Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question Is Go'el that stupid of a name?

I pay attention to these small but meaningless things. Since Cataclysm, Thrall as we all know him, has been called "Go'el" in-universe more often as that's his real name. I notice the people that refer to him with his real name are his friends or loved ones, and the ones that despise him (Garrosh) or are uneasy of him still call him Thrall. Fitting since "Thrall" scathingly means "slave" in human tongue.

As far as players are concerned though, no one I know, even lore enthusiasts, have ever referred to him as Go'el. If it's brought up, it's usually mocked on how asinine of a name it supposedly is. Is that so? I used to always call him Thrall years ago but in recent years I conditioned myself to cease doing so. He has lots of fans and is iconic as a character in this franchise so I'm mildly surprised even after quite a while now, no one respects this development of his.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2016-08-06 at 11:52 PM.

Yes, it is that stupid.

Thrall is secretly Superman.

His in-game character name has been Thrall for the longest time, and still is. No one is going to stop calling him that.

Yes, it is stupid.

Go'el is emblematic of the downturn his character took for me. Everything I dislike about Thrall now is rooted in "Go'el".

Why is Go'el a stupid name? I take it as a homage to Superman being Kal'el.

Thrall= awesome warrior orc, creating the horde and freeing his people
    go'el= shaman who whiens and fucks up everywhere ,but meanwhile is the one who gets to do all the cool stuff ,like finish off deathwing...

thats why people dont like to call him go'ell cause we still hold onto when he was thrall as super cool

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, it probably wouldn't have received as much shit as it did if it wasn't for the "el" part equating to Superman. I believe they could have revealed his name was nearly anything other than that, and people would have been like "Yea, okay Thrall would have an orc name. I'm still calling him Thrall, but I'm good with Duraka."

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    I notice the people that refer to him with his real name are his friends or loved ones

I used to always call him Thrall years ago but in recent years I conditioned myself to cease doing so..
    I think the bigger question here is how did you become one of his friends or a loved one?

7+ Year Old Account
    Not really, but it just sounds off for a WoW character. It more seems like something from Star Wars.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniri View Post
    Go'el is emblematic of the downturn his character took for me. Everything I dislike about Thrall now is rooted in "Go'el".
    And you don't see it as symbolic of a mere slaveboy Orc evolving into a hero?

It is absolutely horrendous and signaled the demise of my favorite Warcraft character. The Thrall I know, would have said this.

"Goel? No, that is not my name. My name is Thrall. Not because I am a slave to the humans, but because I am a slave to my people. From this day forward until the day I die I shall live for my clan, for the orcs and FOR THE HORDE!"

Last edited by Budong; 2016-08-07 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    And you don't see it as symbolic of a mere slaveboy Orc evolving into a hero?
    He was already a hero in warcraft 3. What he evolved into in cata was a mary sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    It is absolutely horrendous and signaled the demise of my favorite Warcraft character. The Thrall I know, would have said this.

"Goel? No, that is not my name. My name is Thrall. Not because I am a slave to the humans, but because I am a slave to my people. From this day forward until the day I die I shall live for my clan, for the orcs and FOR THE HORDE!"

but it's a major plot point that Thrall abandoned the Horde and left it in the hands of Garrosh, who expressed his doubts of leadership. He then refused to acknowledge any responsibility when confronted about this in their duel.

To me if you add sea before its name it makes Seago'el, which looks like "seagull"

7+ Year Old Account
    go'el is an embarrassment.
    i want thrall back, sadly that ship is long gone.

Formerly known as Arafal

Title of Warchief passes to Blackhand, passes to Orgrim, PASSES TO NER'ZHUL... PASSES TO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'EL!!!

Yes, it is THAT stupid.

It's basically a Kryptonian name a la Superman, only orc-ified; And with little to no lore reason for him having such a weird 'true' name, considering how all the other orcs just named their kids after random noises and blackmetal bands.

I guess Thrall's folks were trendy orcs who thought a name like 'Topkek Murderfist' was beneath them.
    ~RAWR!

It sure as hell is a stupid name whenever Aggra yells it out...