Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well Stien and Johnson are going to have a case of the sads today.

Judge rejects third parties’ suit against debate commission

A federal judge has tossed out a lawsuit alleging that the Commission on Presidential Debates violated federal antitrust laws and the First Amendment by excluding third-party candidates.

In a ruling Friday, U.S. District Court Judge Rosemary Collyer dismissed a suit filed last year by the Libertarian and Green parties as well their respective 2012 presidential nominees, former New Mexico Republican Gov. Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Each also happens to be his or her party's presidential nominee again this year.

Collyer's ruling found little, if any, merit in the suit. She said antitrust law had no relevance to the situation and many of the ills the plaintiffs complained of were of their own making, not the debate commission.

"Plaintiffs in this case have not alleged a non-speculative injury traceable to the Commission," wrote Collyer, who was appointed by President George W. Bush. "Plaintiffs’ alleged injuries are wholly speculative and are dependent entirely on media coverage decisions. The alleged injuries––failure to receive media coverage and to garner votes, federal matching funds, and campaign contributions—were caused by the lack of popular support of the candidates and their parties sufficient to attract media attention."

Collyer also seemed to bless the commission's general policy of requiring that candidates receive at least 15% support in national polls to participate in the debates.

"It is obvious that Defendants did not cause Plaintiffs’ alleged harms when the sequence of events is examined: Plaintiffs’ injuries occurred before Defendants failed to invite them to participate in the 2012 debates because the lack of an invitation was due to Plaintiffs’ failure to satisfy the 15% Provision, i.e., the failure to obtain sufficient popular support. Plaintiffs have not alleged a concrete injury traceable to the Commission, and thus they lack standing," the judge added.

Collyer said the situation paralleled a similar, unsuccessful suit filed by New Alliance Party presidential candidate Lenora Fulani after she was excluded from the 1988 debates.

The judge said the First Amendment claims in the suit were invalid because the commission is a private entity and only government institutions have First Amendment obligations. President Barack Obama and 2012 GOP presidential nominee and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney were also named as defendants in the case, but Collyer found no basis for the claims against them or any of the other defendants.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-...#ixzz4GTJArxAy
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A vote for Jill is a vote for Trump. Well, it's like not voting at all. And if things get bad and she wins a state like Vermont, she could put Trump in office if things are close.
    Yea how dare people vote for who they want and not for who a small group of elite corrupt 1%'ers decided over 8 years ago who's "turn" it was to be Emperor.

/eyeroll
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Stein is pretty awful on vaccines. Here's one of the things she said that irritated me:
    "I think there’s no question that vaccines have been absolutely critical in ridding us of the scourge of many diseases — smallpox, polio, etc. So vaccines are an invaluable medication," Stein said. "Like any medication, they also should be — what shall we say? -- approved by a regulatory board that people can trust. And I think right now, that is the problem. That people do not trust a Food and Drug Administration, or even the CDC for that matter, where corporate influence and the pharmaceutical industry has a lot of influence."
    Another:
    In most countries, people trust their regulatory agencies and have very high rates of vaccination through voluntary programs. In the US, however, regulatory agencies are routinely packed with corporate lobbyists and CEOs. So the foxes are guarding the chicken coop as usual in the US. So who wouldn’t be skeptical?
    So, I guess she's not explicitly anti-vaccine, but this stance that the FDA and CDC are totally pushing out unsafe vaccines is pretty ridiculous. At a bare minimum, I think she's pandering to the paranoia that scientifically illiterate people often have.
    From the above link:
    It seems that between 4:54PM and 4:59PM—@twitersgoodboy confirmed the legitimacy of the screenshots—Stein revised her response from “There’s no evidence that autism is caused by vaccines” to “I’m not aware of evidence linking autism with vaccines.”
    She's really kind of an asshole on this topic. Playing footsy with anti-science loons doesn't speak well of her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Yea how dare people vote for who they want and not for who a small group of elite corrupt 1%'ers decided over 8 years ago who's "turn" it was to be Emperor.

/eyeroll
    It's almost as if these people don't have about 4 other elections during the cycle to influence the parties to move in a direction they wish for instead of staying at home, then crying every 4 years when their candidate isn't chosen.

It's a two party system, built from the ground up to be choice a or choice b which is either Hillary or Trump. You want a Stein or Johnson type running for president in the big party, vote for candidates at local/state level for those that represent the views and play the long term game. Short term throwing dummy out isn't going to get you anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    Anti-mormon bigot eh? Not surprised.
    Mormons believe a lot of really weird shit. That Romney wasn't pressed on whether he wears magic underwear, whether Joe Smith found literal gold plates, or what his thoughts on Kolob are shows how ridiculously deferential to goofy religious beliefs the American media establishment is. Noticing that someone believes super weird things isn't being a "bigot".

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It's almost as if these people don't have about 4 other elections during the cycle to influence the parties to move in a direction they wish for instead of staying at home, then crying every 4 years when their candidate isn't chosen.

It's a two party system, built from the ground up to be choice a or choice b which is either Hillary or Trump. You want a Stein or Johnson type running for president in the big party, vote for candidates at local/state level for those that represent the views and play the long term game. Short term throwing dummy out isn't going to get you anywhere.
    Bad design.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Mormons believe a lot of really weird shit. That Romney wasn't pressed on whether he wears magic underwear, whether Joe Smith found literal gold plates, or what his thoughts on Kolob are shows how ridiculously deferential to goofy religious beliefs the American media establishment is. Noticing that someone believes super weird things isn't being a "bigot".
    Every religion believes in weird shit. Every single one. Because someone is a Mormon is meaningless to their ability to be President. To suggest otherwise is quite simply bigoted nonsense. And that is why he is a bigot and you are too or anyone else is if you believe being a Mormon makes you any less capable of being President than being of any other religion.

Every religion believes in weird shit. Every single one. Because someone is a Mormon is meaningless to their ability to be President. To suggest otherwise is quite simply bigoted nonsense. And that is why he is a bigot and you are too or anyone else is if you believe being a Mormon makes you any less capable of being President than being of any other religion.
    Why are religious beliefs the one area of personal ideas that should be exempt from examination in the political sphere, in your view?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Why are religious beliefs the one area of personal ideas that should be exempt from examination in the political sphere, in your view?
    Was I not clear? They are meaningless to one's ability to be president or not. And I will not continue to divert from the threads actual topic any longer.

Was I not clear? They are meaningless to one's ability to be president or not. And I will not continue to divert from the threads actual topic any longer.
    No, you were not clear at all. I understand why you'd like to evade a straightforward question though.

Every religion believes in weird shit.
    Weird shit? Weird shit?! The Cult of Mormon didn't earn itself death-flags in the original American confederacy prior to the Second Constitutional Congress because of "weird shit." They didn't get themselves exiled to Utah because of "weird shit." Institutionalized sex trafficking? Pedophile incest harems? No Mormon should ever be as near to the seat of power as Romney was. EVER.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

He's an admitted rapist. He gave the woman a few hundred dollars because he felt bad about it. Nothing he says should surprise you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm not sure magic underwear is relevant to the office unless you have some reason to be worried he'll require everyone to wear them. It's not as if any of these religions are fundamentally less kooky and it's likely impossible to get elected as an atheist right now, let alone create a situation where religious beliefs make one unfit for office in the public eye.
    To be clear, I wouldn't vote for anyone that followed the kooky customs of any religion. I find religions tolerable in elected leaders only to the extent that the leader in question doesn't actually believe their religion. Thankfully, this seems to be the majority of politicians.

Checking on the literal gold plates parts of things seems relevant to me - it goes directly to the individual's capacity to discern obvious bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    I know its cool to hate her and believe everything in the media about her and Trump but you have to be completely fuckin stupid to not realize that Hillary is by far the the most qualified candidate in the running this year.
    If that makes me stupid, then you are a incompetent imbecile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    When Trump wins my family and I will be immigrating legally to America.
    This is the problem with people. Everyone assumes that coming legally to the United States is just a matter of filling the forms out and boom, you're in. If you wait to apply for visas and then apply for citizenship only if Trump wins, you probably won't even be here by the time he leaves office. The process takes years and thousands of dollars. It took my father like 12 years to finally become a citizen, and that was coming from Ireland. And during that 12 years, on 2 separate occasions, he had to leave and go back to Ireland because extending his work visa got messed up. So he had to start fresh not only the first time he came, but each time after because he lost his job because his paperwork didn't go through properly. And even if the paperwork does go through, they can revoke it for any reason at any time before you are a citizen.

Immigration needs a drastic overhaul. And people wonder why they cross the boarders illegally, which truth be told doesn't happen anywhere near as much as people believe it does.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    If that makes me stupid, then you are a incompetent imbecile.
    Oh yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad yadda yadda yadda...whatever. Non of the candidates are worth a shit at all, but of the four in the race, she is the most qualified, period. That doesnt make her a dream candidate or anything, just better suited to the job than the other three.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Oh yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad yadda yadda yadda...whatever. Non of the candidates are worth a shit at all, but of the four in the race, she is the most qualified, period. That doesnt make her a dream candidate or anything, just better suited to the job than the other three.
    If qualified means being a typical corrupt politician then sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    How amusing. No my reply was that your claim that the CNN poll decided not to put the 18-34 years olds in their poll was total and utter bullshit. Sort of like this post I am replying to. Now it's clear you didn't come up with that idea on your own and were simply regurgitating someone elses ignorance. Specifically that they weren't included in the poll because in the cross-tabs they show NA for that age group. And as I showed they weren't in the cross-tab because their sample size was too small and as such they could not produce a case with a sampling error below 8.5%. But their responses were still in the poll.

Secondly I said nothing about Fox news is right wing. That's quite simply a lie from you. I specifically said "I would imagine your claim for Fox is just as accurate". In fact Fox has pulled their polling shit together after a well earned reputation of being horrible.

And now you are on to conspiracy theories. Since Fox produced a poll that shows the short fingered vulgarian behind by 10 points are the they part of this conspiracy?

Next on your nonsense. I never said I was supporting Hillary at all. That's yet another lie from you. I specifically said that Stein had lost my vote as a result of the anti-vax nonsense and I was writing in Vermin Supreme. Is there a reason you feel this need to lie?

And now I am an illegal alien or know some? Nope. I am an American and know no illegal aliens. Want to make up some more shit? Perhaps I am from another planet helping to destroy America before we invade and take over the world?

LOL. Immigrating to America are you if Trump wins. At this point I wouldn't be packing any boxes if I were you. But of course even if he wins unless you have family, job or coming to study you ain't getting in.

And LongRoom Unbiased? LOL. President Romney says hi.

- - - Updated - - -

Anti-religion more like it. Keep going with those buzzwords though.

Also now I am at home I can link this and this as a good enough explanation without exerting actual effort with arguing to you. I thought your vermin supreme meant you were voting for Hillary though. So you are just going to waste your time lining up to literally write in 'Vermin Supreme' to be some sort of edge lord? K then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    This is the problem with people. Everyone assumes that coming legally to the United States is just a matter of filling the forms out and boom, you're in. If you wait to apply for visas and then apply for citizenship only if Trump wins, you probably won't even be here by the time he leaves office. The process takes years and thousands of dollars. It took my father like 12 years to finally become a citizen, and that was coming from Ireland. And during that 12 years, on 2 separate occasions, he had to leave and go back to Ireland because extending his work visa got messed up. So he had to start fresh not only the first time he came, but each time after because he lost his job because his paperwork didn't go through properly. And even if the paperwork does go through, they can revoke it for any reason at any time before you are a citizen.

Immigration needs a drastic overhaul. And people wonder why they cross the boarders illegally, which truth be told doesn't happen anywhere near as much as people believe it does.
    Citizenship takes time, residency is easier however in the interim. Especially when I have the money to buy a home and a business that meets the requirements to immigrate in that manner.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Anti-religion more like it. Keep going with those buzzwords though.

Also now I am at home I can link this and this as a good enough explanation without exerting actual effort with arguing to you. I thought your vermin supreme meant you were voting for Hillary though. So you are just going to waste your time lining up to literally write in 'Vermin Supreme' to be some sort of edge lord? K then.
    I do love to watch you not only double down but triple down on posting someone elses ignorance. As I have pointed out three times now, there was no removal of the 18-34 poll results. They as they explained below excluded cross tab results which had a sampling error over 8.5 percent. Their voting preferences were still counted. Do you even know what cross-tabs are? Do you even understand how they calculate them? Do you know what sampling error means?

"Crosstabs on the following pages only include results for subgroups with enough unweighted cases to produce a sampling
    error of +/- 8.5 percentage points or less. Some subgroups represent too small a share of the national population to produce
    crosstabs with an acceptable sampling error. Interviews were conducted among these subgroups, but results for groups
    with a sampling error larger than +/-8.5 percentage points are not displayed and instead are denoted with "NA"."

I know you will not understand the above as I have explained it three times now but you really are looking quite foolish by sticking to this silly conspiracy nonsense. It ranks right up there with your "unskewed" polls.

Edge Lord? Not quite. Simply registering a protest vote.