Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm not even up to date with stereotypes, seriously.

Maybe someone should post a list and I will check point by point if it matches my experiences or not, lol.

Deleted
    Myself a little bit I guess, I was talented at any sport I touched when I was a teenager, and quite the popular kid among the girls. But I chose to spend my time gaming 8 hours a day instead of pursuing any of that. Bothered the hell out of my mum.

I got a female friend who's a good driver, likes playing games, she's blonde but really smart, very pretty but doesn't abuse it when working with men... And she's single.

Want her number? Don't... She's incredibly, INCREDIBLY short-tempered... I'd gladly date the Burning Legion instead...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    I know an Indian bloke who doesn't reek of curry.

Does that count?
    Depends. Did he dress with typical Indian clothing or like a westerner?

Can't really say I met anyone who shattered stereotypes, but I tend to read more into things. I know your average biker group (read: not crotch rocket) is probably filled with a bunch of awesome sweet guys. But I also don't buy into most racial stereotypes, I'm not going to think that all the Chinese guys are good at math or that your average jock is a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    *momfia

You're welcome. Never pass up an opportunity for a good portmanteau.
    Oh, that does roll easier on the tongue! Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Most people do,

If anything I take notice of people who are so unbelievably stereotypical that I am unable to believe they are real.

I once had a neighbor who was so gay it was almost unearthly. I mean every possible gay male stereotype was packed into one person that I was almost convinced I was in a badly written fan fiction.

OR I have a sorority sister who is now the essential technacolor haired tumblrite feminist that I await the day she becomes a /pol/ meme.

Or my friend who loves Jesus so much that he seems like he was a character in an evangelism ad and not a real human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Knew an asian who needed my help with math.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i myself am a mostly italian woman that cannot stand arguing and yelling
    You should hand in your mostly-italian card!

jk <3

The whitest human I know only drinks Hennessy straight when we go to the bars.

Favorite Ice-Cream: Vanilla
    Favorite Sport: Tennis
    Style: Only collared shirts tucked in neatly at the waist.
    Credit Score: Perfect

Drink of choice?: The alcohol that only tupac and other baller ass rappers enjoy. Hennessy.

I don't know how he does it. It tastes awful.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I knew an emo black kid that loved country and classical music.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would argue that all stereotypes are shattered when you dig deeper than your surface perspective. Stereotypes are formed when we assume people are only as we initially see them, in the context we see them.

Myself as example:
    Yesteryear: goth/h4x0r in highschool, pretty much the stereotype you might imagine, if you only knew my from classes/hallways/parties
    Why the stereotype is flawed: during the summers, I was a sailing instructor at the local yacht club (it was as preppy as you are envisioning), I was also on my schools star rowing team, on the chess team, and on the rugby team. If you saw me in grade 11 or 12, I probably looked a lot like a slacker, I certainly had the air about me - but part of the reason I always appeared to be skipping was because I only took 6/8 classes in grade 11, and 4/8 in grade 12, because I completed all the rest of the curriculum early: for the subjects I liked, I was a massive nerd.

Today: I wear a suit to work, where I do analysis on economic conditions for entering new markets, improving supply chains, and standardization, etc. We're the nerd-room of our company, we do the mathy stuff - it appears about as blanched corporate as it can get.
    Shattered: I took my girlfriend to the companies winter party / event thing, she's gothy/nerdy - covered in tattoos, etc. People thought we were an opposite attract thing, which really just demonstrates that the appearance/persona I portray for work is the polar opposite of who I am outside of work / in my personal time, because we're very much birds-of-a-feather

That stereotypical bully you had in school, or the nerd, or the cheerleader, etc - if you had gotten to know them better - who they really were - you'd see they weren't what you remember them as at all. We denounce bad movies for having one-dimensional characters, but that's because really we know that's not how the world works - we're all multi-dimensional - you just need to remember that when you see someone you think is a stereotype.

If anything, I would further suggest that when you see a truly stereotypical portrayal by someone - it is something they are actively trying to project - to cover up some insecurity.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    For example a cheerleader who likes fantasy novels or a football player who excels in science. Know any people who shatter stereotypes?
    I know dozens and myself of course. I pity those who live their lives surrounded by stereotypes.

Yep. I know a Palestinian woman. Muslim, with part arabic heritage. She is white with blue eyes and brown hair. Not exactly what I would associate a Palestinian with or someone with an arabic parent.

Deleted
    I met a vegan today that didnt have to talk about it non stop. Pretty amazed as its the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by jamisawesome View Post
    I've met my share of psychologically fragile weightlifters. It really shatters the stereotype that working out in and of itself is going to make someone "tough".
    At some point you go from "I want to get healthy and the best version of myself" to "I can never get big/cut/muscular enough".

Not only in the sense of bigorexia, but also "my muscle inserts are wrong" or "my beard is patchy", etc.

As you get closer to perfection, unfixable imperfections become proportionally larger and can turn into an obsession and this is a huge strain on the psyche.

My friend is an alcoholic and managed to get PhD in financial law on one of the better universities.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    At some point you go from "I want to get healthy and the best version of myself" to "I can never get big/cut/muscular enough".

Not only in the sense of bigorexia, but also "my muscle inserts are wrong" or "my beard is patchy", etc.

As you get closer to perfection, unfixable imperfections become proportionally larger and can turn into an obsession and this is a huge strain on the psyche.
    That sounds awful... especially the part about trying to fix a patchy beard by going to the gym

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I frequent 4chan, and am, in fact, not a shitlord.
    Do you have proof for these claims?

My friend is the epitome of this question.

He's black, grew up in a very rough area, his parents divorced early on, he lost his home to foreclosure, and was forced to share clothes with his father at one point due to a lack of money. He survived on condiment sandwiches at times too. You can almost guess what should have happened next.

In actuality; he's a former honorably-discharged Marine, absolutely loves heavy metal and goes to shows all the time, was a hardcore WoW player when he moved in with me (after his foreclosure he was going to have to relocate, leaving all his friends behind -- instead my father and I took him in and he lived with us for our remaining years of junior high), and is now attending a prestigious college prepping to go to Law School to become a Lawyer. GG adversity and stereotypes.

Outside of that, I'd say I'm a stereotype breaker too. I'm a former professional basketball player who's pretty nerdy and has played WoW for 12 years. When I wasn't practicing, drilling, watching tape, or rehabbing for my next game, I was playing WoW lol.

I have a Mexican friend who hates jalapenos.