Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Those are a blight upon society should have no voice in deciding how society is run.
    Statements like this are what keep recidivism rates high. People are better rehabilitated back into society if they are treated like regular citizens.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Either a man (or a woman) is a danger to society or they are not. You either paid your debt or you didn't.

If they cannot be trusted to vote, own a gun, or are barred from numerous types of work, then they probably should be kept locked up.

My only compromise on this subject would be violent felonies. Fuck those guys, you could dump them on some island like the movie No Escape (not that new one, the old one with Ray Liotta) for all I personally care.
    PART of paying that debt is losing certain rights that every one else has. Not voting IS paying that debt.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Statements like this are what keep recidivism rates high. People are better rehabilitated back into society if they are treated like regular citizens.
    I'm not oppose to this idealism, the only problem I see is when LaQueefa has been arrested and her rap sheet is 2 pages long with 30 arrest spanning the last decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Do you want the school shooter who mowed down 30 kids and teachers to vote for a candidate advocating for looser gun restriction?
    I don't want regular American's voting for Donald Trump either.

Doesn't mean I support taking their right away. If said shooter did his time and was released (anyone mowing down 30 kids and teachers is going to be gone for life, but lets just go with it . . .) then yeah, he gets his right to vote, and to vote as he choses.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    If they can't vote, they shouldn't pay any taxes. Pretty sure America had a war about taxation without representation.
    They forfeited their voice in choosing representation by being a felon, they still use services provided by taxes ergo they still pay taxes.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I don't want regular American's voting for Donald Trump either.

Doesn't mean I support taking their right away. If said shooter did his time and was released (anyone mowing down 30 kids and teachers is going to be gone for life, but lets just go with it . . .) then yeah, he gets his right to vote, and to vote as he choses.
    ^Essentially this. Those that have done the worst are already in for the duration (which is usually a life sentence), so that automatically weeds them out to begin with.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by twelvethirty View Post
    yes, once your debt to society is paid you should be able to vote. telling ex felons they cant vote is like saying if you dont have a college degree or are a woman you cant vote
    NO, it isnt.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    They forfeited their voice in choosing representation by being a felon, they still use services provided by taxes ergo they still pay taxes.
    You do know that several countries were founded by criminals, right? The US being the one that stands out in that count.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    You do know that several countries were founded by criminals, right? The US being the one that stands out in that count.
    Criminals from the crown, yes, criminals in the sense of murderers and rapists, no. Beyond that, whats your point? Our laws say that if you are a felon you lose the right to vote, its not EXTRA punishment, its just PART of the punishment.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    of course they should still be able to vote, especially when it comes to stupid crimes such as drug possession ,people should be able to vote for drug decriminalisation in order not just to avoid jail but also ensure no else will be punished for possessing a regulated amount of drugs for personal use. The war on drugs is a failed and counterproductive effort that will never worked that's why it should end by being able to vote for it

10+ Year Old Account
    Disenfranchising felons is an antiquated practice from an era you had to be a rich white man to vote and all sorts of games were played to keep outsiders out the political system. Theres no reason for it to exist except for "thats how it was always done". Whats to fear? That the felon will vote against the whatever legislature was in office at the time they were thrown in jail?

You honestly don't have to worry about the ones who bother voting anyway.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Criminals from the crown, yes, criminals in the sense of murderers and rapists, no. Beyond that, whats your point? Our laws say that if you are a felon you lose the right to vote, its not EXTRA punishment, its just PART of the punishment.
    I'm talking about the founding fathers of the United States. All of them committing high-treason and larceny among many other things before openly rebelling. Still, it's a founding principle of the country.

That said, outright murder generally carries a life sentence (at the least, many decades of one's life). So, that shoots down that argument of yours. Secondly, rapists automatically get on the sex offender registry for life. So, that settles your other example.
    ~~ ~~

10+ Year Old Account
    PART of paying that debt is losing certain rights that every one else has. Not voting IS paying that debt.
    WHEN YOU'RE IN PRISON.

Once a felon has completed their sentence then their rights should be restored.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    WHEN YOU'RE IN PRISON.

Once a felon has completed their sentence then their rights should be restored.
    ^ This too. The loss of voter rights after being in prison is a redundant punishment.
    ~~ ~~

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I'm not oppose to this idealism, the only problem I see is when LaQueefa has been arrested and her rap sheet is 2 pages long with 30 arrest spanning the last decade.
    The US prison system breeds criminality. What do you expect someone from prison to do when they are released from prison and treated like second class citizens? They have reduced rights, they're treated like scum (see half the posts in this thread), and can't find a job. Of course people are going to reoffend when they're ostracized to the degree that they are in american society.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Those are a blight upon society should have no voice in deciding how society is run.

No voting for felons, ever.

Trying to make it a race issue is extra fucking stupid as well.

Its funny how certain people don't want to talk about the connection between race and crime unless there's a way to spin it as "those wascally wepublicans are being wacist".
    So you assume that all felons are a blight on the community? I'm a convicted felon and make close to six figures, I have a family all my bills are paid up I have great credit . I donate to local charities and do what I can for my community. Not every felon is a bad person you would be surprised how many are around you and you would never know it. I know most of the people I work around have no clue and would not believe it even if someone told them, And with all this I still cannot vote even though I still pay taxes just like everyone else and contribute positively to the community.

You can't put a blanket statement like that over all of them when there are so many that are successful and contribute positively.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    So you assume that all felons are a blight on the community? I'm a convicted felon and may close to six figures, I have a family all my bills are paid up I have great credit . I donate to local charities and do what I can for my community. Not every someon not every felon is a bad person you would be surprised how many are around you and you would never know it. I know most of the people I work around have no clue and would not believe it even if someone told them, And with all this I still cannot vote even though I still pay taxes just like everyone else and contribute positively to the community.

You can't put a blanket statement like that over all of them when there are so many that are successful and contribute positively.
    Can I ask what you did?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

How many people here are felons saying they should be able to vote? Laws are pretty basic, don't break them. If something is illegal at the moment don't do it. Losing your right to vote is a VERY minor loss to most felons. I am not a felon but I know many of them given my profession. I will never, ever understand these kinds of arguments until I die. Nothing in life is ever free. Committing a felony; whether it be small or capital murder is a serious offence. That's why they are FELONIES.. You forfeit certain rights by performing such horrible acts. This website is almost entirely full of young, liberals with no pot to piss in. Let alone enough accumulative knowledge or life experience to form any sort of educated opinion on matters such as these.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    How do you know what people in prison "give a fuck" about? Do people in prison not have loved ones? Do the laws of their country still not impact them when they're released? Do the laws of their country not impact them while not imprisoned?
    Because I've spent time in a mixed pop trial prison. When you first get arrested, you are in lockup, you go to court and don't get bailed out, or get remanded into custody, you go to a trial prison and remain there until you are sentenced. Then you are usually shipped out based on your security status to another prison once you are sentenced.

People in prison are more concerned with high scores on nintendo DS games, commissary, going outside, and getting hot water to make food in their cells in 23 hour lock down situations. Even when you are in dorm style prison setting, noone gives a shit about what's happening on the outside, especially politics. The only people that really care about the outside are long time rehabilitated felons who have had 10-20 years to make a pipe dream. They don't give 2 shits about who's running for politics, all they are care about is staying sober, living in a stable environment, and hopefully keeping out of trouble.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I say they should. They have paid their price to society, no matter how much they have changed, their voices will never be heard in the public arena. Depriving ex-felons of the right to vote alienates certain minorities, who have the deck stacked against them to begin with in the justice system.

Depriving ex-felons of the right to vote gives an unfair advantage to the Republican party. This is because the poor and African Americans tend to vote Democratic.

Disenfranchisement of ex-felons amounts to extra punishment, other Democratic countries do not do this.

Thoughts?
    YES! When you are out of prison, you should not be denied your democratic rights, since you have served your punishment. It is really an insane law, since it makes you a 2nd hand citizen, when you have been in prison..... And like 1½% of all Americans have been in prison, so that are many people, who are not allowed to vote O.o
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.