Post
    I don't see the advantage or niche of playing Holy other than "it does slightly more healing than Disc".
    Do you see an advantage of having a holy priest damaging when dps is needed and then healing when healing is needed? I've seen holy priests do pretty good DPS on beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin
    Those who can articulate their points properly and thus show show they actually spent some time on the topic?
    Verbosity has no relationship to substance whatsoever, unlike how you seem to make it out to be. If I posted a thousand page verbal diarrhea, it's still verbal diarrhea.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Verbosity has no relationship to substance whatsoever, unlike how you seem to make it out to be. If I posted a thousand page verbal diarrhea, it's still verbal diarrhea.
    Would what you are describing there count as "articulate their points properly" in your book?
    Because that would explain your posting style of attacking everything and anyone blindly with ad hominems.

And just to clarify: A properly articulated point is one that is short, precise, and logically sound with proper foundation in facts if necessary.
    It does not rely on the visibility and reputation of the one making it, nor on how well they can shout or snark.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2016-08-06 at 09:30 AM.

With all of this bickering it's tough to get a productive conversation going..

From reading this thread and forum carefully over the last few months, it seems very few people actually care about good conversation. They care about measuring their epeens and arguing over nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flay- View Post
    With all of this bickering it's tough to get a productive conversation going..
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleReady View Post
    From reading this thread and forum carefully over the last few months, it seems very few people actually care about good conversation. They care about measuring their epeens and arguing over nothing.
    Yeah, and making these non-constructive whine posts about it is totally going to make people start "good conversation".

We're just in a bit of a limbo state here, due to not everyone having Beta access, and Legion still being 3 weeks away. Once we're all at 110 and actually doing endgame content, then the discussion will really pick up.

My post is a complaint about the status of a forum I used to frequent for advice about a class I enjoy. I am not sorry that what I say rubs you wrong or you deem non constructive. To me it's very constructive. Tell me why I should respect this community.

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleReady View Post
    My post is a complaint about the status of a forum I used to frequent for advice about a class I enjoy. I am not sorry that what I say rubs you wrong or you deem non constructive. To me it's very constructive. Tell me why I should respect this community.
    A great topic for another thread: My Internet Ego and why I must defend it

I'm wondering about mana management. How do you gauge the amount of smite spam you do between your raid burst healing? Is it just a matter of experience with each encounter to know your mana limits?

Quote Originally Posted by cruxxy View Post
    A great topic for another thread: My Internet Ego and why I must defend it

I'm wondering about mana management. How do you gauge the amount of smite spam you do between your raid burst healing? Is it just a matter of experience with each encounter to know your mana limits?
    Always follow the Always Be Casting rule. I've just been keeping 2-4 atonements up on people that i know will take damage and just keep DPS'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Always follow the Always Be Casting rule.
    Do not be in the habit of doing this. It is actually a very, very bad idea once we get into Legion to assume that casting something is better than casting nothing. The new mana model forces casting nothing sometimes so that you can cast something later. This is no longer a rule that applies to healing after 7.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Do not be in the habit of doing this. It is actually a very, very bad idea once we get into Legion to assume that casting something is better than casting nothing. The new mana model forces casting nothing sometimes so that you can cast something later. This is no longer a rule that applies to healing after 7.0.
    I was speaking to pre patch where mana is definitely not an issue. However in legion totem is correct. Although i'm curious of how much casting we'll be able to get away in "Down" time.