10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a new power supply

This is my current one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

Bought it back in '11 and it's quite old but still kickin'. Though I am looking for a similar power supply for my rig in case something happens to it. Needs molex support since my case fans all use it. Been looking around but am unsure. At least 750w preferred.

Edit: Unless I'm just dumb and can find an exact same one elsewhere. I'm not really power supply savvy so forgive me for any noobishness.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2016-08-06 at 05:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Wait, why again do you need a new one?

This PSU is pretty bad. Not sure why you need 750W though, can you post your full build?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Wait, why again do you need a new one?
    Don't quite need a new one but I am looking for a new one in case this one dies I suppose. It's a bit old and dusty and I am a bit wary about dusting it out because I've had friends' PSUs short out in the past after dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    This PSU is pretty bad. Not sure why you need 750W though, can you post your full build?
    Behold my very old '11 rig that direly needs updating and I'm slowly getting around to it:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.48 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ B&H)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Total: $481.22
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-06 02:52 EDT-0400

I suppose I don't need 750w either now that I think about it. I'm intending on probably just getting an entirely new build such as the Unicorn or Narwhal on build of the month, but was looking for a power supply in case this one craps out before then. Apologies for the build noobishness, this was my first build a while back. <_<
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2016-08-06 at 06:58 AM.
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say I blame you as my non-bronze Corsair 850w PSU from 2010 took a shit and took my GPU with it.

Unless you're planning on running a bunch of gimmick shit or go xfire/sli, I just recommend a solid 600-650w deal.

This is what I got and it serves me well: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

Nice and quiet as well.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Behold my very old '11 rig that direly needs updating and I'm slowly getting around to it:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.48 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ B&H)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Total: $481.22
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-06 02:52 EDT-0400

I suppose I don't need 750w either now that I think about it. I'm intending on probably just getting an entirely new build such as the Unicorn or Narwhal on build of the month, but was looking for a power supply in case this one craps out before then. Apologies for the build noobishness, this was my first build a while back. <_<
    This is a good build, nothing to be ashamed of. Forget Unicorn and Narwhal though, they are bad. Most of the time you're fine with a good 550W PSU or can push for 650W if you're aiming for serious CPU+GPU overclocking and planning to have a serious videocard. Stuff you can safely choose from: Corsair RMx, EVGA G2/GS, Seasonic X, Cooler Master V, XFX XTR, Antec EDGE. All of those are 80+ Gold rated fully modular PSUs.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Can't say I blame you as my non-bronze Corsair 850w PSU from 2010 took a shit and took my GPU with it.

Unless you're planning on running a bunch of gimmick shit or go xfire/sli, I just recommend a solid 600-650w deal.

This is what I got and it serves me well: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

Nice and quiet as well.
    Yeah that's one of the ones I was looking at, might snag that one.

This is a good build, nothing to be ashamed of. Forget Unicorn and Narwhal though, they are bad. Most of the time you're fine with a good 550W PSU or can push for 650W if you're aiming for serious CPU+GPU overclocking and planning to have a serious videocard. Stuff you can safely choose from: Corsair RMx, EVGA G2/GS, Seasonic X/G/G v2, Cooler Master V, XFX XTR, Antec EDGE. All of those are 80+ Gold rated fully modular PSUs.
    Nice list! Yeah I was looking at the EVGA G2, likely the one I'll get. and out of curiosity, why are the unicorn and narwhal builds bad? Overpriced?

Nice list! Yeah I was looking at the EVGA G2, likely the one I'll get. and out of curiosity, why are the unicorn and narwhal builds bad? Overpriced?
    Yep. Also choices for Narwhal are plain bad/outdated: case, first SSD option, cooler, videocards, HDD.

just go with evga modular. 650 w +

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Also choices for Narwhal are plain bad/outdated: case, first SSD option, cooler, videocards, HDD.
    Ah okay. Well crap. Don't suppose you have a recommendation on a brand spankin' new build then? Something that can handle like Dragon Age Inquisition or Witcher 3 ultra settings? I wanna go maximum beefiness. I was leaning towards Unicorn once Black Friday hits because it seems like it hits the nail on all the stuff I'd want for ultra settings on high-end games and future games as well for a while(though I'll try and snag a 1070/1080 I think).

Quote Originally Posted by White Spider Association View Post
    just go with evga modular. 650 w +
    Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna get.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2016-08-07 at 10:51 PM.

Ah okay. Well crap. Don't suppose you have a recommendation on a brand spankin' new build then? Something that can handle like Dragon Age Inquisition or Witcher 3 ultra settings? I wanna go maximum beefiness. I was leaning towards Unicorn once Black Friday hits because it seems like it hits the nail on all the stuff I'd want for ultra settings on high-end games and future games as well for a while(though I'll try and snag a 1070/1080 I think).

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.69 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $992.10
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-07 21:41 EDT-0400

If you want more beef go with GTX 1070 and 650W PSU.