Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Hold on...HOLD ON!!

Rift is still going? This falls into the same category as "The Secret World" fun to play through....until you get to the endgame and realized there is nothing there but an endless chasm awaiting you. At least in TSW you could dress nice...
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    So you would have prefered to pay more the xpack itself than pay less to unlock the earrings that you never needed before? Such a small thing to complain about.
    Yes I would happily pay for a Rift xpac to have it all than a lot of the shit they gate behind sub or paywalls nowadays. Funny how during the early f2p days it was doing amazingly then Nightmare Tide and the cash cow hits and suddenly the playerbase disappears. There was nothing wrong with f2p initially with Rift until they started gating stupid crap behind paywalls. Also a gear slot is a gear slot. It helps your character. Name one big MMO other than rift that forces you to obnoxiously grind to unlock a gear slot or pay real money. Also you think patrons getting phone support although it has recently been changed is fair? No it is not. Phone support should be an option whether you are a free player or a sub. Trion have disgusting practices with Rift and I will be surprised if this xpac fails it isn't shut down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nethlord View Post
    Hold on...HOLD ON!!

Rift is still going? This falls into the same category as "The Secret World" fun to play through....until you get to the endgame and realized there is nothing there but an endless chasm awaiting you. At least in TSW you could dress nice...
    Barely. Last I checked there were about 30 raiding guilds. As for playerbase I'd be amazed if it is at 100k.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-08-05 at 10:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    To be fair, there's not a single F2P or even B2P game that doesn't sell experience boosts in some form. They're not that significant anyways since they do little at max level unless you really want to grind a ton of PA levels.
    Dota 2 isn't an MMORPG, but it's still a f2p game where you get literally every possible aspect of gameplay for free. The only things sold are cosmetics, and certain event tickets to watch in-game.

There are arguments to be made for why this works in Dota vs other games, but I feel the important thing is that the quality of the game (and its free aspect) reaches enough people that cosmetics alone make it an incredible success.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    so, thats like half the people you would find on orgrimmar in the morning

Hopefully they have fixed their weird ass momentum after a high jump
    On what server? Also, why ALWAYS compare to WoW... Who cares how it compares to other mmos, as long as there are enough people in the game
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    On what server? Also, why ALWAYS compare to WoW... Who cares how it compares to other mmos, as long as there are enough people in the game
    I'll be that guy.

Because WoW is the better game and Rift is a fall from grace from its 2011 debut that started out decent.

Tirion is also a shitshow of a company the way it handles all of its games and the ones they do get are dogshit or barely decent.

I daresay that NCsoft might be a better studio.

Also, kinda sad that TERA has a more healthy playerbase and raiding scene and they barely have raids (glorified 7-10 man dungeons). :P
    Last edited by Usagi Senshi; 2016-08-06 at 04:02 AM.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I'll be that guy.

Because WoW is the better game and Rift is a fall from grace from its 2011 debut that started out decent.

Tirion is also a shitshow of a company the way it handles all of its games and the ones they do get are dogshit or barely decent.

I daresay that NCsoft might be a better studio.

Also, kinda sad that TERA has a more healthy playerbase and raiding scene and they barely have raids (glorified 7-10 man dungeons). :P
    I agree
    Wow is a better game
    Trion is a shit company
    Ncsoft isn't even bad, they shutdown like two whole games wowwee

But this rift xpac does look promising, I just dont see a reason to compare it to WoW, I don't compare any mmo to WoW really.

I compare RIFT more to EQ2 honestly
    Diablo Bore.

I agree
    Wow is a better game
    Trion is a shit company
    Ncsoft isn't even bad, they shutdown like two whole games wowwee

But this rift xpac does look promising, I just dont see a reason to compare it to WoW, I don't compare any mmo to WoW really.

I compare RIFT more to EQ2 honestly
    I compare it to WoW and other MMO's because at the end of the day they are asking for my $$$$.

Look at what Legion is releasing for $50, Look at what Heavensward (FFXIV) released for $50 and look at what Starfall is releasing with for $40.

The amount of content in this is less then a content patch in WoW or even in other f2p/b2p games like ESO and SWTOR.

Trion is a shit company and have shitted on each game they have released. I liked rift a lot and I will still say to this day its talent tree/class building is one of the best. But they went from p2p to a f2p model I praised then to a p2w model and now to a b2p model.

IMO This is what they had left in development and they are releasing it for one final cash grab before the game officially go's on life support.

Trion,Daybreak and NCsoft is three company's I personally will avoid due to how they have handled there games.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-06 at 04:17 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Because trion started the war "We are not on Azeroth anymore", remember those shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I compare it to WoW and other MMO's because at the end of the day they are asking for my $$$$.

Look at what Legion is releasing for $50, Look at what Heavensward (FFXIV) released for $50 and look at what Starfall is releasing with for $40.

The amount of content in this is less then a content patch in WoW or even in other f2p/b2p games like ESO and SWTOR.

Trion is a shit company and have shitted on each game they have released. I liked rift a lot and I will still say to this day its talent tree/class building is one of the best. But they went from p2p to a f2p model I praised then to a p2w model and now to a b2p model.

IMO This is what they had left in development and they are releasing it for one final cash grab before the game officially go's on life support.

Trion,Daybreak and NCsoft is three company's I personally will avoid due to how they have handled there games.
    I don't understand how
    5 new zones (RIFT zones in terms of scale shit on other mmos
    2 new dungeons (FFXIV only had 2 in roulette or whatever in 3.0)
    1 new raid tier

Seems pretty standard TBH

- - - Updated - - -

Because trion started the war "We are not on Azeroth anymore", remember those shirts?
    I remember, but that was 2011
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    the expansion is launching with a whopping 2 dungeons worries me.
    Confirmed on the Live Stream by the boss man himself, more Dungeons to get added, you seem to forget that Rift never releases all the content of an Expansion at the start so what you see advertised is not everything.

The raid he said will be coming in the first update 4.1 and he also confirmed it will be a 10-man and that possibly more 10-mans will be the way forward, he didn't outright say no more 20-mans so it's a case of wait and see

There will also be something added to help new players or "players not really knowledgeable with their class" to get raid ready, sounds like some sort of Proving Ground, not sure how i feel about that as it got such a "great" reception in WoW. Nothing was shown of the new zones, didn't really give too much away but did say future Live Streams will have the zones played through.

I guess they're keeping all the juicy stuff for Gamescom in Germany in the next week or two so expect more news to filter out after that ends.

Because trion started the war "We are not on Azeroth anymore"
    The fact that it stuck in your mind and you still talk about it over 5 and a half years later speaks for the power of advertising.

Trion’s Rift launched with an ad campaign tagline of “We’re not in Azeroth anymore.” While this might sound standoffish, Trion’s Scott Hartsman claims it mostly designed for a good laugh.

“For starters, I loved the campaign. When I first saw the campaign pitch I laughed my ass off. Very bluntly. We saw it and went, ‘Wow there’s no way we can do that. That means we have to do that’,” said Hartsman. “If people take it too literally and don’t take it as the well-intended humor it really is, it does invite people to go, ‘Oh well, if they re going to say that, then I’m going to make a checklist, and I’m going to go ding ding ding ding.”
    Source: http://www.alistdaily.com/media/warc...or-says-trion/
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2016-08-06 at 06:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand how
    1 new raid tier

I watched the live stream last night.

On release, your US$40 buys you 4 zones, 2 dungeons, a new type of rift and PvP thing, right now on release. Patch 4.1 will include the raid and fifth zone (maybe).

Cash shop will continue. Selling DLC's will continue. If they just stuck to cosmetics and XP boosts, it would be fair, but they appear to rush content to put weapons on the store for cash. Based on their track record, it's likely to have more of the same.

The primalist class is still not finished. Souls to be sold next year (maybe).
    Raids, Servers are still buggy and unstable.

If you're a new player, you need to unlock earrings to raid, so it's a minimum of an extra US$25.
    If you want everything unlocked, you pay:

US$30 for Storm Legion Souls (5 soles - one for each class)
    US$35 for Ascended pack (5 souls)
    US$60 for Planewalker Pack (includes earrings, Planewalker: Water Gear Unlock) or you need to buy Dream Souls + Earrings + PW individually.
    US$80 for PlaneTouched Wilds pack (Primalist - not complete) - maybe US$40 or so less if you only buy the class in the store.
    US$40 for "expansion"

The other issue is that this will most certainly partially alienate B2P'ers and F2P'ers, so expect late game to probably lose 1/2 their player base?

The marketing for this expansion seems to be aimed at only existing players.

A better idea to attract new players?
    US$60 for expansion unlock, earrings, planewalker, all classes (minus the primalist) would have been more fair - a kind of "WoW battlechest"

Removal of previous tier weapons or any items with stats on store, increasing drop chance of crafting items would be better to improve Quality of Life and remove the P2W stigma associated with the game. If you want to milk whales, sell Planar Attunement unlocks in packs of 100 levels, sell better XP, rep vials, full level boosts (1 level at a time)

As the marketing is now, I see this as a cash grab and it's going to cost them dearly.

And, it's sad that their marketing is so bad because almost 1/15th of the Rift Playerbase pitched up last night to watch the Live stream - like 800 people - of course, there were left-overs from the previous episodes of Trions other games, so maybe like 500 Rift players?

I don't understand how
    1 new raid tier

- - - Updated - - -

I remember, but that was 2011
    FF14 releases dungeons each patch to be fair. Idea of that game is less at the start due to faster content pacing. Also on the note of 20 man raids it's understandable with the amount of raiding guilds left in Rift. I mean how many of those 30 guilds can have a dedicated 20 man roster right?
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-08-06 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    So you would have prefered to pay more the xpack itself than pay less to unlock the earrings that you never needed before? Such a small thing to complain about.
    Are you joking? Are you actually defending item slots behind a paywall? Wow.. the fanbase has to be insane in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Wow.. the fanbase has to be insane in this game.
    They are. They really are. Earlier on in chat people were making the case that everyone should give Trion more money so Trion Devs can continue to eat. And if people want more, unbuggy, content,they should give Trion more money. They're incapable of telling us exactly what Trion have done to earn our money, however, and want us to donate it out of the goodness of our hearts simply because all the content is free currently. If more people paid up, maybe SFP would be free too!

The prevailing attitude is also that people who are paying for a Patron are automatically better than anyone who isn't. Its why I don't really get involved in Rift chat - Too many crazies on the loose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Rift is still going?

Are the earrings still gated behind a paywall/grind or are they unlocking them for everyone with this expansion? I have fond memories of vanilla Rift and would be happy to return if the P2W element is gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Are you joking? Are you actually defending item slots behind a paywall?
    His point went clear over your head and into orbit, the Expansion was totally free, you got all zones, all content, all dungeons, all raids, everything for free, to recoup the costs players got asked to buy earring slots, an item a heck of a lot cheaper than an Expansion and guess what? they cried and cried and cried, apparently getting an entire Expansion wasn't good enough, nope, no siree, they wanted it all, all for free.

This is why it's now buy this new Expansion, get everything, simple, it could have been a case of also getting this Expansion for free but the self entitled made their bed, now they get to sleep in it

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    everyone should give Trion more money so Trion Devs can continue to eat.
    Following on from that logic, WoW Devs must be eating lobster and caviar every night with the amount of money Blizzard makes from double and triple dipping it's players, take a look at this chart from 3 years ago:

Notice how it says 'Top 10 Online games by Free-to-play earnings'

Anyone like to explain how a Pay to play MMO with a sub can earn $213m from F2P transactions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Anyone like to explain how a Pay to play MMO with a sub can earn $213m from F2P transactions?
    Anyone care to explain what your fucking point is?

Why are you game bashing through comparisons?

This is not what this thread is about.

This is not about WoW.

Of course the thread turned into Slipmat bashing ;p

Either way, i really liked Rift when i played it, and followed the threads on the forums and on here for all those years despite quitting, just from reading you can tell there are some unacceptable things going on and how Trion has changed the way it works and that makes me not wanting to support it even in words.

I was going to try it out until I heard about the earings thing..... Why would they even do that? It makes no sense marketing wise. Also -they need to do a battlechest type thing at this point. If you really want to try out the game and see what it is about, the buy in cost is well over 100$, which is just too much for someone who wants to try out the game.

Such high costs discourage people from trying the game. It makes you think "wait a minute, if I wind up really liking this game and want to open end game, etc- I am going to have to spend well over 100$...... " You are more likely just to say "forget it" and go try something else.

- - - Updated - - -

His point went clear over your head and into orbit, the Expansion was totally free, you got all zones, all content, all dungeons, all raids, everything for free, to recoup the costs players got asked to buy earring slots, an item a heck of a lot cheaper than an Expansion and guess what? they cried and cried and cried, apparently getting an entire Expansion wasn't good enough, nope, no siree, they wanted it all, all for free.

This is why it's now buy this new Expansion, get everything, simple, it could have been a case of also getting this Expansion for free but the self entitled made their bed, now they get to sleep in it

Following on from that logic, WoW Devs must be eating lobster and caviar every night with the amount of money Blizzard makes from double and triple dipping it's players, take a look at this chart from 3 years ago:

Notice how it says 'Top 10 Online games by Free-to-play earnings'

Why on earth would you market your product that way? That makes no sense. Just charge 25$ for the expansion and make the earrings free...... Whoever decided to market it that way needs to be immediately fired and never let near an advertising office again (or sent back to school to learn how to properly advertise/. set up a pay model, etc).

They didn't forsee the problem paying for the earrings would cause? Really? Is this their first few days in the mmo genre?

That kind of rediculousness was exactly what I was pointing out. Its a very weak arguing position, however it's been the go-to one for Rift players everytime someone brings up Earrings, Planewalker, new souls and now 4.0. I see it constantly being used by players, including yourself Slipmat, to silence players that disagree with your point of view.

The prevailing train of thought, that the simple act of giving Trion more revenue, would make Rift better is baffling to me. As you've correctly pointed out, WoW made $213 million from free-to-play transactions in 2013, still charges a sub fee and has paid expansions and is still buggy, laggy and has a whole host of other issues including slow content releases. Why, then, would giving the Rift team more cash make the game any better? Not even the juggernaut in the industry with all of their profits can do that, so I really doubt Trion could even with the extra income.