Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ive got alchemy/herb
    inscription/herb
    LW /skinning
    I play a herd of druids, I know weird so I mostly wear leather.

Im not to sure Im gonna lvl my warlock I may park her in the garrison and make bags, she is my tailor/enchanter

Im thinking of making an alt I have thats not quite 100 a miner/enchanter

Deleted
    At launch enchanting and alchemy. After a while vanity items such as mounts, pets, toys. Bags is overrated as people have tons of space now that transmog wardrobe has been added.

enchanting+tailor if you're cloth
    enchanting+jewel other

if you're lazy (remember that we don't have flying mount in legion) erb+mining

profit

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leatherworking and a huge pile of dragonscale and old recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Lastly, Fishing is often overlooked but if you want those Bloods for crafting, better start leveling up fishing.
    What's the Blood gathering rate like for fishing in comparison to gathering professions? Have double crafting on my main and I'd really rather not drop them :x

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathoric View Post
    I believe it will be Enchanting and Jewel crafting.

Very much doubt Inscription will make a boat load off of the tomes. If anything, Guilds will deem it necessary to farm the mats for the guild themselves, kinda like Feasts. So i assume prices will be around where pots, flasks are now. Trinkets only sell at the start of the expansion, glyphs are butchered beyond relief. The only thing i see making some decent profit is the 10% damage increasing runes for certain bosses.

Enchanting is always decent, everyone needs enchants. More enchanting options are coming in legion, we're not just restricted to neck , cloak and rings and weapons now. Illusions will no doubt be popular as well. Plus you've always got the good old Disenchant method, now that dust isn't freely given out. Can couple Disenchanting with the ore shuffle from JCing, make green necks /rings with the unpopular gems and disenchant for dust.

Jewel crafting should be decent, Epic rings and epic Necks with the necks having some added effects. These always sell in the beginning of an expansion. Ore shuffle should bring a nice profit too for mid expansion.

Alchemy is always decent, everyone needs pots and flasks, A lot of transmuting options in legion, i think one option was Fish to gems so should be a good source of income.

Leatherworking should be somewhat decent at the start since the amount of leather classes in the game now, will no doubt have the biggest competition in the BoE epic department though, but suffers making cash long term.

Tailoring I'd stay clear of, There's no bigger bags this expansion afaik, only has the BoE epic cloth going for it which might make you a quick buck at the start, but not long term.

Blacksmithing i have no experience with, but i assume the epic weapons will sell well and perhaps the mount speed increasing item.

Engineering is a no go.

Gathering profs is always good, providing you put up with people undercutting you constantly.

Yea "epic" weapons surely will sell well when we have artifacts all through the expansion. (there won't be weapons to make)

Any profession can make money if you contribute in it.

Go with gathering progressions if you want high gold/hour and want to spend hours farming mats, you can make a ton of gold on launch if you spend a lot of time farming. There is also less mats because most raiders wont be gathering because their time is spent on gearing up main and alts for split runs with no time for professions.

Crafting professions require less time but can earn more if you know how to use the auction house well. I would go with Enchanting, Alchemy, JC as best bets. Crafting gear seem very lackluster this expansion with mythic 0 dungeons being available on launch and titanforged system will make that gear way better than crafted gear. I think a lot of people will just buy 1 or 2 maxed BoEs when mythic opens to fill out missing slots.

7+ Year Old Account
    LW tailor and BS. As always.

Quote Originally Posted by Lioo View Post
    Any profession can make money if you contribute in it.
    Key word; "Best"

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Key word; "Best"
    Can you define the "Best" for profession to make some money?
    In net profit they are all equal mostly, with gathering professions being behind crafting professions overall.

Spent the last 3 hours researching this topic myself on various forums and blogs. It seems like there is a major bottleneck - BoP Blood of Sargeras. It is required for vast majority of high level recipes of almost all professions, with the exception of inscription. However, and here is a trick, it can only be gathered in any meaningful quantities by gathering professions. Also, it is required for any crafted gear upgrade. Professions themselves do not craft gear upgrades in Legion and players must do it themselves, using this BoP resourse. Therefore, each player needs to have a gathering profession. Period. Unless you hope to never craft or use crafted gear and therefore never have the need to upgrade it (level 850 max currently, to increase in further patches. Darkmoon trinkets are insanely powerful btw). No more dual crafting combos. You will simply be unable to craft. Of course, tiny amounts of Blood of Sargeras can be looted from special quests, world bosses, fishing (if you spend artifact power on it... yeah...), but amounts seem to be negligible.

As for crafting professions:

Inscription is a choice for early days / weeks / a month. Darkmoon cards, as I said above, are insane. Especially for crit based damage dealers.

Alchemy is a joke. You can keep it on an alt, but there is absolutely no need to main it. Unless you consider longer flask duration a powerful money maker. Potions are not going to be buch more expensive than in draenor in general.

Tailoring, Blacksmithing and Leatherworking are OKayish. You are limited to crafting basic gear (815ilvl vs 825 in heroic dungeons) after all. How well mounts and pets are going to sell I have no idea. But it is not like we need a gazillion of them for every character since they are account wide. However, you will be able to craft obliterium from you crafted gear and sell it on AH. It is like disenchant for non enchanters. It is required to upgrade gear along with Blood of Sargeras

Engineering - no.

Enchanting - likely to be the best money maker in the long run. Many new enchantment slots (jewelry, gloves, bracers, cloacks etc...). Insanely expensive enchantments, unless epic gear for disenchanting is like common trash. Prices for raw materials are going to be extremely high - virtually a guarantee for decent profit margin on disenchanting stuff.

Jewelcrafting - also very decent. All crafted jewelry contains a gem slot. So you basically sell 2 items in a bundle, a ring for example and a stone for it. Again, recipes require Blood.

In my personal opinion, best professions in terms of gold generation are going to be:

1. Enchanting + any gathering profession.
    2. Jewelcrafting + mining
    3. Inscription + herbalism
    4. Tailoring / Blacksmithing / leatherworking + gathering profession that matches (does not matter for tailoring).
    5. Alchemy + herbalism or dual gathering might work early expansion.

What will not work:

Dual crafting like enchanting + tailoring or jewelcrafting + enchanting. You NEED Blood of Sargeras from crafting professions to craft stuff. And it is BoP.
    Engineering is rather dead in terms of gold generation.

All of that is my opinion, based on numerous sources, combined in this one post. It may or may not represent truth, as profession balance can change in an instant/ However, as of 25th of august, this situation seems very likely in Legion.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2016-08-25 at 12:21 AM.

yeah I'd go enchanting/herbalism (with enchanting functioning essentially as a second gathering profession early on.) There's always a premium on enchanting mats early on and converting all the random leveling greens/blues into mats is a great way of cashing in. This is the route I'm gonna go on my first alt (don't reaaaalllly wanna drop my druid's inscription for herbs.)

there are also other sources of blood (world quests, dungeons, etc.) It does seem like a gathering prof will be pretty necessary if you want to do large-scale crafting though

You definitely don't NEED a gathering profession to gain blood of sargeras. Sure, gatherimg should net more bloods overall but there are plenty of ways to obtain good amounts of it without gathering. Just running dungeons and doing world quests will provide you with a good amount. Remember flying won't be unlocked until a fair way through the expansion so gathering will be quite tedious, and time consuming, and especially annoying if you're on a pvp realm. This is important to take into account if you're thinking of dropping a lvl700 crafting profession, with a good recipe collection, for a gathering profession in legion. Though for the same reasons this will drive up the price of ore and herbs so gathering will be valuable in itself just selling mats, but definitely not 100% needed to craft. Dual crafting is still viable and will be more appealing to those who don't want to use ground mounts and run node to node for hours while potentially getting ganked in the process. Just thought thats worth pointing out for those who may still be undecided.

TLDR. Gathering will result in more blood of sargeras, but isn't needed to craft. Bloods can be obtained through multiple other sources, some of which will appeal more to people than farming nodes for hours on a ground mount.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    ugh, still trying to decide if i wanna stick with tailoring/mining on my main 100 that i'm leveling first. or if i should go enchanting/tailoring. or maybe just wait a week to farm some ore before powerleveling enchanting to 700 with my 5k draenic dust.

the second guy i'm leveling is my spriest who's mining/Ench or maybe my mage who's JC/ench. my 4th guy is my herbalist/scribe, might switch him with my third guy though. Idk. Anyone have any input for me that's had experience with making lots of gold with profs/beta exp?

I have Mining / Eng atm and thinking about dropping eng and get Herbalism or Skinning (for the dual gathering combo).
    Is there any use of Blood of Sargeras if i go double gathering? Since i can't craft anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezymode View Post
    You definitely don't NEED a gathering profession to gain blood of sargeras. Sure, gatherimg should net more bloods overall but there are plenty of ways to obtain good amounts of it without gathering. Just running dungeons and doing world quests will provide you with a good amount. Remember flying won't be unlocked until a fair way through the expansion so gathering will be quite tedious, and time consuming, and especially annoying if you're on a pvp realm. This is important to take into account if you're thinking of dropping a lvl700 crafting profession, with a good recipe collection, for a gathering profession in legion. Though for the same reasons this will drive up the price of ore and herbs so gathering will be valuable in itself just selling mats, but definitely not 100% needed to craft. Dual crafting is still viable and will be more appealing to those who don't want to use ground mounts and run node to node for hours while potentially getting ganked in the process. Just thought thats worth pointing out for those who may still be undecided.

TLDR. Gathering will result in more blood of sargeras, but isn't needed to craft. Bloods can be obtained through multiple other sources, some of which will appeal more to people than farming nodes for hours on a ground mount.
    That is a difference between a money making profession and the one that you use only for your immediate needs. Sure, you can rely on dungeon drops for blood to provide you with personal upgrades, buy the rest of resources on the AH if needed. To make gold, you actually need to either craft few extremely expensive items (enchanting, might be inscription depending on luck), or craft a steady supply of moderately expensive, but bottlenecked items - Obliterium is a good example. Gathering blood from dungeon drops is feasible if you are a tank and a healer combo on a gathering spree. But if you are a damage dealing class, prepare for enormous queues. Best combination imho is the enchanting + herbalism. Herbalism provides blood, starlight roses and felwort, that are likely to be in short supply. Roses and felwort can be sold if you do not need them. Because they are in limited supply and are frequently needed by other professions, prices are going to be very high for a long time. Enchanting is self sufficient and sometimes generates blood on disenchant. If you have an alt alchemist, you can dump excess herbs and turn them into flasks and potions. However, maining an alchemist seems like a bad idea, since you will either lose a lot due to not having a way to disenchant unwanted BoP gear, or miss out on having to buy ingredients for your potions (or spend time grinding on an alt, that can be used to level your primary character).

I must admit that this is theorycrafting and speculation at this point. If Blizz were to remove a major bottleneck in form of BoP Blood of Sargeras, many professions might be very different in terms of gold performance. Other bottlenecks include rare or limited supply per day components like felwort and starlight roses (profession quests only atm). However, these are likely to drop in value eventually, just like it was with alchemist's catalyst in Draenor. That said, having an alchemist alt might be beneficial for the future. Although there is no transmute of enchanting crystal at the moment, I would not be surprised if they add it later in the expansion, the way they did that in virtually every expansion.

PS: Even if farming blood is easy in dungeons, you will still miss out. Simply because you can not do dungeons and farm leather, ore or herbs at the same time.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2016-08-25 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    At launch enchanting and alchemy. After a while vanity items such as mounts, pets, toys. Bags is overrated as people have tons of space now that transmog wardrobe has been added.
    If you think you're going to be able to do alchemy without an herb source that isn't the AH, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you want to use the AH, you're gonna have a broke time.

I decided to go herb/ench, dropping alchemy entirely. Alchemy was DOA in beta. The new potions suck badly. The new alch stone is horrible, it's ilvl is even worse than that of heroic dungeons and I'm not even sure you can upgrade it with Obliterum. The one bonus they have is that they are going to have the easiest time of cranking out early Obliterum, provided they can get the bracers needed, since you can obliterate mass quantities of cheap potions for ash in the forge. Even then, you don't need to be an alch to make said potions, it's just more convenient.

Herbs are going to be insane for the first week. I'd tell you why, but you'll find out soon if you're a blacksmith. Or a rogue.

So I will just gather herbs myself and have an alch friend (or alt) craft for me.
    Last edited by Farabee; 2016-08-25 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    If you think you're going to be able to do alchemy without an herb source that isn't the AH, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you want to use the AH, you're gonna have a broke time.

I decided to go herb/ench, dropping alchemy entirely. Alchemy was DOA in beta. The new potions suck badly. The new alch stone is horrible, it's ilvl is even worse than that of heroic dungeons and I'm not even sure you can upgrade it with Obliterum. The one bonus they have is that they are going to have the easiest time of cranking out early Obliterum, provided they can get the bracers needed, since you can obliterate mass quantities of cheap potions for ash in the forge. Even then, you don't need to be an alch to make said potions, it's just more convenient.

Herbs are going to be insane for the first week. I'd tell you why, but you'll find out soon if you're a blacksmith. Or a rogue.

So I will just gather herbs myself and have an alch friend (or alt) craft for me.
    +1. That is the plan. Not even sure about crushing potions into obliterium dust. Don't you need a ton of them? I mean crushing basic gear nets you 10-12 dust. Crushing 815 legs or chest nets around 70 dust. How much dust does a potion create? 1-2? You are very likely to be better off selling herbs and buying dust on the AH.

Do you get less mats from disenchanting if your skill is lower?