Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynny View Post
    I mean seriously, WTF? Who the hell taught you that 20 over is no big deal? I mean WTF? If I ever got a ticket for going 20 over when I was first starting to drive my parents would've taken away my license. And this isn't some responsible driving thing or anything like that, it was because we were fucking poor and couldn't afford tickets like that. I mean seriously WTF, is this actually something considered to be no big deal or what because that's way fucking over the speed limit.
    You kind of contracted yourself there. If a ticket for going 20 over was only big a deal because you guys couldn't afford the ticket then if you CAN afford it, it's no big deal. It's definitely not something that requires more than an on the spot ticket, an actual arrest is going way over board.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Yes, they're still citizens. They may be the most vile scum of the country that they're in, but they're still citizens of it.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not? There's would be ex-felons (if they lacked the government connections) running for office all the damn time.

Being a felon is a choice. No, they should not be allowed to vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    Yes, they're still citizens. They may be the most vile scum of the country that they're in, but they're still citizens of it.
    Should they be allowed to own guns? Should child molesters be allowed to go to parks, or work at schools?

Either a man (or a woman) is a danger to society or they are not. You either paid your debt or you didn't.

If they cannot be trusted to vote, own a gun, or are barred from numerous types of work, then they probably should be kept locked up.

My only compromise on this subject would be violent felonies. Fuck those guys, you could dump them on some island like the movie No Escape (not that new one, the old one with Ray Liotta) for all I personally care.

Too many people in this thread have no idea what laws are enforced in which states and what the definition of ex- felon are, hence this discussion is a turd in the bowl, just flush it. I know this is the internet, but can't some of you do 1 minute of research before throwing out your opinion.......hahahaha forgot i was on the junior huffington post. Go back to your baseless arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they can't vote, they shouldn't pay any taxes. Pretty sure America had a war about taxation without representation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Violent criminals shouldn't be allowed to vote or own guns unless they can prove that they are reformed and no longer a danger to the public.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    Being a felon is a choice. No, they should not be allowed to vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Should they be allowed to own guns? Should child molesters be allowed to go to parks, or work at schools?
    If they're still a threat to society why are they out of prison?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Violent criminals shouldn't be allowed to vote or own guns unless they can prove that they are reformed and no longer a danger to the public.
    Even if they are a danger to the public, how is their voting a threat? Are we worried that with our high incarceration rates, we may produce so many non-voting felons that, if we did give them the right to vote, they would tear down the system? Or that they'd just vote to make murder legal? I think the latter is a silly argument and the former begs some poignant questions about our country.

Geee...somehow I don't see that as terrible.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Those two things have nothing to do with each other. Your sentence is generally an arbitrary term to punish you for the crime you committed. It is not related to your future propensity to commit crimes. Plenty of people are released who are still threats. I'm looking at all rapists/child molesters. If it were up to me those people would at the least be fully castrated if not killed, but it isn't up to me. And yet they are still released, and re-offend.

So by going off the logic of the thread, the felon did their time and should be given all their rights back? Outstanding let's apply that to those that commited acts of domestic violence and give them right to own firearms again. You know since they did their time. Fair is fair right?
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    If they can demonstrate the ability to handle it over years of work being monitored. Naturally, it would be a case by case relevance depending on the nature and offense the crime they commit.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    So by going off the logic of the thread, the felon did their time and should be given all their rights back? Outstanding let's apply that to those that commited acts of domestic violence and give them right to own firearms again. You know since they did their time. Fair is fair right?
    Well in a nutshell, that is sort of the idea.

Did they pay their debt to society or did they not?

Now I am not oppose to keeping rights suppressed while under parole.

However, once they have served their prison time and their parole has been satisified, why shouldn't we?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Precisely, that is the point of being in prison in the first place. If they couldn't be trusted as such, then why are they let out?

If not trusting them was the case, then the whole point of prison time is redundant.
    ~~ ~~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Even if they are a danger to the public, how is their voting a threat? Are we worried that with our high incarceration rates, we may produce so many non-voting felons that, if we did give them the right to vote, they would tear down the system? Or that they'd just vote to make murder legal? I think the latter is a silly argument and the former begs some poignant questions about our country.

Geee...somehow I don't see that as terrible.
    I'm actually more worried about letting them have guns. That's also why I stipulated a procedure to get their voting rights back.

yes, and everyone should have to vote or be fined heavily. mandatory paid day off work nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I'm actually more worried about letting them have guns. That's also why I stipulated a procedure to get their voting rights back.
    In the real world people who vote are a bigger danger to society than guns. Well, in my opinion at least. haha

yes, once your debt to society is paid you should be able to vote. telling ex felons they cant vote is like saying if you dont have a college degree or are a woman you cant vote

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    In the real world people who vote are a bigger danger to society than guns. Well, in my opinion at least. haha
    Regular people, sure. Convicted violent criminals? I would rather they were never allowed to have guns again.